PDA

View Full Version : Night of the Living Dead - 2007

Mr. Bruce
11-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Has anyone else heard about this new movie is it any good?

Khan
11-28-2007, 03:02 PM
This isn't listed on IMDB.

Where did you hear of it?

Ravenheart
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Its okay but they completely changed all the characters.Ben is a white drug dealer and the rest are a family of dope farmers.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0489244/

Khan
11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
I was thinking that he meant the 3D one.

I have no interest in seeing it, as it changes too much of the story to be interesting.

WhiteZombie
11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
I was thinking that he meant the 3D one.

I have no interest in seeing it, as it changes too much of the story to be interesting.

So why cant you just see it as a movie?

Khan
11-28-2007, 04:15 PM
It just doesn't interest me.

I will stick with the original and Savini's remake.

mmyers78
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
I never heard about this until I saw this thread. I agree with themyerswalk, this movie doesn't sound too appealing to me, especially if they changed it a lot.

Severed
12-09-2007, 11:14 AM
It just doesn't interest me.

Trust me you are not missing anything. If the bad acting and story doesn't give you a headache, the 3D effects will.

I will stick with the original and Savini's remake.

Sounds like smart thinking.

F@@@inlovemyers
12-09-2007, 11:22 AM
so what is this? like a re imagining of NOTLD or what?

Severed
12-09-2007, 11:30 AM
so what is this? like a re imagining of NOTLD or what?

Yeah, for the most part. The overall plot is the same. There are actually a couple of good ideas in the script, they are just surrounded by allot of bad ones. Let's just put it this way: If you didn't like the Anniversary Edition, you wouldn't like this one. It's just as bad as the new scenes in that verison.

F@@@inlovemyers
12-09-2007, 11:34 AM
can't they just leave these good films alone dammit, isn't one remake good enough?

Severed
12-09-2007, 11:43 AM
can't they just leave these good films alone dammit, isn't one remake good enough?

Being that NOTLD is public domain, I am not surprised sometime tried remaking it. The fact they did a horrible job, also does not surprise me.

Khan
12-09-2007, 01:06 PM
There is also the fan made "survivor's cut" that is a shorter version of the original.

Severed
12-09-2007, 01:28 PM
There is also the fan made "survivor's cut" that is a shorter version of the original.

I haven't heard of this. How much did they cut?

Khan
12-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Quite a bit apparently, which doesn't sit well with me.

For that reason, I won't watch that, the 30th Anniversary abomination or the 3D version.

My Millenium Edition DVD and the Night remake are just fine.

Severed
12-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Quite a bit apparently, which doesn't sit well with me.

For that reason, I won't watch that, the 30th Anniversary abomination or the 3D version.

My Millenium Edition DVD and the Night remake are just fine.

I would probably watch the Survivorís cut just to see what was edited out. Although I have never though NOTLD needs to have anything cut from it. Does the millennium edition come with commentary? That's really the only reason I bought the 30th anniversary verison.

Khan
12-09-2007, 02:10 PM
The Millenium edition is the only one approved by Romero, and it features commentary from him and the much of the cast.

Severed
12-09-2007, 02:11 PM
The Millenium edition is the only one approved by Romero, and it features commentary from him and the much of the cast.

Damn, that sounds like the verison I would want to have. I'll have to look for it on Amazon.

Khan
12-09-2007, 02:21 PM
It is loaded with bonus features and...Night Of The Living Bread!

Severed
12-09-2007, 02:28 PM
It is loaded with bonus features and...Night Of The Living Bread!

This is it right?

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-Millennium-Chilly-Cardille/dp/B00005Y6Y2

The reason I ask is because there is no mention of special features on there.

Khan
12-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, they just didn't list the bonus features for some reason.

There is an image of the back cover with the list of features.

Severed
12-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah, they just didn't list the bonus features for some reason.

There is an image of the back cover with the list of features.

Okay, thanks. I will have to order it. I have three different verisons of NOTLD already, so what's one more?

Khan
12-09-2007, 03:22 PM
No problem.

I have two cheap copies and the Millennium edition.

