PDA

View Full Version : Rated Version DVD Problems?

Andre3000
12-18-2007, 07:39 PM
I was on IMDB today, and people were saying that the rated DVD had bad quality due to the 2 sided disk for the widescreen and fullscreen version, I just wanted to know if anyone who bought the rated version noticed this?

Franchise
12-18-2007, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't know why. The widescreen version and fullscreen version are available separately and not on the same disc that I know of.

The Ox
12-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Both versions are widescreen i asked questions and everything and bought both versions the unrated and the theatrical version and both are widescreen they have different covers though i wanted full screen myself.

rxfiend
12-18-2007, 11:56 PM
I've been reading some posts on IMDB as well and it seems that there are versions that include both widescreen and fullscreen versions on a dual side dvd. Then there are some posting that they have the theatrical cut on a single sided disc in widescreen only. WTF!? How many different versions of this release are there? lol

The picture problem on the theatrical cut seems, from what I have gathered, is a progressive option turned off, or something like that. This seems to appear on the discs that are dual sided.

ILoveHalloween3
12-19-2007, 12:29 AM
I didn't even know anyone was buying the T-cut. I went to both Circuit City & Wal-Mart today, and neither even had stocked the T-cut.

It was all row after row of the D-cut.

CritterKoas
12-19-2007, 12:40 AM
I've been reading some posts on IMDB as well and it seems that there are versions that include both widescreen and fullscreen versions on a dual side dvd. Then there are some posting that they have the theatrical cut on a single sided disc in widescreen only. WTF!? How many different versions of this release are there? lol

The picture problem on the theatrical cut seems, from what I have gathered, is a progressive option turned off, or something like that. This seems to appear on the discs that are dual sided.

i have both versions and mine is perfect, still gotta get the hot topic, Circuit City, and Best Buy versions

rxfiend
12-19-2007, 02:21 AM
being the fan boy that I am, I went out and picked up the TC disc (planning on getting it eventually anyway). I popped in the disc (which is dual sided by the way) and it plays fine. Maybe some copies are having problems, but definitely not all.

I'm glad I did this because the Full frame transfer is actually showing more footage.

http://216.69.134.192/wide01.jpg
http://216.69.134.192/full01.jpg

http://216.69.134.192/wide02.jpg
http://216.69.134.192/full02.jpg

http://216.69.134.192/wide03.jpg
http://216.69.134.192/full03.jpg

tabby
12-19-2007, 05:22 AM
I didn't see any original T-cuts at HMV, just the D-cuts stacked on the shelf. I'll bet you guys anything that some like the full cut because they got to see Lynda's...you know as Michael's choking her.

Khan
12-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Umm...posting full frontal nudity has to be against the rules here.

Todd
12-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Did it make you blush?

Franchise
12-19-2007, 08:45 AM
It's a comparison so I think it's warranted. I'm becoming quite laid back in my old age.

1978 COLLECTOR
12-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Glorious day for us 14 year olds everywhere!

Todd
12-19-2007, 09:41 AM
It's a comparison so I think it's warranted. I'm becoming quite laid back in my old age.
I thought you saw more with widescreen and things were cropped in full screen???

Khan
12-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Did it make you blush?

No, but I figured it had to break some rule.

I guess I was mistaken. :)

The Dark Shape
12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I thought you saw more with widescreen and things were cropped in full screen???

It looks like Halloween was shot Super 35, meaning they filmed 1.33:1 but were intending to go out widescreen. You can still see extra material to the sides.

H-Field Hero
12-19-2007, 10:03 AM
It looks like Halloween was shot Super 35, meaning they filmed 1.33:1 but were intending to go out widescreen. You can still see extra material to the sides.Wasn't this or something similar to it a concern of yours during filming? I recall you saying something to me about it.

Also... studioes still waste time, money, and effort with full frame versions of movies? I thought that went out a few years ago.

Khan
12-19-2007, 10:10 AM
There are still people out there who are "annoyed by those black bars.":crazy:

1978 COLLECTOR
12-19-2007, 10:14 AM
After seeing all of this, I will be getting 4 versions of the dvd...

Theatrical Fullscreen
Theatrical Widescreen (this one should come with the extradisc when I go to cc)
Director's Uncut
Special Casing...

Khan
12-19-2007, 10:14 AM
You know, that exclusive may be sold out by now.

1978 COLLECTOR
12-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Well, that is why people created ebay. And the 3d casing is being sold on the site... so I am ok...

Khan
12-19-2007, 10:21 AM
You will pay double on eBay, but you are correct.

nitechild
12-19-2007, 10:21 AM

I was thinking the very same thing. Damn, I feel disappointed. I go out and buy the "Unrated Director's Cut" and there is no full frontal nudity in mine, but there it is in the R-rated version.

Another thing that's disappointing, which someone else mentioned here yesterday, is that the DVD includes no booklet whatsoever. This would be acceptable if it's an unknown indie film company releasing the DVD, but Dimension? They could have at least thrown in a simple one page chapter index!

1978 COLLECTOR
12-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Well, you see more in both wide screen and full screen. In widescreen, the image shows more left to right. The fullscreen cuts off some of the left to right to show more of the screen up and down. You sacrifice one for the other. And sadly, Lynda doesn't have a brazilian wax...

