PDA

View Full Version : '78 vs '07 Deaths

MichaelMyers04
10-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey, I was just wondering which, if any, of the new deaths in RZ HalloweeN you liked better than the ones in the original. I will compare Judith's, Bob's, Lynda's and Annies as well (even though she never really dies in this one).

Judith- To be honest, I prefered the new Judith kill, simply because it's much more intense than the one in the original. In the original, it was a few stabs, and she's dead. Here, there's an actual stalking scene (accompanied by the infamous stalking music). It just wokred better for me in this movie. However, the only thing I liked more about the original was that he was looking through the mask, and we should have seen that in the remake as well.

Bob- This one was a bit hard, because the scenes are so similar, but I had to give the edge over to the original in this case. The original Bob death scene was one of my best in the series, and this new one did not match up, mainly due to the suspence. The original was darker, and I liked that more about that one.

Lynda- This was an easy one, as the original was way better in my opinion. This was an obvious attempt for Zombie to get full nudity on screen, and it just came across as unnecessary in the remake. Even when he's killing her, it doesn't seem scary like it was in the original. I do like how this time Rob changed it and killed her with his bare hands. That was the only thing I liked better.

Annie- This is the absolute hardest one to choose for me. In the original, I loved Annie's death in the car, and it remains of the scariest kills in the series. In the remake however, we have Danielle Harris being chased by Michael, in one of the best chase scenes in the last few movies. Once again, I had to give the edge to Carpenter, as I felt more scared in the original kill. I felt more bad for Annie in the remake, but the death scene in the original is so classic, that even the awesome chase in the remake couldn't beat it.

Khan
10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Everything about the original is better.

Mr. Bruce
10-20-2007, 02:36 PM

^ Exactly what he said.

The Dark Knight
10-20-2007, 03:20 PM
there are two different deaths for Bob in 07.

Silverpsycho
10-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I agree with Jeremy, that anything about the original just cannot be beat. The remake was entertaining in terms of kills but the whole aspect of "less is more" makes the original a champion. Carpenter made a scary film without having to show us the gory details.

HannibalBEATNGU
10-20-2007, 04:30 PM
I really didn't like how ridiculously strong Michael was in the remake, didn't coincide at all with what Rob was supposedly trying to do.

I thought the Judith kill worked in the remake though, I hated the absurd overacting by the actress from the original.

mmyers78
10-20-2007, 05:09 PM
All though this movie was good (imo), but none of the death scenes in RZH will compare to JC's Halloween.

Myers Insurance
10-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Except that Annie lives in the remake.

Khan
10-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Good point.

She doesn't officially die in the remake.

Frazetta
10-20-2007, 05:36 PM
I like both films kills for the most part. Zombie's version definitely has the more visceral killings which I like a lot. The stealth like nature of Carpenter's Michael Myers is also a plus.

Demonswrath
10-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Seriously. I like the ones from the original much better than the remake's. It's to the point where it's not really comparable with me. Hands down, the original has WAY better death scenes than the remake. I was so hoping that this remake would have been so much better than it was.

MichaelMyers04
10-20-2007, 10:46 PM
there are two different deaths for Bob in 07.

I'm only including the one in the theatrical cut, as that's the only thing that is canon.

TheShape'78
10-20-2007, 11:09 PM
all the deaths in the original are better.

-mitch-

HannibalBEATNGU
10-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I like both films kills for the most part. Zombie's version definitely has the more visceral killings which I like a lot. The stealth like nature of Carpenter's Michael Myers is also a plus.

I love visceral horror as much as anyone, I just wish Rob's "realistic" Michael weren't doing things like ripping peoples throats out with his bare hands.

Michael was as strong here as he was in H6, but atleast that film wasn't pretending to be realistic.

CritterKoas
11-04-2007, 01:08 AM
I liked Judiths Death in the Remake, Bobs Death in the Original, Lyndas Death in the Original, I liked that we saw michaels mother and "father" die in the remake, I liked Annies Original death from JC Halloween, But I liked her in this one too, even though she doesnt die.

punkrocklove
11-04-2007, 06:12 AM
John Carpenters.

Zombie's werent scary at alllll..

tabby
11-04-2007, 06:39 AM
John Carpenters.

Zombie's werent scary at alllll..

no, just plain gross. where in the original I got goosebumps, the remake made my stomach curdle.

The Frightmaster
11-04-2007, 10:01 AM
All the deaths in the original where better than in RZH. As a matter of fact everythinhg in the original is better than RZH. I mean I could actually see the deaths in original. That damn shakey cam in RZH pretty much ruined the death scenes.

WhiteZombie
11-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I love visceral horror as much as anyone, I just wish Rob's "realistic" Michael weren't doing things like ripping peoples throats out with his bare hands.

Michael was as strong here as he was in H6, but atleast that film wasn't pretending to be realistic.

When was this?

The Frightmaster
11-04-2007, 11:25 AM
When was this?

Didn't he rip out that one female security guards throat at Smiths Grove???

