PDA

View Full Version : Which half did you like more?

Pages : [1] 2

mcilroga
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Might as well make this thread.

So, as most know, there are two portions of RZH; the first half with Michael Myers as a child/the murders/the sanitarium, and the second half that takes place 15 years later with a teenage Laurie Strode and her friends. They really base as two completely different parts, hence the question. Which half do you prefer and why?

Thanatos
08-31-2007, 01:09 PM
When he's adult. The childhood part is like Halloween 3 to me. It doesn't exist.

:D

Deckard
08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
I find this really hard to vote on because I liked it as a whole. The second half was great in its ways because it was a new perspective on the original's basic characters...I suppose since you've given me no choice and I just love the original so much that I just like watching the characters again, the second half...but really I loved the first half too. Tell you what, I'll vote for the second half since I'm sure most will pick the first because the second half was "just SO TERRIBLE"...lol. I kid, I kid.

Myers Insurance
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Technically, I consider the movie in third's: the first third being the child, the second being the sanitarium (child and adult), and the third being the remake.

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
i loved the second half this first just seemed...boring to me... but i really got into the second and was surprised by alot of what happened like with annie... and then michael taking his own mask off but yeah i wish the second half would have been longer honestly

Stoferman87
08-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Uh I picked the 2nd half because I really loved it even though it seemed rushed, I still loved the first half too, I like the "love hurts" scene alot and Debrahs Relationship with her son...

MischievousSpirit
08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Gawd.. I liked it all as a whole, so it's hard to choose. But I will. I liked the first half because it brought something new, and interesting to me. Little Mikey Myers was brutal! I loved it!

Outsider
08-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Despised it altogether.

HannibalBEATNGU
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Accidentally voted for the first, but the second half was better.

Michael's family life was horrible, that scene in the beginning at the Myers house is probably the worst writing in the film.

Atleast the second half had some intensity, and Rob did a decent job at making the Strode's a likeable, typical family rather than the over the top trashy style the film is full of.

cribking75
08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
If I had to choose I guess the first even though the super cheesy scene with him in the oversized mask in the hallway is in this part. It seemed like this part as well as many others were taken from the amateur filmakers on this website. The suspense in the 2nd half was almost nonexistent even though the plot was different.

DarknessBDJM
08-31-2007, 04:40 PM
Went with my free ticket otherwise I wouldn't have gone. The second half had the best scenes and more Halloween atmosphere even though both halves were equally sub-par. The back story might have worked in a non-Halloween film, but it was just so wrong in a Halloween film. The second half at least had traditional Halloween elements, even if they were on a low level when considering the rest of the series.

MyersDisciple
08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
The first actwas ok but more graohic than I was prepared fo0r. Daeg did an excellent and convincing job as Michael.
The second act (Smithgrove) was alright as we finally fet to see see Loomis initially dealing with Michael and set up the relationship they would have later in the third act.
Third act was probably the best once he got going he wasnt stopping for nobody!

Loomisgreat
08-31-2007, 06:14 PM
The second half is much more "Halloween" traditional than the first half. No offense to the first half, it's not normal for Michael to talk, much less cuss.

renee30152
08-31-2007, 06:36 PM
I haven't seen it yet (will tommorrow) but I am thinking I am going to like the whole thing. :D

shoe1985
08-31-2007, 06:36 PM
I consider the second act to be the remake part. D, maybe you should have made it more clear what was the first and second act.

Todd
08-31-2007, 06:40 PM
There were scenes from each act of the movie that I liked, so it's hard for me to make a call here.
I guess the pre-escape from Smiths Grove stuff was better, but the remake part was good, too.

hallowedPumpkin
08-31-2007, 07:04 PM
to me i think the first part was the best because the second part was watered down perhaps because of time retraints or with the tought of a sequel to help surport it more?

ten31
08-31-2007, 07:25 PM
The entire flick worked for me.

mcilroga
08-31-2007, 07:27 PM
I consider the second act to be the remake part. D, maybe you should have made it more clear what was the first and second act.

Or you could read that one sentence in my short first post that clearly outlines what differs the two. ;)

Madman myers
08-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Why would Michael care if Loomis failed him. Loomis did tell him he had to move on in his last visit with him in Smiths Grove.

FooFighters
08-31-2007, 07:59 PM
I didn't really care for the whole childhood thing, so I picked the second half.

Shane
08-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Second half for me. I loved Zombie's take on some of the redone scenes.
And adult Micheal was spectacular.

Sam Loomis922
08-31-2007, 10:45 PM
I liked the first half more. I like the whole movie. It doesn't change how I view the original Halloween but to me it's an interesting take by RZ. I loved robs previous films but I hope he moves on to more original things then remakes.

Back to the first half, i'm probably going to get crap for this but I really thought Sheri Moon did a good job and love the relationship between her and Micheal. I thought she was pretty bad in HO1C and the devils rejects but she improved. Also I loved the early stuff with loomis but the ending was horrible, the workprint ending was better to me. again I don't consider this to be an offical expalination of why Micheal is the way he is in the first but RZ made a film I enjoyed to watch. I love the halloween films and I really wanted to see Micheal and Loomis again and it was alright. I think if they do a real halloween 9 they should bring back loomis with mcdowell playing him but I doubt that'll happen but I cant wait for the series to move forward.

HannibalBEATNGU
08-31-2007, 11:37 PM
Sheri was terrific as Baby in both Firefly films conveying a range of varying emotions in TDR, she was good here except when she slipped back into the Baby role, even changing her voice for the scenes involving excessive vulgarity to sound like Baby.

ragethorn
08-31-2007, 11:45 PM
It's tough but the first side because it was fresh and some scenes were down right disturbing.

Zombie
09-01-2007, 12:10 AM
First act was shit.

Second act was rushed and had little character development. But it was probably the best of the two...though that isn't saying much.

dbzguy
09-01-2007, 02:46 AM
I cant really decide because I liked both parts equally well just thought the second half was a bit too quick....

shoe1985
09-01-2007, 04:22 AM
Or you could read that one sentence in my short first post that clearly outlines what differs the two. ;)

The first actwas ok but more graohic than I was prepared fo0r. Daeg did an excellent and convincing job as Michael.
The second act (Smithgrove) was alright as we finally fet to see see Loomis initially dealing with Michael and set up the relationship they would have later in the third act.
Third act was probably the best once he got going he wasnt stopping for nobody!

Read that post, it ruined the poll for that person. A few people were going by 3 acts.

I prefer to think of it as 2 acts because you get the prequel and than you get the remake part.

I am a little shocked by this poll though. Everyone I have talked to outside of here says the same thing. The first part worked, the second part didn't work.

Oh well, good day mates.

mcilroga
09-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Read that post, it ruined the poll for that person. A few people were going by 3 acts.

I prefer to think of it as 2 acts because you get the prequel and than you get the remake part.

I am a little shocked by this poll though. Everyone I have talked to outside of here says the same thing. The first part worked, the second part didn't work.

Oh well, good day mates.

Part 1 = Child Myers.
Part 2 = Adult Myers.

That's the easiest way to segregate the two parts.

...As I stated. If MyersDisciple got that wrong, that's him not reading the first post. haha

Ana-Matronic
09-01-2007, 07:13 AM
The first...it felt innovative and just allowed me to feel emotion towards the character of michael...instead of just a machine. He and his mother had a great relationship and I just felt for him when he said "I love your hair when it's curly...its pretty" I just thought it was a great chemistry between them. The relationship...id have liked to see the scene where they communicate when he is an adult and then kills herself.

JamesHeil
09-01-2007, 07:25 AM
I choose the 2nd half because I enjoyed it more with Laurie, Annie & Lynda but don't get me wrong I liked the 1st half too :)

BrianG
09-01-2007, 08:19 AM
i loved the second half this first just seemed...boring to me... but i really got into the second and was surprised by alot of what happened like with annie... and then michael taking his own mask off but yeah i wish the second half would have been longer honestly
I TOTALLY agree-tho I feel as though the second half was rushed. I really liked both halves, but the later part (remake) did it for me. I loved what they did with the character of Annie, and Danielle Harris practically made the movie. I loved Kristina Klebe's Lynda, but I feel as though her part was short lived. Scout Taylor Compton really sold a modern day Laurie. She did not come across as trying too hard, and her chase scenes with Michael were choice! Tyler Mane was a pretty good Michael Myers, he looked pretty bad ass. Dr. Loomis was good, but I'm not sure I cared for him considering Michael a friend at the sanitarium. Sherri Moon Zombie as Deborah Myers was fantastic, and her performance made the first half of the film. I also really liked Judith Myers. I went in with no expectations, so I really wasn't dissapointed. I took the film for what it was, and it was enjoyable to watch.

snickrep
09-01-2007, 08:51 AM
I guess the first half because it was new and original even though I don't agree with all of what zombie did. The second half is just a shortened remake of the original that barely shares any resemblance.