Todd
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
It looks like Halloween was shot Super 35, meaning they filmed 1.33:1 but were intending to go out widescreen. You can still see extra material to the sides.
I guess I'll have to do like others are and get a couple different versions of it.
I had hoped the unrated D cut would be enough.

Todd
12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I was thinking the very same thing. Damn, I feel disappointed. I go out and buy the "Unrated Director's Cut" and there is no full frontal nudity in mine, but there it is in the R-rated version.

Another thing that's disappointing, which someone else mentioned here yesterday, is that the DVD includes no booklet whatsoever. This would be acceptable if it's an unknown indie film company releasing the DVD, but Dimension? They could have at least thrown in a simple one page chapter index!
I'm pretty sure I saw Lindas whole birthday suit in the unrated d-cut.
I couldn't care less about that aspect, but it's too bad they have to make all these different versions. Greed isn't good.

Danny Strode
12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I bought the theatrical cut, but haven't watched it yet. As a matter of fact, I haven't even opened it.

Franchise
12-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I have 3 damn copies of this movie now. Ugh.

rxfiend
12-19-2007, 01:15 PM

Well it is for comparison and besides, most of us looking at this thread has the film, so it's not like seeing anything new. People are too hard up on nudity. (but violence is ok :nodsmile: )

Silverpsycho
12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
I really appreciat the comparison shots rxfiend, so thank you for posting those. I am pretty surprised that the widescreen is cropped so much like that but at the same time...I personally don't mind some things that are cut out of the top and bottom of the screen. This reminds me of my Martin dvd, which I was told is worse than the past Fullscreen edition due to poor quality and the film is seriously cropped. I am usually dead set against Fullscreen but I may give the fullscreen side of Zombie's HalloweeN a watch just to see if I really notice anything more than the widescreen side.

Also I believe this was asked before, but was Zombie's HalloweeN released on HD or Blu-ray yet? I'm sure it will be available on one format or the other (maybe both) later on, but Dimension goes with Blu-ray right? I know they are affiliated with Disney and Disney is Blu-ray only all the way. If anyone knows the real answer and not a guess, I'd appreciate it getting the info. Thanks. :)

tabby
12-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Did it make you blush?

no, but it made me look like this::eek:.

myers2004
12-19-2007, 06:15 PM
I didn't have any problem with the t-cut I bought or the d-cut. I must say in mine the full frontal was there though :D I still am amazed at how the three films change even if just subtle ways the changes in each are nice IMO. I do wish they had put a bit more in for as was said a chapter index or a booklet but then again I guess when you have a million different versions it could get expensive.

Oh on another note this Blockbuster getting the sole rights essentially to rent it first sucked as I wanted one of th rental posters I was trying to get. lol

ILoveHalloween3
12-19-2007, 08:25 PM
After seeing all of this, I will be getting 4 versions of the dvd...

Theatrical Fullscreen
Theatrical Widescreen (this one should come with the extradisc when I go to cc)
Director's Uncut
Special Casing...

I believe the CC-exclusive 3rd disc bonus was only available with the D-cut.

1978 COLLECTOR
12-19-2007, 08:31 PM
If someone can please customise a cover for me to house 5 (if I can find someone selling on disc the workprint, 6) disc in a five disc set that would be fantastic. This is craziness...

Franchise
12-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Don't talk about buying bootlegs. Final warning.

And don't be lazy. Find the movie the old fashioned way.

madmax4000
12-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Glorious day for us 14 year olds everywhere!

and whys that??

tama_drummer91
12-19-2007, 11:12 PM
and whys that??

We all got to see beaver! Geez, its not that big of a deal.

madmax4000
12-19-2007, 11:17 PM
We all got to see beaver! Geez, its not that big of a deal.

lol tru
choice drumkits m8 i own a tama kit :bow:

tama_drummer91
12-19-2007, 11:34 PM
lol tru
choice drumkits m8 i own a tama kit :bow:

Love my Tamas. Anyways, back to fullscreen or widescreen mumbo jumbo.

I hate to take over anyones thread, but hey you got to be friendly.

MrShape666
12-20-2007, 03:28 AM
I had this problem with it at first. I exchanged it ant the new one plays fine.

punkrocklove
12-20-2007, 03:31 AM

I wish there was a warning!
I'm on college computers.

Andre3000
12-20-2007, 05:17 AM
I rented a copy, and it actually had this problem.. It looked like a burnt movie, which isn't cool.. I hope this doesn't happen when I buy it.. I can just exchange it I suppose.

halo thirty one
12-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Just to clear things up a bit, there are only 2 actual versions of this on dvd; the unrated director's cut and the theatrical cut that is a double sided dvd to contain both wide screen and full screen versions of the movie. Is that correct? All the other differences are just store exclusives created to make the shopper go to Best Buy over Circuit City or Hot Topic. Or, as some of us are doing, going to all 3 places. Such a die hard fan base Halloween has. Bring back the thorn!!! It will make money!

Khan
12-20-2007, 06:19 AM
I wish there was a warning!
I'm on college computers.

Slap a NSFW on that baby!:roflmao:

Bring back the thorn!!! It will make money!

The studio won't even make official comics of it, but that is for another thread.

