PDA

View Full Version : General Numeral RATING for RZ's Halloween

scream_sayonara
09-01-2007, 09:48 AM
So, let's see how people rate this piece of shit. We're using a ten point spectrum.

theoutfieldguy
09-01-2007, 09:50 AM
7.I liked it.But then again,my expectations were that of HalloweeN:Resurrection,so things could only get better.

Thurisaz
09-01-2007, 09:52 AM
If I gave half points it'd be a 7.5, but I don't do that and I don't round up either. So that means it's a 7.

halo thirty one
09-01-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm somewhere between 6 and 7. Since it's a Halloween and it had pretty good atmosphere, I gave it a 7.

Rich
09-01-2007, 09:57 AM
I wish I could give that piece a shit a "negotive 50." I had to settle for a "1" though.

Laow-Z
09-01-2007, 09:57 AM
I would say a 7.5-8

It didn't feel too much like a Halloween flick but it had our beloved Michael and for a horror flick it was pretty decent. I think it'll get a little better the more I see it, you catch things you might've missed the first time round.

MyersFan927
09-01-2007, 09:59 AM
I gave it a 6 out of the 9.

mcilroga
09-01-2007, 10:02 AM
So, let's see how people rate this piece of shit. We're using a ten point spectrum.

No, we're obviously not seeing as the spectrum only goes up to 9.

Anyway, 7 for me... it's a good addition to the Halloween saga.

Patrick1679
09-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I gave it a 9 because I really enjoyed it. It was a fun in your face movie that made Michael scary again. He's the reason I went to see it! Not because of the other characters. I think it's a good "addition" to the series. It was never supposed to "replace" the original. It gave me what I wanted...a fun popcorn movie!

Myers Insurance
09-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Where's the 10?

HannibalBEATNGU
09-01-2007, 10:26 AM

My rating in the general expectations thread as a 4, so it could've turned out worse.

DarknessBDJM
09-01-2007, 11:12 AM
4-4.5/10. If you minused the prurient tendencies in the versions it's get a better rating from me of closer to 6.

scream_sayonara
09-01-2007, 11:15 AM
No, we're obviously not seeing as the spectrum only goes up to 9.

Anyway, 7 for me... it's a good addition to the Halloween saga.

No, it's a ten point spectrum, but I didn't post a ten since it's in no way an applicable rating

Silverpsycho
09-01-2007, 11:16 AM
I gave it a 7 because I found it entertaining and enjoyable, but I didn't love it enough to give it a perfect 9.

Myers Insurance
09-01-2007, 11:25 AM
No, it's a ten point spectrum, but I didn't post a ten since it's in no way an applicable rating

Except that there might be people here who vote for this film to be 10/10?

WhiteZombie
09-01-2007, 11:27 AM
8. I liked it alot. Calling it a "peice of shit" is fuckin ridiculous

mcilroga
09-01-2007, 11:36 AM

Some people think otherwise...

WhiteZombie
09-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Looks like more people here like it then dont. Where are people getting of saying its getting "torn apart"

jbyrd123
09-01-2007, 11:44 AM
This film to me was easily the best since the orginal, I give it a 8.5

Shane
09-01-2007, 11:46 AM
I gave it a 9. Best since the original.

mmyers78
09-01-2007, 11:53 AM
i give it a 9. this movie is fuckin awesome i dont know how you could hate it unless your comparing it to the original. easily the best since the first 3

Worthystevens
09-01-2007, 11:56 AM
An 8. Though I can't decide whether it's my 2nd or 3rd favorite in the series (with H1 and H2 taking the pole positions).

WhiteZombie
09-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Ha, This poll is really close to the pre-expectations thread. Looks like everyone got what they were expecting.

Dr_Loomis02
09-01-2007, 11:59 AM
It gets an 8 from me. That might be unfair of me even, I was thinking 9, but there are things that I still don't like as much, so that seems like a good rating.
Again, this film was much better the second time around. It feels like a Halloween film to me. Sure its got Zombie's stamp, but this really screams out "halloween." It was definately worth while. Can't wait to see it again.

HaLLoWeeNiGhT
09-01-2007, 12:10 PM
10/10...Loved every minute of it. Haven't been that into a movie in a while. Danielle Harris is AWESOME.

alfabit1
09-01-2007, 12:15 PM
4/10
I'm stunned at the amount of positive feedback this thing is getting on the boards.

Schmeer
09-01-2007, 12:22 PM
0/10

I didn't like it one bit. And I really wanted to give it a chance, too. I'd rather watch H:R ten times than this again. At least that one had the REAL Micheal Myers.

The Frightmaster
09-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I just got back from watching it and I give it a 5 or 6. I thought it was alright. I was a little disappointed when I left the theater.

WhiteZombie
09-01-2007, 12:35 PM
0/10

I didn't like it one bit. And I really wanted to give it a chance, too. I'd rather watch H:R ten times than this again. At least that one had the REAL Micheal Myers.

Yeah, "real" Myers should have his ass kicked by "Busta Rymes" shouldent he. Zombie's Myers would have Busta's shit talking cocky ass on the floor in seconds.

DarknessBDJM
09-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, "real" Myers should have his ass kicked by "Busta Rymes" shouldent he. Zombie's Myers would have Busta's shit talking cocky ass on the floor in seconds.

Are you kidding? He was out for almost 2 minutes due to a knife in the shoulder, and Busta didn't actually do anything besides move him back.

Dr_Loomis02
09-01-2007, 12:44 PM
The fact that anyone is even comparing RZ Halloween to HR is insulting. HR is a worthless pile of poo. There is no comparison. This film is far better than that crap pile.

WhiteZombie
09-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Are you kidding? He was out for almost 2 minutes due to a knife in the shoulder, and Busta didn't actually do anything besides move him back.

He had him waving his arms around like a bitch, then knocked his ass out a window. Zombie's Myers was shot multiple times before even flinching, and took out a massive trucker with a knife. Ressurection Myers had trouble with a few stoned teenagers.

Rich
09-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I think what Rob should have did was just make a straight up prequel, because that half of the movie really was awesome. He should have fleshed out more of the domestic abuse that Michael recived instead of just suggesting it. He should have ended the movie with Michael in the police car and then make Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 the actual remake and fleshed that out more. He simply tried to cram too much into one movie.

The second half seemed painfully rushed. I did not even feel like Halloween. It felt more like Texas Chainsaw when they were in the Myers house.

Another concept Rob had that I liked was that little Michael did not remember his crimes. His mind obviously blocked them out, like Norman Bates. That would have been a very good angle to flesh out in the prequel, but Rob blew that basically by suggesting it and then completely forgetting about it.