WhiteZombie
11-04-2007, 11:34 AM

I dont remeber that, he just smashed them around a bit.

Padams
11-04-2007, 10:38 PM

Yeah, shortly before dragging her lifeless body down the hallway.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-05-2007, 12:02 AM
all of the deaths in the original are better, even though you can't really compare them because Rob Zombie completely changed them. ORIGINAL Deaths are BETTER

ThornMember83
11-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Well the deaths are very different because they are two types of movies. The 78' deaths were bloodless because that is how the 78 halloween was. The 07' deaths were more graphic because in this day in age that is what sells. For what it is worth I enjoy the 07' deaths I am always a sucker for good SFX.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-06-2007, 01:19 AM
still as John Carpenter has said, "everyone knows what someone is going to do with a knife, you don't have to see it to make it scary." it sucks that gore sells these days, but I don't think that you have to see the blood and guts to make it scary, all you need is suspence which the remake had none of. Seeing tons of blood and guts, that just groses me out. 1978 deaths are better, 0% gore and 100% scary.:bow:

Inhumane
11-06-2007, 06:19 PM

WELL SAID!! :nodsmile:

BrianG
11-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I liked Judith Meyers murder in RZH better then in JC's. I liked the fact that Annie lived and her whole chase scene/attack, but I prefer the death of Bob more so in JC's origional. For RZ's, I liked his death in the work print better than the theatrical, but still prefer the origional. Lynda's death was more intense in RZH. The full frontal nudity excluded, I think it was shot better and truely acted better. The one element it lacked was Laurie listening to the strangulation on the other end of the phone.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-11-2007, 02:18 PM
I liked Judith Meyers murder in RZH better then in JC's.

I disagree, I liked how you could see it through Michaels eyes, i thought that that was pretty scary. As themyerswalk put it "everything about the original is better" :nodsmile:

njdevs03champs
11-13-2007, 01:08 AM
We dont know for sure if Annie is really dead in this version.

THEGUY26
11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Judith: I also liked the death scene in the remake better. She actually gets chased by a 10 year old. Her acting in the original was horrible.

Bob: I like the death in the original better. You can see the whole thing so clearly, and it's very unexpected.

Lynda: I liked the death in the original better. I think strangling someone with a phone cord is a much more interesting idea.

Annie: Of course I liked the death in the original better, because she didn't die in the remake!

scoob
11-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Nothing about the remake is close to the original because the original is so classic it just is impossible to beat. It is THE original so you cant really top that...if that makes sense?

But for the record, I wasnt really looking for originality in kills cos thats what Jason does so for what Michael did in this one was good and great but its hard to actually recall a memorable death from the remake - which is good and bad I guess.
Good as there were no exploding heads to remember and bad because I cant remember too much about it.

Nothing really comes to mind as they all seemed a little " done before" maybe apart from the opening kill with the bully. Its good doing the done before routine and I like that - I dont want Myers to be bear hugging people to death or crushing their heads so their eyes pop out... ahem...- but maybe because the characters that were killed were not so memorable is why I dont really rememeber them or class them as great kills.
To be honest, Paul was killed and we never even saw his face but I remember that one so maybe faceless victims is the way to go

hall0weendream
11-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Judith - I would have to say I definitely prefer Zombie's version more. There is just that little moment when we get a close up of Michael in the hall starting to go for the attack on Judith and the camera shakes and aces the score moment. That little bit won me over. I love that she didn't just die like in the original from being stabbed a few times. In reality (maybe I'm wrong) but you're not going to just die instantly. One vote for Halloween '07.

Bob - The original wins hands down here. The remakes problem was that we knew it was coming and they didn't do the close up of the tilting of Michael's head. I like the remake verison too, but the original holds the best death for Bob.

Lynda - I had to think hard on this and that is why I didn't reply sooner in this thread. Rewatching both, it's hard to say which is my favorite. I think the remake though is much more intense and draining to watching. Again, the shakiness of the camera and the score ups it. The acting is better too (P.J. is still great). I think I prefer the remake based on how it was shot and the grittiness of it.

Annie - Yeah she doesn't die in the remake (atleast at the hands of Michael, maybe later from her wounds). This one is a tie. I love the car death in the original and I love the chase and the dragging of Annie across the floor in the remake. Tie here.

THEGUY26
11-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm getting sort of sick of people saying Carpenter's Halloween is better, just because it came out first. If both of these were new, and they both came out in theaters today, and you saw then both, which would you like more?

Kinick
11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm getting sort of sick of people saying Carpenter's Halloween is better, just because it came out first.

I seriously doubt this is the reason!

The Dark Shape
11-15-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm getting sort of sick of people saying Carpenter's Halloween is better, just because it came out first. If both of these were new, and they both came out in theaters today, and you saw then both, which would you like more?

Carpenter's. It's classy, suspenseful, has a three act structure, and doesn't sound like it was written by a 10-year-old who just learned to say fuck.

Khan
11-15-2007, 02:02 PM

The original.

