PDA

View Full Version : Safe "Teddy Bear Michael of H1" or Brutal "Charles Manson Michael of RZH"

MischievousSpirit
09-09-2007, 10:47 AM
This just occured to me while I was in the shower, so please bear with me. A lot of people are complaining on how "brutal" or how "gory" and violent this new Michael Myers is. They keep going back to H1 saying he should be like that Michael. Now, here's the delema. Is Michael really all that scary anymore in H1? No. He seems more like a cuddly security blanket or Teddy bear.

In RZH, he's brutal, scary, and realistic in a psychotic Charles Manson kind of way that makes the audience uncomfortable and squeemish, and it made people walk out of the theater. Isn't this the way we really wanted Myers to become again? I think so. The thing is, this ain't your Grandpa's Michael Myers. He's not some safe cuddly teddy bear we can find security in watching on DVD comfortable in our homes.

This Michael Myers is the most realistic Myers I've ever seen, and I applaud Rob Zombie for what he's done here. Dispite it's flaws, Rob Zombie has made Michael scary again, as he promised. Way to go Rob!

Do you want Cuddly Teddy Myers, or Charles Manson Psychotic Myers?

Who's with me?!

Myers Insurance
09-09-2007, 10:48 AM
How exactly is Michael in H1 a teddy bear? I've never had a teddy bear that's wanted to kill me wearing a William Shatner mask before.

Roswell
09-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I still find Michael kind of frightening in H1, but man, this new Halloween's Michael is pretty scary.

I dunno. I kind of like Michael as a sort of presence rather than the psychopath you see in Rob Zombie's film. Both are pretty frightening in their own ways, though.

Todd
09-09-2007, 11:00 AM
The original Michael was a killer, pure and simple.
No one was immune, especially not his sister.
This new Michael was as brutal as we've seen him, but he is the one who displayed a teddy bearish quality in the sense that he didn't want to kill his little sis at first. The scene where he took off his mask, got on his knees, and had his head down was probably the weakest we've ever seen him.

TheShape411
09-09-2007, 11:03 AM
To me it's more like...

Supernatural, no explanation, has an awesome aura, determined and focused, pure evil original Mikey

to

Cliched and been here and done that, typical abused child to serial killer, confused and has feelings Mikey.

Still love the original, just had something about him that truly made him scary...like I said, I think it was the supernatural aura he had and the fact that he was "pure evil".

The Kilted One
09-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Exactly... The Shape only allowed one person to slip from his grasp: Laurie. All the other victims in the original were doomed as soon as The Shape first layed hands on them. RZ's Michael struggles with his victims just like a normal (be it brutal) person. RZ's Michael left survivors. RZ's Michael still had feelings and, therefor, could still be reasoned with.

I'd rather tangle with a brutal psychopath than a freakin' demon!

myers5fan
09-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I like the Michael of the original. He was pure emotionless evil. RZ's Michael still had a conscience. you saw that when he took Laurie to the house and gave her the picture.

freethy
09-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think Michael was supernatural in the original halloween at all. For all we know he could have crawled away and died in a ditch after falling from that balcony. That was the thing about the ending of halloween, it gave you a sense of mystery. Kind of a "Did that just happen?" kinda thing. Leaves it wide open for speculation and him being supernatural is just a cop out. Cheapens it for me anyway.

I kind of like Michael as a sort of presence rather than the psychopath you see in Rob Zombie's film.

I know exactly what you mean and completely agree

This just occured to me while I was in the shower, so please bear with me. A lot of people are complaining on how "brutal" or how "gory" and violent this new Michael Myers is. They keep going back to H1 saying he should be like that Michael. Now, here's the delema. Is Michael really all that scary anymore in H1? No. He seems more like a cuddly security blanket or Teddy bear.
?!

You crazy bastard...lol Original Michael is still the most creepy and most effective Shape ever. The standard was set never to be achieved again.

The Dark Shape
09-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm more afraid of the evil one who won't die than the sissy who just wants a hug. Maybe it's just me. Since we're generalizing, maybe the title should be changed to "Scary 'Pure Evil' Michael of H1, or Little Girl 'Boo, why don't you love me?' Michael of RZH?"

The Kilted One
09-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Yep, some might say that Michael went from Evil to EMO. :bastard:

MichaelJrdnMyrs
09-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I think calling the original MM a "teddy bear" is way off.

Then again I do love to hear grown men feverishly explain why the boogeyman is much more frightening to them.

MyersFan927
09-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm more afraid of the evil one who won't die than the sissy who just wants a hug. Maybe it's just me. Since we're generalizing, maybe the title should be changed to "Scary 'Pure Evil' Michael of H1, or Little Girl 'Boo, why don't you love me?' Michael of RZH?"

LMAO damn straight! I think that way is more fitting.

Michael was in no way a safe cuddly teddy bear in the original...even by exaggeration. I find nothing frightening about the in-your-face crazy bastard with Leatherface-like tendencies in RZ's Halloween. I prefer the ambiguous stalker/jokester/unstoppable/inhuman machine who hides in the shadows and has no backstory. The H1 Michael would pop out of nowhere and methodically fuck with his victims. The heavy breathing...the staring...that's scary. Not the fast-moving and violent hulk in the remake. Now, I really do like the remake, but the original Michael leaves more to the imagination and is not conventional.

EDIT:

JC's MM is one who you'd be scared of even in fantasy, because he's the genuine unexplainable stuff that nightmares are made off.

The original all the way. Violence is no substitute for the menace that gets under your skin and into your head.

