PDA

View Full Version : Haven't Seen the Film?

xmiserysignalsx
10-10-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't want to be a buzzkill, as I know most people were extremely excited to have this film released, but I was curious if there was anyone out there who decided to not see this film? I just was satisfied with the original and don't need to see it remade again, and I've also just become weary of horror films and remakes and the direction most of them are going these days. I actually kind of like knowing that my only "picture" of Halloween is J.C., Donald Pleasance, and everything else in the film. Like I said, if you enjoyed the movie, that's awesome, I was just curious if anyone else out there has a similar setiment or plans on holding out on viewing the film (i'm guessing i'm in the 1% minority here, hah).

ThornMember83
10-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah I felt that way at first, I not a huge fan of these remakes I think they are getting carried away with it. But this movie was pretty good, I would check it out for the 1st half of the movie if anything.

Danny Strode
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
I wasn't sure at first myself, because I felt the same way. But I'm actually glad I went to see it. It was, in my opinion, a good film.

WhiteZombie
10-10-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't want to be a buzzkill, as I know most people were extremely excited to have this film released, but I was curious if there was anyone out there who decided to not see this film? I just was satisfied with the original and don't need to see it remade again, and I've also just become weary of horror films and remakes and the direction most of them are going these days. I actually kind of like knowing that my only "picture" of Halloween is J.C., Donald Pleasance, and everything else in the film. Like I said, if you enjoyed the movie, that's awesome, I was just curious if anyone else out there has a similar setiment or plans on holding out on viewing the film (i'm guessing i'm in the 1% minority here, hah).

No matter how high you hold the original, you should see it. Its not going to effect you, or ruin you. Im sure youve watched Ressurection, and that shit is dumb.

Harold Elrod
10-10-2007, 05:53 PM
(i'm guessing i'm in the 1% minority here, hah).

I guess I'm in that minority, but I will definitely give it a rent.

DeanCorso
10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Well you're not alone i guess im in the 1%..I decided to not see the film in Theater but just recently i see the workprint from someone that i had it...i said what the heck i'll save $5 of DVD rental, it wasnt has bad i believe it were going to be, i like a few things about the movies but overall for me Rob Zombie's Halloween falls in the NOT a good movie/remake....what made Michael Myers such a interesting Mysterious scary character in the Original is completely lost in the remake, this movie is not scary/suspenseful...some of the dialogues were laughable, you see this movie and afterwards you pretty much forget about it. Dont waist $10...wait on DVD.

Psych0ticNemes1s
10-11-2007, 04:48 AM
Well you're not alone i guess im in the 1%..I decided to not see the film in Theater but just recently i see the workprint from someone that i had it...i said what the heck i'll save $5 of DVD rental, it wasnt has bad i believe it were going to be, i like a few things about the movies but overall for me Rob Zombie's Halloween falls in the NOT a good movie/remake....what made Michael Myers such a interesting Mysterious scary character in the Original is completely lost in the remake, this movie is not scary/suspenseful...some of the dialogues were laughable, you see this movie and afterwards you pretty much forget about it. Dont waist $10...wait on DVD.

I sure wish I didn't waste my money.

punkrocklove
10-11-2007, 06:44 AM
When the news first came out I refused to have ANYTHING to do with this movie.
Then slowly rumours and facts starting coming up, along with pictures and clips and I thought. What the hell? This looks good.

renee30152
10-11-2007, 07:32 AM
No matter how high you hold the original, you should see it. Its not going to effect you, or ruin you. Im sure youve watched Ressurection, and that shit is dumb.

I agree.
I saw it was and was very happy. Other then a few small things it is quite good. Have already preordered.

Kinick
10-11-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm still assuming the DVD release date of December 18th is false, as I believe the source it originated form was that fake Weinstein blog. Also Amazon have now removed the date for pre-ordering as well.

renee30152
10-11-2007, 07:47 AM
It is on the front page of the message board and someone said it was from Rob Zombie himself.

Kinick
10-11-2007, 07:49 AM
The front page of this message board is from the fake Weinstein blog which is now deleted, and I haven't heard anything about Zombie stating this?

LordBoogeyman
10-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Anyone who's a fan enough to post here but wouldn't doll out the few bucks to go see this thing in theaters, if for nothing else than to support the franchise and keep interest strong, is really pathetic. Whether or not you supported Rob Zombie or his movie, if you're a fan of the series and you come here regularly then I don't see how you justified waiting this one out, as though it were somehow beneath you. To further that by seeing it anyway by illegally downloading the workprint (or any bootleg) ... that's just incredible. I've paid to see the movie three times in theaters and brought a guest each time, so excuse me if I feel justified in checking out the workprint or maybe skipping the DVD (not that I will). As a filmmaker, it's really sad to see that even a hardcore fanbase would rather pirate a movie as opposed to supporting it financially in its theatrical run.

PG Soul
10-19-2007, 01:22 PM
I've not seen it but I will be forking out for the 4 disc edition of Halloween tommorow at HMV.

Don't know about the Rob Zombie movie though, once it hits the bargain basket I might shell out a few coins for it, but no more no less.

Khan
10-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Anyone who's a fan enough to post here but wouldn't doll out the few bucks to go see this thing in theaters, if for nothing else than to support the franchise and keep interest strong, is really pathetic. Whether or not you supported Rob Zombie or his movie, if you're a fan of the series and you come here regularly then I don't see how you justified waiting this one out, as though it were somehow beneath you. To further that by seeing it anyway by illegally downloading the workprint (or any bootleg) ... that's just incredible. I've paid to see the movie three times in theaters and brought a guest each time, so excuse me if I feel justified in checking out the workprint or maybe skipping the DVD (not that I will). As a filmmaker, it's really sad to see that even a hardcore fanbase would rather pirate a movie as opposed to supporting it financially in its theatrical run.