Myers Insurance
09-01-2007, 01:10 PM
I agree.

scream_sayonara
09-01-2007, 02:27 PM
0/10

Yes, I really can't understand how any intelligent viewer could like this movie or think it's decent, let alone "the greatest since the original"

I left out 10, because a ten = perfect = a masterpiece. The original is the only one is the series that could be worthy of a ten. I don't even think this remake is worthy of the simple grace of any integer in the vast span of mathematics.

scream_sayonara
09-01-2007, 02:29 PM
And if you voted ten, don't even tell me; the simple knowledge will just inform me of your inferiority to the rest of the members. But that's just me.

Myers Insurance
09-01-2007, 02:38 PM
And now you're being intolerant. We all have our own opinions about the films. Some think H4 is the best sequel, others think H2 is the best, a few think H20 is the best, and yet we're all fine with that.

BUT GOD FORBID SOMEONE THINK THAT THE NEW FILM IS THE GREATEST SINCE THE 1978 FILM!!!!!!

MichaelJrdnMyrs
09-01-2007, 03:33 PM
4/10.

Loved the first part, absolutely astonished by how bad the second part was.

chubbs
09-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Definitely a 9, would have been a ten, except for one thing.

There was too much blood. I mean I am raised in a era of horror where blood equals good to most, but I appreciate the era when you didn't need so much blood to be good.

Worthystevens
09-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Yes, I really can't understand how any intelligent viewer could like this movie or think it's decent, let alone "the greatest since the original"

How about it's because maybe we did like it? And that not everyone shares the same opinion that you have? :bigeyes:

Rich
09-01-2007, 03:44 PM
And if you voted ten, don't even tell me; the simple knowledge will just inform me of your inferiority to the rest of the members. But that's just me.

I don't think that is right to say. I think everyone knows how I feel about the movie by now, but that doesn't mean I go around bashing others who do, calling them inferior. Your and my oppinion is no more valid then anyone else's.

Loved the first part, absolutely astonished by how bad the second part was

So was I. I really did not like the new Dr. Loomis at all, and not just because it wasn't Donnald, but because that guy really sucked. He should have watched the original film behind Rob's back and watched Donnald.

The one part that made me laugh my ass off is when young Michael had the adult Michael mask on. It looked so big on him, it reminds me of when you go to the store around halloween time and you see little kids trying on masks that is sizes too big for them. It just looked so silly, I was hysterical. That is part of the reason the movie is a failier in my eyes. I don't think it was intended to make me laugh.

theoutfieldguy
09-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah to compare this to Resurrection is near impossible.The improvements are there.There is nobody talking the trash to Michael when they should be running away instead.Michael isnt getting his ass whipped by the guy trash talking him-he's doing the ass whipping.So to say that this is below Resurrection is something that I've failed to see.This is "Gone With The Wind" compared to Rosenthals last outing in the HalloweeN series.And I'd be willing to bet Rob Zombie's dvd commentary wont be quite as boring as Rick's,either.

Sock
09-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Saw it last night right after work and I have to admit, at first I had very mixed feelings about it. I went into the theater knowing that this was going to be a completely different movie and not expecting to see a straight remake (I didn't really want that anyway to be honest). Well, despite this, I found it almost impossible to seperate this one in my mind from the original. For example, when Linda got killed, i thought "wow, they jumped to this part already, this movie is really moving through fast". I then realized later that Annie was still alive, because it was a completely different story, but it took me a while to slap myself in the head and go "duh, stupid, this is a completely different movie remember".

It was also odd to see a a completely different set of charachters but with the same names of all those whom I grew to love. Michael Myers, for example, is completely different than the Michael I had come to know. I see it as Michael Myers in the original is the Boogeyman Michael Myers, while Michael Myers in this film is the Humanistic Serial Killer Michael Myers. Now this wasn't bad, it's just different and thats the point i'm really trying to get at. I was taken off guard by how different this Halloween was and so I ended up walking away somewhat confused and not really knowing what to think. I now believe, after much thought and deliberation, that this film was very good, the best infact since the original.

I believe that as time moves on, and I get to watch the film again, i will come to appreciate it even more. So to wrap it up (i know i've been babbling for a while now) I give this movie an 8 and would say that it is the 2nd best film in the series, only falling short to the original. There were some things that generally bothered me, such as I thought parts of the film seemed rushed through, Michael Myers handing linda the beer, and Michael walking away when the girls screamed at him, ect... but it was a great film overall.

To all those who hate it and say it was crap, I suggest you watch it again and try to keep in mind that this is not supposed to be the same film or even a film from the same series. It's Rob Zombie's vision of the classic tale that we know as Halloween. Take it as that, and you may find that you enjoy it alot more.

The one part that made me laugh my ass off is when young Michael had the adult Michael mask on. It looked so big on him, it reminds me of when you go to the store around halloween time and you see little kids trying on masks that is sizes too big for them. It just looked so silly, I was hysterical. That is part of the reason the movie is a failier in my eyes. I don't think it was intended to make me laugh.

I thought this part was good. I liked watching young Michael stalk, especially when he went after that asshole kid. All I can really say is that if you found an oversized mask on child to be "hysterical" as you put it, you really need to develop some maturity.

XBlackxShadeX
09-01-2007, 04:48 PM
8 i think he did a good job on it. After all, that's how he views this all.

Todd
09-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I give it between a 7.5 and an 8.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought it wasa little better than just good.

Villain612
09-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes, I really can't understand how any intelligent viewer could like this movie or think it's decent

I guess we're just not that bright then.

I'm objective.

I point out the good aspects of the film and I point out the bad. My full review is in the review thread (page 5 or 6 I think).

It wasn't a great film, but it wasn't horrible.

The prequel stuff was the best part of the film. The rushed remake part was what really brought it down and to me, almost sank the film - but overall, it worked.

Basically, my feeling is this: if you like the IDEA of having an out-of-the-box Halloween film, then you might enjoy this movie. I'm very into criminology, true crime, and serial killers - therefore I really enjoyed seeing the portrayal of Myers as a textbook psychopath. I thought the interaction between Daeg and McDowell was the heart of the film and made me see the adult Michael as a grown up version of Daeg. For the first time ever in the Halloween series, I saw the adult Michael Myers as a human being, and I actually felt a little sorry for him. If seeing MM as a human being is a big negative aspect for you, then you probably won't like this movie. If you think that's a different and interesting portrayal, then you might like this movie.

I liked this film because it was an unconventional Halloween film.
But I know a lot of people will hate it because it is an unconventional Halloween film.

I think we all agree on the rushed 3rd act, so that point is moot.

