PDA

View Full Version : The "How Was The Music?" Thread

Roswell
09-02-2007, 12:48 PM
So did you enjoy the music (both the score and the actual songs that were used throughout the film) in this film?

Ravenheart
09-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I enjoyed them.I'm looking forward to getting the soundtrack.

Worthystevens
09-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I enjoyed them too. Though some of the music didn't really mix in with their respective scenes well.

101ant101
09-02-2007, 12:51 PM
i liked it the way he mixed both in to one

Roswell
09-02-2007, 12:52 PM
I really thought Tyler Bates did a great job with the score. He used all the classic themes and made them sound a lot like the original with hints of his own style thrown into the mix.

As for the songs that were used, I liked them alot as well.

horrornut
09-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I didn't have any problem with the score.

mmyers78
09-02-2007, 01:12 PM
i enjoyed both the score, and the songs that were in there as well

HannibalBEATNGU
09-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I liked the new version of Mr. Sandman, the generic rock song at the beginning didn't do much for me, it was nice to Don't Fear the Reaper...

The score sounded too much The Devil's Rejects, I like the classic themes, wasn't very impressed with new stuff though.

Overall I'd say the music was ok.

FooFighters
09-02-2007, 03:30 PM
The music was great, very loud. But I think that Rob shouldn't of played it so early in the movie.

-Love Hurts was really dumb, and now I realize I should of voted OK.

The real Shape
09-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I thought the Love Hurts was a very awkward song to do a strip tease

ten31
09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
The score was fine. The song choices were pretty damn bad. Love Hurts???? Rush?????

My only complaint is that the placement of the Halloween themes seemed to be off. Especially the first time we hear the main theme.

MyersFan927
09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I didn't feel a difference between the 1978 and 2007 main scores. I'm sure it's somewhat tweaked.

Love Hurts was kind of out of place for this movie. I wish they hadn't done it. Mr. Sandman is...weird. In the context of the movie, is it played on the radio or something?

All in all, it was okay. Nothing stood out about the music, for me.

Khan
09-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Tyler Bates did a great job!

I wasn't too keen on Love Hurts being used though.

Icebreaker_8605
09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
For one, I did like how the score is very, very alike to the 1978 film. It sounds like the exact original score was taken and given additional sounds to give it the 2007 Halloween theme (I think someone told me that, not sure how true it is). I enjoyed the other songs in the film. Glad they used BOC's "Reaper". I didn't feel "love hurts" was out of place for the film....hmmmm perhaps I should give that some thought and look at that scene again. The soundtrack, to me, both the theme and the songs used is good and gets that vote from me.

MichaelMyers04
09-02-2007, 06:54 PM
I though the actual score was very good. I was really happy to hear the themes, in an updated kind of manner. The first time the HalloweeN theme played, I got chills all over me; it was awesome!

Pug-a-Licious
09-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Loved the music, the score and the songs...can't wait to buy the soundtrack :D

MischievousSpirit
09-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I thought the music was decent. I just wish they didn't have to throw Don't Fear The Reaper at us twice the way they did. When Lynda was listening to her music, it should've been "Romeo Romeo" from H5! :bastard:

Laow-Z
09-02-2007, 07:59 PM
The score was fine. The song choices were pretty damn bad. Love Hurts???? Rush?????

Rush was supposed to be playing on the radio in Big Joe's truck when he pulled up to the rest stop. I thought it fit well. I don't think Tom Sawyer was supposed to discribe any mood in that scene, just a good song that you would still hear on the radio today.

SSteward
09-02-2007, 08:36 PM
thought it was great, thought the tune that played when Michael was getting Judith sounded a little more "techno" or something than in the original, and I didn't like it as much. I thought the music overall was great.

Shamrock Silver
09-03-2007, 05:33 AM
LOVED IT ALL - the score and the songs.
"Generic" song at the beginning? Come on, that was KISS' "God of Thunder."
I thought it got the film off to a cool pace. In the theater when I saw it, I saw a few fists go up in the air. (Although, "Monster Mash" would have still been cool had they gone with that.)