Myers Insurance
09-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I like them both, but the second half was more rushed, so I voted for the first half.

Rich
09-01-2007, 09:17 AM
The first half was great. The second have was a steaming pile of...well...you know the rest.

Villain612
09-01-2007, 09:17 AM
The first half definitely.

It realistically explores Michael as a psychopath, and does an excellent job.

The second half is so rushed and fast-paced. You never get a footing for the story. It almost kills the film.

theoutfieldguy
09-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Gawd.. I liked it all as a whole, so it's hard to choose. But I will. I liked the first half because it brought something new, and interesting to me. Little Mikey Myers was brutal! I loved it!

Yep.Same with me.I loved the first half of the movie which showcased the little Shape gone mad.The 2nd half was a bit too rushed and just a compilation of killings,IMO.

DarknessBDJM
09-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Actually I have to amend my answer after seeing both versions a second time after having gotten all my disgust and shock out of my system. The second half did feel more like Halloween with the atmosphere, but the night scenes up until Michael starts going after Laurie were quite poor as was adult Michael in the asylum (which could be considered a separate part of the movie.. The child half was done better as far at plot goes, though it did not feel like a Halloween movie at all.

Patrick1679
09-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I enjoyed the whole movie. I voted for the second half but I enjoyed the first just as much. I just loved the way Tyler portrayed Michael. He was GREAT! The mask was solid. You didn't see his eyes that often. Most of the time all you saw was black.

Another killer scene. When Laurie goes over to the house and sees Annie on the floor crying. Laurie goes to the other room and the front door slowly closes and out comes Michael walking out slowly...AWESOME! Then he plays with Paul alittle. Great scene.

WhiteZombie
09-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I liked both alot, But I loved seeing adult Myers going around wrecking shit. I'll say 2nd half.

Worthystevens
09-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I honestly can't decide. The first half was very well done, but the second had Kristina.

Don't make me choose. :(

Dr_Loomis02
09-01-2007, 12:04 PM
This poll is biased. I like both "halves" equally. Its one movie that rocked. I don't see it as two parts. I love the whole damn movie. Where's that option on the poll?

mmyers78
09-01-2007, 12:28 PM
ugh i really hate to choose because i loved both parts equally, but i chose the 1st part becuase it was something new and exciting, and i really liked hte fact that they show what michael did when he was a kid.

The Frightmaster
09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
I thought the second half was much better with Michael finally breaking out of Smiths Grove. I thought the first half was extremely to long. Especially when he was in Smiths Grove it felt like it dragged on and on. The most time and focus should of been the second half because I feel it was the most important of the movie.

Resurrection
09-01-2007, 01:33 PM
so does annie die in this one?

The Frightmaster
09-01-2007, 01:35 PM
so does annie die in this one?

I guess she eventually did. I mean she was pretty messed up. But who knows we never saw her actually die.

MyersFan75
09-01-2007, 01:37 PM
I voted the second half, because while I didn't really enjoy the film too much, it was better than the horrid first half. I hated act one/two.

Roswell
09-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I liked both parts, but the remake portion of the film was better. I liked how it copied JC's film just enough, but also did its own thing and switched it up a bit.

MyersFan927
09-01-2007, 06:01 PM
The second half. I wasn't too crazy about the expose of Michael's childhood.

renee30152
09-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Well I liked the second part but it was WAY WAY too rushed for my part with the scenes going from one scene to another to another way too quickly. It goes from meeting them to killing them instead of expanding on the characters a little bit.
I liked the first part because it showed you what a crappy childhood he had and the kill scenes were awesome, but I did feel it was too drawn out. This part should have been quicker and the second part longer.
Overall I thought it was a good movie, nowhere near the orginal, but a good movie notherless and I am planning on buying the special edition dvd.

TheShape'78
09-01-2007, 08:37 PM
well i can't vote cos i like things in both. i like the beginning all the way through the sanitarium, and then when we get to the remake portion i stop caring. i like where michael is carrying laurie, and then i like everything from laurie waking up in the myers house on to the end credits. so you can see my complication.

-mitch-

Silverpsycho
09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I like the first half because it felt new, fresh, exciting and Daeg Faerch was a good choice. I enjoyed the second half as well but it just felt a little rushed...with an exception to long drawn out ending.

Cereal Killer
09-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Neither... it's about even on both ends.

The real Shape
09-02-2007, 03:19 PM
The first half I did like..but I felt it was TOO LONG. I liked the second part better, but wish it could of been 15/20 minutes longer.

Danny Strode
09-02-2007, 03:34 PM
To me, it's really hard. I liked both parts, I thought it was really interesting to show Michael "growing up", because looking at the original now (no offense), that movie just seemed to leave a lot to be answered.

I really liked the second half too, and how much it was close to the original - down to the dialogue and everything. I could've done without a lot of the nudity though.

Khan
09-02-2007, 05:58 PM
The first half.

Icebreaker_8605
09-02-2007, 06:08 PM
My interest was the prequel part. I would say the first half...I mean both parts were all right to me, although the remake half, I felt, was faster paced; kinda rushed through. I think RZ made a decent attempt overall for both parts.

viperswat
09-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I loved the first half of this movie, kid Michael was much more effective for me than the 7-foot-tall Michael who doesn't talk.

LoomisKnight
09-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I am shocked and quite frankly, disappointed that so many fans here liked the first half of this movie better than the second. :question:

Halloween was about evil that lived in a normal home within a normal family until if finally broke free on the darkest night of the year. Rob Zombie's Halloween is a story of a murderer that is created out of social circumstance, he is almost portrayed as the victim. I would have loved this movie had it not been for the first 45 mins.

RevengeOfLaurie
09-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Wow, it's tied at 42//42 since I voted. lol.
I said that I liked the first half, only because it explained a few things that were crucial to realizing why he turned out the way he was.
Boy was he a very violent little boy, haha.

RevengeOfLaurie
09-03-2007, 06:05 PM
My interest was the prequel part. I would say the first half...I mean both parts were all right to me, although the remake half, I felt, was faster paced; kinda rushed through. I think RZ made a decent attempt overall for both parts.

I definately agree with you! I felt like the 2nd half was just too fast. IT seemed like Lynda died immediately, haha.

WhiteZombie
09-03-2007, 06:07 PM
I am shocked and quite frankly, disappointed that so many fans here liked the first half of this movie better than the second. :question:

Halloween was about evil that lived in a normal home within a normal family until if finally broke free on the darkest night of the year. Rob Zombie's Halloween is a story of a murderer that is created out of social circumstance, he is almost portrayed as the victim. I would have loved this movie had it not been for the first 45 mins.

Yeah in original it was. This wasint the original. It was Rob Zombies vision, and he gave a backstory.

*wanted*
09-30-2007, 03:15 PM
in the rob zombie firlm i prefaird the second half purly becasue things seems more firmilar to me....odviouly as im a huge fan threw the whole firm i was compairing it to the orginla and what they did differently and so on...
at one point near the end of the film my friend turned to me and sed this part is form the orginnal... haha i didnt bother to explane what other parts had been...

kooshdidude
10-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I can't vote.. i cant decide. I love the classic Halloween story, by which i mean the remake part of the movie, but i really enjoyed the prequel bit.. i think it was because it was something new.. something i hadn't seen before and didnt know what was going to happen. You could really sense Zombie's ideas coming through more in this part and Daeg was excellent. The remake seemed very rushed, as i feared it would be when i heard it would be a preqeul and a remake, but i did enjoy it. hmmmn... its tricky. lol

Hallow's Eve
10-02-2007, 04:49 AM
It's a tough choice because the first half of the film is very original and the young boy Daeg did a great job as young Michael. But, Adult Michael is why I love these films. And this one had a great Shape. Seeing the scene where he comes back home as an adult and finds the mask and puts it on was very exciting because I was like "Yes, now the real fun begins!"

hOTKILLERsuNday
10-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Despite liking the who film I voted the first half pure because it is new material were as the second half from Laurie dropping off the keys on is old material made new. But the whole film was great and not geat like H8 were its the excitement of watching a Halloween at the cinemas again but a genuin love for the film the stylistic choices, sounds, narrative and structure.

captainoneliner
10-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I liked the first half better, but this isn't a fair question to ask fans of the original Halloween, because part of it's new fresh stuff which I'd say a good number of us liked and wanted to see, and the rest was a remake of something that a lot of us consider sacred. So to me it's pretty obvious which option most people will pick there. I'd like to see what a bunch of people who have only seen the remake would say to this.. a lot of the rest of us can't help but be a little biased about what the better part of the remake is.