Btw... I gave it a 6.

Redskinndallas
09-01-2007, 06:19 PM
I gave it a 3. I cant believe that I was so ready for it to be over. The whole thing was a failure. The writing, acting, directing and scenery was off. It was not good.

Roswell
09-01-2007, 06:23 PM
I gave it an 8. Loved it.

renee30152
09-01-2007, 06:28 PM
I gave it a 7. It was a pretty decent movie. I had a few things I didn't like about it, but on whole it was pretty good. MUCH better then Halloween 8. As long as you don't compare it to the orginal, it was good.
Though it didn't have a real "Halloween Season" feel to it.

Chomp_on_this
09-01-2007, 06:42 PM
For a Halloween movie, I'll be generous and give it a 7. For a film in general, I'll be even more generous and give it a 2.

Sam Loomis922
09-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I gave it a 8. Love the original but I think to really love this movie you have to love RZ's films and the Halloween films. Some parts were really good and others were just plain bad. I hate the new ending, I'd give this 9 if it had the workprint ending and a few other missing shots in the final version. I'm still waiting for the series to move forward.

renee30152
09-01-2007, 07:13 PM
I wonder if there will be a sequel?

Khan
09-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Money talks, so no matter how dead people appear, they can spring back to life.

plokoon11
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I rate it a 7, for good quality, but bad portrayal.

paxil.loomis.
09-01-2007, 10:07 PM
upon my first viewing friday night, i would have given it a 4 or 5...but i gave it another shot tonight and really ended up enjoying it. i just had to get the original out of my head. there are still a number of things that could have been better...certain scenes and dialogue that seemed forced or just out of place. it definitely got better with repeated viewings though. 7 from me.

FooFighters
09-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I give it a 5/10.

reck72
09-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I gave it a 5, could have been worse, had some good ideas, but instead of Rob Zombie making this movie, I wish John Carpenter would have done what he said he wanted to do years ago, and remake his own with the ideas and money he didn't have when he made his first movie.

wyatt s
09-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I kind of hard pressed to decide what number to give it. The first time I saw it I was torn between giving it a 6 (mostly because of clunky use of Carpenter's material, and poor pacing in some sectionfs of the film) and a 7. However after viewing it a second time it actually played better for me, and now I'm not sure whether to give it a 7 or an 8. I'll go with a 7 I suppose.

Boogeyman Beau
09-02-2007, 12:44 AM
I gave it an 8. I enjoyed it and intend to see it again within the next week. I like it the best of any Halloween movie after HII. Of course, it'll never replace the original, nor does it have to.

Myers_0728
09-02-2007, 01:04 AM
The fact that anyone is even comparing RZ Halloween to HR is insulting. HR is a worthless pile of poo. There is no comparison. This film is far better than that crap pile.

I totally agree. This was far better than HR. Me no like HR. HR BAD! :nodsmile:

I just got back from seeing it, I gave it an 8. Didn't like the ending too much. But it was still good, IMO.

Chaosboy
09-02-2007, 01:45 AM
why be limited to a number?..............fuck em' use a letter grade.....dont follow the pack....use a letter rating!!! fuck up the " norms " give it a letter grade...........you know, just ta fuck up the " know it all norms" who dedicate their exsistance to their knowledge" of thehalloween franchise. those who hate this movie need to rethink their train of thought...............oh wait........they were expecting award winning shit...........whatever!!! all you dummies expecting the " be all end all" Halloween are idiots!!! If you use the original as a benchmark..,..then you need to remember that you have a functioning brain....if you can, that is. You cant compare the original to the reimagining..............and that is what it was.....someone else's "vision" of the film. Comparing the 2 is like comparing the "past" to the "presant". You cant do it..............SO, take the film for what it is and.....ENJOY IT!!!............you complaining bunch of suckey mother fuckers!!!......oh! I'm sorry...did you have a better idea???....yeah I thought not..............tell me, what did you "masters" expect??....you all "pros" couldn't find your camera from the lunch buffet!!!....so shut the fuck up and watch " Alice in Wonderland " like you were destined to. You narrow minded "fucks" are lucky you got a movie at ALL!!.....and of course...you sad sacks will attack me without a 2nd thought....but no matter....the folks that have an open mind will say "yeah...its a disturbing film that I found had a deeper message than was portrayed in the film." I think that you " haters " would not be satisfied no matter what RZ did.......so, in essense your opinion is biased and fuckin' stupid......play all the mind gamesyou want with me............but you'll lose cause.......nothing would satisfy you anyway..................and you know I am right....."HALLOWEEN" the RZ vision.....is 10000000 X's better than ANYTHING any of YOU so called " experts " could even begin to formulate. SO, those that like the film....should feel good that the franchise that has found " new " legs to run with.....or, a franchise that has ended on a HIGH note.................what you haters were expecting, only your closed minded brain will know..........but we who saw the film for what it was meant to be.....dont give a rats' ass anyway!!!! ok know...dont choke on your linguini......cause after all.....its only a movie.....hey does anyone like cherry twizzlers??

may chaos ruin your night.....loves and kisses

dr.bullet
09-02-2007, 07:23 AM
loved it!

mmyers78
09-02-2007, 07:44 AM
this movie is fuckin awesome!!! A+

Cereal Killer
09-02-2007, 07:53 AM
I gave it a 2. I think the filming was great, the charachters were well selected, a lot of thinking and work went into it... but IMHO the story sucked and it does nothing but injustice & discredit to the original. Opened it up too much.

My 16 year old horror loving daughter that generally took to all the classic's "remakes" even thought this was a slap in the face of JC's movie... and she didn't care for it at all. Very unlike her, but she likes the 78' version for all the same reasons I do. We watched it together more than once, and she pops it into the DVD on her own now & again.

I was disappointed and actually wanted to leave about 3/4 through.

mmyers78
09-02-2007, 07:58 AM
I gave it a 2. I think the filming was great, the charachters were well selected, a lot of thinking and work went into it... but IMHO the story sucked and it does nothing but injustice & discredit to the original. Opened it up too much.

My 16 year old horror loving daughter that generally took to all the classic's "remakes" even thought this was a slap in the face of JC's movie... and she didn't care for it at all. Very unlike her, but she likes the 78' version for all the same reasons I do. We watched it together more than once, and she pops it into the DVD on her own now & again.

thats because this film isnt supposed to be the original, its rob zombies halloween

Cereal Killer
09-02-2007, 08:33 AM
thats because this film isnt supposed to be the original, its rob zombies halloween
Please. It's still a remake with a prequel of the original movie that Carpenter wrote... that's even what RZ said when he took on the task. Charachters, storyline ( :question: ), etc. If he changed his lingo or stance in the last year or something that's one thing, I haven't been reading anything he's said since the original "remake" interview. I didn't want ANY spoiling after the first interview... maybe first 2.