I've seen people complain about the Rush song...I agree, that's just something that could have been on the radio in any trucker's rig at any time. I was fine with it.

The first time the Halloween theme was used - brilliant. I totally wasn't expecting it. I thought it worked so well. You heard it and you could just feel the energy in the theater - it was like "here we go...."

horrorcore
09-03-2007, 11:04 AM
i thought the music was fine.rz even snuck some misfits in there!

Thurisaz
09-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I liked the new version of Mr. Sandman, the generic rock song at the beginning didn't do much for me,

Now, I'm not a fan of them myself, but Kiss is pretty far from generic.

Myers-89
09-03-2007, 11:17 AM
This movie had one of the best soundtracks that I've heard in a while. You've got Blue Oyster Cult, KISS, Peter Frampton, Rush, Alice Cooper, what more could you want? I really felt that "Love Hurts" by Nazareth eerily worked.

njdevs03champs
09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
The only song I didnt like was from Rush but otherwise, it was pretty good. Better then H:5 VH1 Best of the 80's music.

WhiteZombie
09-03-2007, 07:32 PM
The music was amazing, a nice blend of classic Halloween music + new Halloween music. Also, hear BOC was nice.

njdevs03champs
09-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Always liked "Dont Fear the Reaper" for Halloween.

MaskCollector
09-04-2007, 03:43 PM
The songs rocked, but I dunno about the score. After hearing the bates theme four times I got tired of it (not in the movie). Even though I still think RZ should have kept it in to match the movie instead of using the original. I really liked the shape stalks song though.

RazorBlade101
09-04-2007, 03:45 PM
There was nothing wrong with the music really ...

I almost bought the soundtrack ... But I bought something else instead cause I'm not too into that kind of music.

XBlackxShadeX
09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Luv it. They couldnt have been put in the most best spots.

Did that make sense? lolz!

Sock
09-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Thought the score was great. Went out and bought the soundtrack a few days before the movie was released and at first I thought it was alright. Once I saw the film though, it was just wow, I mean the scenes just came to life in my head when I listened to the cd afterwards. So happy I bought it now, one of the best purchasing decisions i've made in a while.

I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.

mr32
09-04-2007, 09:59 PM
It was fucking great,Tyler Bates nail it right on the head.

MMyers89
09-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Loved everything but that Love Hurts scene was pretty corny, haha.

The actual score part was the best in a looooong time.

Severed
09-05-2007, 05:00 AM

Everytime I hear that song now, all I can think of is:

"I got the fever....and the only prescription.....is more cowbell!"

I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Damn it, someone beat me to it. :evil:

Psych0ticNemes1s
09-05-2007, 05:08 AM
I think the music was well done but not great. Over time my opinion may change slightly but I thought the music achieved its purpose. It had an original feel with a modern twist.

ragethorn
09-05-2007, 05:17 AM
The score is great.
The OST is ok.

Silverpsycho
09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
The soundtrack and score were fantastic. It took me a little while to love certain pieces of the score but overall it worked and I am so happy with the soundtrack. When I bought my copy before the film hit theatres, I was one happy camper. :yeah:

horrorfreak123
09-06-2007, 07:57 PM
great,,,only thing I would've changed is piping it up a notch when Laurie's on her way to finding annie..

renee30152
09-08-2007, 11:01 AM
I LOVED the music and thought it was awesome. Even went out and bought the soundtrack.
Has anyone heard of a release date for the score cd?

HannibalBEATNGU
09-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Now, I'm not a fan of them myself, but Kiss is pretty far from generic.

I wasn't aware that it was KISS, but I felt the brief segment of the song that played in the movie sounded generic.
It sounded like every other song I hear whenever I listen to a hard rock station.

Casper
09-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I thought it was amazing....Im trying to get the score...

Myers-89
09-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I wasn't aware that it was KISS, but I felt the brief segment of the song that played in the movie sounded generic.
It sounded like every other song I hear whenever I listen to a hard rock station.