Patrick1679
10-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I like the whole movie. I don't look at it as "2 halves."

Were there some things that could have been done better? Sure. But all in all I enjoyed the movie. It had many elements that I enjoyed from the first 2 Halloweens that all the sequels following lacked.

ThornMember83
10-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I like the first half of the movie best. I was never a fan much of them explaining why Myers does what he does, but if they were going to do it they did a good job with it. The second half it good but it all just seems kind of rushed to me while it is good I think if it was just a little slower paced it would have seemed better.

hall-o-ween
10-06-2007, 02:07 PM
I personally enjoyed the movie as a whole, although I am partial to the second half. I am a big fan of the original and I have always wondered why Michael came back to Haddonfield when he did. This movie clearly brought his background into play, but I got bored at times with the first half. The second half seemed a bit rushed, but I enjoyed it more.

renee30152
10-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I also like the background information though I agree that it was a bit drawn out and the second half rushed. They should have made the first half shorter and the second longer. Can't wait until it comes out on DVD.

RageInACage
02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
i prefer the first half just because it has more explanation as to why michael ends up being the way he is as an adult. im also more partial to psychotic kids as opposed to phsychotic adults

Michaela_Myers
02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
The first part of the movie feels like a Rob Zombie movie. The second feels like a Halloween movie. I like the second half better, just because I like Halloween more than I like Rob Zombie's movies.

MyersFan28
02-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I liked the first half because he explored Michael's past.But overall I enjoy the entire film as a remake.

commonkid911
02-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I thought Daeg was awesome. Although even though Will Sandin was not in H1 that long, he was great. That face he makes...priceless.

SlasherBoi
08-27-2008, 08:30 AM
I perfer the first half being as thats where the original material is

Pandaz
08-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Neither half was spectacular. The extensive prequel portion was way too long, and I was pretty bored by it. The second half was rushed as a result of the lengthy first half, and there was just about no suspense or character development. I chose the second half. It felt more traditional and Danielle Harris was in it. :)

spindrift68
08-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Neither half was spectacular. The extensive prequel portion was way too long, and I was pretty bored by it. The second half was rushed as a result of the lengthy first half, and there was just about no suspense or character development. I chose the second half. It felt more traditional and Danielle Harris was in it. :)

Agreed.

I thought it really dragged until Michael was locked up in Smith's Grove.

JamieLloydFan
08-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I liked parts of both. all in all I dont really like the film. after repeat viewings it no longer tickles my fancy. it will be a while till i watch it again.

Danny Strode
08-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I chose the second half. It felt more traditional and Danielle Harris was in it. :)

Well... DUH!!!! :laugh:

NYCKing87
08-27-2008, 01:56 PM
I like both halfs personally.

JOeKER
09-05-2008, 06:31 AM
I love the first half. I think it's mainly due to the scenes with Michael and Loomis and the development of their relationship. This could also be a reason as to why I love the original workprint ending so much. The first half of the film makes the main character (excluding Michael) seem like Loomis.

DistantJ
10-05-2008, 06:57 AM
While most of the reviews liked the beginning of the film but didn't enjoy the rest, I personally enjoyed the "retelling of the original" portion of the movie the most. So much nostalgia from Halloween, but it was also great to see a proper slasher movie again, which the second part of the film basically is.

I really enjoyed both parts of the film, though. Dispite what a lot of people say about the pacing and the way it's essentially two movies, I think it had it's own story to tell, the story of Michael and Dr. Loomis, with Laurie's own story coming in a bit later this time.

OriginalKiller
10-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I wish the neither of them exsisted

The Devil's Reject
10-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I wish the neither of them exsisted

RZH wasn't that bad atleast it didn't have busta or tyra in it. There was also no thorn or middle age JLC.

Danny Strode
10-05-2008, 04:03 PM
RZH wasn't that bad atleast it didn't have busta or tyra in it. There was also no thorn or middle age JLC.

No, it didn't have that. Instead it had a flat-ass cast. My boobs are bigger than the majority of the cast. Except Danielle, of course.

Todd 78
10-05-2008, 04:09 PM
No, it didn't have that. Instead it had a flat-ass cast. My boobs are bigger than the majority of the cast. Except Danielle, of course.

Allways Nice to see a rational reason to dislike a movie.

Lack of Tits is a great reason

Danny Strode
10-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Allways Nice to see a rational reason to dislike a movie.

Lack of Tits is a great reason

Is this sarcasm?

Todd 78
10-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Yes it was

Khan
10-05-2008, 04:37 PM
While most of the reviews liked the beginning of the film but didn't enjoy the rest, I personally enjoyed the "retelling of the original" portion of the movie the most. So much nostalgia from Halloween, but it was also great to see a proper slasher movie again, which the second part of the film basically is.

Yes, it is so great to see an entire film rushed and compressed into around 45 minutes, with characters revealed only enough so they can be killed off (remember Halloween 5?).

duhderrick
10-05-2008, 05:46 PM
2nd. The girls made the movie.

tmlfan4life
10-05-2008, 05:54 PM
My vote was for the 2nd half, because I thought the scenes with Michael as a kid and an adult at the begining in Smith's Grove took to long.

Torgo
10-05-2008, 05:54 PM
I like movies that have two distinctive halves. Like this and From Dusk 'Till Dawn.

I like both parts. I'm a big fan of bad ass Myers so I'd say I prefer the second half.

I look at it as two short movies in one.

theoutfieldguy
10-05-2008, 08:36 PM
First half.For the simple fact that no one in the second half could act worth a damn.

jmb_052
10-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, it is so great to see an entire film rushed and compressed into around 45 minutes, with characters revealed only enough so they can be killed off (remember Halloween 5?).

Can you EVER let anyone have their own opinion? Seriously. All you do is shit on anyone who doesn't suck the teet of the original. When did it become against the law to like something? He didn't even say anyting bad about the original, which aparently has been place upon a pedestal that is out of reach of any movie, ever.

All he said was that he liked the second half more than the first, and here comes the Halloween police to tell someone what they should like. Give me a break.

blacksymbiote
10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
The first half. The 2nd didn't really seem like a half to me. It looked so rushed just because Zombie didn't want to deal too much with the rest of the movie.

leem6453
10-08-2008, 03:53 AM
There were parts of both halves that I hated, but I'll have to say the 2nd.

You_Let_Him_Out
10-08-2008, 10:07 AM
The first half was more tolerable, even with how screwed up Michael's backstory was. Second half was just embarrassing.

NYCKing87
10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Though I didn't have a problem with the first half, I liked the second better.

I will say however, that because the first half took a while it made the second feel a bit compressed.

hallobabe25
10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I really didn't like this movie at all but I liked the 2nd half better because the first half was so boring and so long and completely different than the original.

Scissorhands
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
First half.. Michael killing the bully with the tree branch was incredible

hallobabe25
10-08-2008, 04:57 PM
First half.. Michael killing the bully with the tree branch was incredible

hahahahaha I did love that part but I still like the 2nd half better but thats just me.

Ivan
10-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Definitely the second. The first just shouldn't be there at all.

Darth Revan
10-16-2008, 07:48 AM
I liked the second half a tad beter than the first. But I believe the first half was essential to the whole movie.

haddonfield78
10-24-2008, 06:22 AM
i liked the second half better because it was closer to me leaving the theater.

marylanddude79
10-24-2008, 06:28 AM
I think the second half. Although nothing can replace or match up to the original/

GAMER456
10-24-2008, 06:59 PM
2nd half ftw! I just broke the tie breaker, and I personally liked the intense action the second half had. Plus, it's the Michael Myers in costume that I'm familiar with.

October31
11-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Wow, its in dead heat right now!

GrimOctober
11-03-2008, 10:14 PM
DRAW!

I voted for the second half because Laurie's sprawling chase scene was better than the entire first half, which was a bunch of greasy haired creeps saying creep like things.

thorn103090
11-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Neither :nodsmile:

TimStrode
11-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I love the movie, but I think it would have been better if it was a prequel and they left out the second half. That being said the second half is my favorite because of Laurie Strode and the gang. But There was not enough of that in there, for me anyway. Two movies to me would have been better like the childhood and then a whole seperate film about him going after Laurie, but all in all I love the movie.