Todd
12-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Just to clear things up a bit, there are only 2 actual versions of this on dvd; the unrated director's cut and the theatrical cut that is a double sided dvd to contain both wide screen and full screen versions of the movie. Is that correct? All the other differences are just store exclusives created to make the shopper go to Best Buy over Circuit City or Hot Topic. Or, as some of us are doing, going to all 3 places. Such a die hard fan base Halloween has. Bring back the thorn!!! It will make money!
The pretty much sums it up, except for that bit about Thorn.
I have the unrated directors cut and I am going to get the theatrical version as well, but that's it. I've been a huge fan of this series for nearly thirty years, but I'm not a sucker. Well, not much of one anyway.

bangtango
12-20-2007, 07:02 AM
The pretty much sums it up, except for that bit about Thorn.
I have the unrated directors cut and I am going to get the theatrical version as well, but that's it. I've been a huge fan of this series for nearly thirty years, but I'm not a sucker. Well, not much of one anyway.

Yeah, only those two versions are really worth the trouble. I'm not paying another $18-22 for a 3D cover or a disc with 40 minutes of footage I'll only ever watch once. I could finally acquire a few things I've been meaning to get like the 25 Years of Terror dvd, the first H4 dvd release (not Divimax) or the H1 Extended Version dvd for that same money.

halo thirty one
12-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I was just kidding about that whole thorn thing of course. I should have used a smiley. :D

The Ox
12-20-2007, 08:02 PM
hmmmm ? i bought the theatrical and the uncut and all of them have pics on them none have wide and full they look like both widescreens to me this is getting to be a mind straining experence lol.

The Ox
12-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Anyone else think it is kinda wack they did not put inlays in there sleve type things you know ? lol

tmdfilms
12-21-2007, 07:37 AM
I have the Theatrical Cut DVD(AWESOME) and the Unrated DVD (SUCKED)The color on the Tcut DVD is not as vivd as the Ucut. I would presume it is because the Tcut is on a Double Sided DVD thus making either side a DVD-5 and not able to hold as much as the Ucut DVD which is a Single Sided DVD-9.

JOeKER
12-21-2007, 08:21 AM
I bought the Unrated DVD Tuesday and then picked up the theatrical cut yesterday so I could have a full-frame version after finding out the film was shot in 1.33:1.

My DVD is the double-sided one with both aspect ratios which I'm happy about since I wanted the full-frame presentation. The picture look alright to me, I haven't watched it in its entirity yet though. I'm sure it's true about teh unrated picture being a bit better seeing it's a DVD-9.

The Dark Shape
12-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Wasn't this or something similar to it a concern of yours during filming? I recall you saying something to me about it.

Also... studioes still waste time, money, and effort with full frame versions of movies? I thought that went out a few years ago.

I remember knowing that Zombie composed the film 1.85:1 and that, for whatever reason, it was being chopped to go out 2.35:1.

I bought the Unrated DVD Tuesday and then picked up the theatrical cut yesterday so I could have a full-frame version after finding out the film was shot in 1.33:1.

It was shot that way, but you're not supposed to see all of that. The film was composed to go out widescreen. The only thing you're going to gain is negative space to the top and bottom, which could throw off the feeling of some shots. Worse, there's a stronger chance you're going to see things like boom mikes in frame.

1978 COLLECTOR
12-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Boom mikes in the frame, will this movie get any funnier?

Khan
12-21-2007, 12:14 PM
They really dropped the ball with this DVD.

rxfiend
12-22-2007, 04:17 AM
I have the Theatrical Cut DVD(AWESOME) and the Unrated DVD (SUCKED)The color on the Tcut DVD is not as vivd as the Ucut. I would presume it is because the Tcut is on a Double Sided DVD thus making either side a DVD-5 and not able to hold as much as the Ucut DVD which is a Single Sided DVD-9.

that is correct. You'd think Genuis Ent. would have made the theatrical cut a DVD-9 and just included the FS / WS on the same side (like numerous other companies) instead of a dual side. Perhaps dual side discs are cheaper to produce than dual layer?

JOeKER
12-22-2007, 03:20 PM
I know it was meant to be seen in widescreen. I just thought it would be interesting to see the full-frame version in which it was shot. Either way I would have ended up picking up the T-cut at some point so I could have both versions.

The Dark Shape
12-22-2007, 03:43 PM
that is correct. You'd think Genuis Ent. would have made the theatrical cut a DVD-9 and just included the FS / WS on the same side (like numerous other companies) instead of a dual side. Perhaps dual side discs are cheaper to produce than dual layer?

There wouldn't be a difference between two versions on a DVD-9 or each on a flipped DVD-5. You'd need two different video encodes, and to fit them on one side of the disc, you'd have to decrease quality.

rxfiend
12-23-2007, 03:50 AM
There wouldn't be a difference between two versions on a DVD-9 or each on a flipped DVD-5. You'd need two different video encodes, and to fit them on one side of the disc, you'd have to decrease quality.

If both sides are DVD-5, then both of them could fit onto a DVD-9 just fine. (Dual = 2 single layers) Reason I stated that Genuis should have used a DVD-9 is because I hate dvds that don't have a printed top. They're easier to get scratched.

ILoveHalloween3
12-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I hate flippers. Most home video makers have abandoned them for that exact reason

The Dark Shape
12-23-2007, 01:32 PM
If both sides are DVD-5, then both of them could fit onto a DVD-9 just fine. (Dual = 2 single layers) Reason I stated that Genuis should have used a DVD-9 is because I hate dvds that don't have a printed top. They're easier to get scratched.

I live in a world of combo HD DVDs -- trust me, I agree. I was just saying that the quality of the film wouldn't really improve.

