PDA

View Full Version : Rob Zombie's Halloween: Spoiled Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Thurisaz
08-30-2007, 09:37 PM
This is exactly what the title says. No spoiler tags is this thread. Discuss the film freely and openly. Feel free to debate as long as you keep it civil. Remember that everyone has an opinion and just because you have one doesn't mean it's the word of God.

Please be aware that :yar: discussion is still off limits for now. The embargo on discussion about the subject of the sticky thread will be lifted soon and we will let you know when that is.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Come on...let's get real...all discussion of this film has been spoiled.

Franchise
08-30-2007, 10:46 PM
What of us who have only read a handful of spoilers or have seen an unnamed feature film? What of us?

Sirand
08-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, I've already stated my opinion on Dread Central, but needless to say, this film is pretty much a train-wreck.

And the more I think about it, the more I think people unfamiliar with the Halloween franchise will be left in the dark. By adding in the "brother-sister" stuff from HII and stream-lining the original story, the logic in this flick is bat-shit stupid.

(On an unrelated note, who put up the "classic" Halloween clip of Busta Rhymes while this place was under construction? Egads!)

HannibalBEATNGU
08-30-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't think it's a total train-wreck, but it's a definite let down. The pacing is faster than lightning, the dialogue is mostly horrible, and the direction isn't nearly as sharp as The Devil's Rejects.

For everyone one good line, there are five bad ones.

Demonswrath
08-31-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm just too shocked to be upset. I enjoyed Act 1 to an extent. The rest I really didn't like. My family and friends all feel the same. I hoped for much more out of this. Sorry, but I felt quite let down and that sucks. This film really needed to be good so that it might breathe new life into this franchise for those that wish to see more Halloween films. It had it's scary moments, but that was about it. Now after seeing it, I would have preferred another sequel. And I hate most of the sequels!!! Damn! Could this be it for Halloween?!

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm just too shocked to be upset. I enjoyed Act 1 to an extent. The rest I really didn't like. My family and friends all feel the same. I hoped for much more out of this. Sorry, but I felt quite let down and that sucks. This film really needed to be good so that it might breathe new life into this franchise for those that wish to see more Halloween films. It had it's scary moments, but that was about it. Now after seeing it, I would have preferred another sequel. And I hate most of the sequels!!! Damn! Could this be it for Halloween?!

I felt the same way the first time I saw it. Although, much of that had to do with technical problems with the projector than the actual film. Upon returning home from my second viewing I must say I enjoyed it much more this time.

The end was very intense. And I think after seeing it once and knowing that, "hey, this isn't a carbon copy of the original," helped my enjoyment level. I just took it for what it was. Also, they leave Loomis' death very ambiguous. I think that reshoots must have been done because Michael grabs his head and blood is running out of his nose, eyes and mouth. But later he is fine, no blood. Fuck, Loomis lived through an explosion in HII if you follow that continuity so I don't think it would be a problem suspending disbelief that he lived through Michael squeezing his head.

Actually, I felt all the acting was superb. Again, it was a matter of excepting this film as a different look at a classic story. The actors did great in making it fresh, different and new.

The score was fabulous, yes, I just used that word.

Overall, it was a great Halloween film. I very much hope to see a sequel with Loomis and Laurie back in it. The question is, where do they go from here?

LaraEmily
08-31-2007, 12:54 AM

Even at it's worst this is light years better than anything in Resurrection. At very least if this is the end, the series doesn't end with that abomination.

Joker
08-31-2007, 01:07 AM
Could I ask what the new ending was?

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 01:10 AM
Yeah. Loomis is "unconcious," we assume, and Laurie grabs his gun. She crawls into the wall and eventually into the ceiling. Michael is trying to jab her out with a huge 2X4 when she falls through. Before she can get a shot off Michael rushes her and both of them fall off of the balcony. She wakens on top of him and points the gun at his head. She pulls the trigger, empty. Again, empty. Then she is about to pull it and Michael grabs her hand, the gun goes off, but we don't see what happens...Laurie begins screaming hysterically and the movie ends.

I'm assuming that she shot Michael in the head, but we actually never see it.