Lord Hearteater
11-08-2008, 04:57 AM
The sheer relentless brutality of the final half hour is what pushes the film over the top....but it's the first half that really makes the setting. Indeed, a hard choice, but I went with the second half, since I would be scared of meeting Tyler's Mikey, and would be able to easily dispatch Daeg's Mikey.

RZH2fan
12-19-2008, 07:25 AM
The 2nd picked up the action!

Danny Strode
12-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Picked it up and rushed it. ;)

DoomsdayFAN
12-20-2008, 09:05 PM
I liked the FIRST HALF better. More original. The second half was a HUGE mess. It was really lame. But the first half, with young Michael was alreight. It was the better half of a mediocre film.

When I watched RZH last, I couldnt help but think of how The First half (delving more into Michael's childhood story, minus all the stupid white trash crap) would make a good mini series on TV. Sort of Chronicals Michaels early years before he kills Judith.

Nemesis1835
04-16-2009, 02:45 AM
i like the second part cause scout tylor compton is fucking hot and because i love how he kills his victims but i still liked it when he was a kid cause it explains more....

Slasher Fan
04-16-2009, 05:38 AM
I liked the FIRST HALF better. More original. The second half was a HUGE mess. It was really lame. But the first half, with young Michael was alreight. It was the better half of a mediocre film.

Totally agreed.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-16-2009, 12:19 PM
i like the second part cause scout tylor compton is fucking hot

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a very special guest here with us, and I hope you'll all join me in extending a warm welcome to...Mr. Ben Tramer!

TheThirdHalf
04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a very special guest here with us, and I hope you'll all join me in extending a warm welcome to...Mr. Ben Tramer!

Hahaha. I think though, that in this circumstance, he should have spelled it 'Hawt' :p

Black Sunshine
04-16-2009, 01:21 PM
If u mean Danielle Harris... then i want the Lower half... ya know!

as for the movie I liked the first half over the second only because i knew what the second half would be about.

Lord Thurisaz
04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I liked the second half more. It was like JCH, but not entirely, and was really intense. I'd almost call this film an "Action Horror", seeing as how intense everything is towards the end.

Five by Five
04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
I felt the first half was more fleshed out, with the second half seeming to be a little less fleshed out and more rushed. There could have been a lot more dialogue and scenes for the second half, but overall I like the finished product. I personally like the second half, simply because I liked having the traditional characters.

TheThirdHalf
04-16-2009, 07:17 PM
They were all 'traditional' in name only

MichaelFox
04-20-2009, 11:06 PM
I like the first half better. The story is very detailed from the very beginning. Because from the first original Halloween, its mainly what the new second half is referring. We haven't seen what really happened to the young michael and RZ's version explains it all. So, I like the first half which absolutely brings the entire details from all the rest of Halloween's series. The 'What Really Happened?'

Five by Five
04-21-2009, 09:13 AM
I like the first half better. The story is very detailed from the very beginning. Because from the first original Halloween, its mainly what the new second half is referring. We haven't seen what really happened to the young michael and RZ's version explains it all. So, I like the first half which absolutely brings the entire details from all the rest of Halloween's series. The 'What Really Happened?'

Well the original series already has a WHAT REALLY HAPPENED. Its detailed throughout the comic series, which is canon for that continuity.

Halloweenfan80
04-23-2009, 06:57 AM
The Second Half

Art_of_Horror
05-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I liked the first half more.

Rich
05-14-2009, 01:15 PM
The second half was a little bit of a let down. We didn't have the scene behind the hedges or the scene in the closet or the scene in the neighbors' yard. Those were my three favorite scenes in the original Halloween.

I really liked the first half though. Rob's take on Michael's backstory is interesting.

Five by Five
05-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Bc Rob had to tred through JC land as to not piss people off.

Nemesis1835
05-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Ok In The Beggining Of RZH Halloween When Debrah Tells Judith To Go Up Stairs And To Get Michael You Can See Her Star Up The Steps Wich IS Right Outside The Left Of The Kitchen Door......But Wait......... When It IS Night Time And DebrahCalls Judith Downstairs T TAke Michael Out Tricker Treating The Steps Are Right By The Outside Door...

Have Any One OF Yins Noticed That Yet?

What Do ou Think?

Oh and I prefer the first half cause it ha more of a backround on michaels life...

man_in_black82
05-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Ok In The Beggining Of RZH Halloween When Debrah Tells Judith To Go Up Stairs And To Get Michael You Can See Her Star Up The Steps Wich IS Right Outside The Left Of The Kitchen Door......But Wait......... When It IS Night Time And DebrahCalls Judith Downstairs T TAke Michael Out Tricker Treating The Steps Are Right By The Outside Door...

Have Any One OF Yins Noticed That Yet?

What Do ou Think?

I did notice but I am thinking it is either a flub or the house was much different than the original house and it could have had two stair cases.

Nemesis1835
05-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I did notice but I am thinking it is either a flub or the house was much different than the original house and it could have had two stair cases.
No Cause i got the 3 disc collectors and rb even says he had to use two diffrent houses to make it perfect

Horror Kitten
06-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Second half. Hands down.

I wasn't a fan of Michaels early years. I thought it would have been better leaving it like the original, with Michael just being Evil and flipping out. The backstory took away from the creepiness. The second half actually had really good eerie atmosphere. The first half didn't compare.

halloween2007
06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm really surprised that so many people prefer the second half of the film compared to the first. I really didn't like how the second half was a complete re-hash of the original film, but crammed into half the time. I respect the first half more, simply because it was something new and it hadn't been done before.

Ryan
06-18-2009, 04:10 PM
The second half, definitely. I think if it had been fleshed out, and given more time, it would have made for a better movie. I don't feel the two parts meshed well, personally.

xBabyBoo666x
06-28-2009, 01:12 PM
I gave my vote to the first half , I loved seeing young Mikey Myers with that creepy evil look on his face & how at times he could be so sweet around his mom & baby sister . I guess also because I loved watching the part where he beats the bully to death,,, the2nd half was amazing as well .

Boogeyman707
06-28-2009, 01:45 PM
I liked the movie all together, but Id have to say the 2nd half since Laurie is intoduced

ILoveChiaPetsXD
06-28-2009, 02:11 PM
The first half, by far. That was definitely some scary shit.

TheThirdHalf
06-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Yep. First half. It was something not seen in a HalloweeN flick before. The novel alluded to his time spent in Smith's Grove, so it was nice to finally see it.

big mike
06-30-2009, 09:30 AM
the 2nd part for me

more tension and more frights... some of the scenes like michael followin laurie home..the scene were he comes out of nowhere and kills her mom an dad...that whole scene ive never seen doen in a horror film before, the continuity of it ...the scene were bob is going back dressed as the ghost you think its michael then michael jumps out an kills him...the scene were laurie runs into the house to see annie hurt on the floor then runs to the phone an you see michael come out from behind the door

the whole laurie michael chase scene

fantastic film

Rich
06-30-2009, 08:45 PM
It was a very high tension moment when he actually got Laurie's parents.

lopli
07-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd say the first half. The second half, other than the more vulgar dialouge was almost an exact copy of Carpenter's. The first half was like nothing i'd seen in a Halloween before. It just screamed, ''re-imagining''.

storyteller
07-12-2009, 07:09 PM
The first half of the film is the worse piece of horror cinema of the last ten years, the second half is actually decent, but the damage, at that point, had already been done.

The Source
07-12-2009, 07:11 PM
The first half of the film is the worse piece of horror cinema of the last ten years, the second half is actually decent, but the damage, at that point, had already been done.

...and again we agree on something!:band:

storyteller
07-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, technically, I think, it's the same thing.

The Source
07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Well, technically, I think, it's the same thing.

Well there is a "small" difference, but I'm only splitting hairs. :p

TheThirdHalf
07-13-2009, 02:10 AM

Maybe cause H20 JUST slipped outside that ten year mark...huh :bastard:

Torgo
07-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Yep. First half. It was something not seen in a HalloweeN flick before. The novel alluded to his time spent in Smith's Grove, so it was nice to finally see it.

You sure you don't like...TheThirdHalf best?!

Eh? EH!?!

TheThirdHalf
07-13-2009, 09:06 AM
You sure you don't like...TheThirdHalf best?!

