PDA

View Full Version : Does the remake affect your enjoyment of the original?

Roswell
10-18-2007, 08:33 AM
I know this might be a silly question for some of you (and I too think it's a bit silly), but I read a post from someone online (not here) about how they can never enjoy the original Halloween the same way again after seeing Zombie's film.

So, I'll ask the question here. Does the remake affect your enjoyment of the original film?

benluvin
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Not even the slightest. They're two seperate movies, and I enjoy each for what they are.

Sure I might think about the remake when I watch it a little, but I don't think of them the same.

So no.

Khan
10-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Not at all.

It probably makes me appreciate the original more if that is possible.

MischievousSpirit
10-18-2007, 09:58 AM
No, it doesn't.

Muse
10-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Not even the slightest.

Not at all.

No, it doesn't.

Whichever way you want to put it ;D

Danny Strode
10-18-2007, 11:17 AM
No. But after seeing the remake, the original leaves a lot to be desired.

Jason-M
10-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Not even the slightest. They're two seperate movies, and I enjoy each for what they are.

Sure I might think about the remake when I watch it a little, but I don't think of them the same.

So no.

I agree with what you say that they are two seperate films. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the original at all

Khan
10-18-2007, 11:27 AM
No. But after seeing the remake, the original leaves a lot to be desired.

Blasphemy.

The original is as close to perfect as you can get in a horror movie.

Danny Strode
10-18-2007, 05:18 PM
What I meant was, a lot of things happened in this one that one could've asked about the originial.

Patrick1679
10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Not at all. No more than any of the crappy sequels, after 2, have. It's a different movie.

Khan
10-18-2007, 05:39 PM
What I meant was, a lot of things happened in this one that one could've asked about the originial.

You didn't need to know anything more about the original then you already know.

LordBoogeyman
10-18-2007, 05:48 PM
The original is my favorite movie, horror or otherwise, but I know what he was getting at. But no, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the original one way or the other. That said, I really do love Rob Zombie's movie as a) a Rob Zombie movie and b) a superior entry in the Halloween series post H2.

MyersFan927
10-18-2007, 06:19 PM
No, because they're two very different movies and the original is a lot better.

MichaelMyers04
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
I've actually began to appreciate the original more than I ever did before. So for me, yes it did change the way I look at the original (I enjoy it a LOT more).

Monte
10-18-2007, 06:55 PM
No. The remake doesn't fuck with the backstory any more than the sequels do. In fact the sequels are more problematic as they actually take place in the same cinematic universe as the original movie. Is one's enjoyment of the original affected by the revelation that Michael is controlled by a constellation?

mtd20_2000
10-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Not at all...two different movies.

mmyers78
10-20-2007, 05:11 PM
No, this movie doesn't affect my enjoyment of the original.

BunnyMcNibbnles
10-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I know this might be a silly question for some of you (and I too think it's a bit silly), but I read a post from someone online (not here) about how they can never enjoy the original Halloween the same way again after seeing Zombie's film.

So, I'll ask the question here. Does the remake affect your enjoyment of the original film?

Yes, the remake affects my enjoyment. It makes me enjoy the original MORE because it made me realize how much of a masterpiece it is -- especially compared to Zombie's shitfest.

Mr. Bruce
10-20-2007, 10:55 PM
No it just makes me worship the original more.

Ravenheart
10-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Not at all.I enjoy both movies.

LordOfTheDead83
10-21-2007, 02:23 AM
RZH just helped me to realize how much of a timeless classic the 1978 version was. RZH was Rob's failed attempt at staying true to an original masterpiece, but I will give him credit for making it his own, and if HalloweeN was never born in 1978, RZH would have taken its place.

Todd
10-21-2007, 09:33 AM
RZH just helped me to realize how much of a timeless classic the 1978 version was. RZH was Rob's failed attempt at staying true to an original masterpiece, but I will give him credit for making it his own, and if HalloweeN was never born in 1978, RZH would have taken its place.
Rob Zombie didn't try to stay true to the original.
He took the basic concept and put his own spin on things.
If he was trying to simply copy what Carpenter did, we wouldn't have seen much of young Michael and what little we did see would have been of Mikey coming from a middle class family and suddenly flipping out with seemingly no warning. We also wouldn't have seen Loomis calling the adult Michael his "best friend".
I think Zombie succeeded at what he was trying to do, but obviously his vision didn't suit everyone.