Feel free to blaspheme the original though, as you have that civil right. ;)

Kinick
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Carpenter's. It's classy, suspenseful, has a three act structure, and doesn't sound like it was written by a 10-year-old who just learned to say fuck.

As if Rob's doesn't have a classy, three-act structure. :winkgrin:

Paul was killed and we never even saw his face but I remember that one so maybe faceless victims is the way to go

I oh-so-fondly recall Rob's exact comments on the 25 Years Of Terror DVD... *cough*

F@@@inlovemyers
11-15-2007, 03:11 PM

I would like John Carpenter Halloween.

RZH was a tasteless, immature, and just plane crappy portrayal of Michael Myers. Michael Myers was originally created as a unstoppable force of evil, you can't explain it and you can't ever kill it. Rob Zombie made him to be a mentally disturbed child, who grew up in a terrible household, and after taking enough bullying at school and abuse at home he went insane and killed his sister, his sisters boyfriend and his stepdad. Now to me thats no different than these kids who get bullied at school and one day decide to come to school with a AK-47, and thats not scary. Rob Zombie wanted to make michael seem human and Michael isn't human, he is pure unstoppable evil and thats what makes him scary. John Carpenters Halloween will always be the best Halloween film ever, his classic film will get remade again I'm sure but the first attempt at it wasn't so great, IN MY OPINION.

Before you say Rob Zombies Halloween is better come up with a good reason other than because the original came out first :nodsmile:

Nicely put

THEGUY26
11-15-2007, 05:42 PM
I think the Halloween remake was actually more realistic. The acting was better, and had more of a story to it. It was still suspensful. I just find the original boring, maybe because I've seen it so many times.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
I think the Halloween remake was actually more realistic. The acting was better, and had more of a story to it. It was still suspensful. I just find the original boring, maybe because I've seen it so many times.

The remake didn't have a bit of suspense to it, thats ONE of the many problems with the remake, and for the acting you can't tell me Mcdowell was a better Loomis than donald pleasence.:crazy:

Khan
11-15-2007, 08:09 PM

The original is a landmark film.

Can you say the same for the remake?

THEGUY26
11-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Yes, but I'm getting the feeling that people like the original better, because it is a landmark film. You're right about the remake have less suspense, I forgot a lot about it. I forgot what I was just going to say...

Pasabi
11-16-2007, 12:16 AM
TheGuy

Coming from somone who saw H2 first in the mid 90's since the video store only had instock H2 and 4 or 5 can' remember which. I liked H1 78 better. I knew that H1 had the connection of Michael and Laurie as sisters which I think really upped my liking to it. I think I still would have enjoyed and it was creepy as hell and still is.

I can't say that for RZ's Halloween. I think he tried to give us something different story wise. But the problems fail with rushing with a prequel and a remake in one film with not enough time. Bad dialog which may have been fixed had their been more pre production time going over the script as well as bringing in a person just to do dialog. Remember the first one had John doing alot of the male characters with Debra doing the main womens roles. Which I think makes it alot more enjoy able since both wrote the parts well. And both had people going over each others dialog. As well as the cast members worked their ass's off in this movie.

To me the acting wasn't as good as the original. I think the dialog played a huge part in that however. You can only do so much with what you are given. And Rob did his best he could as he truely tried to make the best film he could.

I think you also have two audiences. New fans who are use to fast pace movies probably would find the original boring. Just like I don't like new films because they are to fast.

I enjoyed the upgraded Laurie as well as the last 15 20 minutes til the ending I thought was amazing. I loved the attic scene.

But comparing the overall films, it comes down to taste. And my taste is John and Debra's Ice cream still frozen from 78 compared to the new updated flavor with to many artificial products in it.

But like all ice cream, it's up to the consumer as to what he or she likes best. And there the one's paying for it. So if they like it, who's to say they are wrong.

THEGUY26
11-16-2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks for posting that. I too saw most of the Halloween movies in the early 90's, and I do like parts of the original over parts in Zombie's remake. He couldn't have everything the original had, so he did what he could to change it, while still making a good movie. For example, I think the original death of Michael's sister in the original wasen't very good, because of the acting. I liked the one in the remake, because it was more intense. When I first watched the original death of his older sister, I though that scene was just Michael and his sister making a movie for school, or something. I did like the clarity of the original. In the remake, it very dark, and the camera is moving around everywhere, and you can't tell what's happening. In the original, Bob's death scene was my favorite from all the Halloween movies. I also like the ending of the original a lot more. Another reason I liked the remake, is because if the littler "prequel". It sort of showed Michael as a "normal" kid, and it reminds people that things like tis can and do happen. That's about all I have to say right now, I'm forgetting things again.

Khan
11-16-2007, 04:13 AM
Yes, but I'm getting the feeling that people like the original better, because it is a landmark film. You're right about the remake have less suspense, I forgot a lot about it. I forgot what I was just going to say...

A majority of people like the original more because it is a better film.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-16-2007, 10:02 AM
A majority of people like the original more because it is a better film.

You speak the truth. :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

THEGUY26
11-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I speak what I think.