On another note, the Director's Cut of Halloween only uses 5.8GB of a 9GB disc. I'm thinking we should have been given a DTS track.

ILoveHalloween3
12-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Or maybe a 30 Days in Hell doc.

Khan
12-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Zombie said he didn't have time to finish it, so they will likely add it to a future DVD release.

ILoveHalloween3
12-23-2007, 02:33 PM
That day will never come as long as Dimension Home Video has the distribution rights.

How many years has it been, and we still haven't seen a release of the H6: P-cut or H2O: SE?

The Ox
12-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Double sided ? are these versions restricted to only certain stores or what ? cause i bought both versions and no double sided discs here.

Franchise
12-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Where did you buy it and what did you buy? I'm looking at mine and from everything I've heard and seen now, there's only 2 versions of the film.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Greed isn't good.
Tell that to Gordon Gekko.

And I've got the T-Cut flipdisc, but I haven't checked it out yet. Too busy with Blade Runner. Hopefully, there are no problems with it.

The Ox
12-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Unrated at Hmv and the theatrical at sam the record man.

The Ox
12-24-2007, 07:33 PM
This is wacked out theres the theatrical widescreen version the unrated and uncut widescreen is what i have no booklets in side at all they have pictures on the discs so there not dual layered.There is versions with 3 discs there is ones with booklets in them fullscreen versions and dual layered ones some with zombies autograph on them ones with hologram covers i would really like to know just how many versions of this came out damm.

Todd
12-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Tell that to Gordon Gekko.

And I've got the T-Cut flipdisc, but I haven't checked it out yet. Too busy with Blade Runner. Hopefully, there are no problems with it.
Gordon Gekko went to jail because Charlie Sheen, being an ungrateful shit head, fucked him over. In his case, greed was good until the feds came calling.
I'm looking to get the Blade Runner final cut tomorrow. I asked for it and I better get it or I'll go to Wal-mart and buy it myself. I haven't had any problems with either the Unrated D-cut or the theatrical version, except for my wife walking in as Linda was onscreen sans clothes.

1978 COLLECTOR
12-24-2007, 07:41 PM
i would really like to know just how many versions of this came out damm.

Even though I don't own either copy yet, here it is...

-Theatrical Double Sided Disc 1-Regular
-Uncut DVD-Regular
-Uncut with 3D Cover- Best Buy Exclusive
-Uncut with Extra disc Containing footage from a Comic Con
-Uncut with Signature of Rob Zombie-Hot topic exclusive, olny 2 sent to each HOT TOPIC store

However, your mentioning of a signle sided theratrical is courious. I will check the amazon reviews on that.

The Ox
12-24-2007, 09:29 PM
the single sided theatrical one is what i have.

rxfiend
12-25-2007, 01:04 AM
The single sided theatrical dvd is a canadian release if I'm not mistaken.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Gordon Gekko went to jail because Charlie Sheen, being an ungrateful shit head, fucked him over. In his case, greed was good until the feds came calling.
Never said his philosophy worked out for the best...haha...but it was his philosophy. ;)

I'm looking to get the Blade Runner final cut tomorrow. I asked for it and I better get it or I'll go to Wal-mart and buy it myself. I haven't had any problems with either the Unrated D-cut or the theatrical version, except for my wife walking in as Linda was onscreen sans clothes.
I just watched the Final Cut again last night. It really is fuckin' beautiful.

Still need to check for any problems on my Zombie Halloween T-Cut.

Pasabi
12-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Not to go off topic. But the end of Wall Street shows Gordon at his high rise office with Charlie going up the steps to face possible jail time. In the end greed was good to Gordon and bad to Charlie.

The Ox
12-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Us canadians once again get crapped on lol

Hef
12-26-2007, 09:25 AM
hhmmmmm, interesting thread..

Got my copy of the T-cut at target and it's the dual sided full frame/wide screen disc. No problems with it what so ever.

I'd like to get my hands on one of the Zombie autograhed copies but i'm sure they're all gone by now. :yar:

bangtango
12-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I got the T-Cut for Christmas. The problem is that I don't consume an entire dvd the same day I get it, or even the same week. It may be a month or more before I watch every possible second of footage (both versions of the movie and the bonus features) and find out whether or not I've got a problem with my version.

Khan
12-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I have a few dozen movies I still haven't watched.

halo thirty one
12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't know anything about dvd-9 or dvd-5 but I can say that after watching the t-cut on dvd there is definitely something up with my copy, unless I need to tweak some settings on my tv or dvd player. The picture looks very pixilated to me. It especially noticeable when there is a lot of action going on; his escape scene or his fight with Big Joe Grizzley. I have watched a few movies on double sided dvds in the past and this problem has never been this noticeable on any of them. So hopefully this is a defect that I can return and get another one. If not, it looks like I won't be owning the T-cut. Unless I get the Canadian version, which seems to be single sided.

Severed
12-26-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't know anything about dvd-9 or dvd-5 but I can say that after watching the t-cut on dvd there is definitely something up with my copy, unless I need to tweak some settings on my tv or dvd player. The picture looks very pixilated to me. It especially noticeable when there is a lot of action going on; his escape scene or his fight with Big Joe Grizzley. I have watched a few movies on double sided dvds in the past and this problem has never been this noticeable on any of them. So hopefully this is a defect that I can return and get another one. If not, it looks like I won't be owning the T-cut. Unless I get the Canadian version, which seems to be single sided.