Hallow's Eve
10-22-2007, 03:58 AM
I feared that it might, but it doesn't. The original is iconic and a much better film, it's a classic that paved the way for modern horror. The remake was solid, and Zombie did bring an original element to it. It was a lot of fun to watch. The difference is the remake isn't the slightest bit scary where the original is terrifying to this day.

Halloween444
10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
For me Halloween the original will alway's will be my all time favorite Halloween movies of all the series but when I first heard there was gonna be a remake I was anxious but now that I've seen Zombie remake 3 time already plus the WP im glad that it dont tanish my view of the original.

HiddenDragon
10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Much as I like Rob's version of Halloween, it makes me appreciate the original more. After all, the original is a classic and nothing could ever ruin it for me.

LordOfTheDead83
10-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Rob Zombie didn't try to stay true to the original.
He took the basic concept and put his own spin on things.
If he was trying to simply copy what Carpenter did, we wouldn't have seen much of young Michael and what little we did see would have been of Mikey coming from a middle class family and suddenly flipping out with seemingly no warning. We also wouldn't have seen Loomis calling the adult Michael his "best friend".
I think Zombie succeeded at what he was trying to do, but obviously his vision didn't suit everyone.
I could have sworn I remember seeing a behind the scenes interview with Rob where he sayed he wished to stay true to the original film, but then at the same time bring his own story to it. Perhaps I'm wrong. To me he succeded on the latter, but not the former.

H-Field Hero
10-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I guess mentally I don't view the latest Halloween film as an actual remake of the original. To me it's basically the latest installment. It doesn't affect my viewing of the original anymore than H:R does.

I can't imagine anything affecting my current feelings toward the first 8 films in the series. Unless a string of really shitty sequels came out causing me to appreciation the original 8 more :p.

moviestud87
10-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Not at all The original will always have a special place in my heart the remake and the original are two different movies. :)

MrShape666
10-24-2007, 12:21 PM
That would be a big no.

HannibalBEATNGU
10-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah, it made me appreciate the original more and it made me wish Rob did.

Silverpsycho
10-25-2007, 12:49 PM
No, not at all...which is why I find most of them to be entertaining. The original will always be there. It's not like someone took the original and inserted more lame scenes into it or took away from it. Only something like that would truly interfere with the original. For example, the extended television version of HalloweeN is making a change on that exact film. I do like it but that is the only movie that could alter my feelings about the original because it is the original. The sequels and remake are totally different films and I like most of them, but they could never make me feel differently about the classic which started it all. A HalloweeN musical could be made with songs like that of High School Musical and it still wouldn't cause me to dislike or change my mind about the original.

slasher
10-26-2007, 10:47 AM
No way in hell. The Original still rules.

BuiltForTheKill
10-30-2007, 09:41 AM
The remake enhances my view of the original, and it solidifies in my mind, that remakes are the worst thing...with the exception of John C's THE THING remake.

Laurie2007
10-30-2007, 09:43 AM
doesnt affect me at all because they are two seperate movies and i went in to the theater with that in mind...despite what others say i do like the remake because its something i can relate to better because of the teens but the original will always be there at the top

Khan
10-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Do you rub bagels on your chest and talk dirty to your mom? :p

JWILL2
11-02-2007, 08:19 AM
No I watched RZ's movie with a clear head not even thinking of the 1st one...The orignial is a classic and could never be topped by a remake...There were very few things I liked about RZ halloween...but thats just my opinion

qwerty90221
11-03-2007, 08:15 AM
John Carpenter's Halloween will always be the best. Rob Zombie's Halloween does a good job in coming close to it.

CritterKoas
11-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Well, I think of Halloween78 and RZHalloween as diffrent universal timelines...so no...

in my mind it goes

H1,H2, H20, HR

or

H1, H2, H4, H5, H6

or

H3

Or RZHalloween

so..I like being able to have many diffrent timelines to pick from

Padams
11-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I cannot compare the two films. I will always admire, respect and honor the original. RZ's version did not sour nor add any to my Halloween viewing experience. OK, maybe I lie .. I did end up falling more in love with the original this past Halloween and appreciating even more what JC and DH had given the world.