Eh? EH!?!

Haha....I think it was in a similar thread that I pulled my name from in the first place. Someone voted for the third half, whatever THAT meant. A lot of jokes and ribbing ensued, so after reading it, I signed up under that name! That was a while ago!

Devil's Eyes
07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
The whole movie is crap but I slightly prefer the first half because Deborah is an almost likeable character, Ronnie has a couple of funny lines, and the scenes of Michael pummelling that school bully and Judith's boyfriend are effectively brutal.

Horror Kitten
07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Deborah is an almost likeable character
She's the only reason I slightly like the first half. I can't really get into the whole white-trash Myers thing, I loved Sheri Moon Zombie as Deborah, though. Even though she was a trailer whore, she wasn't actually a bad mom, she did what she had too. Sheri is the saving grace of the first half, and I don't think it would have been the same with anyone else, she was good in that role. The second half I liked though. It was suspenseful and fun to watch.

storyteller
07-13-2009, 01:05 PM
She's the only reason I slightly like the first half. I can't really get into the whole white-trash Myers thing, I loved Sheri Moon Zombie as Deborah, though. Even though she was a trailer whore, she wasn't actually a bad mom, she did what she had too. Sheri is the saving grace of the first half, and I don't think it would have been the same with anyone else, she was good in that role. The second half I liked though. It was suspenseful and fun to watch.

Am I the only one who thinks she is the worst actress in the world? I breathed a sigh of relief when she shot herself, because frankly, she, alongside her boyfriend, was the worst part of the film and her role in the second film is the only thing that I am aprehensive about.

Masked Madman
07-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Am I the only one who thinks she is the worst actress in the world? I breathed a sigh of relief when she shot herself, because frankly, she, alongside her boyfriend, was the worst part of the film and her role in the second film is the only thing that I am aprehensive about.
Hardly the worst actress in the world. She is a good actress and quite frankly I don't think people see that just because she is Zombie's wife.

storyteller
07-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Hardly the worst actress in the world. She is a good actress and quite frankly I don't think people see that just because she is Zombie's wife.

It has nothing to do with her being his wife, she could be the daughter of Sally Field and I would stil think the same damn thing. I guess it's going to take her playing a different role for once in her life for me to notice any 'talent' that may exist. The only thing I've liked her in, as of yet, was Zombie's faux trailer for Grindhouse.

Horror Kitten
07-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Am I the only one who thinks she is the worst actress in the world?

Haha, I don't think she's an oscar winning actress, I just liked her as Deborah. I have defintely seen worse acting, though.

EvilOnTwoLegs
07-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I guess it's going to take her playing a different role for once in her life for me to notice any 'talent' that may exist.

Um, Deborah Myers was nothing like Baby Firefly.

She was the only really decent human being in the first half of the film, and Sheri did a good job playing her as a sympathetic character (something Baby certainly wasn't). It's not an award-caliber performance, but this is the Halloween series we're talking about. It ain't fuckin' Schindler's List, people. haha

Michael Voorhees
07-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Haha, as much as people rag on Sherri (me included), she actually is a very good actress. She had an emotionally driven performance in RZH, and she delivered.

Now, as for the thread's question, I love the film as a whole, but the second half is the best for me. Mane as Myers is full of epicness.

Buckyspowerline
08-15-2009, 05:28 PM
I liked the first half because it describe's Michael's childhood, but it was great to see Tyler Mane's version of Michael Myers. He just portrays a scarier Michael. The last couple franchise versions of Michael just weren't scary to me.

Citan
08-16-2009, 01:15 AM
I have to say that I prefered the Loomis + Michael scenes, so I choose the first half.

Ispitonmygrave
08-19-2009, 07:57 AM

I LOVED her in DR and H01TK, but she was TERRIBLE in RZH.

Her worst line was when she called Judith from the stairs.

"JUDITHHHHHHHHH"

or when she yelled at Ronnie.

It just felt fake and cringeworthy.

storyteller
08-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Her worst line was when she was discussing the merits of Michael having a dead cat in his backpack.

Masked Madman
08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Her worst line was when she was discussing the merits of Michael having a dead cat in his backpack.
Thats the fault of the writer not the actor. That "boys will be boys" line was taken out of the directors cut (The superior version imo) so even Rob saw that it was a stupid line.

Nibbz
08-21-2009, 06:21 PM
I LOVED the first half and honestly would have rathered them kept the original storyline but just let Rob make a prequel.

Myers78-?
03-01-2010, 06:26 AM
From what I'm reading i'm going to agree with a lot of you. I love the second half. I think it is a work of genius and it is scary too! The first half is great when you first see it, and it's great that the filmmakers did the what-if scenario, but after awhile the first half started to get kinda....boring. Now don't get me wrong it's very entertaining i just dont like it as much as the second half. I love Rob's unique take on Michael Myers journey back to Haddonfield. It's very entertaining, scary, psychotic, and just all around great

CJ7
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I like the whole movie but it really got good when Tyler came into the movie.I thought that Tyler did a great job in this movie but even better in RZH2.He was brutal in this movie but then the second one he took his character to a whole new level.

A Dumb Question
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't even bother watching the second half anymore. Love the Smith's Grove section of the movie, though.

Walton
03-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't even bother watching the second half anymore. Love the Smith's Grove section of the movie, though.

Really? I very much enjoyed the second half more....but not by much, the first part of the movie was very interesting as well, but i love seeing myers in that mask walking through Haddonfield!

A Dumb Question
03-01-2010, 03:15 PM
But I've seen Myers in that mask walking through Haddonfield, and I've seen it done much better. By the time I hit the second half, I feel like I'm wasting my time by not watching the original film instead.

Walton
03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
But I've seen Myers in that mask walking through Haddonfield, and I've seen it done much better. By the time I hit the second half, I feel like I'm wasting my time by not watching the original film instead.

LOL...Thats a very good point.

Roswell
03-01-2010, 03:29 PM
But I've seen Myers in that mask walking through Haddonfield, and I've seen it done much better.

So have I. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, though. ;)

RZLynda
03-27-2010, 12:32 PM
The second half. I only really care for the very beginning of the first half, which is young Michael at home killing the bully, and then his household. As far as him in the hospital, I really don't care for it. And now that I've seen Halloween so many times, I tend to skip the first half of the movie a lot and start it where Laurie's at her house with her parents.

You_Let_Him_Out
03-27-2010, 06:46 PM
First half. Second half is pretty terrible.

Slasher Fan
03-27-2010, 06:53 PM
First half. Second half is pretty terrible.

Agreed.

Muse
03-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Second half had Scout...

Don't really like either half but y'know, second half at least had somethin' decent to look at :p

SimonTheShape
03-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Second half! I love the whole movie but the second part is just fucking awesome!

black_halo
04-24-2010, 05:37 PM
I actually thought the first half was well done & interesting.

The second half was alright, but seemed fairly rushed.

ZAR
04-24-2010, 09:54 PM
The first half is definitely superior to the second half. But that's not to say that the second half is bad.

z0mbiej0e
06-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I loved both parts but i liked the 2nd half better.

mistersandman68
06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I actually thought the first half was well done & interesting.

The second half was alright, but seemed fairly rushed.

This is my feeling too,it just seems like the second half was a little glossed over IMO.

MrShape666
06-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Pretty much the second half. For me, after the words Fifteen Years Later appeared on the screen, the movie got markedly better. I just never cared for the origin stuff; it didn't work for me.

viperswat
07-23-2010, 09:06 PM
I was disappointed in the second half because it was exactly what I didn't want this movie to be. I wanted it to break off almost entirely from the concepts of the original story and characters and do its own thing completely. I kind of wish the first half was more twisted than it was; it never approached Devil's Rejects territory. In fact I think it played it relatively safe with Sheri Moon's character being friendly and loving to Michael, although it did make her death scene more poignant. (Too bad it was ruined by her appearance in part 2.)

While I will admit the opening moments of the movie had me relatively disinterested, by the time Michael started killing I was hooked. And the look on his face and how he played it so cool when his mom figured out his killings drew me in even more. The best part was the sessions with him and Dr. Loomis, I thought that was very well done. I only wish he didn't say "Then I have nothing more to say" when he decided to stop talking for good. I wish it was played more like the evil inside him just totally consumed his soul, but I guess Rob Zombie never subscribed to the "less is more" idea.