The thread wanted my number... it's a generous 2. Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna go pop in a The Night HE Came Home DVD and eat some popcorn.

Laurie_Strode05
09-02-2007, 08:49 AM
When i left the theaters i was highly disappointed. Rob zombie really let me down and us as fans. This movie was garbage it was just threw together with cursing and full of irrelevant sex scenes. The girls were way too corny when they spoke and half of the characters couldnt act. I was really pissed i couldnt even sleep! It sucked major ass crack i would give this a -1000!!!!

Laurie_Strode05
09-02-2007, 08:54 AM

I agree with your daughter im 16yrs old my self and i would take the original over that crap ass movie. It was a slap in the face to Debra Hill and John C. Although it was RZ's version he gave it a whole new dumb way of seeing Micheal Myers.

viperswat
09-02-2007, 08:58 AM
I'd give it a 7. True, it doesn't do justice to Carpenter's original, but I'm trying to judge RZ's film on its own terms.

MyersFan927
09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Now that they upped it to 10, I give it a 7.

tazz13
09-02-2007, 04:59 PM
a solid 7

Khan
09-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I give it a 1.

YourAverageJoe
09-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Well, I guess I'm one of the few that enjoyed the hell out of this movie.

I went and seen it again today. And I'm going to take my mom eventually. And I bet that I'll go back to see it two or three more times after that. Maybe I'll just see it once a week until it leaves my theater. I just flat out love this movie.

I can't believe that it's being said that this doesn't do the original justice. Well, of course it doesn't. It's not supposed to do anything when compared to the origina. It's not supposed to be the original. I know it's a remake. I know that it's a remake of John Carpenter's Halloween. But, it's a remake.

Seperating itself from the original was the whole point. It needed to be different or else it would have been pointless. We already have John Carpenter's take. We have had that take for almost 30 years. And then the moment that someone else decides to do a different take on it, it's being compared to the original.

In my opinion, it's not fair to compare the 2007 version to the 1978 version. This movie doesn't even try to compare itself to the original, but it ends up getting compared anyways. This movie was supposed to be a fresh take on the story, and it damn sure did that well.

Anyways, sorry for getting off topic. Just needed to vent. I thought the story, the characters, the setting, the music, the acting...hell everything about this movie was great. I enjoyed seeing something fresh as compared to the same old shit. Sure it has it's acting moments I suppose but folks it's a horror movie. It's not trying to win an Oscar.

I give it a solid 10. Solid as can be.

Icebreaker_8605
09-02-2007, 06:38 PM
A 7. I did enjoy the film overall, but I suppose this Halloween remake/prequel was upgraded to the 21st century, where there was elements consisting of gore and nudity. I wasn't too keen on the new Laurie Strode, though; not as repressed as JLC's...but yea I get its RZ's take on the character. This movie gave itself a decent stab at becoming the new Halloween for 2007 and that's why I liked it. Doesn't measure up to the original, of course, but in the ranking of the series I'd say it goes about 4th-5th place. :)

Todd
09-02-2007, 06:44 PM
If we break it down by percentages, with 1-5 being people who didn't really care for it and 6-10 being people who liked it, it looks like about 70% of the voters here thought it was a good movie, with 43% thinking it was better than just good.
Pretty decent numbers in this movies favor.

Khan
09-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Ok, I up it to a 2.

JHalloween1979
09-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I can't rate it was so horrible and so lame and boring. I walked out the first 20 min into it and got my money.

Khan
09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
To me, it is just a movie.

It doesn't ruin my life if I didn't like it.

Beamo
09-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I loved this movie I give it 9/10.

Like everyone else I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was impressed by Zombies version.

The ending was so intense.

101ant101
09-03-2007, 12:32 PM
8/10 it was a good prequel/remake

Trooper#4
09-03-2007, 12:37 PM
I've never seen so many people improve their rating after seeing it more than once. There isn't much depth to the movie, so I'm guessing people get used to what they didn't like and focus on what they do like.

I give it a 5. I saw it twice and thought the chase scene went on forever the second time. And the whitetrash breakfast was just as bad.

I think its more watchable than some of the other sequels. I guess I need to go see it over and over and convince myself its good.

Zombie
09-03-2007, 12:45 PM
I gave it a 3.

The original wouldn't even get a 10 from me, as I tend to think of 10 as the perfect movie and while I love the original, it's not a perfect movie.

D Adams
09-03-2007, 03:01 PM
A "7" ... and people should try to respect it as RZ's vision, not a JC copy.

Villain612
09-03-2007, 03:02 PM
On a second viewing, the second half slowed down for me. It was still rushed though. I stick by my "6" rating.

Deckard
09-03-2007, 03:31 PM
On a second viewing, the second half slowed down for me. It was still rushed though. I stick by my "6" rating.

I just got back from seeing it again...and while I originally would have said a 9- I will now say a solid ten. The thing that bothered me the first time was that it was even more different than I originally imagined it would be. And the "reimagining" portion WAS really rushed...but I too felt it all slow down upon second viewing. Just the sheer anticipation of it uon first viewing just made it all happen so fast and furious that I really didn't know what to think at first. THis time, I took it in as it went along and I just appreciate the hell out of what Zombie did. I loved it from beginning to end. Sure I'd add more to the reimagining portion but only because I liked the actresses playing our classic roles so much that I want to see even more of their takes on the characters. 10/10...best since the original, by far.

DarknessBDJM
09-03-2007, 03:31 PM
I actually have to bump this up to a 5 after watching Ressurection last night. Both are poster movies for untapped potential.

I actually feel bad that most of us Halloween fans were so starved for another entry into the franchise that many of us are giving it an 8-10 rating. That's kind of sad.

Todd 78
09-03-2007, 03:49 PM
It was even beter the second time. This is only behind the original to me, and since I was only about 6months old, this is easily the best Halloween I saw in the theaters.

I give it a 9. Im a verry happy camper

The Dark Shape
09-03-2007, 03:54 PM
After three viewings...

Todd
09-03-2007, 03:56 PM
The tide has really turned in favor of this movie.
At first it seemed like there were as many detractors as there were people viewing it favorably, but now those who like it are a resounding majority, at least on this board.
I still give it a solid 7.5, bordering on an 8.

Khan
09-03-2007, 03:58 PM
On other boards I am on, it is pretty mixed.