ThornMember83
11-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Nah it did not. They are two different types of movies so I enjoy them both for different reasons.

NYCKing87
11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Like Critterkroas said, I look at them as different films in a different universal timeline. I like both for what they are.

The Frightmaster
11-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I cannot compare the two films. I will always admire, respect and honor the original. RZ's version did not sour nor add any to my Halloween viewing experience. OK, maybe I lie .. I did end up falling more in love with the original this past Halloween and appreciating even more what JC and DH had given the world.

Agreed!!! :nodsmile:

WhiteZombie
11-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah, it made me appreciate the original more and it made me wish Rob did.

Because you dident like his version of it? Please.

And no it dident. The original is one of my favorite movies ever, a classic. The remake is a sweet movie.

njdevs03champs
11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
The original affect my enjoyment of the remake because the original was a short story compared to the remake which is like a novel.

Inhumane
11-06-2007, 06:18 PM

Not at all. I appreciate Carpenter's even more now. RZ's Halloween, as far as I'm concerned, is complete garbage.

MaDMaNMaRz
11-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Not at all. They're both completely different films. While I didn't enjoy RZ's remake, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the original, which is still my favorite movie of all-time.

bangtango
11-20-2007, 05:59 PM
The remake made me appreciate not just the original movie more but also the actors involved. When doing the casting for RZH, someone should have told Rob to "watch the first step because there's a real drop off." John Carpenter's movie made both Jamie Lee Curtis and Michael Myers a household name. Ain't nobody becoming a star on account of RZH.

H-Field Hero
11-20-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm kind of "meh" as far as the remake goes. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it all that much. Needless to say it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the original at all.

Cereal Killer
11-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Nope. What people fail to realize is the 78' film actually inspired the "remake". It was soooo good that someone modernized it for a newer generation of HalloweeN fans. I understand today's crowd digging it more than 78's though. I really can't sit through the original Black Christmas but the "remake" is awesome IMHO. If you were a purest of Black Christmas, the remake would give you gray hair. It's just 1% original.

Zombie changed shit with HalloweeN 07'... but it was complimentary to the The Night HE Came Home. JC & DH's film will never be outdone... it's a cult classic, & it's a groundbreaking horror classic.

I still love 78's. I watched the new one once on Halloween, the original was played about 10 times :)

Dr Hoffman
11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
I watched the original over Halloween (as usual) it was the first viewing after seeing Mr Zombie's effort, if anythying it made me appreciate the genius of the original even more, it's much more scary and a much better made film and i didn't hate the remake it's just not a patch on Carpenter's.

The Shape Lives
11-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I liked it and I can still enjoy the originals but I am disappointed now because the studio wants to continue with the RZ story when they now could have two open stories: the original storyline and RZ storyline which they could make sequels to.

alexis
11-21-2007, 01:45 PM
In love the old one so much more now--Rob Zombie's is longer, bloodier, faster paced but the original just makes this new one look awful! The original is my favourite movie ever and I just appreaciate it even more now...*loves it* :ANYWORD:

myers5fan
11-24-2007, 07:14 PM
It made me appreciate the original so much more....

horrornut
11-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Nope, not at all. I think I now have a new, fresh appreciation for the original. Put it up and the big screen again last weekend for a few friends. I'll never get tired of watching that one.

mattc_85
11-24-2007, 07:26 PM
No, if anything it makes me appreciate it even more!

Laurie Strode
11-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Not one bit. I love the original. As a matter of fact, just watched it the other day. The remake is crap IMO, so it'll be like "Resurrection" to me, meaning I won't watch it alot, if at all.

Chaosboy
11-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Why would one movie affect your enjoyment of another?

PINKSUGARBABE
11-25-2007, 05:11 AM
i would say no.
but i havent seen the remake yet:(
i will soon.

halloweenfan07
11-26-2007, 10:29 PM
not @ all

nousefouraname
12-02-2007, 11:23 AM
this remake doesn't affect my enjoyment of the original one bit. I look at this like a total re-imagining and it has no bearing on the events or story of the original.

It's like a cover song. RZ could have done whatever he wanted with it and it wouldn't have changed the original.

If anything, some of the horrible and pointless sequals ruined my ability to enjoy the original for a while. It took me a few years to come to grips with some of the inane things that were in a few of the sequals and that diluted the effectiveness of Carpenters original.