Strange. Might be a problem with the disc. My T-Cut does not have that problem. Is it Region 1?

The Ox
12-29-2007, 08:17 AM
I came across a version on Ebay the other day the autograph one rediculous it was going for like 110.00 thats crazy.

mtd20_2000
12-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Did anyone else buy the circuit city 3 disc Directo'r cut also?

The add said it had 45 minutes of bonus footage but the only thing on my third disc was a 20 minute comic con interview?

Curious if it was a defective disc (Since there was no main menu) or was that pretty much what everyone else got also.....

Let me know.

thanks

Franchise
12-31-2007, 05:05 PM
It's what everyone got for buying it at Circuit City.

mtd20_2000
12-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info Franchise...

MrShape666
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Did anyone else notice a line pixalation on people when they move in the T Cut? I've got a high def TV, so some pix is normal, but this was just odd. Its not present in the D cut. Its a slight line blur when every anyone moves fast. It's doesn't mean much, but it seems like a weird visiaul glitch.

EvilOnTwoLegs
01-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Did anyone else notice a line pixalation on people when they move in the T Cut? I've got a high def TV, so some pix is normal, but this was just odd. Its not present in the D cut. Its a slight line blur when every anyone moves fast. It's doesn't mean much, but it seems like a weird visiaul glitch.
Didn't notice anything on mine.

Is it like combing?

halo thirty one
01-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Yup, mine does the same thing and I don't have a HD tv. Looks like we will have to take ours back and hope we don't get another one with the same problem.

EvilOnTwoLegs
01-02-2008, 07:23 PM
This is weird. I'm gonna have to put mine in again, just because, with everything I've been hearing, I'm starting to doubt my own eyes. haha But I definitely didn't see any combing or similar distortion the first time around. And I generally have a really obsessive eye about film.

I'll check it out again later, anyway...just to satisfy myself. haha

halo thirty one
01-03-2008, 07:00 AM
This is weird. I'm gonna have to put mine in again, just because, with everything I've been hearing, I'm starting to doubt my own eyes. haha But I definitely didn't see any combing or similar distortion the first time around. And I generally have a really obsessive eye about film.

I'll check it out again later, anyway...just to satisfy myself. haha
Yours is probably fine because the problem is pretty noticeable from the get go. It's more noticeable when there is a lot of mayhem going on, like when Michael breaks free and kills the security guards. I just hope I don't have to keep bringing the dvd back to the store before I finally find one that is OK.

EvilOnTwoLegs
01-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Yours is probably fine because the problem is pretty noticeable from the get go. It's more noticeable when there is a lot of mayhem going on, like when Michael breaks free and kills the security guards. I just hope I don't have to keep bringing the dvd back to the store before I finally find one that is OK.
Yeah, see, I heard there was more combing, etc. in action scenes, so I paid close attention when I watched the Joe Grizzley scene, and I didn't see anything.

Guess I just got lucky.

Franchise
01-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm guilty of not having even watched mine. Guess I could tonight.

bangtango
01-04-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm guilty of not having even watched mine. Guess I could tonight.

Same here. I buy dvd's to watch at my leisure, not to "test" it ASAP and see if I've got a defective version :)

ILoveHalloween3
01-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah, i've got several DVD's & sets lying around i've never even opened. Just the other day I was watching "The Simpsons: Movie" DVD, and decided to do a cartoon-movie marathon also watch some other movies, one of which was "Family Guy Presents - Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story", which I had to unwrap, which has been wrapped & sealed sitting on my shelf for TWO YEARS.

phines
01-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I have the theatrical and unrated versions, because I'm going to make a special cut of the film that integrates some workprint footage and deleted scene material.

While working on this, I noticed the same problem with the theatrical cut DVD. The unrated DVD appears to be 9800kps variable bitrate, while the theatrical cut DVD is at a 6000kps constant bitrate. It has the combing, almost like it's been hard telecined.

Fortunately I only need a couple of parts from the theatrical DVD, such as Michael's escape scene. And with inverse telecine I can eliminate the combing.

Franchise
01-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Good ol Phines! When you're done, let me know. I'm interested in seeing what you've done. I still harp about your H5 recut.

halo thirty one
01-07-2008, 06:17 AM
I have the theatrical and unrated versions, because I'm going to make a special cut of the film that integrates some workprint footage and deleted scene material.

While working on this, I noticed the same problem with the theatrical cut DVD. The unrated DVD appears to be 9800kps variable bitrate, while the theatrical cut DVD is at a 6000kps constant bitrate. It has the combing, almost like it's been hard telecined.

Fortunately I only need a couple of parts from the theatrical DVD, such as Michael's escape scene. And with inverse telecine I can eliminate the combing.
So my question is should I bother taking my back for another one? Plus what does someone do if they don't have the software to inverse the telecine and reduce the combing?

phines
01-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Good ol Phines! When you're done, let me know. I'm interested in seeing what you've done. I still harp about your H5 recut.

Thanks, Franchise! Most definitely you'll be contacted.

I'm working on it very carefully. This is a challenge because of the timeline changes between the various versions.

I need some creative input from fellow fans to make sure the timeline isn't messed up. lol

I would create a new thread about it, but my post count isn't high enough. Here's what I have in mind so far...

As a joke, I've given this edit the working title of "The Pure Evil Edition." You'll see why in the scene choices I've made.