Todd
09-03-2007, 04:03 PM
On other boards I am on, it is pretty mixed.
I can't speak for what's being said on other boards, but this is the place I take more seriously. People here are hard core fans, so they aren't going to pull any punches.

mr_casper_sgv
09-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I give it a 7

halloweenboy
09-03-2007, 04:39 PM
:krad: I gave it a 10. It was scary,great story, the settings felt very like a Halloween movie. It had some moments from the original, but nothing like it scene for scene. AMAZING go see this.

mr_casper_sgv
09-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Maybe I felt bad for lil michael as a kid, he had it rough, and that song played when he was all sad, Love Hurts, then Dr Loomis huggs him and tells him its ok when young michael was crying. I cant figure out what it was that maybe not like it %100 like I thought I would....

Khan
09-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I can't speak for what's being said on other boards, but this is the place I take more seriously. People here are hard core fans, so they aren't going to pull any punches.

I have seen some hardcore fans on other boards too, but in smaller numbers.

Todd
09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
I have seen some hardcore fans on other boards too, but in smaller numbers.
All I can say is that not everybody was going to like this movie.
It's a remake of a beloved film, so that automatically put a bad taste in some peoples mouths. Plus, Rob Zombie has a unique style that wasn't going to be pleasing to some people. I went in with as open a mind as possible and really like what I saw. Not everything, but in general I thought it was very good.
I think it's possible that people who were skeptical from the start might be making a bigger deal out of some of the flaws than is truly warranted, but that's just my opinion.

jaquen
09-03-2007, 05:11 PM
6.5. Enjoyable way to spend an evening with friends, and while it does have it's very effective, and effecting moments,ultimately it's a failure. It's redundant to compare it to the Original, of course it pales, but I don't even think it lived up to it's own potential. But it's easily better than most of the Halloween sequels, so I'll give it that much.

wyatt s
09-03-2007, 05:13 PM
I gave it a 7 because I really liked it, but I have to admit that I can see why a lot of people didn't. There's definately stuff that, though it didn't much matter to me, I can see being real sticking points for other people.

Trooper#4
09-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I agree that many people aren't going to like this. That's why Zombie was a strange choice to me. Halloween is loved by non-horror fans and critics. Zombie's "vision" is aimed at a specific group of horror fans. Its not doing well with critics (rottentomatoes.com) and it has split Halloween fans.

njdevs03champs
09-03-2007, 07:33 PM
I gave it a 7.

4BarrelHemi
09-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I give it a 4

Villain612
09-03-2007, 10:41 PM
I just got back from seeing it again...and while I originally would have said a 9- I will now say a solid ten. The thing that bothered me the first time was that it was even more different than I originally imagined it would be. And the "reimagining" portion WAS really rushed...but I too felt it all slow down upon second viewing. Just the sheer anticipation of it uon first viewing just made it all happen so fast and furious that I really didn't know what to think at first. THis time, I took it in as it went along and I just appreciate the hell out of what Zombie did. I loved it from beginning to end. Sure I'd add more to the reimagining portion but only because I liked the actresses playing our classic roles so much that I want to see even more of their takes on the characters. 10/10...best since the original, by far.

I respect your opinion.

I just hardly give any movies a 10/10.

I reserve that for the truly elite.

Dr_Loomis02
09-04-2007, 12:47 AM
I respect your opinion.

I reserve that for the truly elite.

I agree. But as a hardcore Halloween fan for many, many years, I'm leaning toward a ten myself.
I voted 8 originally, but honestly...this film has gotten me excited to be a fan again.
I remember my reaction after walking out of H:20. I was crushed as a fan. It wasn't scary, it was Scream in a ever changing Michael Myers mask.

RZ's film captures the magic of the original for me in a way no sequel, beyond possibly part II and maybe IV, have done before.

I saw H:20 several more times, many since over the years, and while I find it only sub-par now instead of hating it, I never came to like it.

All it took with RZ's film was a second viewing and it was Halloween history for me. I think Dekkard is right, many felt the last act rushed because we know how it happens in the other version. But upon now seeing it 3 times, the pacing feels fine.
Again, all the complaints are more like nit-picks to me. I find this the best film to date since the original.

jaquen
09-04-2007, 05:33 AM

Neither do I. Rating any Halloween film at "10", including the brilliant original, is just absurd IMO. I think there is a stark difference between a film being a perfect "10" to you, and calling a movie a "10" from purely an artistic standpoint only. Plenty of films are a "9" or "10" to me personally, they strike a personal core, but I'd never suggest that some of those films are an overall "10" from an objective point of view. Rob Zombie's "Halloween", no matter how much you dig it, does not even remotely warrant a "10" as a piece of cinematic artistry.

zombie commando
09-04-2007, 06:23 AM
8/10

I think that most people that hate it are eventually going to come around to enjoying it as a guilty pleasure.

Michael_Kennedy
09-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I give this a 6.5~7/10 (I voted 7 here, since there are no .5 options), based on my first viewing.

It was better than 4 of the Halloween sequels (if you remove HIII from the equation), and that says a lot to me (BTW, do I really need to put IMHO here, or are most of you intelligent enough to get that this my opinion? ;) ).

It will never (and, really, could never) replace the original. Hopefully I'll actually find the time to write up a complete review and post it in the review thread.

EDIT: Because a 6 is not a 5.

Psych0ticNemes1s
09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I gave this movie a 5 and I thought that was pretty generous. This movie was more of a disappointment than when Michigan lost to Appalachian State. Now I realize why I put little to no faith in Rob to begin with. He did exactly what I thought he would do... crank up the vulgarity and nudity dial. Screw character development, just have them take their clothes off! Sick... waste of my time and money. Can I have my money deducted from the box office sum?

jigsaw_dude
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
8/10, it's a great movie, but there's still flaws.

Villain612
09-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Neither do I. Rating any Halloween film at "10", including the brilliant original, is just absurd IMO. I think there is a stark difference between a film being a perfect "10" to you, and calling a movie a "10" from purely an artistic standpoint only. Plenty of films are a "9" or "10" to me personally, they strike a personal core, but I'd never suggest that some of those films are an overall "10" from an objective point of view. Rob Zombie's "Halloween", no matter how much you dig it, does not even remotely warrant a "10" as a piece of cinematic artistry.

From an objective point of view, I think you can give a film a 10/10 based on its overall effectiveness. Now, there is no perfect film - they all have flaws. But I think a film can work perfectly as an overall cinematic experience.

Take the original Halloween - there are small flubs located in the details of the movie - but it stands as an overall perfect viewing experience, so I think it can get a 10/10. Same thing for films like Psycho & Dawn of the Dead (original). They work so well overall that you don't really notice the small errors. And when a film works perfectly as an overall cinematic experience, I don't suggest tinkering with anything in it - even the small mistakes.