HannibalBEATNGU
11-16-2007, 04:34 PM
I definitely wouldn't say that the majority = quality, but Carpenter's is leagues better than RZH, and that's coming from someone that loves TDR quite a bit more than any of the Halloween films.

Khan
11-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I speak what I think.

So you don't appreciate the impact that the original had on horror cinema?

F@@@inlovemyers
11-16-2007, 07:06 PM
So you don't appreciate the impact that the original had on horror cinema?

I know I do

:bow:John Carpenter Halloween

:vomit:Rob Zombies Halloween

THEGUY26
11-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I do, but if Zombie's came out first, what would you like better? If Zombie's was the one that spawned all those 7 sequels, and Carpenter's was the remake, which would you perfer? Just imagine that Zombie's Halloween camout out in 1978.

Khan
11-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I would prefer Carpenter's, as it is a better quality film.

All of the "what if's" are null and void anyways.

mcilroga
11-17-2007, 10:31 AM
The only thing better about the remake is Judith's death scene, seeing as Sandy Johnson in the original was a repulsive actor.

But the events leading up to that death in the original beat the ones in the remake.

Kinick
11-17-2007, 10:37 AM
If Zombie's movie came out '78 I don't there would have been seven sequels to it for a start, not to mention a huge fanbase to encourage a remake. Zombie's and Carpenter's are two different breeds of horror movies.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I do, but if Zombie's came out first, what would you like better? If Zombie's was the one that spawned all those 7 sequels, and Carpenter's was the remake, which would you perfer? Just imagine that Zombie's Halloween camout out in 1978.

Rob Zombie is not good enough film maker to have created a series like Halloween, which is why he tried and failed to duplicate John Carpenters masterpiece. IMO

I would prefer Carpenter's, as it is a better quality film.

All of the "what if's" are null and void anyways.

Yes the "what if's" are null and void because in reality John Carpenters came out first and is the best Halloween IMO.

THEGUY26, you are in the wrong place to bash the Original Halloween you know the one that came out first and revolutionized the horror genre, oh and you wouldn't even be here agueing that the remake is better if it wasn't for John Carpenters Halloween. :)

THEGUY26
11-17-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm not bashing the original, I only like Zombie's version a tiny bit better. The original is in second place as far as the Halloween movies go. I agree with what you guys are saying. On reason I like the new one better, is because of the whole prequel thing. If the prequel part was put in the original, it would be the perfect movie. I do like the original better than Zombie's version of the original, but it's the prequel that I personally like.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-17-2007, 11:46 AM

that sure does seem like a bashing to me, but who am i to call you on it.

and the prequel sucked in my opinion, Zombie used up too much of the movie with young michael and second part of the movie was way rushed and it showed in the quality of the ending.

mattc_85
11-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm not bashing the original, I only like Zombie's version a tiny bit better. The original is in second place as far as the Halloween movies go. I agree with what you guys are saying. On reason I like the new one better, is because of the whole prequel thing. If the prequel part was put in the original, it would be the perfect movie. I do like the original better than Zombie's version of the original, but it's the prequel that I personally like.
The point of the original was to have a sense of unknown. Having a backstory to what caused Michael to do what he did would defeat the entire purpose of the movie. It was supposed to be about the boogeyman, no explanation.

THEGUY26
11-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Maybe I liked it because I already saw the original, and wanted some answers.

mattc_85
11-17-2007, 11:59 AM
The new movie doesn't answer questions to the original.

Khan
11-17-2007, 12:15 PM
The new movie doesn't answer questions to the original.

Yeah, they are two separate films.

and the prequel sucked in my opinion, Zombie used up too much of the movie with young michael and second part of the movie was way rushed and it showed in the quality of the ending.

Yeah, the pacing was way off.

The point of the original was to have a sense of unknown. Having a backstory to what caused Michael to do what he did would defeat the entire purpose of the movie. It was supposed to be about the boogeyman, no explanation.

Well said.

THEGUY26
11-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, what was a question that you had from the original?

mattc_85
11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
I didn't have questions from the original.

Khan
11-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I didn't have any either.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-17-2007, 12:45 PM

yep, Michael Myers was meant to be a "force", not a person, pure evil unstoppable force and Zombies remake tries to explain him and make him human and that is less scary.

Well, what was a question that you had from the original?

your just not making any sense

mattc_85
11-17-2007, 12:49 PM
your just not making any sense
Yeah I am not sure what the whole point is. I still wouldn't like RZH if it came out first. Too much was explained, Michael was supposed to be evil, thats it. The whole abused childhood thing is not scary at all and I think it diluted the terror that the original had. Don't get me started on all the bad dialogue between the girls, either.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Don't get me started on all the bad dialogue between the girls, either.

tell me about it, that was terrible.:wtf:

Yeah I am not sure what the whole point is. I still wouldn't like RZH if it came out first. Too much was explained, Michael was supposed to be evil, thats it. The whole abused childhood thing is not scary at all and I think it diluted the terror that the original had.

well said :nodsmile:

mattc_85
11-17-2007, 12:57 PM
All I can say is that I won't be adding RZH to my Halloween collection.