It wasn't a total loss after that, as I enjoyed Michael's breaking out of the prison and of course, the legendary Joe Grizzly. Dr. Loomis's classic ramblings about how evil Michael was were good fun too. Beyond that though, I lost almost all interest in the movie because it was basically John Carpenters Halloween, Rob Zombified, exactly the movie I did not want to see. I will also mention in passing I thought the second half was a total piece of shit that completely dragged the movie quality down, but won't go into details because this post is long enough and I mainly wanted to talk about what I liked about the first half of the film.

Styx531
08-26-2010, 07:50 AM
I enjoyed the second half more....it was kinda cool to see what Zombie did to the version we all know and love. I love the original but it was refreshing to see what someone else thought it couldve been like

trav_mullins
11-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I enjoyed the second half more....it was kinda cool to see what Zombie did to the version we all know and love. I love the original but it was refreshing to see what someone else thought it couldve been like

First was more fleshed-out.

Dr. Graham
01-27-2011, 09:49 PM
I understood what Zombie was going for with his first half. In fact, even though I didn't care for a backstory for Michael Myers, I took his story for what it was worth. That said, I thought the first half was not nearly as effective or entertaining as the second half. His second half had some pretty solid suspense, and made Myers probably as scary or intimidating as he had been since the 2nd or 4th movie, arguably. The first half, while shocking, just did not do much for the movie, in my opinion. Looking back, I enjoy it more now than I did on first viewing it, but the second half of the movie is of a much higher quality than the first half. I'm not sure if that says so much for the source material or for Rob's take on it, but either way it was the stronger part of the movie, in my opinion.

Madness
01-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Definitely agree with this point.

I also liked the second half.

starlight_84
03-05-2011, 01:59 PM
i like the whole movie but i prefer the second part i think

The Saw
04-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I hated the first half, second half was awesome though.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-06-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm the opposite. At least the first half was something I hadn't seen before, and it was edited well. The second half, Zombie's trying to cram a 90-minute film into less than an hour, and can't decide whether to put his own spin on it, or just adhere slavishly to the original film. It's schizophrenic, and the editing just flat-out sucks.

The Saw
04-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't mind a prequel on Michael Myer's childhood. I just thought the casting for myers sucked. It really made me laugh. I respect your opinion and all, but I just hated the first half. The second half, yes, wasn't really any rob zombie, just a flat out remake of Halloween. By no means was it perfect, or as good as the original, but I liked it and all.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I think the first half benefits from the fact that Zombie knew exactly what he wanted to do with it. In the second half, he waffles back and forth between trying to put his own stamp on the material and carbon-copying Carpenter's original. He obviously couldn't decide how much to make it "A Rob Zombie Film" and how much to make it "The Halloween Remake." In the end, it just feels like a jumbled mess, with very little character development, and a structure that leaps from scene to scene with no real sense of narrative flow.

I can understand preferring either half (all comes down to what your criteria are)...but for me, the fact that Zombie was so sure-handed in his handling of the first half puts it head and shoulders above the second half, where he seems to be second-guessing himself at every turn.

Black Sunshine
04-06-2011, 06:38 PM
in reference to thread title and actress Kristina Klebe i will have to say i prefered her lower half ;)

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
in reference to thread title and actress Kristina Klebe i will have to say i prefered her lower half ;)

:quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire:

The Saw
04-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Well rob originally pitched it as two separate movies, a prequel and a remake, so maybe with more tome for the actual remake, he would have put more Rob Zombie into it.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I think he might have felt some pressure to make it more like the original. The Workprint featured a different death scene for Bob and didn't have Malcolm McDowell spouting off nearly as many Donald Pleasence lines. When it tested poorly, I think he used the reshoots to cram more Carpenter material into the second half.

The Saw
04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I always figured the workprint turned out to be the unrated version, I don't know why. I'll have to watch the workprint. Halloween 2 definately had a lot more rob zombie on it, and I enjoyed it much more than this one.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I also think that Zombie's H2 (particularly his Director's Cut) is far and away superior to RZH, and certainly has more of a cohesive identity, with regard to what kind of film it is, and what it sets out to accomplish. The only major downfall of H2 is that the Weinsteins wanted more kills, and made Zombie insert the scene with the rednecks in the field, the Rabbit in Red scene, and the Wolfboy/Harley kill at the Phantom Jam. While he was able to squeeze them in, and they don't necessarily ruin the film, it does undermine the slow-burn approach that Zombie was initially going for. Leaving those scenes out would have made the film more personal...allowing for more focus on the dynamic between Michael and Laurie. But in the end, I don't think those compromises were as detrimental to the finished product as the compromises made for RZH were.

Especially irksome - even beyond the needless rehashing of Carpenter's script - is the aspect ratio issue. The RZH Workprint was in 1.85:1, which is the ratio it was shot in, and the ratio of all Zombie's other films (RZH2 included). For theatrical presentation and all home video releases, it was matted out to 2.35:1...which I believe was only done because this was the aspect ratio of the original Halloween. And frankly, it really fucks up the composition of the cinematography. The movie looks better in 1.85, because it was framed for 1.85. In fact, if I could get a copy of RZH on Blu-ray (or even DVD) in the 1.85 aspect ratio, I'd be thrilled. Theatrical Cut or Director's Cut...makes no difference...I'd just like to see the film the way it was actually shot, and the way it was clearly meant to be seen.

Torgo
04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
I also think that Zombie's H2 (particularly his Director's Cut) is far and away superior to RZH, and certainly has more of a cohesive identity, with regard to what kind of film it is, and what it sets out to accomplish. The only major downfall of H2 is that the Weinsteins wanted more kills, and made Zombie insert the scene with the rednecks in the field, the Rabbit in Red scene, and the Wolfboy/Harley kill at the Phantom Jam. While he was able to squeeze them in, and they don't necessarily ruin the film, it does undermine the slow-burn approach that Zombie was initially going for. Leaving those scenes out would have made the film more personal...allowing for more focus on the dynamic between Michael and Laurie. But in the end, I don't think those compromises were as detrimental to the finished product as the compromises made for RZH were.

Especially irksome - even beyond the needless rehashing of Carpenter's script - is the aspect ratio issue. The RZH Workprint was in 1.85:1, which is the ratio it was shot in, and the ratio of all Zombie's other films (RZH2 included). For theatrical presentation and all home video releases, it was matted out to 2.35:1...which I believe was only done because this was the aspect ratio of the original Halloween. And frankly, it really fucks up the composition of the cinematography. The movie looks better in 1.85, because it was framed for 1.85. In fact, if I could get a copy of RZH on Blu-ray (or even DVD) in the 1.85 aspect ratio, I'd be thrilled. Theatrical Cut or Director's Cut...makes no difference...I'd just like to see the film the way it was actually shot, and the way it was clearly meant to be seen.

Those scenes you mention from H2 stick out, and they DO ruin the flow of the movie for me. It's like sticking slasher kills in a psychological study. It doesn't feel right. It's really the main reason I don't really care for the movie. So it's interesting to know that they were studio mandated. Altho I'd think if Zombie really didn't want them in there he would have deleted them from the director's cut.

I also wasn't aware that RZH was shot in 1.85. Again, that strikes me as weird that if it were studio mandated, why didn't Zombie return to it for his director's cut? Maybe his director's cuts aren't as 100% the director's true vision as one would assume when they see the words "director's cut" ?

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-06-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure why the Director's Cut of RZH wasn't returned to 1.85...I wish it had been.

Problem with H2 is that those scenes seem to have been written in at the Weinsteins' insistence before the film was shot. The other scenes were clearly worked around them as they were injected into the script, so that if you look at the film now, it would be really hard to take those scenes out, without also removing or displacing material that was integral to Zombie's intent. It would actually end up doing the film more harm than good. If those scenes were simply the product of reshoots, they would have been easy to take out...but unfortunately, they got dug in too early on in the process to just pull them out now.

A Dumb Question
04-06-2011, 11:50 PM
My opinion of RZH2 would be much higher without the added kill scenes. I could have done without the extended H2'81 fanservice in the first act, too (Rob never did know when to discard ideas from that sequel). Even so, the second Zombieween is far better than either half of his first effort.

The Saw
04-07-2011, 04:36 AM
I didn't really mind the extra kills, I read the reviews saying: oh there is tons of use of this white horse. So I was expecting some crap with tons of some mystical horse. But I was really impressed. I thought most people had a problem with michaels mom telling him to kill, but I like it, because it's more rob zombie. It kinda reminds me of House of 1000 corpses on those scenes.