Come on dude, "God of Thunder" is classic KISS. :rock:

scarymoviechap
09-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Loved it. Thought the score was one of the best since H1, H2, H4. The soundtrack was excellent and used at the right moments at the right times. Maybe a musician as director is to blame, but I really dug the music in the film. It's one of my favorite things about the remake. Only thing, I thought hearing BOC during a sex scene/Michael kill TWICE was so annoyingly repetitive.

Flash Over
09-08-2007, 05:53 PM

Which explains why alot of my KISS fan friends never heard of it until now:bastard:

Myers-89
09-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Only thing, I thought hearing BOC during a sex scene/Michael kill TWICE was so annoyingly repetitive.

I've got to agree with you there. Once was enough.

The Dark Shape
09-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I thought the score was a bit generic, myself. The Halloween theme sounds re-tracked from the original, and the Shape Stalks is largely the same save for a few extra beats in the background. I can't remember a single new thing Tyler Bates added and I've seen the film three times, so I don't consider that a good thing.

Right now, I'd say it's middle-of-the-road. Behind H1, H4, and H20 in to my ears.

HannibalBEATNGU
09-10-2007, 03:08 PM

I didn't think that the song sounded bad, just not especially unique.

Worthystevens
09-10-2007, 06:59 PM
As much as I love the original score, I wish the first Laurie-Michael chase scene would have had the score used in the workprint. It fit much better.

wyatt s
09-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I really loved the music in the movie. The new material really meshed well with the original music.

renee30152
09-11-2007, 07:11 AM
I agree. The Mr. Sandman and the new Halloween song was creepy. I LOVED it!

MadmanInsane07
09-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Those songs that you heard on this soundtrack where used cause those were huge back in the late 70's.They were on radio's playlists from all over the country. It was the music that was in at the time.

I am a big fan of these bands and classic rock, so I was happy to hear them throughout the film.

It made sense to use them in the film, it suited the times this film takes place in.

I loved the opening scene in the movie with Kiss' God of Thunder. Bad ass song, and the movie kicks ass right from the beginning. I know Rob Zombie is a huge fan of classic rock , since it was what influenced his musical career, and what he grew up on. Long live good rock n roll. I loved it. The 70's kicked ass.

Deckard
09-11-2007, 01:10 PM
As much as I love the original score, I wish the first Laurie-Michael chase scene would have had the score used in the workprint. It fit much better.

Oh no...one of the two things I found wrong with the workprint (the other being the placing of Lynda and Bob's death, which fit much better in context in the theatrical) was that the score was different. We get plenty of horror movies with that generic "scary" music...the 'Halloween' classic themes are what sets these films (even the bad ones) from all the other slasher films. The score used in the theatrical was so much better. I loved the traditional music in the chase, I just wish he'd kept the extra "running" footage. Oh, and did anyone else think the showing of Michael getting closer and closer just worked so well. Thoughts?

Shane
09-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I really enjoyed the score.

Dr_Loomis02
09-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh no...one of the two things I found wrong with the workprint (the other being the placing of Lynda and Bob's death, which fit much better in context in the theatrical) was that the score was different. We get plenty of horror movies with that generic "scary" music...the 'Halloween' classic themes are what sets these films (even the bad ones) from all the other slasher films. The score used in the theatrical was so much better. I loved the traditional music in the chase, I just wish he'd kept the extra "running" footage. Oh, and did anyone else think the showing of Michael getting closer and closer just worked so well. Thoughts?

Totally agree. Yeah, that worked really well and added suspense. I hope we get a full score released to enjoy.

Will Jones
09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
I thought the Love Hurts was a very awkward song to do a strip tease

Agreed. Good song as it is, but it didn't seem to fit in that scene at all.

As for the opening, I agree witht he asessment that the new theme should've been played at the beginning rather than God Of Thunder. The rest of the music throughout was great, the Tom Sawyer opening the Truck Stop scene really fit, being a former trucker myself, I've caught that little number playing a few times in various stops myself.

renee30152
09-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know if the score will be released?

Patrick1679
09-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I think the score is supposed to get released soon.

Anyway, when I picked the soundtrack I didn't like the new Halloween theme. It was too "busy" and fast. But when I watched the movie Rob pretty much the original theme and Laurie's theme in there. I thought it was great. I wasn't expecting that. It was the best sounding Halloween theme since H2.