Khan
11-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Me neither.

mattc_85
11-17-2007, 01:32 PM
I wonder how well it will do on DVD?

Khan
11-17-2007, 01:34 PM
It won't break records like The Lion King did back in 1994, but it should do well enough, especially when rentals are considered.

F@@@inlovemyers
11-17-2007, 01:37 PM
All I can say is that I won't be adding RZH to my Halloween collection.

i'll buy it just to make my collection complete but I know i will barely watch it.

Khan
11-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I am not the type who has to own every movie in a series no matter how bad it is.

I don't own Resurrection and never plan to.

I also don't own Jason X or JGTH, but I was dumb enough to buy F Vs. J...

mattc_85
11-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah it would just be a waste of money for me. I will never watch that movie again. My ears were bleeding in the first 20 minutes with the amount of profanity.

Khan
11-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I only need to see some movies once and this is one of them.

AJ*
11-19-2007, 08:44 AM
The only kill Rob did better was the killing of Judith but that wasn't hard to top to begin with. The one thing that kind of spoiled that scene for me was watching Bobblehead Myers chasing Judith down the hallway because I chuckled during that part and it took me out of the scene a bit.

Lynda's kill in the original is hands down better than the one in RZH. Zombie made that kill look ridiculous. Michael and Lynda were barely moving which is pretty stupid considering it was a strangulation scene. Either Michael should have been wringing her neck or Lynda should have been struggling. Adding the shakey cam didn't help. It was like someone was shaking a still photograph and came off as gimmicky instead of gritty.

Annie's death was better in the original by default because she actually did die lol.

Bob's death in the original was better as well. No shakey cam and of course the head tilt afterwards.

Cereal Killer
11-21-2007, 02:02 AM
What he said ;)

Laurie2007
12-17-2007, 05:40 PM
the 78 deaths are much much better...some of rob zombie's kills made me laugh the way they were over exaggerated

1978 COLLECTOR
12-17-2007, 05:50 PM
I thought that the deaths of the same characters getting killed from the original are verry simular, and not as shocking. It was shocking, in a bad way, how Annie and Linda were killed, one FULLY Exposed and one half exposed. When Linda in the remake was killed she was fully exposed. In the original, we got one glance of a nipple, and in a press kit photo of the original, she was wearing a bath robe! And Daniel's death, the only thing going through my mind is ,"I wonder if I told Daniel this on the set of H5, if she would belive me..."

Loomis's death is like a hammer horror film, it is though to live with and yet there it is. But the Uncut Director's Cut, that will change.

The rest were ok, creative but ok...

slasher
12-18-2007, 07:55 PM
I thought the death scenes from the new Halloween were to graphic but thats just me. I'll take the 78' death scenes.

JOeKER
12-18-2007, 07:59 PM
I gotta say... I love the out-of-nowhere attack on Mason Strode. It made me jump each time I watched it. It was just perfect timing. Even though I know it's coming, it still throws me off.

Deckard
12-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I gotta say... I love the out-of-nowhere attack on Mason Strode. It made me jump each time I watched it. It was just perfect timing. Even though I know it's coming, it still throws me off.

The workprint version with Michael walking up on him is 100 times better though, I thought. The suspense of it just killed me. After seeing how that scene played out completely I just don't care for quick slash cut we are ultimately ending up with...and its the one thing from the DC that I was hoping to be re-added.

JOeKER
12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Well you are right about the suspense in the walk up. I love that as well. It's the same situation I feel about the endings for this movie too. I love the ending Zombie settled on, but I also love the alternate ending. It's as if I wish they could both be incorporated somehow even though it's not really possible... especially to have a walk up and the jump attack. One obviously eliminates the other.

The Dark Shape
12-18-2007, 08:55 PM

So where did 6'8" Michael pop out from?

1978 COLLECTOR
12-18-2007, 09:02 PM
From what I remeber from a theatrical screening, out of a hallway into the livingroom...

Jackolantern99
12-19-2007, 07:08 PM
It's kind of hard to compare the deaths in this movie to the original's, since only four people (if you want to compare Joe Grizly to the mechanic from the original) who died in the original die in the remake.

However, I have to admit that some of the deaths in Zombie's movie were hard to watch and, therefore, effective in my eyes. Laurie's parents' deaths make me cringe, and the entire scene with Annie being dragged across the floor and found bloody (even though she lives) is tough for me to watch.

1978 COLLECTOR
12-19-2007, 07:30 PM
BUT THAT IS THE POINT! It is disturbing and it is scarry and ruthless! Good job by Zombie. Verry little in criticaly good seconds of the movie but entertainmently wise, this film is comparable to the Saw films...

F@@@inlovemyers
12-19-2007, 07:38 PM
this film is comparable to the Saw films...

yep, and IMO the saw films and this remake are TERRIBLE films, just plain terrible films based on gore and curse words.

Roswell
12-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Obviously the deaths that are taken from the original aren't as effective here, but the added deaths (especially the bully death), were pretty effective to me. They were brutal without being too gory, which is how horror deaths should be.