Torgo
04-07-2011, 08:28 AM
My opinion of RZH2 would be much higher without the added kill scenes. I could have done without the extended H2'81 fanservice in the first act, too (Rob never did know when to discard ideas from that sequel). Even so, the second Zombieween is far better than either half of his first effort.

The hospital scenes are my favorite part.

That movie is just not my cup of tea.

RZH, on the other hand, there are things I like about both parts and while it may not have the best narrative flow I could watch it every year 'round Halloween.

A Dumb Question
04-07-2011, 09:20 AM
I read the reviews saying: oh there is tons of use of this white horse. So I was expecting some crap with tons of some mystical horse.

The only problem with the white horse is that the whole concept was very last-minute. If Rob had come up with the conceit earlier, the horse might have been more integral to the story (and felt less like an indicator of a Halloween 5-esque psychic link). As is, though, the horse still works well enough as a creepy symbol.

MischievousSpirit
04-07-2011, 10:01 AM
The only problem with the white horse is that the whole concept was very last-minute. If Rob had come up with the conceit earlier, the horse might have been more integral to the story (and felt less like an indicator of a Halloween 5-esque psychic link). As is, though, the horse still works well enough as a creepy symbol.

The horse was brought up at the very beginning. The first quote, which is in my signaure, Debra giving the white horse to Michael, Michael dreaming about the white horse. Laurie thinking the rorschach painting is a white horse.. Etc. In the commentary Zombie said he had the white horse in mind for the story when he first wrote it.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I thought most people had a problem with michaels mom telling him to kill, but I like it, because it's more rob zombie. It kinda reminds me of House of 1000 corpses on those scenes.

For all the people who say it's a rip-of of Friday the 13th (if anything, it's a rip-off of Psycho, people...get your classic horror straight!), it always reminds me more of The Devil's Rejects than anything else. When Wydell's brother appears to him as a "ghost" (read as "hallucination") as he's having his breakdown, and tells him to slaughter the Firefly clan.

The horse was brought up at the very beginning. The first quote, which is in my signaure, Debra giving the white horse to Michael, Michael dreaming about the white horse. Laurie thinking the rorschach painting is a white horse.. Etc. In the commentary Zombie said he had the white horse in mind for the story when he first wrote it.

Actually, in the commentary, he said he saw a white horse on the side of the road and decided on the spot to write it into the script. :p

I think the white horse works in RZH2, though, in the same way that it worked on Twin Peaks. It is a creepy symbol.

Oh...and, uh...I still like the first half better?

The Saw
04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I want to see the devils rejects so bad.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
TDR = Best movie Zombie's made.

z0mbiej0e
04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I want to see the devils rejects so bad.

Dude, you need to get your ass to a video store or a website and watch it now! Rob Zombie's best work.

The Saw
04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Well I really loved Ho1KC, And I gotta see TDR!

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-07-2011, 04:18 PM
TDR makes Ho1KC look like a Looney Tunes cartoon (which it halfway does already, due to its admittedly over-the-top style). TDR is much more gritty and grounded.

z0mbiej0e
04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
TDR makes Ho1KC look like a Looney Tunes cartoon (which it halfway does already, due to its admittedly over-the-top style). TDR is much more gritty and grounded.

I like the 70s' exploitation feel Ho1KC had, and I loved the dusty, Bonnie & Clyde meets Manson Family feel TDR had.

Rob's best work IMO, then comes Halloween (both halves) :)

The Saw
04-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Well I liked Ho1KC because it was a homage ( or ripoff ) to the original TCM. I say homage because Zombie said he was very influenced by TCM 74.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-07-2011, 05:10 PM
TDR feels more like TCM than Ho1KC does. Especially thanks to the 16mm photography and grittier production design.

And TDR is better than either half of RZH. haha Fuck, it's hard to get this shit back on-topic!

The Saw
04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Ell, I'll have to check TDR out. In conclusion, I thought the 2nd was better.

The Saw
04-07-2011, 07:04 PM
As in the second half ^

TheThirdHalf
04-08-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm more apt to favor the first half, especially in the context of setting the stage for H2...young Michael grunting as he beats the shit out of the bully, I really got a sense watching H2 that this was the Michael that Daeg would have grown into, so to speak. I do however, love the sequence as Laurie hides in the walls and Michael goes bat-shit crazy trying to knock his own house down, haha.

Torgo
04-08-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm more apt to favor the first half, especially in the context of setting the stage for H2...young Michael grunting as he beats the shit out of the bully, I really got a sense watching H2 that this was the Michael that Daeg would have grown into, so to speak. I do however, love the sequence as Laurie hides in the walls and Michael goes bat-shit crazy trying to knock his own house down, haha.

I'm surprised you're not more of a fan of...The Third Half.

*chuckles*

TheThirdHalf
04-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm surprised you're not more of a fan of...The Third Half.

*chuckles*

Haha...it didn't take me long to realize that there aren't many fans of The Third Half around here :p

Bojangles
04-21-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm going to have to go with the second half.

P.S. TDR is great.

missvirginia91
08-25-2012, 12:43 PM
I really liked the first part, because it introduces us to Michael's life and background, where the first Halloween didn't really touch on. But I liked the second half better. I think the acting was better.

MeSoThorny
08-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I liked the second half because it was a regular Halloween film. I'm not a fan of explaining away Myer's evil with psychosis brought on by a fucked up redneck childhood. "Boo hoo. My mom's a stripper, my step-dad's a dick, my sister's a whore and I've got hair like a girl!" I like the idea that Myers was a seemingly normal kid until he snapped out of nowhere and nobody knows why.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-26-2012, 02:44 AM
The second half is a bumblefuck version of the original. You can just watch the original. The first half is where Zombie showed that he actually had something of his own in mind. And if he'd kept that up until the end, it might have actually been a more cohesive film.

missvirginia91
08-26-2012, 05:35 AM
The second half is a bumblefuck version of the original. You can just watch the original. The first half is where Zombie showed that he actually had something of his own in mind. And if he'd kept that up until the end, it might have actually been a more cohesive film.

Well, it was a remake... if he did his own stuff the entire time it would be his own film, not a remake.

The Saw
08-26-2012, 06:38 AM
I liked the second half because even though I've seen it all before, it wasn't nearly as awful as the first half.

Thorni52
08-26-2012, 07:10 AM
I would actually split this movie into 3 parts. The childhood act, Smiths grove, and Halloween night. Act 2 is my favorite and I think it works the best. Even though the final act is somewhat enjoyable, I feel like it's a film I've seen before just done better... The only scene I like in the final act is the pool scene.

I agree, and that's where the film fails for me. It's too much like the Carpenter film, and not enough of Zombies ideas. Had he taken the final act in a whole new direction I would've liked the film a lot more then I did. I still think it's too hollywood and nowhere near what a Rob Zombie film should be, but his biggest mistake was going for an almost step for step recreation of the 1978 film, with updated sassy characters and dialogue. Laurie is repressed but acts like a slut, and they all act like bitches. Key scene is the recreation of them walking home.. the dialogue and what they say to each other just makes me roll my eyes. Can't believe people prefer these characters to the well developed, and damaged characters in RZH2. In all honesty, Laurie and her friends in RZH were just shallow, privliged jerks.

A Dumb Question
08-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Can't believe people prefer these characters to the well developed, and damaged characters in RZH2. In all honesty, Laurie and her friends in RZH were just shallow, privliged jerks.

And that's exactly why I feel conflicted about those well-developed, damaged characters in the sequel: I couldn't take their trauma seriously because I had seen and rolled my eyes at said trauma two years prior. Sure, you could possibly make a serious, complex, thoughtful sequel to Plan 9 From Outer Space, but the ludicrous nature of the original will always undermine its sincerity.

Roswell
08-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Laurie is repressed but acts like a slut...

Where does she act like a slut? Seriously, I've seen all these accusations leveled at Laurie in the remake that I can't understand. She's a slut. She's a lesbian. She's a bitch. Where is this shit happening at in the actual film?

...and they all act like bitches.

Having an attitude and being a bitch are two different things. The only one that I could see being a bitch is Lynda, and let's face it, she probably was a bit of a bitch before we saw her in the original.

In all honesty, Laurie and her friends in RZH were just shallow, privliged jerks.

As opposed to Laurie's friends in the original, who were just good, clean citizens of Haddonfield, Illinois. :rolleyes:

z0mbiej0e
08-26-2012, 11:40 AM
IMO, it's a great film. I like both parts. But again, if I had to choose, I'd say the second half was stronger.