For example, when young Michael runs out of the school and they show the bully.:bow:

Sounded close to the original to me! Plus I think Rob did well with the classic rock songs. He placed them pretty well. I didn't mine where "Love hurts" was placed.

But the opening..."God of Thunder" :bow: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

The Kilted One
09-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I said the music was ok, because while it sounded good, it wasn't very original... pretty much just Carpenter's score rerecorded. I love Carpenter's score, but originality is, strangely enough, especially important with remakes (so as to avoid just reshooting the exact same film... Zombie didn't do that, but he did use a lot of the same music).

Patrick1679
09-15-2007, 11:58 AM
That's what I like about it. I'm glad Zombie used alot of the original score. I don't look at it as not being original. I look at the whole remake as a new film and a "tip of the hat" to the original. This is why I enjoyed it alot!

Does it compare to the original? Of course not. It's not suppose to. It stands on it's own with all the classic elements that we liked from the original.

Why do we like the original so much? I'm sure there's many things. But I wanted to see more Michael Myers again. Not a caricature. Like in all the sequels, except for H2.

He was scary in this one. Rob wanted to make Michael scary again and not necessarily the movie. That's probably why we see him alot more. I don't care about the other characters. Right now I want to see a revamped Michael that was similar to H1 but more intense and intimidating. If I want to see a terrifying movie i'll watch H1 again. It's not going anywhere.

I was glad I was able to enjoy the character of Michael Myers again. This is the first time I did since I saw H2 in the movie theatre in 1981.:spooky:

So to me this movie is like a tribute to the original. So having the original score in was quite...AWESOME!:rock:

plokoon11
09-16-2007, 05:03 PM
The music was fine, but they hardly used the scare/ surprise sounds, like in the movie, Micheal would pop up in front of the camara, they could of used the surprise sounds like they did in the old one.

myers92
09-16-2007, 06:19 PM
I thought that the music helped create a bigger sensory experience.After the movie I had God of Thunder stuck in my head for 2 days!!!

MrShape666
09-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Hosestly, I don't like song collection soundtracks vary much. I'd have rather seen a complete score from Banks and less songs. Bank's take on the Carpenter themes was pretty awesome. I would have liked to have heard more from him. While I like some of the songs on the CD, a lot of them I don't (not a big Rush fan).

Hallow's Eve
09-20-2007, 07:14 AM
I thought it was an interesting and original take on the classic themes, especially his version of "Shape Stalks". Very cool and dark. I liked it!

NickSacco
09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
i loved how they threw in sandman

MrShape666
09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I thought it was an interesting and original take on the classic themes, especially his version of "Shape Stalks". Very cool and dark. I liked it!

Exactly. Bates shouldhave done more music for the film. I'm not crazy about song collection soundtracks. I wanted a full original score to listen to.

Ravenheart
09-22-2007, 05:35 PM
My copy of the soundtrack came the other day and I listened to it earlier.It wasn't bad but I would have preferred a complete Banks score CD.I noticed some of the music on the CD sounded strange on my disk man,almost like it was echoing.I don't know if there was something wrong with the disk man or it thats how some of the music was supposed to sound.Haven't had a chance to try it on something else yet.

myersRUNNER2
09-23-2007, 10:06 AM
"The Shape Stalks Laurie" is my favorite in this movie, I loved the way it was changed, and it fit well with when young Michael was killing Judith.

Reborn Angel
09-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I dont know how the music is in the T-cut but i fell in love with it in the Workprint... BTW anyone knows when the Tcut will arave in the Netherlands?

punkrocklove
09-25-2007, 06:09 AM
Love Hurts is an amazing song.

kooshdidude
10-01-2007, 02:20 PM
I loved it! when the Halloween theme first started playing i was like.. wow lol! :D

Casper
10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Is there going to be a score to this?

TheShape1981
10-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Does anyone know what the song was that was playing when Annie picked up Laurie at her house? I can't place it for the life of me.

you
10-05-2007, 08:44 PM
I thought the music was kick ass.