Halloween444
12-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Well the kill in the original are so fantastic but I gotta say that in the remake I really appreciate how Zombie put the Bob Death same as the Carpenter 78 one it was neat in those deleted scenes there is a scene called VAN KILL if they had stick with this one I would have been pissed a lot I mean michael killing Bob in the Van DUMB.

Halloween444
12-21-2007, 11:45 AM
BUT THAT IS THE POINT! It is disturbing and it is scarry and ruthless! Good job by Zombie. Verry little in criticaly good seconds of the movie but entertainmently wise, this film is comparable to the Saw films...

Lol actually Rob Halloween was awesome IMO and The Saw flicks are just getting Dumber each time a new one is getting made as far has im concerned there is only 2 Saw movie.

tama_drummer91
12-21-2007, 02:40 PM
I prefer the remakes. I guess Im one of the few.

Khan
12-21-2007, 02:56 PM
So you don't like the original anymore?

HannibalBEATNGU
12-21-2007, 03:05 PM
yep, and IMO the saw films and this remake are TERRIBLE films, just plain terrible films based on gore and curse words.

There isn't really a tremendous amount of swearing in the SAW films, and if all you saw was violence, you weren't paying much attention.

I think the Halloween remake is terrible too, but not because of the use of violence.

"Lol actually Rob Halloween was awesome IMO and The Saw flicks are just getting Dumber each time a new one is getting made as far has im concerned there is only 2 Saw movie."

SAW III is far more psychologically and emotionally driven than the first two were, and SAW IV, as flawed as it is, is far better than Trashoween came close to being.

Halloween444
12-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I prefer the remakes. I guess Im one of the few.

Yes you are a minority lol. I really appreciated Zombie Vision but the original is Untouchable.

F@@@inlovemyers
12-21-2007, 04:42 PM
There isn't really a tremendous amount of swearing in the SAW films, and if all you saw was violence, you weren't paying much attention.

yes, their is a lot of violence in the saw films, their based on torture.., people cutting shit out of other people, and people cutting their feet off, people getting put into an oven and burnt to death, people getting hit in the head with a bat with nails in it, people getting thrown into a pile of needles, people putting their hands into a razorblade trap. Yeah, I'd call that a lot of violence and gore, and I've given each saw film I've seen which is only the first two a chance, but after about ten minutes of watching them I can't pay attention to the film trying to have a story or a meaning, cause all I see is torture and gore and more gore.

SAW III is far more psychologically and emotionally driven than the first two were, and SAW IV, as flawed as it is, is far better than Trashoween came close to being.

I can't believe I'm actually gonna say this but, I'd rather watch RZH than watch people torture themselves for an hour and a half in any of the SAW films.

tama_drummer91
12-21-2007, 07:53 PM
So you don't like the original anymore?

Love the original, but Ive seen it so many times. Its the film that got me into horror movies, so nothing can ever take that spot away. I just really like the death scenes better in the remake and the remake is incredible to me.

tama_drummer91
12-21-2007, 07:55 PM
yes, their is a lot of violence in the saw films, their based on torture.., people cutting shit out of other people, and people cutting their feet off, people getting put into an oven and burnt to death, people getting hit in the head with a bat with nails in it, people getting thrown into a pile of needles, people putting their hands into a razorblade trap. Yeah, I'd call that a lot of violence and gore, and I've given each saw film I've seen which is only the first two a chance, but after about ten minutes of watching them I can't pay attention to the film trying to have a story or a meaning, cause all I see is torture and gore and more gore.

I can't believe I'm actually gonna say this but, I'd rather watch RZH than watch people torture themselves for an hour and a half in any of the SAW films.

I love RZH and every single Saw film made. Once again, I guess Im in the minority on here?

Khan
12-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Love the original, but Ive seen it so many times. Its the film that got me into horror movies, so nothing can ever take that spot away. I just really like the death scenes better in the remake and the remake is incredible to me.

So the remake as a whole is better then the original?

Did it influence a generation of horror cinema and bring slashers into the mainstream?

tama_drummer91
12-21-2007, 08:52 PM
So the remake as a whole is better then the original?

Did it influence a generation of horror cinema and bring slashers into the mainstream?

As of now, yes I do like the remake better. I may have a shit taste in movies. Who knows? Ill say this one more time today; the original is a flat out classic, but by no means does that mean I have to like it better. Im not putting the film down at all. I love it to death, but after seeing it so many times...

Dark Chaos
12-21-2007, 08:53 PM
To me it seems the 78 version you were watching the kills then leaving. Some of the scenes in the 07 version made it like you were Michael and you are doing the killing and watching the person die and all the gore that goes with it. I guess it is a personal preference and I am going to go with both.

Khan
12-21-2007, 08:53 PM
As of now, yes I do like the remake better. I may have a shit taste in movies. Who knows? Ill say this one more time today; the original is a flat out classic, but by no means does that mean I have to like it better. Im not putting the film down at all. I love it to death, but after seeing it so many times...