Telling Michaels childhood story was a good idea, but I didn't like the face that it felt like TDR or HO1C. Rob stuck to his redneck family twist, and I didn't really like it. If he took the origin story more seriously, I believe this could of been much more than it was.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, it was a remake... if he did his own stuff the entire time it would be his own film, not a remake.

Tell that to the people who remade The Fly and The Thing.

Thorni52
08-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Where does she act like a slut?

The scene where she fingers a bagel in front of here mom ;)

It's just the way Scout portrays the character... It's hinted at that she's very repressed, but it she's just so goofy and bubbly you could easily see her giving it up to anyone. Jamie Lee was a hopeless romantic, Scout's just some girl who's yet to get laid, but most likely would the following week if Michael hadn't barged into here life. Haha

Having an attitude and being a bitch are two different things. The only one that I could see being a bitch is Lynda, and let's face it, she probably was a bit of a bitch before we saw her in the original.

Lynda is probably the most tolerable of the three, because we know she's not the best person. She's sleazy, manipulative and doesn't have the highest of morals. Annie and Laurie on the other hand we are supposed to genuinely like... and I don't think they come off as any more redeeming then Lynda.

As opposed to Laurie's friends in the original, who were just good, clean citizens of Haddonfield, Illinois. :rolleyes:

The original cast was nowhere near as annoying as these girls. Dialogue like:

"OMG You should..... DATE HIM!!!!"
"You're totally a slluuut!" *tickles*

Like how can you like these people?

Maybe that's what Rob wanted to do. Make them bratty, stuck up suburban chicks, but I can think of a number of movies where you have every reason to hate the characters and still like them.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-26-2012, 03:07 PM
True, but I could paraphrase one of your posts from another thread and say that while you're right about the girls being annoying, teenage girls being annoying is quite realistic. ;)

Roswell
08-26-2012, 03:15 PM
The scene where she fingers a bagel in front of here mom ;)

It's just the way Scout portrays the character... It's hinted at that she's very repressed, but it she's just so goofy and bubbly you could easily see her giving it up to anyone.

Somehow I don't see someone who is supposed to be repressed having sex with anyone at the drop of a hat...probably because they're, you know, repressed.

Jamie Lee was a hopeless romantic, Scout's just some girl who's yet to get laid, but most likely would the following week if Michael hadn't barged into here life. Haha

Again, repressed, yet she was probably going to get laid any second? Doesn't make sense.

Lynda is probably the most tolerable of the three, because we know she's not the best person. She's sleazy, manipulative and doesn't have the highest of morals. Annie and Laurie on the other hand we are supposed to genuinely like... and I don't think they come off as any more redeeming then Lynda.

Based on what? You haven't given any examples here.

The original cast was nowhere near as annoying as these girls. Dialogue like:

"OMG You should..... DATE HIM!!!!"
"You're totally a slluuut!" *tickles*

Teenage girls acting like teenage girls? Say it ain't so!

Sorry, but I don't think anything the girls do in the remake is worse than anything they did in the original. The only difference is that the vocabulary of a teenage girl has changed since the 70s.

Like how can you like these people?

Because I realize that people like Lynda, Annie and Laurie aren't sluts, bitches or lesbians, but simply teenage girls talking about teenage girl stuff and doing things that teenage girls do?

I mean, let's face it, these girls aren't supposed to be super complex characters to begin with. Anyone who argues that Laurie's friends are better developed in the original than in the remake needs to take another look.

Thorni52
08-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Alright, if that's the case, why do I like Laurie, Mya and Harley in RZH2? Most people seemed to think that they're even worse!

SLAB
08-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Harley is definitely worse if we're going by the last few posts definition of a slut, bitch, or someone sleazy. :p

Maybe you like trashy women Thorni52. ;)

Thorni52
08-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Harley is definitely worse if we're going by the last few posts definition of a slut, bitch, or someone sleazy. :p

Maybe you like trashy women Thorni52. ;)

Maybe I'm into the water sports :jump:

SLAB
08-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Maybe I'm into the water sports :jump:

Then you have no cause to call any of the women from RZH anything. ;) :p

Roswell
08-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Alright, if that's the case, why do I like Laurie, Mya and Harley in RZH2? Most people seemed to think that they're even worse!

I don't know. Why DO you like them?

Agreed. I don't hate her, but she's definitely worse than Lynda or Annie.

SLAB
08-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Absolutely, she embodies all the stuff he said he hated about the others in RZH about 30 seconds after she's introduced. :p

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-26-2012, 03:50 PM
He just digs chicks who look like Tim Curry.

Thorni52
08-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Yeah, but at least she's kinda cool and has some style to her. Like I said, Lynda and Annie are both privileged, sleazy, high school chicks. Harley's badass and actually kind of funny (her scene with Wolfie) No doubt she gets around, but in my opinion, she's a pretty cool character.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-26-2012, 03:53 PM
So you have a love/hate relationship with sluts? I think that's something you need to address in therapy, my friend...not at the local cineplex. :p

I mean, really, what's sleazier/sluttier...having sex with your steady boyfriend (Lynda, Annie), or having sex with a guy you just met at a party, whose face you've never even seen (Harley)? For as much as the term is thrown at every female character in Zombie's Halloween films, Harley is really the only one who seems to actually BE a slut.

Roswell
08-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah, but at least she's kinda cool and has some style to her.

That's not what were debating here though.

I mean, really, what's sleazier/sluttier...having sex with your steady boyfriend (Lynda, Annie), or having sex with a guy you just met at a party, whose face you've never even seen (Harley)? For as much as the term is thrown at every female character in Zombie's Halloween films, Harley is really the only one who seems to actually BE a slut.

If I had a prize to give you, I would.

Thorni52
08-26-2012, 04:04 PM
That's not what were debating here though.

Then in terms of, "Who is more interesting to watch on screen?" the girls from RZH2 win, hands down. Despite their unlikeable characteristics, they're still very entertaining to watch on screen. Much more so then in RZH.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-26-2012, 04:06 PM
So why was your main sticking point on the portrayals of the girls in RZH the fact that they had these unlikable characteristics? You're arguing in circles here.

SLAB
08-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Then in terms of, "Who is more interesting to watch on screen?" the girls from RZH2 win, hands down. Despite their unlikeable characteristics, they're still very entertaining to watch on screen. Much more so then in RZH.

I find that's more because the second movie (which I quite like) KILLS the first one (which I really don't minus bits of the first half) on pretty much every level.

Thorni52
08-26-2012, 04:10 PM
So why was your main sticking point on the portrayals of the girls in RZH the fact that they had these unlikable characteristics? You're arguing in circles here.

The girls in RZH are annoying, bubbly, slutty and loud for no reason. The chicks in RZH2, while they share some of the same character traits, are badass. They have good taste in music, work at a cool record store, and overall just have better things to say then pitching each others buts and acting all girly all the time.

I guess my point is, It works in RZH2 cause Zombie pulled it off, in RZH they just come off as tiresome.

z0mbiej0e
08-26-2012, 04:15 PM
I like the second half. Did I say I like the second half better?

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-26-2012, 04:15 PM
I find that's more because the second movie (which I quite like) KILLS the first one (which I really don't minus bits of the first half) on pretty much every level.

Basically, it's this. Nothing more, nothing less. Though I do like parts of RZH, it has no idea what it wants to accomplish. RZH2 is just a much more focused film that understands precisely what it's doing, and does it. In every regard. Including the girls. Zombie tried to make the girls more real in RZH, but at the same time, felt he had to adhere to the template from H1...so they're "real" in a different way than the girls in RZH2 are. Because RZH2 is a Rob Zombie film. RZH is Rob Zombie trying to decide if he's making a Rob Zombie film or trying to make a John Carpenter film, and never quite coming up with a convincing answer.

SLAB
08-26-2012, 04:19 PM
RZH is Rob Zombie trying to decide if he's making a Rob Zombie film or trying to make a John Carpenter film, and never quite coming up with a convincing answer.

Rob Zombie's, John Carpenter's Halloween!

missvirginia91
08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
The girls in RZH are annoying, bubbly, slutty and loud for no reason. The chicks in RZH2, while they share some of the same character traits, are badass. They have good taste in music, work at a cool record store, and overall just have better things to say then pitching each others buts and acting all girly all the time.

I guess my point is, It works in RZH2 cause Zombie pulled it off, in RZH they just come off as tiresome.

LOL at calling those girls "badass".

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Rob Zombie's, John Carpenter's Halloween!

John Carpenter's Halloween...A Film By Rob Zombie!