Because of some of those bad sequals, the only way I've been able to rationalize the entire original timeline is to create my own personal timeline that has omitted parts 5, 6, and Resurrection. For me, the only halloween movies that I recognize are 1, 2, 3, 4, and h20.

So, it was refreshing that RZ decided to do something different and not destroy the original story even further.

Severed
12-02-2007, 12:44 PM
I see them as completely different movies, so no; it doesn't effect my enjoyment at all. I love both films for what they are.

Patrick1679
12-02-2007, 02:49 PM
If the sequels after H2 didn't affect my enjoyment then by no means does this new remake. Which I thought was pretty good. Certainly not better than the first two films.

temp19
12-02-2007, 11:12 PM
How can a new stand alone movie affect my love for the Original? I view them as seperate entities and enjoy them both for what they are.

F@@@inlovemyers
12-03-2007, 02:17 AM
It just makes me love the original even more, and the remake is just a disgrace to Michael Myers, it makes me enjoy his character in H1, H2, H4, H20 even more.

BoogeyMan88
12-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I still enjoy the original as much as before. A remake cannot tarnish the original because they are 2 DIFFERENT MOVIES! I hated the remake when I first saw it but it is now starting to grow on me and I enjoy both films for what they are while being different than one another.

Pug-a-Licious
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
For me, no...not at all. I love them both..can't wait to see the remake again either :D I think they are both great movies, and honestly don't even compare the two very much.

Severed
12-04-2007, 12:40 PM
It just makes me love the original even more, and the remake is just a disgrace to Michael Myers, it makes me enjoy his character in H1, H2, H4, H20 even more.

H8 is the only disgrace to Michael Myers, IMO

viperswat
12-04-2007, 05:30 PM
I also tried to just completely put the original out of my mind while watching. While sometimes in this movie that wasn't an option, this film can be enjoyed on its own merits apart from the original.

Patrick1679
12-04-2007, 08:45 PM
H8 is the only disgrace to Michael Myers, IMO

H20 for me destroys Myers. Then HR. :dunno:

MMyers917
12-07-2007, 05:20 PM
nope but the original is MUCH better, actually the remake sucked :angry:

Peter_
12-08-2007, 03:19 AM
Strange as this sounds (I'm still trying to make sense of it myself)... After watching RZ's poor remake, it has since in the following months kind of tarnished my enjoyment and enthusiasm from watching the Halloween franchise as a whole. I find myself not watching the old series DVD's as much. I have stopped collecting Halloween memorbilia. The whole franchise just seems kind of cheapened to me now.

Dont get me wrong, I do still watch - and enjoy - the old movies but even while watching them something is just missing...

Perhaps, its the fact that the old series came to such an unfinished and abrupt end... knowing that the old series is officially dead from here on out and there will not be a proper closure to a series I have been following since I was a kid is very dissapointing.

There will never be a Halloween 9... It looks like all we are going to get at best from the studio is just a poor sequel to a poor remake - in another 3-5 years. Sad times.

bangtango
12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Strange as this sounds (I'm still trying to make sense of it myself)... After watching RZ's poor remake, it has since in the following months kind of tarnished my enjoyment and enthusiasm from watching the Halloween franchise as a whole. I find myself not watching the old series DVD's as much. I have stopped collecting Halloween memorbilia. The whole franchise just seems kind of cheapened to me now.

Dont get me wrong, I do still watch - and enjoy - the old movies but even while watching them something is just missing...

Perhaps, its the fact that the old series came to such an unfinished and abrupt end... knowing that the old series is officially dead from here on out and there will not be a proper closure to a series I have been following since I was a kid is very dissapointing.

There will never be a Halloween 9... It looks like all we are going to get at best from the studio is just a poor sequel to a poor remake - in another 3-5 years. Sad times.

Well, to me the remake insults the old series a little but doesn't hinder my enjoyment of any of the old movies.

What pissed me off was a couple things.

1. Rob Zombie mentioning in an interview that the only Halloween movie worth a damn was the first one and that he saw the second one "maybe once or twice but well over ten years ago." Yet he saw fit to borrow the Mr. Sandman tune and also saw fit to use the sister angle. Not only that but he claimed that "I forgot all about Laurie being Michael's sister in the later movies and only remembered the first one when he was after her for no reason." So he tried to pass off himself using the "sister" thing as a complete coincidence, instead of doing it delibrately. You just wish the guy would admit the truth instead of ducking a pretty good movie in H2 just because it was a "sequel."