When I was your age, I hadn't made up my mind either. ;)

A movie like the original is timeless and doesn't get worse after repeat viewings, only better.

It was part of the glory days of horror.

tama_drummer91
12-21-2007, 09:09 PM
When I was your age, I hadn't made up my mind either. ;)

A movie like the original is timeless and doesn't get worse after repeat viewings, only better.

It was part of the glory days of horror.

Please don't bring my age into it. I highly doubt my age has little to do with this discussion. I believe that the original should always be held up as one of the greatest horror films of all time. I truly believe that it wont ever be forgotten, but I dont put it up on such a high pedestal saying nothing will ever compare. Thats to ignorant on my part to do so.

Pasabi
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
The original Scarface isn't considered or hardly spoken about compared to Al Pacino's verison in todays world. I don't consider RZ's Halloween anywhere near that of the original. But I do like aspects of his film as well as the updates to Laurie's character to make it more sound to the times. Besides the 1st half being absolutely terrible. Even though I appluad Rob at trying something new. I thought the second half was quite good besides being to rushed for time for the characters to full evolve onscreen, with some parts that should have or could have been changed. Had Zombie had somone to do do rewrites for him for dialog it would have been a much better film. This film was made more or less in what? 4 months or less til they went to shoot it.

This film has just about the same reasons critically why H5 was tore up by viewers. Rush into production with not enough time in pre.

To me you could have combined Annie and Linda together since they were too much alike and I just didn't like the new Annie character though I think Dainelle did a terrific job in acting it.

I think the deaths in 78 were much better. Though i do like how RZ brought more meaning to it with the basement scene of him recreating his family based off of looks and what not.

On a side note I don't get why you make somone's character a stripper and then not show her ta ta's. I always hate that about movies that have that. Even though it went into Michael's deranged family theme.

F@@@inlovemyers
12-21-2007, 10:50 PM
The original Scarface isn't considered or hardly spoken about compared to Al Pacino's verison in todays world.

not that I like the remake better than the original but peeps like the Al Pacino's scarface cause it's better, and because the original was made in what? like the 30s or 40s.

Even though I appluad Rob at trying something new.

I do too

On a side note I don't get why you make somone's character a stripper and then not show her ta ta's. I always hate that about movies that have that. Even though it went into Michael's deranged family theme.

cause it's Robs wife(and they're bastards), even though she showed her ass in Rejects.

*CHA*MAM*
12-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Better Bob and Lynda deaths in original, but better Judith death in the remake. Annie is a toss-up for me, too. I just loved Ronnie's death in the remake 'cause I hated that motherfucker from the second he opened his mouth!!

Undrtkerkane
12-30-2007, 10:07 PM

Yup and I will continue to say this:

New One SUCKED! :jason::mike:

bewp
01-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Judith Myers- I prefer her death in Halloween 2007, as to the 1978 one. I didn't really like the 1978 one, it was a little overated, as of you barely saw anything, you just her some fake-sounding mones, but in the 2007 version it's a lot more realistic. The way she walks through the hallway bleeding to death and falls into a pool of her own blood.

Bob- Since it was pretty much the same, either of them are fine with me.

Lynda VanDerKlock? I liked her 1978 death better. The whole strangled by the phone cord while Laurie listens thinking she's playing a joke had me interested. But what I like about the 2007 Lynda death better is after she's dead Michael walks through the hallway with her corpse.

Annie Brackett- I hear different stories about her, whether she died or not in this one. I choose to believe she bled to death before they were able to save her, because I don't think someone could survive that. I liked her 1978 death better as well. "My Paul. I give you all, no keys." and the strangling in the car, that's the greatest. But, Danielle Harris' convincing acting made this annie's [death?] great too. When he dragged her across the floor while she was like, sobbing for her life and hanging on to the carpet, and when Laurie finds her laying there and she's screaming her name.

Pasabi
01-14-2008, 09:17 PM
I prefer all of the deaths in 78. Though I enjoyed Annie's whole chase alot more than that of 78's. I don't think there is anyway they are going to kill off Dainelle Harris unless she chooses not to return. I think she is to popular and would contribute to a great Halloween 2 plot with Laurie and Annie returning instead of another solo Laurie film which I'm sort of burnt out on with only the solo characters living along with the grown up and possible boyfriend.

Khan
01-15-2008, 03:59 AM
I prefer all of the deaths in 78.

Me too.

samhain51
01-15-2008, 07:30 AM
The movie in 78 was just better because it was the original but I cant complain because Rob tried and It really wasnt that bad ! I like d some parts a lot!

myers5fan
01-16-2008, 09:59 PM
The Original one all the way. Although I kind of liked the fact that Annie lived in the remake. She was the only one out of the girls that I could stand.

80sJEM
12-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Judith Myers- I prefer her death in Halloween 2007, as to the 1978 one. I didn't really like the 1978 one, it was a little overated, as of you barely saw anything, you just her some fake-sounding mones, but in the 2007 version it's a lot more realistic. The way she walks through the hallway bleeding to death and falls into a pool of her own blood.