Worthystevens
09-04-2007, 12:06 PM
I gave those movie a 5 and I thought that was pretty generous. This movie was more of a disappointment than when Michigan lost to Appalachian State. Now I realize why I put little to no faith in Rob to being with. He did exactly what I thought he would do... crank up the vulgarity and nudity dial. Screw character development, just have them take their clothes off! Sick... waste of my time and money. Can I have my money deducted from the box office sum?

3 girls were topless, as opposed to 2 in the original. Not much difference.

TheShape'78
09-04-2007, 12:10 PM
i gave it a 7. if the dialogue and pacing were better it would have gotten a higher number, but 7 is still pretty good.

-mitch-

jaquen
09-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Halloween is a critical bomb, and has very mixed reaction from audiences. When the show closed in my theater some clapped, but even more showed very audible signs of disgust and dissatisfaction. Even I, who desperately wanted to enjoy the film, was sitting their for large chunks being pulled out of the moment from purely bad cinema. I think there is something almost universal about films that deserve a near 10, even amongst genre films. I mean a Psycho, the original Halloween, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, within genre these are those near perfect ten horror film experiences IMO. If Halloween is a 10 to someone personally,that's fine, but I don't understand anyone suggesting with any objectivity that Halloween overall is a "10", or even remotely close.

Villain612
09-04-2007, 12:25 PM
But how effective is this "Halloween" as an overall cinematic experience? I mean it's effective to you, but it's a critical bomb, and has very mixed reaction from audiences. When the show closed in my theater some clapped, but even more showed very audible signs of disgust and dissatisfaction. Even I, who desperately wanted to enjoy the film, was sitting their for large chunks being pulled out of the moment from purely bad cinema. I think there is something almost universal about films that deserve a near 10, even amongst genre films. I mean a Psycho, the original Halloween, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, within genre these are those near perfect ten horror film experiences IMO. Halloween is a 10 to you, which is fine, but I don't understand anyone suggesting with any objectivity that Halloween overall is a "10", or even remotely close.

Umm... the original Halloween is a 10 to me.

I rated RZ's Halloween as a 6.

jaquen
09-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Umm... the original Halloween is a 10 to me.

I rated RZ's Halloween as a 6.

I misread your first line as "From an objective point of view, I think you can give this film a 10/10 based on its overall effectiveness." LOL, sorry, you were the one who I quoted in the first place. I'll keep them message but dequote you.

Sock
09-04-2007, 04:14 PM
After my first viewing of the movie, I gave it an 8, however I had very mixed feelings about it. The problem was, i had went into to the theater tired and too focused on the original. I just got back from my second viewing and would like to change my vote to a 9. When i first saw the film, I too thought it felt rushed once the 2nd half or so came around. However, after watching it again, I believe that I only felt that way because I was comparing the pace of this film to the pace of the original. I belive one poster here put it best when they said that they went into this movie with so much excitement and anticipation that it just hit them very fast and all at once.

I know that this was my problem upon first viewing, but now that I have seen it with a clearer head and more open mind, I absolutely loved it. Sure there were some small lines and things that I thought could have been better (thats why its getting a 9/10) but most of them were pretty trivial in my book and I could easily overlook them. If you want to hate this film and say it sucked, go right ahead, I have no problem with that. Personally though, I really enjoyed this film and thats all that matters to me.

And while I do not believe in comparing Rob Zombie's film to the original, i'd just like to take this time to say that I rate the original Halloween as a perfect 10. Some may say that there are no perfect films, but the way I see it is, if I thought it was perfect then that is really all that matters.

RazorBlade101
09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
^^^ I agree a lot to what this guy is saying ...

Plus you people (AND THE CRITICS) will never be satisfied ...

Injoy this Halloween, because it is for sure already better then the next one ...

jaquen
09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Injoy this Halloween, because it is for sure already better then the next one ...

On that we can agree. Unless of course Zombie does the next one, in which case I could see nothing but improvement.

njdevs03champs
09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
After seeing it again, I give it a 8.

mr32
09-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I give it a 7.

scream_sayonara
09-05-2007, 03:39 AM
3 girls were topless, as opposed to 2 in the original. Not much difference.

are you serious? You get maybe a total of 3 seconds of nudity in the original, while you have consistently present nudity and overwhelming profanity in RZ's Halloween. Not to mention, besides that, that the sexual innuendo is off the charts, despite not being particularly well-executed.

"Oh, it's so warm." Give me a fucking break.

Sock
09-05-2007, 04:11 AM
are you serious? You get maybe a total of 3 seconds of nudity in the original, while you have consistently present nudity and overwhelming profanity in RZ's Halloween. Not to mention, besides that, that the sexual innuendo is off the charts, despite not being particularly well-executed.

Cursing and screwing is pretty much the full time schedule of the average teenager nowadays. Times have changed and having the charachters act as though it were still 1978 would have been a bit silly. Was there alot of nudity and cursing, maybe to the point of being excessive? Yes, but that really doesn't bother me. This is a movie for adults, it features adult content, I mean the R rating is there for a reason.

ragethorn
09-05-2007, 05:25 AM
I vote 7 out of 10. The acting just kills it. :notlisten:

Khan
09-05-2007, 06:15 AM
I didn't mind the acting, as an actor can't do much if they have crappy lines.

ragethorn
09-05-2007, 06:50 AM
I didn't mind the acting, as an actor can't do much if they have crappy lines.

Sorry man. As an actor, I can tell you, A LOT CAN BE DONE.

Malcolm's lines were so crappy and the only thing that can save it is delivery. But he had none.

Khan
09-05-2007, 06:56 AM
So it is possible to get the worst script ever and make it look good through stellar acting?

Brandon Real
09-05-2007, 09:02 AM
I went into the movie like many, not expecting anything or trying to compare it to the original. I wanted to enjoy the movie for what it was, and remember that it was a different take on the story. After I did those things, I really enjoyed the film. The only problem I had was that I used the original film as pacing for this film, so I felt the second part of the film was rushed. However, I'm not sure if it really was rushed because it was a different take on the movie. I think alittle more character development with the girls, including more stalking scenes would've helped, but overall I loved the new entry into the series.

The Dark Knight
09-06-2007, 11:40 AM

Todd
09-06-2007, 01:05 PM
It looks like about 72% of the voters here give this a 6 or higher, while 67% give it a 7 or better.
Obviously the people on this board who liked the movie far outnumber those who didn't.

Psych0ticNemes1s
09-06-2007, 01:24 PM
It looks like about 72% of the voters here give this a 6 or higher, while 67% give it a 7 or better.
Obviously the people on this board who liked the movie far outnumber those who didn't.