I also have the Dawn Ultimate Edition, Dawn remake unrated, Day Divimax, and Land unrated.

Severed
12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I also have the Dawn Ultimate Edition, Dawn remake unrated, Day Divimax, and Land unrated.

I have the same ones, except I believe my Dawn is just the theartical cut. It does have allot of special features on it, and I don't think the ultimate edition has much more on it. Dawn is my favorite of the "dead" films, so maybe I should just get it for collector reasons.

Khan
12-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I got my UE signed by Romero at Fan Expo this year.

Severed
12-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I got my UE signed by Romero at Fan Expo last year.

Damn, you get all the cool stuff.

Khan
12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
And I got Dario Argento to sign my Suspiria DVD. :)

Severed
12-09-2007, 03:43 PM
And I got Dario Argento to sign my Suspiria DVD. :)

Nice. I tried watching Suspiria and I just couldn't get into it. I know, I know: it makes you think I am :crazy:

Khan
12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Look past the story and focus on the visuals.

Severed
12-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Look past the story and focus on the visuals.

I probably should have tried that. I gave it about 20 min, and just couldn't finish it. I know it's a big fan favorite. I tried watching Inferno and couldn't get into it either. :(

Khan
12-09-2007, 03:59 PM
It is the same as many Lucio Fulci movies.

He regarded the story as secondary to the imagery at times.

On topic, you will like the Milennium edition.

bangtango
12-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the best version of the 1990 Night remake to get? This is assuming it has been released on dvd at least a couple of times (just a guess).

Ravenheart
12-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the best version of the 1990 Night remake to get? This is assuming it has been released on dvd at least a couple of times (just a guess).

I think the 90's remake has only had one release.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-Dead-Tony-Todd/dp/B00000K3TO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1197321896&sr=8-1

Khan
12-10-2007, 01:58 PM

As of now, there is only one region 1 DVD that can be purchased.

The poster above me provided a link.

F@@@inlovemyers
12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
can't you download it legally and for free?

Khan
12-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Not the remake.

You are thinking of the original.

http://emol.org/movies/nightofthelivingdead/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhgVHTVi_h4

It is public domain. The reason it's public domain is because the Walter Reade Organization failed to put a copyright notice on the original prints. Back in 1968, the United States Copyright Law required a proper notice for a work to maintain a copyright, but Walter Reade failed to do so, so then the movie fell into public domain and George Romero states that Walter Reade ripped him off. And now over 20 DVD companies release Night of the Living Dead and make money off of Romero's film, while Romero makes none.

bangtango
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Not the remake.

It is public domain. The reason it's public domain is because the Walter Reade Organization failed to put a copyright notice on the original prints. Back in 1968, the United States Copyright Law required a proper notice for a work to maintain a copyright, but Walter Reade failed to do so, so then the movie fell into public domain and George Romero states that Walter Reade ripped him off. And now over 20 DVD companies release Night of the Living Dead and make money off of Romero's film, while Romero makes none.

After all these years, it is still in public domain?

A couple questions, just out of the blue.

1. Why can't Romero or someone else just copyright it and finally get it out of public domain? Just too late to do it?

2. So Romero doesn't make money off of a definitive version that's out there and if not, why doesn't he just release a version under his own name/company and make money off of that?

Khan
12-11-2007, 05:44 PM
1. I am not totally sure, but it may be too late.

2. Elite released the definitive version (the Millennium edition) with involvement from Romero, so he may get some royalties.

F@@@inlovemyers
12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Not the remake.

oh, yeah, I thought I downloaded it before.

rocky6666
12-15-2007, 06:24 AM
its a total hash up of a good movie the best version i've seen was the 1990 remake film

Halloween444
01-30-2008, 09:03 PM
I enjoy the film for what it was 1hour 30 minute of pure intense 3-d action with my bro back 2 year ago in theaters now I own it and everytime I watch it It's a total blast.

Silverpsycho
09-09-2008, 11:58 PM
I finally watched my copy of Night of the Living Dead 3D and I can't say I came out really liking it or completely hating it either.