2. Tyler Mane making some snide remark about Michael Myers being played in the past by nothing but stuntmen and that he'd bring something very different to the role. To me, some of those "stuntmen" did a pretty good job.

Khan
12-08-2007, 08:20 PM

No remake will stop me from enjoying the films I like in the original series.

It's Neal
12-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Like most others have said I look at this two films as completely different. The original was a good beginer piece, but they had to do more, because nothing was really told in the first one. The new one is a more complete movie with a begining, middle, and end. Both great, and both completly different feels.

Peter_
12-09-2007, 04:59 AM
Well, to me the remake insults the old series a little but doesn't hinder my enjoyment of any of the old movies.

What pissed me off was a couple things.

1. Rob Zombie mentioning in an interview that the only Halloween movie worth a damn was the first one and that he saw the second one "maybe once or twice but well over ten years ago." Yet he saw fit to borrow the Mr. Sandman tune and also saw fit to use the sister angle. Not only that but he claimed that "I forgot all about Laurie being Michael's sister in the later movies and only remembered the first one when he was after her for no reason." So he tried to pass off himself using the "sister" thing as a complete coincidence, instead of doing it delibrately. You just wish the guy would admit the truth instead of ducking a pretty good movie in H2 just because it was a "sequel."

2. Tyler Mane making some snide remark about Michael Myers being played in the past by nothing but stuntmen and that he'd bring something very different to the role. To me, some of those "stuntmen" did a pretty good job.

I feel ya, man. I agree 100%. Those "stuntmen" are what made the shape THE SHAPE and not just another horror movie ogre. Those "stuntmen" are what made Michael unique. The blank and the unknown aspect of M.M., his walk and all his trademark characteristics is what I think made the Halloween franchise special and different from other movies in the genre and why it has struck a chord with so many of us.

All Tyler Mane's inflated ego did was make Michael into another generic slasher, giant-oaf, wannabe Leatherface. It is very dissapointing.

Perhaps why my interest in watching the old series and collecting Halloween memorabilia has more or less has declined since watching R.Z Halloween is not JUST because R.Z remake sucked - but because - on top of it being a horrible movie and going against nearly EVERYTHING I loved about the original series, I think the biggest blow that has deflated my interest is knowing there will be no closure or finality of the series I've been following all these years... Over 20 years!

For example, can you imagine, if like the T.V shows "24" and "Prison Break" become icons for this generation and then for years and years the series goes on and on and that audience follows it faithfully during that time - then when the one fateful day comes that the plug is getting pulled on the show and the series is coming to an end - a big blowout finale and closure to the series should happen to satisfy and respect the fans AND the mythos of the series, right? BUT instead of getting this closure and a proper ending of the series.... one of the studio execs' comes along and decides "Well screw the fans that have been watching this forever and have been faithfully following the show all these years and made it sucessful, I have a better idea! Let's start from episode ONE again! Now we can cash in on a whole new generation and make an extra couple of bucks!" haha.

I'm very dissapointed in the studio (or whomever's decision it was) to kill off the old series BEFORE putting it to proper rest to respect the old fans that were faithfully following the franchise.

Want to do a horrible remake to cash in? Fine, whatever. BUT - Put an end to the old series before starting a new one!! There should be a "death" of series before trying to cash in on a "rebirth", right??!?

I'm sure not as many people would have been bummed about the remake if they would have gotten what they were looking forward to since 2002 - HALLOWEEN 9! Not Halloween BAD REMAKE v.1 of 2! lol. We were all strung along and getting jazzed for YEARS that HALLOWEEN 9 would happen - From conventions to message boards and everywhere in between - Even promises from Akkad himself was saying Halloween 9 would happen and was next on deck - now we found out in the wake of this remake that it will NEVER happen. With some closure to the old series perhaps a few more people (maybe even myself included) would have been more accepting of a poor remake if we didn't get burned on Halloween 9.

All that we as Halloween fans have left to look forward to of this franchise in the foreseeable future - is just with this dud remake-sequel that will drop in a few years - at best. Truly dissapointing.