I made some rules for myself regarding this cut: For example, I cannot trim lines from non-deleted scenes unless absolutely needed for continuity. I can, however, choose a scene from the theatrical cut that already has removed lines. I made these rules in order to avoid hacking out tons of dialogue that annoy me. I can re-order scenes and recut deleted scenes if needed. I'll be using the Unrated Version timeline as a guideline.

Here's a brief scene summary so far:

1. Opening - Will have the HALLOWEEN title as in the Theatrical/Unrated versions. "Monster Mash" music from the workprint will be used.

2. Breakfast - Theatrical Version. Thus no "Chicken Abortion" dialogue.

3. Michael fights in School Bathroom - Unrated Version. I like the added lines.

4. Principal's Office - Unrated Version. Didn't like the freeze-frame Halloween title the workprint had.

5. Bully Beatdown - Unrated Version.

6. Young Michael back home - Unrated Version. Didn't like the extra lines from Judith in the workprint, so they are not reintegrated.

7. Judith deleted scene - Not reintegrated. The sex/sandwich stuff is too similar to the sex/beer scene later, and it breaks the mood of the buildup.

8. Mom comes home after the murders - Unrated Version. Deleted scenes at the strip club not reintegrated, for obvious reasons. The workprint line of Michael saying "It's over, Mommy" is also not reintegrated.

9. Young Michael at Smith's Grove - Unrated Version. The added diary stuff is great. Most of the extra dialogue from workprint reintegrated. Deleted scenes of Loomis and Mom exiting Smith's Grove reintegrated, except for the portion where the reporter harrasses Mom, as this part felt cheesy and artificial. Deleted scene of Michael talking about the devil will probably be reintegrated.

10. "I need to get out of here." - Unrated Version. Felt it was edited better than the workprint version. Plus I didn't want to use "I have nothing else to say." I'm considering switching this scene around so it comes AFTER the "Please put my mask back on" scene.

11. Nurse's death - Theatrical Version (thus eliminating "Couldn't be related to you."). Reintegrated workprint shots of Michael creeping up behind her with the fork.

12. Mom's suicide - Unrated Version

13. Kluggs and Ismael get Michael - Starts with Unrated Version (papoose line is funny). Then goes to Theatrical Version when they enter Michael's cell (since the rape scene is gone, Kluggs's annoying threats aren't needed).

14. Loomis says goodbye to Michael - Unrated Version. The added lines are very good.

15. Loomis at Lecture - Unrated Version. Workprint lines of "pure evil" put back in.

16. Board meeting - This deleted scene has been recut drastically. Kluggs and Ismael shots cut down so there's no repeated camera shots of them from the earlier scene. DA is not there (because he plays a police officer in the reshot transfer scene). So the gorilla joke is gone. Line of Loomis still being Michael's doctor removed. Basically I've recut it so it looks like the transfer was approved, rather than denied.

17. Loomis signs books - Deleted scene reintegrated. After this scene, I've also reintegrated the deleted scene of Loomis walking out of the building talking about the lecture. Scene ends before his cellphone rings.

18. Michael Breaks out of his chains - Theatrical Version. No rape scene.

19. Ismael's Death - Unrated Version. No phone ring transition at the end.

20. Michael lets out prisoners - Deleted scene reintegrated. Removed close shot of dead Kluggs on floor. Left him in in the far away shots because he could easily be one of the dead police officers.

21. Loomis Gets Woke Up - Unrated Version.

21. Joe Grizzly, bitch. - Unrated Version.

22. Strode Breakfast - Theatrical Version. Thus, no "bagel" scene.

23. Laurie drops off mail - Theatrical Version. Michael doesn't sniff the envelope.

24. Library - Unrated Version. Shots of Michael look better here than in the workprint.

25. Loomis reviews security footage at Smith's Grove - Unrated Version. The "I told everybody" line was poor in the workprint, so it's not reintegrated.

26. Michael steals tombstone - Deleted scene restored. May have to brighten Loomis's driving scenes.

27. Loomis buys gun - Since the tombstone scene is restored, it may make more sense to put the gun scene here. If so, I may again have to brighten the scene a little to make it look more like daytime. This will also give Michael more breathing room before the next scene.

28. Laurie exits school with friends - Unrated Version. Cup-dumping scene from workprint not reintegrated.

29. Laurie helps Mom with skeleton - Unrated Version. Some shots from workprint may be reintegrated. Bagel line removed.

30. Loomis sees empty grave - Unrated Version. I hate this scene, but I hate the alternate version even more.

31. Paul's death - Unrated Version.

32. Loomis tries to get adoption information - If I move the gun buying scene, this may be a good spot for the adoption deleted scene.

33. Mr. Strode dies - Scene starts with the Unrated Version until Mr. Strode stands up. Then the Workprint Version of his death is reintegrated. I love this version of his death.

34. Ms. Strode dies - Unrated Version.

35. Strode Aftermath - Deleted scene reintegrated. A little continuity trouble, but it can be explained that Michael messed with them a little more.

36. "No, you didn't!" - Unrated Version. Workprint line "Oh yes, you di-id!" NOT reintegrated.