ThornMember83
10-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I liked the score and the songs that were played threw out the flim. I thought that the love hurts song was well played. The showed the mother striping while her child is shown alone on halloween all EMO and stuff, I thought it tied in well.

metallicabowler
10-07-2007, 12:26 PM
The themes were very good, very well placed. The songs were good songs but iffy placement, like Nazareth and "Love Hurts." I stated in another thread that that song is too cheesy and the message in the song is lost in the cheese. Rush is awesome and I love that song, BOC had to make an appearance, and...I'm such a geek for loving this but...Lynda was wearing a SLAYER shirt coming out of school. HUGE smile across my face when I saw that but sadly...no Slayer in the movie.

scoob
10-07-2007, 04:17 PM
I think the songs that were used were decent enough, I dont even mind the Love Hurts track although I can see why some find it a little out of place.
Perhaps a darker instrumental theme would have fitted in better.

Sorry if that has been asked, but when is the Banks soundtrack released? Hopefully just before Halloween, that would be great.

Myers Insurance
10-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Some of the themes didn't fit in well with where they were played, but the themes were still nice.

Khan
10-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Love Hurts! :bastard:

Unknown-Horror
11-12-2007, 01:32 PM
the music was great, but I think they need a score. Theres a score for all of the other movies I dont think its fair for the people that want to hear a score.

HEcamehome
11-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Music was rockin'. So cool to hear John Carpenter's original theme booming through the speakers at the beginning of the movie.

Khan
11-14-2007, 07:12 AM
I have changed my rating to "good" now.

Love Hurts was awful.

Dr Hoffman
11-14-2007, 01:40 PM
The songs were okay, loved the score.

exnoctem
11-26-2007, 08:15 PM
i thought the score was great, as well as overall soundtrack selection and placement. there are a few exception IMO though, as i would've saved the main halloween theme for when adult michael put on the mask for the first time. i definetly thought it was to soon to play it with young unmasked michael onscreen in the begining, and "love hurts" playing during the stripping/sulking scene was a bit too much for me. "God of Thunder" and the misfits "halloween II" had perfect placement though.

DoomsdayFAN
12-01-2007, 09:38 PM
So did you enjoy the music (both the score and the actual songs that were used throughout the film) in this film?

F*cking FANTASTIC!!! Best of ALL the sequels!!! :bow:

"Love Hurts" was a GREAT scene. Kinda sad to see Little Mikey like that.

But the best "music" scene in the whole movie IMO was the scene where Little Michael is stalking Judith down the hallway and they got the whole "Stalking Theme" blazing!!! That was great.

Flash Over
12-02-2007, 07:47 AM
I wonder how the music will sound since it's been redone for the Unrated version...

Kinick
12-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Same here! I'm hoping he's gone and re-edited it more akin to the Workprint - much darker and louder.

Theatrical score was weak compared to the impact of the WP... even if it was mostly temp.

Flash Over
12-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Same here! I'm hoping he's gone and re-edited it more akin to the Workprint - much darker and louder.

Theatrical score was weak compared to the impact of the WP... even if it was mostly temp.

Yeah, Agreed there. Hopefully "Chasing Laurie" will sound as (or close to) Intense as "Truck over Zombies" did in the WP

njdevs03champs
12-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Just a tremendous soundtrack but I wish they add some of the "Chasing Laurie" themes instead of a lot of the dialogue.

erik027
04-13-2012, 03:13 AM
The score and soundtrack were great. Especially the sound effects/score in suspense scenes.

Thorni52
04-13-2012, 07:05 AM
The score for RZH is okay. The one for RZH2 is a lot better.

The Frightmaster
04-14-2012, 04:02 PM
The score was good, but nothing spectacular. Love Hurts still sticks out like a sore thumb, IMO. Always thought that was a weird/unnesscary choice, it just seems outta place. I remember watching it for the first time and chuckling when Love Hurts started playing because it just seemed so absurd

Thorni52
04-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Love Hurts still sticks out like a sore thumb, IMO. Always thought that was a weird/unnesscary choice, it just seems outta place. I remember watching it for the first time and chuckling when Love Hurts started playing because it just seemed so absurd

Thats actually how my friend refers to the movie.