Some Pros would be:
-The fact this is in 3D. Most of it was nothing grand but there were some scenes that were pretty fun to watch. I'm a nut for 3D. :D

-A new twist on how the zombies came to be. Not necessarily a good story, but something different so it's not rehashing the same exact film over yet again.

Cons:
-I didn't care for any characters in this. When I see a zombie film, I want to find at least one character that I can root for to survive.

-Seeing clips of the original Night in there. It was distracting and made the whole movie awkward and cheesy that they were watching something that was actually happening around them. It was just unnecessary unless they used it more as a humorous tool in watching and learning how to survive as they warded off the zombies.

-Using the same names when the characters were completely different. I can go with changing it up but since they play clips of the original Night and the current characters in this coincidentally share the same names...too weird.

I can't say a con would be bad acting because quite frankly, the original and even Savini's rendition did not have the most brilliant performances. They were what they were and considering this rendition went straight to DVD, I was not about to judge that much in any way.

In the end, I came out thinking this film is just fair overall. If you feel like passing it up, you're not missing out on much. It is a clever concept to put a modern spin on such a classic and using 3D to mix things up. I found it fun but it's nothing I will watch very often. I'd only recommend this to fellow 3D fans who aren't expecting much.

EDIT:
Ha ha, oops...I didn't even realize this was in fact in theatres. It didn't get a very wide release and was never advertised around me so I just assumed. It was only shown in 145 theatres so I still would consider that to be almost straight to DVD. :D

Twisted Sister
09-10-2008, 08:53 AM
I haven't seen it.....so you're iffy on recommending? :)
Let me know when you get around to the Day of the Dead remake :)

Silverpsycho
09-10-2008, 10:47 AM
I haven't seen it.....so you're iffy on recommending? :)
Let me know when you get around to the Day of the Dead remake :)
Yeah, this rendition of Night in 3D is only fun if you're a big 3D nut and while I love stuff like that, it didn't exactly make the movie. It was fun to see zombie hands reaching out for me and there was a particular gunshot scene where zombie pieces flew out at you. While it had great moments like that, unfortunately they were far and few.

Ha ha, I think I may pass on the Day remake. I've heard about just how horrible it is and it isn't even in 3D. Who knows, I may end up getting to it someday. I'm just seriously turned off by the lenticular cover of a zombie barfing. :p

Severed
09-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, this rendition of Night in 3D is only fun if you're a big 3D nut and while I love stuff like that, it didn't exactly make the movie. It was fun to see zombie hands reaching out for me and there was a particular gunshot scene where zombie pieces flew out at you. While it had great moments like that, unfortunately they were far and few.

Ha ha, I think I may pass on the Day remake. I've heard about just how horrible it is and it isn't even in 3D. Who knows, I may end up getting to it someday. I'm just seriously turned off by the lenticular cover of a zombie barfing. :p

Don't even bother wasting your time on the Day remake. Take my word for it. You will be glad you did.

I didn't care for NOTLD 3D myself. I didn't really care for the story and the 3D began to give me a headache afterawhile.

Silverpsycho
09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Don't even bother wasting your time on the Day remake. Take my word for it. You will be glad you did.

I didn't care for NOTLD 3D myself. I didn't really care for the story and the 3D began to give me a headache afterawhile.
Yeah but that can be said for any 3D film actually. My eyes began to water and itch like they do for all 3D films, especially the blue and red ghetto 3D type. :D

Ha ha, yeah, that's pretty much what I've heard..."Avoid Day at all costs!" but sometimes my evil curiosity forces me to go out and view the worst pieces of crap to exist on film.

Given, NotLD 3D is pretty crappy but going into it and really expecting absolute garbage, I came out slightly higher than even. So while it was a bad film, the movie somewhat went above my expectations. If it hadn't been in 3D, I would have yanked my eyes out. :bigeyes:

HTrooper
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Yes, I agree that NOTLD 3D is no good...I can't even say one nice thing about the event, just horrible, I lost focus in the first five minutes, and wondered if my sock drawer needed sorting...that hasn't happened since Dayremake and Day:Contagium...just hurtful stuff to the genre there...