37. Brackett and Loomis talk at Burger joint - Unrated Version.

38. Annie talks to Laurie about Ben Tramer - Unrated Version.

39. Loomis talks to Brackett at police station - Unrated Version.

40. Annie's attacked - Unrated Version.

41. Brackett and Loomis in car, etc - Unrated Version.

42. Laurie finds Annie - Unrated Version.

43. Laurie runs from Michael to the house - Workprint footage reintegrated. I like how Michael is shown more.

44. Cop death / Picture scene / Pool scene, etc - Unrated Version.

45. "I failed you." - Unrated Version. This was edited better than the Theatrical Version.

46. Michael chases through house / ceiling - Unrated Version. Nice to see that Loomis is probably going to survive.

47. Ending - Unrated Version. No getting shot to death by the police.

I understand Michael groans more in the Unrated Version, so I will probably use the alternate audio on that, too, so he doesn't groan as much.

That about sums it up. Any suggestions would be welcome! Especially in regards to timeline troubles.

phines
01-07-2008, 08:56 AM
So my question is should I bother taking my back for another one? Plus what does someone do if they don't have the software to inverse the telecine and reduce the combing?

I wouldn't return it just yet. I suspect they may all have this problem. Maybe if enough people will email them, they'll fix it and do a free exchange, like Warner Bros did with their Superman DVD set problems.

halo thirty one
01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't return it just yet. I suspect they may all have this problem. Maybe if enough people will email them, they'll fix it and do a free exchange, like Warner Bros did with their Superman DVD set problems.
I ended up swapping mine out at the local Best Buy and the new disc does the same thing. I guess the next step is to contact Genius Products. I'm just wondering if getting a copy of a Canadian T-cut would be worth the effort since the dvd is not a flip disc.

MrShape666
01-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I exchanged mine again, and found the same problem. That weird combing when ever anyone moves, its less in this one, but it is definitely a problem with the release. It's particularly irritating during Annie's attack and during the Smith's Grove scenes where it really visible. I was totally sober when I watched it this time, so I know I don't have the DTs.:roflmao: Its on the disc.

Don't expect Dimension to do anything though, Dimension tends to think of horror fans as idiotic parasites that will swallow whatever they shove down our throats, which is why their horror DVD releases have been so notoriously crappy and bare bones in the past.

JOeKER
01-07-2008, 05:33 PM

I'm working on it very carefully. This is a challenge because of the timeline changes between the various versions.

I need some creative input from fellow fans to make sure the timeline isn't messed up. lol

I would create a new thread about it, but my post count isn't high enough. Here's what I have in mind so far...

As a joke, I've given this edit the working title of "The Pure Evil Edition." You'll see why in the scene choices I've made.

I made some rules for myself regarding this cut: For example, I cannot trim lines from non-deleted scenes unless absolutely needed for continuity. I can, however, choose a scene from the theatrical cut that already has removed lines. I made these rules in order to avoid hacking out tons of dialogue that annoy me. I can re-order scenes and recut deleted scenes if needed. I'll be using the Unrated Version timeline as a guideline.

1. Opening - Will have the HALLOWEEN title as in the Theatrical/Unrated versions. "Monster Mash" music from the workprint will be used.

4. Principal's Office - Unrated Version. Didn't like the freeze-frame Halloween title the workprint had.

6. Young Michael back home - Unrated Version. Didn't like the extra lines from Judith in the workprint, so they are not reintegrated.

7. Judith deleted scene - Not reintegrated. The sex/sandwich stuff is too similar to the sex/beer scene later, and it breaks the mood of the buildup.

8. Mom comes home after the murders - Unrated Version. Deleted scenes at the strip club not reintegrated, for obvious reasons. The workprint line of Michael saying "It's over, Mommy" is also not reintegrated.

9. Young Michael at Smith's Grove - Unrated Version. The added diary stuff is great. Most of the extra dialogue from workprint reintegrated. Deleted scenes of Loomis and Mom exiting Smith's Grove reintegrated, except for the portion where the reporter harrasses Mom, as this part felt cheesy and artificial. Deleted scene of Michael talking about the devil will probably be reintegrated.

10. "I need to get out of here." - Unrated Version. Felt it was edited better than the workprint version. Plus I didn't want to use "I have nothing else to say." I'm considering switching this scene around so it comes AFTER the "Please put my mask back on" scene.

11. Nurse's death - Theatrical Version (thus eliminating "Couldn't be related to you."). Reintegrated workprint shots of Michael creeping up behind her with the fork.

13. Kluggs and Ismael get Michael - Starts with Unrated Version (papoose line is funny). Then goes to Theatrical Version when they enter Michael's cell (since the rape scene is gone, Kluggs's annoying threats aren't needed).

14. Loomis says goodbye to Michael - Unrated Version. The added lines are very good.

15. Loomis at Lecture - Unrated Version. Workprint lines of "pure evil" put back in.

16. Board meeting - This deleted scene has been recut drastically. Kluggs and Ismael shots cut down so there's no repeated camera shots of them from the earlier scene. DA is not there (because he plays a police officer in the reshot transfer scene). So the gorilla joke is gone. Line of Loomis still being Michael's doctor removed. Basically I've recut it so it looks like the transfer was approved, rather than denied.

17. Loomis signs books - Deleted scene reintegrated. After this scene, I've also reintegrated the deleted scene of Loomis walking out of the building talking about the lecture. Scene ends before his cellphone rings.

20. Michael lets out prisoners - Deleted scene reintegrated. Removed close shot of dead Kluggs on floor. Left him in in the far away shots because he could easily be one of the dead police officers.