I'll ask him "You saw RZH right?"

and he'll say "Is that the one with Love Hurts in it?"

Then he will mock the scene with little Mikey sitting on the curb with the song full blast. I think it's pretty obvious it was a terrible choice. The cover song works nicely in RZH2 though.

Roswell
04-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I'll be in the minority here, but I thought Don't Fear The Reaper was more awkward than Love Hurts. It's a great song, and it fit in the original in a nice, subtle way, but having to hear it TWICE in the film (both times right before Michael goes in for a kill) was ridiculous. It felt inappropriate, the same way that the original Loomis dialogue felt inappropriate.

Say what you will about Love Hurts, but at least that scene is brief, and the way it returns in H2 is a great callback and suitable for the end of Zombie's story.

Thorni52
04-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I'll be in the minority here, but I thought Don't Fear The Reaper was more awkward than Love Hurts. It's a great song, and it fit in the original in a nice, subtle way, but having to hear it TWICE in the film (both times right before Michael goes in for a kill) was ridiculous. It felt inappropriate, the same way that the original Loomis dialogue felt inappropriate.

Say what you will about Love Hurts, but at least that scene is brief, and the way it returns in H2 is a great callback and suitable for the end of Zombie's story.

Don't Fear The Reaper is so subtle though. You most likely won't even pick up on it if your not a huge fan. Love Hurts however was played at maximum volume and almost gave the movie a unintentional comedic wtf moment.

Roswell
04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Don't Fear The Reaper is so subtle though. You most likely won't even pick up on it if your not a huge fan. Love Hurts however was played at maximum volume and almost gave the movie a unintentional comedic wtf moment.

Again, it was a brief scene, and I was barely paying attention to the song choice when I saw it in the theater, so I didn't have that "OMG! Love Hurts? Really?" moment that people seemed to have. It just didn't bother me, and it still doesn't. :dunno:

The Don't Fear The Reaper scenes were drawn out long enough for them to bother me. I didn't need to hear the song, especially when I was trying to be objective and take the film on its own merits. I appreciate Zombie throwing it in there for fans of the original, but it wasn't necessary.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Thats actually how my friend refers to the movie.

I'll ask him "You saw RZH right?"

and he'll say "Is that the one with Love Hurts in it?"

Then he will mock the scene with little Mikey sitting on the curb with the song full blast. I think it's pretty obvious it was a terrible choice. The cover song works nicely in RZH2 though.

They're BOTH covers...how many times does that have to be said?

Funny how people rag Nazareth's version, then give them undue credit for writing the song. :p

Muse
04-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Wow, didn't realise people were at all bothered by Love Hurts. I certainly wasn't, at all. I'm not a huge fan of RZH and can't say I ever loved the scene but it definitely had nothing to do with the song choice. But I'm not that familiar with the song, anyway (I know it, of course, but only from reputation) so maybe it doesn't ring cheese or anything else 'inappropriate' with me. hah

halo thirty one
04-14-2012, 05:04 PM
I actually remember Remicis pointing out Love Hurts in his RZH review, and how he didn't care for it in that scene. Not that Remicis' opinion is the end all, be all, but he's a cool dude and this conversation reminded me of it.

Thorni52
04-14-2012, 05:07 PM
They're BOTH covers...how many times does that have to be said?

Funny how people rag Nazareth's version, then give them undue credit for writing the song. :p

I know, I really should give credit where credits due... The Boy George version :bastard:

I just think that RZH2 hands down has a way better soundtrack then RZH. My only wish is that Rob would have kept Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cities in Dust in substitute for the Moterhead song. I think thats the scene it would've been in.

Actually It doesn't really matter but I really like that song :hugegrin:

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-15-2012, 03:24 AM
I know, I really should give credit where credits due... The Boy George version :bastard:

I just think that RZH2 hands down has a way better soundtrack then RZH. My only wish is that Rob would have kept Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cities in Dust in substitute for the Moterhead song. I think thats the scene it would've been in.