Anyone else feel the same on this topic?

Severed
12-09-2007, 05:30 AM

That always bothered me. He did try using "It may have been in my Subconscious somewhere" as a lame excuse for using it.

BONES
12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
I love the original and always will ,this is just a new spin thats all

MichaelMyers04
12-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Anyone else feel the same on this topic?

I actually see what you mean. Although I'm in the minority, in that I didn't want the series to end with H20 (I want Michael's 'evilness' to live on, such as in H1 or H4), I still see why many would want a definite end to the series. I think your best bet is to just ignore HR, and stop the storyline with H20.

The producers scrapped the H4-H6 storyline in favour of H20, and they did the same thing with H20/HR. The possibility of them going back to finish those storylines is next to zero. It sucks, but the producers don't care.

However, I don't think that should take away from the enjoyment of the good movies in the series.

On another note, it's kind of funny how in the original series, I never wanted Michael to die, but in the new series, I'm hoping he dies soon (if he already didn't in RZH). Part of the reason is that I don't feel this Michael is really "The Shape". Like I've mentioned before, this movie only makes me like the original more (which I would have never thought would happen, but somehow this movie did it :D).

zombie commando
12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
No....if a decade of bad flicks didn't tarnish it nothing will....

Laurie2007
12-23-2007, 04:33 PM
nope it doesnt

Todd
12-23-2007, 05:24 PM
I actually see what you mean. Although I'm in the minority, in that I didn't want the series to end with H20 (I want Michael's 'evilness' to live on, such as in H1 or H4), I still see why many would want a definite end to the series. I think your best bet is to just ignore HR, and stop the storyline with H20.

The producers scrapped the H4-H6 storyline in favour of H20, and they did the same thing with H20/HR. The possibility of them going back to finish those storylines is next to zero. It sucks, but the producers don't care.

However, I don't think that should take away from the enjoyment of the good movies in the series.

On another note, it's kind of funny how in the original series, I never wanted Michael to die, but in the new series, I'm hoping he dies soon (if he already didn't in RZH). Part of the reason is that I don't feel this Michael is really "The Shape". Like I've mentioned before, this movie only makes me like the original more (which I would have never thought would happen, but somehow this movie did it :D).
That's pretty much how I feel about it.
H20 would have been the perfect way to end the original series before rebooting it. I just try to pretend that Ressurection never happened.
I also agree that this new Michael didn't feel like The Shape.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I also agree that this new Michael didn't feel like The Shape.
Outside of H1, The Shape does not exist. Bottom line. What we got in H2-H:R wasn't The Shape...and neither was Zombie's Myers. The Shape was completely lost after 1978, because no one's ever been able to sucessfully recreate what defined the character in H1. And in many cases, I'd have to suggest that they weren't even trying.

Anyway, does Zombie's Halloween affect my enjoyment of the original? How could it? No sequel or remake can affect my enjoyment of H1. It is what it is...and everything that came after is something else entirely. Some of it, I like...some of it, I loathe...everything else falls in between. But none of it touches the original, or changes my view of it. When I watch H1, I still don't consider Michael Myers and Laurie Strode to be blood relatives, if that tells you anything.

MyersHunter20
12-27-2007, 05:42 PM
nothing compares to the original. this was a good movie in its own right, but the original will always be a classic!!

ukfootball1979
01-05-2008, 08:10 AM
The new film does not effect my opinion on the original film. I like all the halloween movies, but in my timeline, the ones that I watch when I get a Halloween craving is H1..H2...then H2O...and then up to the part where Jamie Lee dies in HR. Then I shut of the dvd cuz the ret of that movie sux!!!

I love Rob Zombies Halloween. I went into the theater with a bias view for the first and came outr hating this new one. But then I bought the dvd and watched with an open mind. And now I am a big fan of it. I think he did a great job with it. Would love to see a sequil to it, but doubt that will ever happen. I feel that the series got butchered over the years. Zombies version was a breath of frersh air that I feel captured the spirit of the original.

qwerty90221
01-05-2008, 11:06 AM
RZ's Halloween does not affect my enjoyment of the original at all. The original will always be my favorite film. But I really enjoyed RZ's Halloween.