Lynda VanDerKlock? I liked her 1978 death better. The whole strangled by the phone cord while Laurie listens thinking she's playing a joke had me interested. But what I like about the 2007 Lynda death better is after she's dead Michael walks through the hallway with her corpse.

Annie Brackett- I hear different stories about her, whether she died or not in this one. I choose to believe she bled to death before they were able to save her, because I don't think someone could survive that. I liked her 1978 death better as well. "My Paul. I give you all, no keys." and the strangling in the car, that's the greatest. But, Danielle Harris' convincing acting made this annie's [death?] great too. When he dragged her across the floor while she was like, sobbing for her life and hanging on to the carpet, and when Laurie finds her laying there and she's screaming her name.

All of this for me! I just ommitted Bob because the leading up to his in the original is TOPS ("Lynda, you asshole!") and lame in the remake. But, despite how much I don't care at ALL for the new Judith, she sure died better than the original! Original sounded just like Tuesday Knight did as Kristen Parker when she was getting sucked down the sinkhole on the beach...and even though nothing can be better for me than PJ's Lynda on the phone with Laurie getting strangled by the ghost ("I want to know where Paul and Annie are! This is going NOWHERE!") I DO like how Michael put Lynda in the basement for Laurie to find.
And Annie--though Nancy's version one of my favorite characters in the whole original series and I love watching her confusion at the cloudy car windows before she gets choked--gives Scout's Laurie TONS to work with and I LOVE Laurie trying to help her and calling the cops! I think I would've liked it more if Annie had bled out, though, and Laurie found out it was all for nothing.

Michael Voorhees
01-14-2013, 11:40 AM
But then, if that had happened, we wouldn't have gotten the far superior sequel in all of it's glory. ;) Annie was a big part of the movie considering the web that the characters were all caught in.

But I'd have to go with the '78 deaths, for the most part, because it utilizes the "less is more" technique. At the same time, I give credit to Zombie for not going over the top with his kills & making it realistic violence that could be actually be done, & not someone getting their head punched off.

blacksymbiote
01-18-2013, 05:16 AM
I prefer 1978 Judith's death since we didn't know the killer was supposed to be a child at the time.
I still prefer 1978 Lynda and Bob as well and find them more scary than the remake's version.
I do like the remake specific deaths like the Strodes and Ronnie. They made for great scenes.

Pandaz
01-18-2013, 08:47 AM
It's not about the kills in the original, but the buildup. The kills themselves are the payoff. In RZH, the kills are brutal to depict violence as, well, violent. They work for the film, though. Since each director is going for something completely different, I find this comparison impossible.

ClassOf78
01-18-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm honestly not sure which kills I prefer. I think the kills in the original work fine. The only problem I've had with any of the kills in Carpenter's Halloween is Annie's death. I understand they didn't want to use gore, and I commend them for that. But I'm pretty sure if your throat is cut, you're going to bleed. I guess it was an invisible cut.

Michael Voorhees
01-18-2013, 07:53 PM
I agree there, that's the one thing that, not all the time, but sometimes, makes me stop & think "where's the blood?" It didn't even have to be blood just oozing down her neck, but just a few streaks would've done the job without appearing gory.

Thorni52
01-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Annie's Death(78') has a weird quality to it. I'll admit there's a kind of "dead air"/waiting for something to happen when Michael chokes her. The awkwardness is cut off by one of Carpenter's loud zingers. The reveal that Michael is in the backseat was always effective, but the amount of time he's choking her could have been edited down or cut a few frames. Anyone share the same opinion on this? I don't really have a problem with it...just saying.

ClassOf78
01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
It didn't even have to be blood just oozing down her neck, but just a few streaks would've done the job without appearing gory.

That's what I've always thought. I mean, shit, given that the lighting is so blue, they could have just put a streak of cherry syrup on her neck and it would have worked just as well, haha.

Other than that, I've always liked that scene. It's actually one of the creepier scenes in the film. Something about the ghostly lighting and the fogged up windshield gives the whole scene an eerie, almost dream-like quality to it.

CJ7
01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Annie's "death" scene is better in Rob's than the original. I still think Nancy over did it with her death scene.

80sJEM
01-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Annie's "death" scene is better in Rob's than the original. I still think Nancy over did it with her death scene.

Nancy's was just so WEIRD, wasn't it? I mean, the choking and horn honking was good, but he slits her throat and then she slithers down with that look on her face...there should have been just a LITTLE something more there.

Michael Voorhees
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Looking at it now, the death's in the original movie are scarier, but the kills in the remake are more realistic. The original basically sets up the kills as the punch line. The little jokes along the way are the scares & tension, & then when the death scenes come, they have more impact because of those little jump scares along the way.

With the '07 remake, the kills are scary because they are done in a realistic manner. It's fast paced, random violence, exactly the way it would be if a serial killer seriously targeted someone. The kills aren't over the top or made to get the audience to cheer, they are brutal & done in quick succession to achieve a level of fear through the randomness of the acts.