This is what leads me to question the reputability of the members here. :crazy:

Todd
09-06-2007, 01:30 PM
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arm pits.....:ANYWORD:

Psych0ticNemes1s
09-06-2007, 01:35 PM
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arm pits.....:ANYWORD:

Haha, clever. ;)

jaquen
09-06-2007, 01:36 PM

I really do think all the ridiculous support of this new film is just a combination of extreme, desperate gratitude that it wasn't another "Resurrection", and the joy some have at finally getting that truly brutal Michael that they've waited ages for. I don't hate the film, but it does not merit the amount of support it's getting at all, and I do wonder if in time, when everyone adapts, a little more objectivity will come into play. Otherwise I just don't get how something that strips away everything that made the original great, replacing it with a retelling that is so below the standard set in '78 it's laughable, can be lauded by some as a near perfect movie, and for some, on par with Halloween. :bigeyes:

Todd
09-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Haha, clever. ;)
It's all good.
If you didn't like the movie, you didn't.
Obviously this isn't a movie that everyone is going to love.

TheShape'78
09-06-2007, 01:38 PM

i hated that line. in fact i hated that entire scene.

-mitch-

Khan
09-06-2007, 01:50 PM

-mitch-

Zombie must have been watching porn when he wrote that scene.

Todd
09-06-2007, 03:01 PM

-mitch-
They were just kids screwing.
Did people expect the guy to quote Shakespeare or something?

MischievousSpirit
09-06-2007, 03:06 PM

-mitch-

Sounds like somebody needs to get laid to me! :bastard:

The Frightmaster
09-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Well as many members know on the RZ disscussion board I'm very against and appauled at all the over the top cussing, all the nudity and the stupid and pointless valgur actions and language in this movie. But I think this might be my last post on the subject because everytime I bring it up I get bashed by so many members that defend all the filfth in this movie. Here's my opinion on the subject, I want to go to a halloween movie to be scared and entertained not listen to some old man say he's gonna choke his chicken on some waitresses floppy tits.

jaquen
09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Well as many members know on the RZ disscussion board I'm very against and appauled at all the over the top cussing, all the nudity and the stupid and pointless valgur actions and language in this movie. But I think this might be my last post on the subject because everytime I bring it up I get bashed by so many members that defend all the filfth in this movie. Here's my opinion on the subject, I want to go to a halloween movie to be scared and entertained not listen to some old man say he's gonna choke his chicken on some waitresses floppy tits.

It's ironic that suddenly everyone who brings up the over the top vulgarity is being slaughtered by some, when that was the very thing the better Halloween sequels were NOT known for. A tit flash in Halloween is a far cry from some of the unnecessary nonsense in this flick, elements that were ALL Zombie, and very little "Halloween". I really like "The Devil's Reject", it's a ton better than the new Halloween, but Zombie hasn't learned yet that his very narrow sensibilities do not always work for every project. He "zombieized" Halloween so much that he robbed it completely of it's essence, save for a few chilling moments.

MyersFan75
09-06-2007, 03:27 PM
I give it a 5/10. Not too good, but not horrible.

The Frightmaster
09-06-2007, 03:34 PM
It's ironic that suddenly everyone who brings up the over the top vulgarity is being slaughtered by some, when that was the very thing the better Halloween sequels were NOT known for. A tit flash in Halloween is a far cry from some of the unnecessary nonsense in this flick, elements that were ALL Zombie, and very little "Halloween". I really like "The Devil's Reject", it's a ton better than the new Halloween, but Zombie hasn't learned yet that his very narrow sensibilities do not always work for every project. He "zombieized" Halloween so much that he robbed it completely of it's essence, save for a few chilling moments.

Well Said!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated all the 'unnessary nonsense' in that movie.

TheShape'78
09-06-2007, 03:55 PM
They were just kids screwing.
Did people expect the guy to quote Shakespeare or something?

no, but no one says that shit... it was just stupid. here is a novel idea, how about annie and paul didn't say anything. that would have been much better than "say you wanna fuck me... say it" and "it's so warm". when they said thay shit, i caught myself laughing cos it was just so dumb.

Sounds like somebody needs to get laid to me! :bastard:

yeah but your mom hasn't been by my house in some time, so what can i do? :bastard:

haha
j/k

-mitch-

Todd
09-06-2007, 04:00 PM
no, but no one says that shit... it was just stupid. here is a novel idea, how about annie and paul didn't say anything. that would have been much better than "say you wanna fuck me... say it" and "it's so warm". when they said thay shit, i caught myself laughing cos it was just so dumb.
-mitch-
Think back to your teenage years and tell me you never once said something silly while in the process of getting laid.

The Frightmaster
09-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Think back to your teenage years and tell me you never once said something silly while in the process of getting laid.

Well he doesn't have to think back very far.

TheShape'78
09-06-2007, 04:02 PM

i'm in my teenage years (i'm 18), and i have never once said something that lame. of course it is "warm", it shouldn't have been a surprise to him. i may have thought some stupid stuff, but i don't say it out loud.

Well he doesn't have to think back very far.

nope not very far at all.

-mitch-

The Frightmaster
09-06-2007, 04:05 PM

Well he could of said, "I might just choke my chicken on that waitresses floppy tits." God the language in this movie bothered me.

TheShape'78
09-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Well he could of said, "I might just choke my chicken on that waitresses floppy tits." God the language in this movie bothered me.

hahaha. i didn't think so at the time, but in retrospect that line is quite funny. it didn't need to be in a halloween film though but it made some sense w/ the character, but ultimately didn't need to be there.

-mitch-

jaquen
09-06-2007, 04:08 PM

I'm sure plenty of people have said the cheesy shit Padme and Anakin spewed at one another, but that doesn't mean it makes for convincing or particularly wise film dialogue.

The Frightmaster
09-06-2007, 04:13 PM
hahaha. i didn't think so at the time, but in retrospect that line is quite funny. it didn't need to be in a halloween film though but it made some sense w/ the character, but ultimately didn't need to be there.

-mitch-

A lot of the language didn't belong in a halloween movie. I mean I don't mind some cussing in a movie but all that cussing and vulgar language and actions is just to much for me to handle. And it has no business in a halloween movie. Like I said before I go to a halloween movie to be scared and entertained not listen to some old guy say he's gonna brain fuck someone. That Ronnie White character was just to over the top.

TheShape'78
09-06-2007, 04:16 PM
A lot of the language didn't belong in a halloween movie. I mean I don't mind some cussing in a movie but all that cussing and vulgar language and actions is just to much for me to handle. And it has no business in a halloween movie.