ALDO
01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Outside of H1, The Shape does not exist. Bottom line. What we got in H2-H:R wasn't The Shape...and neither was Zombie's Myers. The Shape was completely lost after 1978, because no one's ever been able to sucessfully recreate what defined the character in H1. And in many cases, I'd have to suggest that they weren't even trying.

Anyway, does Zombie's Halloween affect my enjoyment of the original? How could it? No sequel or remake can affect my enjoyment of H1. It is what it is...and everything that came after is something else entirely. Some of it, I like...some of it, I loathe...everything else falls in between. But none of it touches the original, or changes my view of it. When I watch H1, I still don't consider Michael Myers and Laurie Strode to be blood relatives, if that tells you anything.

Totally agree with you.

None of the sequels affected my enjoyment of the original and the re-make certainly hasn't either.

And you're right, The Shape only appeared in one movie. He hasn't been seen since.

capngravy
01-05-2008, 12:27 PM
No No and more No. I still love the original the same. They are both very good films in their own. And different enough that you can enjoy both seperate with out saying that this one makes this one look bad.
The only horror movie I can say that the remake makes it harder to enjoy the original is Psycho. Hey stop me whenI lie, that remake was god awful. They didn't even try to make it modern, or unique in its own way. It seems that they took the original film and just copied it straight through, yet some how the man in charged still managed to destroy it.

Vampire Queen
08-26-2011, 11:02 PM
No, it doesn't. It just makes me shake my head in disgust.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Well, that was worth resurrecting a thread that hadn't been used in three years.

A Dumb Question
08-27-2011, 06:26 PM
For all of the complaints that people don't use the search function...

No, the remake doesn't even come to mind when I watch the original.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-28-2011, 03:48 AM
For all of the complaints that people don't use the search function...

We're not talking about repeat threads here...we're talking about resurrecting a disused thread in order to make a statement that's barely even relevant, and would have been no less relevant in pretty much any thread on this forum. There are no shortage of active threads in which one can express the opinion, "The remake disgusts me." Was it really necessary to say it here instead? That's my point.

Steven Lloyd
08-28-2011, 10:51 AM
It's not actually plausible for one movie to affect one's enjoyment of another. That's probably just another half-baked excuse for an argument in regards to how crappy people find RZH. "Oh noes, the remake is sooo bad that it ruined the whole series FOREVER!" You see it a lot on the whinier corners of the Internet.

Roswell
08-28-2011, 11:00 AM
It's not actually plausible for one movie to affect one's enjoyment of another. That's probably just another half-baked excuse for an argument in regards to how crappy people find RZH. "Oh noes, the remake is sooo bad that it ruined the whole series FOREVER!" You see it a lot on the whinier corners of the Internet.

I agree. Even if I hated the remake, I'd still love the original. I think if the remake ruins your enjoyment of the original, you must be easily swayed.

blacksymbiote
08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Not at all. To me, they're two completely different films.

Michael Voorhees
08-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Absolutely not. I'm able to easily distinguish both as being two entirely different interpretations. They're not meant to be the same. I enjoy the original for what it brought: a psychotic supernatural killer to an innocent town to stalk a young girl, and the remake for putting a different spin on Myers' origin & starting to take him in a different direction. At the end of the day, I just respect both pieces of work.

80sJEM
12-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Absolutely not. I'm able to easily distinguish both as being two entirely different interpretations. They're not meant to be the same. I enjoy the original for what it brought: a psychotic supernatural killer to an innocent town to stalk a young girl, and the remake for putting a different spin on Myers' origin & starting to take him in a different direction. At the end of the day, I just respect both pieces of work.

Me too, agree wholeheartedly, except I like the remake solely for Laurie/Scout and Loomis and they're all I WATCH it for, even Loomis trying to counsel Michael. I'll still pick the original OVER the remake any day because I'm just THAT much in love with it, but the remake has its pieces too even though I don't like it as a whole.

Michael Voorhees
01-14-2013, 11:34 AM
I see what you mean, but I think I'm still a little biased after all these years, probably because Rob's remake was one of the first horror movies I actually wanted to sit down & watch (ironically, the original was another). It helped bring me into the horror genre.

Like you said, it's not better than the original, but it's good enough on it's own merits, & still stands above a hell of a lot of other remakes out there, which is saying a lot considering how many terrible remakes there are floating around.