23. Laurie drops off mail - Theatrical Version. Michael doesn't sniff the envelope.

24. Library - Unrated Version. Shots of Michael look better here than in the workprint.

25. Loomis reviews security footage at Smith's Grove - Unrated Version. The "I told everybody" line was poor in the workprint, so it's not reintegrated.

26. Michael steals tombstone - Deleted scene restored. May have to brighten Loomis's driving scenes.

27. Loomis buys gun - Since the tombstone scene is restored, it may make more sense to put the gun scene here. If so, I may again have to brighten the scene a little to make it look more like daytime. This will also give Michael more breathing room before the next scene.

28. Laurie exits school with friends - Unrated Version. Cup-dumping scene from workprint not reintegrated.

29. Laurie helps Mom with skeleton - Unrated Version. Some shots from workprint may be reintegrated. Bagel line removed.

30. Loomis sees empty grave - Unrated Version. I hate this scene, but I hate the alternate version even more.

32. Loomis tries to get adoption information - If I move the gun buying scene, this may be a good spot for the adoption deleted scene.

33. Mr. Strode dies - Scene starts with the Unrated Version until Mr. Strode stands up. Then the Workprint Version of his death is reintegrated. I love this version of his death.

35. Strode Aftermath - Deleted scene reintegrated. A little continuity trouble, but it can be explained that Michael messed with them a little more.

36. "No, you didn't!" - Unrated Version. Workprint line "Oh yes, you di-id!" NOT reintegrated.

43. Laurie runs from Michael to the house - Workprint footage reintegrated. I like how Michael is shown more.

45. "I failed you." - Unrated Version. This was edited better than the Theatrical Version.

46. Michael chases through house / ceiling - Unrated Version. Nice to see that Loomis is probably going to survive.

I understand Michael groans more in the Unrated Version, so I will probably use the alternate audio on that, too, so he doesn't groan as much.

That about sums it up. Any suggestions would be welcome! Especially in regards to timeline troubles.

I'm pretty interesting in seeing what you do with this. Sounds like a great cut of the film. Let me know when it's finished. Thanks.

Franchise
01-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Sounds like a good edit, phines. I'll be sure to get mine again.

Andre3000
01-08-2008, 05:05 AM

I am doing the exact same thing, I've edited it up to the scene where Michael kills the Strodes. And I'm also doing the workprint, using the good quality scenes from the DVD, and then editing it so its the same as the workprint.. Do you go to fanedit.org?

phines
01-08-2008, 05:11 AM
I am doing the exact same thing, I've edited it up to the scene where Michael kills the Strodes. And I'm also doing the workprint, using the good quality scenes from the DVD, and then editing it so its the same as the workprint.. Do you go to fanedit.org?

I figured other people would be making their own edits, too. I was pretty sure most of them would be "super long" versions. I wanted mine to be a little different by making many of the same changes the theatrical version made to eliminate certain pieces of dialogue that were either annoying or made Michael seem too in control of his faculties.

I sometimes go to fanedit.org, they hosted my Halloween 5 "thornless" edit. Not sure if this version will go there.

I'd love to see your version! That's great that you're making a high quality version of the workprint. What direction are you taking with your other edit?

Andre3000
01-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, like you, I put Monster Mash in it.. I like it better than God of Thunder. I added the deleted scene where Principal Chambers calls Deborah at work, but I edited out all the talk about the donut. I took Love Hurts out.. I know a lot of people don't like it, so I removed it. I added the scene where the reporter tries to talk to Deborah, I also added the deleted scene where Michael lets all the patients out and kills the guards, but I edited it so there is almost no dialogue, and I put the theme over it. I kind of wanted it to resemble where Michael runs out of school. I also did some other edits, but thats about all so far..

When your done with yours, I definetly want to see it.

Psycho
01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Both versions are widescreen i asked questions and everything and bought both versions the unrated and the theatrical version and both are widescreen they have different covers though i wanted full screen myself.

I despise full-Screen. It destroys the integrity of the film. You don't see what the director wanted you to see, and it changes the motion of the camera, because of the pan and scan format. What you see in the theatre is not what you see on a full-screen DVD.

If you like it, though, that's fine.

bangtango
01-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Well I finally had a chance to check out my Rated Version DVD, at least the bonus features and the full film (widescreen). Haven't bothered with the fullscreen version yet. I didn't notice anything wrong in widescreen. So where were all of these problems cropping up? Was it in the widescreen version, the fullscreen version or both?

Only thing I noticed is that I like this movie a little better than the first time I saw it in the cinema. I hadn't seen it since then until the other night. Maybe it will grow on me a little after I see it a few more times.

Black Sunshine
11-04-2009, 06:16 AM

was this awesome? sounds like it would have been! anyway, i have the t-cut flipdisc wide/full version and i have no combing at all... i have yet to watch the full-frame side of it, but i dont think there will be combing on one side and not the other...

i may want to be a whore and see if that best buy exclusive is still out there, its the only North American Release that had the actual poster image as its cover shot.

halo thirty one
11-04-2009, 07:04 AM
anyway, i have the t-cut flipdisc wide/full version and i have no combing at all... i have yet to watch the full-frame side of it, but i dont think there will be combing on one side and not the other....
That's actually the problem with my flip disc. When I watch the T cut I watch the full screen version because I don't notice any combing, but it's very noticeable on the widescreen side.