Agreed. :yeah:

renee30152
09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
How exactly is Michael in H1 a teddy bear? I've never had a teddy bear that's wanted to kill me wearing a William Shatner mask before.

lol Unless you count Cuddles from the Mad TV Parody, but alas no.
I see both versions as scary. While Zombie's is in your face, violent scary, JC's is in the dark and shadows, stalking scary. Both versions are good and scary. :nodsmile:

Todd
09-09-2007, 12:48 PM
He wanted a hug from his sister.
You, he would have killed for the fun of it.
Don't forget what he did to Ismael, the nicest attendant at Smiths Grove.

The Dark Shape
09-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah, he committed one of the funniest murders I've ever seen. "I was good to you, Mikey!!"

Todd
09-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, he committed one of the funniest murders I've ever seen. "I was good to you, Mikey!!"
Yeah, truly hillarious.

Worthystevens
09-09-2007, 01:18 PM
H1 Michael was scary because he could've been anywhere, anytime and you wouldn't know it. All he would do is lurk within the shadows, watching you, silently and patiently waiting for the kill. No rhyme or reason. Laurie said it best: He WAS the boogeyman.

RZ's Michael was scary because he was more realistic. Completely apathetic and without remorse, he's on the loose and he's willing to kill anyone who's in his way.

TheShape411
09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Michael in RZ's Halloween was somewhat realistic but somewhat not.

I mean he did get stabbed in the neck with a knife and shot what was it, 3 times and still kept coming. That was sooo much like old school Mike...went against the grain of the MM we had seen up until that point.

Worthystevens
09-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Michael in RZ's Halloween was somewhat realistic but somewhat not.

I mean he did get stabbed in the neck with a knife and shot what was it, 3 times and still kept coming. That was sooo much like old school Mike...went against the grain of the MM we had seen up until that point.

Agreed.

mmyers78
09-09-2007, 02:01 PM
imo RZ's michael is scary in the sense that he's very brutal and and in our face, while JC's michael has more of like a ghostly presence where he could be anywhere at any given time, and with that fact i think that JC's michael is scarier

4BarrelHemi
09-09-2007, 02:26 PM
JC's Michael is far scarier he was stealthy and patient. You never knew where he was until he was on you then it was to late. He didn't leave anyone alive when they got in his way. Also even at the end of the movie you still have no idea where he is and left with this thought he could be anywhere.

The RZ MM just wasn't scary to me at all he left people alive he takes his sister and then just kneels down like ok ???

Patrick1679
09-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Halloween 1 Michael was definitely more scarier.

Just because someone's a "brute" doesn't mean they're more scarier. Don't get me wrong RZ''s Michael was scary but I don't think he was as scary as the original Michael. He had no emotion in the original.

Gosh, I don't think Jason was more scarier than Michael was and Jason was a brute!

DarthMyers
09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Possibly the most way off-base thread title ever.

RZ's MM is exactly the sort of killer you'd be scared of meeting in real life.

JC's MM is one who you'd be scared of even in fantasy, because he's the genuine unexplainable stuff that nightmares are made off.

The original all the way. Violence is no substitute for the menace that gets under your skin and into your head.

100% agree.

mcilroga
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Is this title for real?

The original for me.

ghettomyers
09-09-2007, 07:57 PM
RZ's for me i was not around when the oringinal came out so i grew up in the scream era when we already past the silent stakling phase so ima have to go wit RZ's cause dat big mutha sucka scared me! RZ's!!!

scoob
09-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Myers from 1 and 2 for me. Whilst I was a kid, 6 or 7 at the time, I can still get the odd nightmare where Im running away from Myers but no matter how fast I run or where I go, he always turns up. End up more or less giving up in the end because you just feel in the dream you cant beat this guy. I wish someone, one day, could put into a movie how I feel heh heh. Would be an awesome film.

I dont get that dread or fear from this version but then maybe Im being too harsh on it. Childhood is a weird thing.

Pug-a-Licious
09-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Uhh I grew up being scared of JC's...RZ's is still new...they both scare the hell out of me, but I'll go with JC's because his has scared me the longest :)

dbzguy
09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I think MM in the original Halloween was scarier for sure....

scoob
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Aye, definitly.
And for those that have just seen their first horror film and this being IT, then im sure they will be scared to hell.
I think Myers in this version is very good, if I was a kid and watched it I would probably be having nightmares about Tyler Mane instead.
And that I guess is the bottom line. Its about introducing a new audience.

Villain612
09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I think overall, JC's Myers is scarier and much more mysterious. I think his scariness is a credit to the overall film itself (the music, the cinematography, what Doctor Loomis says about him). JC's Myers is scary because of everything around him - so much so that I can't separate the film and the character.

Meanwhile, RZ's Myers is a fully realized individual who could stand alone outside of Halloween with a different name and still have the same effect.

*wanted*
09-30-2007, 03:08 PM
its true i always seen him as cute and the cuddely type but that waht i liked about him the fact i could run from him...while he just walkd behind me haha

the rob zombie micheal is the oposate....at the start of the filrm when he was walking in the chains he seems alot more like a monster....

WhiteZombie
09-30-2007, 06:58 PM
its true i always seen him as cute and the cuddely type but that waht i liked about him the fact i could run from him...while he just walkd behind me haha

the rob zombie micheal is the oposate....at the start of the filrm when he was walking in the chains he seems alot more like a monster....

How was the original "Cute" and "Cuddly". He killed shit, thats what he did. I couldent answer this, I love both. The Phantom Shape original Michael, and The Psychopath Zombie's Michael.