Actually It doesn't really matter but I really like that song :hugegrin:

Not sure where Siouxsie would've been used, but I've always loved Cities in Dust, as well. Though honestly, I can't imagine any point in the film where it would have been an appropriate backdrop...which is probably why it was phased out.

Oh, and the Everly Brothers are rolling in their graves. What? They're not dead? Well, they're probably contemplating suicide, then. :p And Boudleaux Bryant, the man who actually wrote Love Hurts has been dead for 25 years, so I'm sure he's rolling over in his grave, at least. As is Roy Orbison, no doubt, who recorded the best version of it in 1961.

JoshuaKelhoffer
05-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I liked the classic rock songs. I especially love the use of Tom Sawyer by Rush.

But, as an avid fan of film score, Tyler Bates is just a bland composer. His scores are so generic.

EvilOnTwoLegs
05-12-2012, 12:30 AM
His RZH2 score was the best thing that's happened musically in the world of Halloween post-1978. Mainly because it wasn't just a bunch of new arrangements of the same goddamn cues. haha

JoshuaKelhoffer
05-12-2012, 08:37 AM
His RZH2 score was the best thing that's happened musically in the world of Halloween post-1978. Mainly because it wasn't just a bunch of new arrangements of the same goddamn cues. haha

I wouldn't go as far to call what Bates did "music."

EvilOnTwoLegs
05-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Hmmmmmmm...he arranged musical notes, in order to suit the tone of the film. Not only would I call that music, I'd call it a film score. :p

Roswell
05-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Ambient music is still music. Just ask Brian Eno.

A Dumb Question
05-12-2012, 01:35 PM

The difference is that Don't Fear the Reaper is a great song and a nice callback to the original film. Yeah, it was overused in RZH, but at least it effectively paralleled the two scenes. I went into the film hoping to hear some Blue Oyster Cult on the soundtrack, so I wasn't disappointed.

Conversely, Nazareth's cover of Love Hurts is horrendous enough by itself, but the scene it was in was absurd and superfluous to boot. We just saw Michael kill a schoolmate--the last thing we want to do is cry for him, especially to a whiny rock ballad version of an otherwise decent song.

JoshuaKelhoffer
05-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Ambient music is still music. Just ask Brian Eno.

I will clarify, I don't think the ambient music that Tyler Bates creates is very good. I have liked Brian Eno's work, and of course, there's a lot of John Carpenter's scores.

I also think that ambient music is something that very few film composers can do right without it being boring, and what Bates does is very dull and generic.

Roswell
05-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Conversely, Nazareth's cover of Love Hurts is horrendous enough by itself, but the scene it was in was absurd and superfluous to boot. We just saw Michael kill a schoolmate--the last thing we want to do is cry for him, especially to a whiny rock ballad version of an otherwise decent song.

If I felt like he deserved sympathy at that moment, then yeah, it would be a problem. After Michael kills Wesley, though, he gets no sympathy from me. It's obvious he's a cold blooded killer at that point, and even if he's pissed off about Halloween and his home life, that doesn't change what he is. At that point Love Hurts might as well just be the background music in the strip club.

Peaker1990
05-12-2012, 02:34 PM
My sympathies during that scene were directed at Debbie.

She's doing this humiliating work, all so she can take care of her kids (and the worthless Ronnie), scatterbrained with the horrors of Chambers' and Loomis' accusations against Michael... and he's preparing to kill his sister all because he didn't get his way.

A Dumb Question
05-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Editorially, though, Michael is the focal point of the montage, not Deborah.

EvilOnTwoLegs
05-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Well, there's your problem right there. The editing in RZH blows.

Stebob1984
10-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Loved the score, thought they did a great job of updating the Halloween theme.

The music however just didn't sit well with he, I can't stand Love Hurts, don't really care for God of Thunder and I hated the Mr Sandman version they used.

Michael Voorhees
10-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Still love the music, & I think it's the third best after JCH & RZH2.

ClassOf78
10-25-2013, 08:07 AM
The score is alright. Some of it sounds like it was taken right out of The Devil's Rejects. Much like everything else, this was done better in the sequel.