Some people just aren't bouncing off the walls to see another pointless remake of a classic horror film.

LordBoogeyman
10-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Some people just aren't bouncing off the walls to see another pointless remake of a classic horror film.

But that doesn't mean they should download it instead. Piracy really is killing the industry.

Khan
10-19-2007, 05:43 PM
So if there was no piracy, how would the remake have done considering the poor promotion and release date?

LordBoogeyman
10-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, if there was no piracy then attendance would only stand to go up, however minimally. Correct? Poor marketing and release date aside, I've run into way too many people who've seen this movie already only they didn't pay a dime for it and most of them didn't even leave their computer screens. I don't understand, are you arguing that piracy isn't an issue here or that it's somehow defensible? "I didn't go to see Rob Zombie's Halloween. I don't support it. I downloaded it instead and now will continue to post about it." That's the sort of thing I'm arguing against. Or that someone could assert that they love this series or do support it and come here to post about it, but somehow didn't feel up to going to see the new movie. You'll see, then they complain "Why do movies like The Grudge 2 keep getting released?" Because apparently the fanbase of a real R rated horror movie is too bitter and jaded to either a) pay for it or b) leave their house, so I guess the teen girls will fill the void in horror cinema for us and dictate what continues to be released.

PG Soul
10-21-2007, 12:55 AM
I think it has done well at the box office considering it's a remake. That's a good result for the franchise, but ultimately a movie like this is made for the DVD market. they will shift some major units when it comes out for home market consumption, cha ching cha ching the cash register rings!

InfiniteFury
10-21-2007, 03:53 AM
I decided to give it a chance after much deliberation...and I was disappointed. Good thing I didn't raise any hope or my disappointment would've been worse. It's sad to think there are so many good actors in this version and none of them gave a decent performance. Bad acting, no sympathy for the "victims", and had this project been done by someone with a better approach, it could've been good.

Todd
10-21-2007, 07:17 AM
So if there was no piracy, how would the remake have done considering the poor promotion and release date?
Is there a good way to know the answer to that?
We don't know exactly how many people have seen a pirated version of Halloween instead of going to the theater, and we have no way to estimate how many of them would have gone if not for being able to get a bootlegged copy. I'll admit to seeing the workprint, but I also saw the movie in the theater three times, bought the soundtrack, tee shirt, poster, etc,. In other words, the studio got my money. If there was a way I could have paid Dimension to see the wp, I would have done that as well.
As far as the promotion and release date go, the pre-release advertising of the movie was fine. It was the way they dropped the ball after such a big opening that might have cost them. The release date, I don't know about.
It was able to open against weak opposition, which always helps, but there could be an argument that if it had been released in late September or early October, there might have been more interest. I don't know how much water that theory holds, though.

Khan
10-21-2007, 08:06 AM
It was able to open against weak opposition, which always helps,

Opening against Balls Of Fury certianly helped them out.

but there could be an argument that if it had been released in late September or early October, there might have been more interest.

The interest would have been there if it was released in October, but also more competition.

xmiserysignalsx
10-22-2007, 10:20 PM

woah. first off, i never mentioned anything about piracy or downloading. second off, if you read the initial post i made, i said that i was not "above" seeing it, but rather just tired of the same formulas all the franchises are going towards. the thread was here to see if anyone else felt the same way, it wasn't to bash people for liking it. i'm glad so many people enjoyed it. and viewing or not viewing the movie should have nothing to do with how "devoted" a fan someone is. not to be conceited but i've been here a lot longer than many people here, and i still come by every now and then 'cause i still enjoy the films. to each his own, yo.

slasher
10-26-2007, 10:51 AM
When I first saw it I didnt go to the theater and expect it to be better then the Original. And it wasnt in my book. But it wasnt bad either. I did like some parts of it and other parts I didnt but it was good. I just consider it another film in the series which is much better then most of them were. I'm glad it did well in the box office because all it is is another feather in the cap of Michaels crown and legacy. I'm sure it will do just as well when it hits dvd.

Dark Empire
11-13-2007, 04:37 PM
EMERGENCY********
Just got back from Europe and I still haven't seen the film. Is it out at blockbuster? Anyone know??

Khan
11-13-2007, 04:42 PM
It might be at the discount theater (33 of them) if you are lucky.

The DVD comes out in December.

Dark Empire
11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks bro.
Fucking live in New York City and I can't find it anywhere. Bullshit.

Khan
11-13-2007, 05:01 PM
No problem.

Movies have pretty short theater lives these days, essentially commercials for the DVD.

bangtango
11-13-2007, 05:53 PM
When I first saw it I didnt go to the theater and expect it to be better then the Original. And it wasnt in my book. But it wasnt bad either. I did like some parts of it and other parts I didnt but it was good. I just consider it another film in the series which is much better then most of them were. I'm glad it did well in the box office because all it is is another feather in the cap of Michaels crown and legacy. I'm sure it will do just as well when it hits dvd.

Good points. I'll add another thought.

I don't know what the exact number is but anytime a movie like this is remade, at least a few people who had never seen the original version of that same movie go out and watch it as a result.

I know quite a few people who'd never seen George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead until after they saw the 2004 remake and wanted to go back to see what the first one was like.

I still know people who have never seen any of the Halloweens (including the first) or have only seen a couple of the sequels (without having watched the first one). So it isn't like "everybody" has seen it. I would imagine some of the kids going to see this had never gotten around to seeing the original.