SCREAM.

SCREAM is a good example as far as how much cussing i wouldn't mind in a horror film. SCREAM dropped some F-bombs and other cuss words, but not to the point where it was annoying and ultimately pointless.

-mitch-

The Frightmaster
09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
SCREAM.

SCREAM is a good example as far as how much cussing i wouldn't mind in a film. SCREAM dropped some F-bombs and other cuss words, but not to the point where it was annoying and ultimately pointless.

-mitch-

Yes, Agreed! :nodsmile:

BONES
12-22-2007, 07:54 PM
I'll go with an 8 it left a bit to be desierd

Danny Strode
12-22-2007, 08:42 PM
I gave a 7. And that was the theatrical version.

njdevs03champs
12-22-2007, 11:09 PM
The more I watch it on DVD, the more I enjoy it.

tama_drummer91
12-23-2007, 12:26 PM
I adore this film. Its so dirty its beautiful. The best remake I have seen yet of any film. Perfect 10 for me.

tama_drummer91
12-23-2007, 12:29 PM
The more I watch it on DVD, the more I enjoy it.

I agree. A few little nifty scenes were cut in the theatrical version that I really like a lot; especially the scenes that are kind of black and white with just close ups of young Mikey with Loomis talking over them about how Michael was changing for the worse. That really made me feel like Mikey was going nuts and becoming pure evil. In the theatrical version I didn't feel that. Its amazing what 30 seconds can do to a film.

Khan
12-23-2007, 12:37 PM
The Thing is the best remake ever, probably the only one that is widely regarded as better then the original.

Dark Empire
12-23-2007, 01:18 PM
I finally saw the movie, wasn't able to go to the theaters. It was OK, but I wasn't amazed to say the truth. I felt like things went a little too fast.

The Dark Shape
12-23-2007, 01:31 PM
I like the film less and less the more I see it. Sigh.

Danny Strode
12-23-2007, 01:47 PM

That's the way I'm starting to feel.

slasher
12-23-2007, 01:54 PM
I give it a 6. It was enjoyable and I gave it a 6 because it had Michael in it. It wasnt bad but it wasnt good either.
It was in between.

Khan
12-23-2007, 01:55 PM

If I watched it again, I would feel the same way.

Kinick
12-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I agree that about liking it less. Mainly due to the fact that I can see more and more of how it could have been vastly improved, for a somewhat enjoyable experience at least. Furthermore, when I re-watched the Workprint (although very flawed too) I wish the music and extended scenes had remained. Michael escaping, Laurie's chase, cut shots of Michael, the basement scene - they all annoy me now because of how I enjoyed them in the WP, probably due to the rocking music that got you behind it. But, I got a feeling when Rob tried to cut down the character of Michael, he done that wrong!

I tried to sit through the Unrated cut last night and couldn't - had to watch it in two parts.

Worthystevens
12-23-2007, 07:13 PM
After seeing the DC, I raised my original score of an 8 to a 9. Immensely enjoyable and criminally underrated (moreso by the non-Halloween fanboys).

Revenant
12-24-2007, 12:02 AM
All in all I've seen both versions and can honestly give it a 7. I just really think him breaking his chains and killing his escorts to be better than the guards stupid enough to go into his room.

Revenant

JOeKER
12-24-2007, 05:42 AM
cough... ten... cough.

Khan
12-24-2007, 06:00 AM
I give it an 11, with the original getting a six.:bastard:

L-TownHalloween
12-24-2007, 06:06 AM
I give it a 7.
It was pretty good...although I expected it to be better.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-26-2007, 08:12 PM
The Thing is the best remake ever, probably the only one that is widely regarded as better then the original.
Many consider Hitchcock's 1956 remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much to be superior to his 1935 version. I don't agree, personally, but it's a pretty popular opinion.

Scarface is another extremely popular remake. And Cape Fear. And The Fly. Not to mention For a Fistful of Dollars, as Spaghetti-Western Yojimbo remake. Again, I don't think these are necessarily better than the originals...but they're certainly more popular than most remakes.

Personally, I thought The Ring was better than Ringu...just for replacing the psychic character with a skeptic. That made a huge difference, and made the film seem a bit more grounded...less pat.

So some remakes are good...and some are downright great. While many are steaming piles of useless shit. Which can be said of pretty much any grouping of films by type or genre.

And for the record, on a Halloween-specific scale of 1 to 10...with H:R being a 1 (since there's no "0") and H1 being a 10...I gave Zombie's Halloween a 7. Nowhere near the original (which I never expected it to be), but better than most of the crap that came after it.

BONES
12-27-2007, 01:30 AM
I think the main problem is the word REMAKE there are way to many of them out there it seems like almost no one can come up with an Original thought they all want to start with someone els's movie and then "Make it there own"

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Granted, that's become a far more prevalent trend in recent years, but remakes have been with us for a very, very long time. And strictly original or not, remakes (like any other film) can be good, bad, or mediocre. And of course, one could argue that even most non-remake films are far from original. A slasher film that blatantly rips off the formula or obvious story elements of a previous slasher film, for example, isn't really that much more original than a slasher remake. And of course, that goes for all other genres, as well. And even extends to inter-genre influences. One could make the argument that Star Wars borrows so extensively from The Hidden Fortress that it is hardly an original film. Of course, in these cases, the films benefit, at least in the public mind, from having different titles, and thus not facing the remake stigma.

At the end of the day, there are a few startlingly original films, and then, there's everything else. When Hollywood execs say they're always looking for something "original," they don't mean original. Original ideas are unproven at the box office. What they really want is an original twist on a tried-and-true formula. For example, a common Hollywood equation for "originality" might go something like this: "Take the standard Spencer-and-Tracy romantic comedy formula that we've been reusing for decades, insert gay man in leading role, and voila...an original romantic comedy."

So you basically have to wade through a lot of extremely unoriginal films in order to find something you've never seen before. Or in cases like Star Wars or Reservoir Dogs (which borrows so heavily from Lung Fu Fong Wan, it isn't even funny), an original directorial vision, or a change of genre can be refreshing in itself, even if the formular is familiar. And of course, sequels are essentially as guilty as remakes when it comes to rehashing old ideas. The opportunity always exists in sequels to go outside the box and do something truly fresh, but the sequels that actually do are extremely rare.

I think a good slogan for Hollywood at this point might be: "It's all been done. So let's do it again, and try to keep it interesting."

BONES
12-28-2007, 02:14 AM
I gave it an 8 to start with but after looking at is as RZ's spin and nothing deaper than that I gave it a 9 H1 being the only 10