Thurisaz
08-31-2007, 01:49 AM
Gotta love AICN, they have a review up right now that states at the beginning that they got a ton of reviews for the workprint and were not posting them because it was a workprint. Which is the right move of course.

Only problem is that the review that is posted directly beneath that statement is a review of the workprint. Amazing.

By the way. On Monday we're lifting the embargo on workprint discussion. So feel free to have your comparisons ready to go then.

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Ahhh, so that's what all this talk is about two different versions. I've been staying out of this thread until now...hmmm, that makes more sense now. So it sounds like many are liking the workprint more...but that's discussion for Monday.

The Good Doctor
08-31-2007, 01:58 AM
This piece of shit needs to be burned on Samhain. Why can't we leave our slasher films in the time where they belong? We can visit them whenever we want; we do not have to run them into the ground. I swore I would not go to the theatre again after Jason X, yet I changed my mind as a result of morbid curiosity perverted into nothing less the sheer masochism. Resurrection was disgusting but everyone knew that from day one. This "film" portrayed itself as some kind of return to respectability; well, I see nothing but Jerry Springer meets Scream meets MTV. I have hated every remake since Psycho, yet this is by far the most insulting, as it masqueraded under the guise of "authentic" and "speaking to the fans". It sure spoke to me: it said "Fuck you it's all about the money." This garbage is calling itself simply 'Halloween'. What a travesty.
:vomit:

MOOCOW!!!!
08-31-2007, 02:19 AM
After a second viewing and thinking about it some more, I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like the movie.

Without even comparing it to the original, even just pretending it isn't a remake, that there is no franchise; looking at it as if it were just a new horror movie, then at best it is mediocre. But it isn't just another horror movie. It is a remake, and as far as the horror movie world is concerned, a respectable franchise, and this just doesn't hold up to Halloween standards.

I don't mind that so much was changed from the original, after all, if I wanted to watch the original, I just have to pop it into the DVD player. And calling it a re-imagining gives it a little more significance to its existence. But the writing and direction were too poor for this to be anything worthwhile. I've never seen a Rob Zombie film until now, so I'm not being biased here, but I just really think he dropped the ball. The plot is not paced well and at times confusing, especially if you hadn't seen the original. Somehow Michael seemed to know all sorts of things he shouldn't have been able to know, and it just really bothered me, and took me out of the mood. Scout also didn't give a very good performance as Laurie, at least as far as I'm concerned. I just didn't care about her at all, and at times wanted Michael to kill her so that maybe Annie could become the new heroine. :) Of course, it's not all her fault though; her character was hard to care about because Rob wrote it that way, which is probably the film's biggest problem: the writing.

There weren't enough characters I cared about and too many I hated, simply because they were written to be hated and they made sure they reminded you that you hated them every time they spoke. The only characters I cared for were the janitor, the one that was good to Michael, Annie (sort of), and Dr. Loomis. And the only reason I cared about Loomis was simply because he was Loomis.

I'm very disappointed in this, and I didn't think I would be. I tried very hard not to get my hopes up, and I didn't really... It's not that I thought this movie would be great, but I expected something at least as good as Halloween 4, but instead we got something barely better than Resurrection.

Joker
08-31-2007, 02:23 AM
Yeah. Loomis is "unconcious," we assume, and Laurie grabs his gun. She crawls into the wall and eventually into the ceiling. Michael is trying to jab her out with a huge 2X4 when she falls through. Before she can get a shot off Michael rushes her and both of them fall off of the balcony. She wakens on top of him and points the gun at his head. She pulls the trigger, empty. Again, empty. Then she is about to pull it and Michael grabs her hand, the gun goes off, but we don't see what happens...Laurie begins screaming hysterically and the movie ends.

hmmm..cant tell what I think of that. Will have to wait and see the T-Cut.

nwiser
08-31-2007, 04:24 AM
Then she is about to pull it and Michael grabs her hand, the gun goes off, but we don't see what happens...Laurie begins screaming hysterically and the movie ends.

hmmm...from the early discussion I thought we actually saw him get shot in the face. I guess it really IS open for sequels since we dont see it happen.

Personally I like the idea of RZ's originally shot ending that was revealed on here where the cops pump Michael full of lead. Did we ever find out if the ending was changed because Rob chose to do so or because the studio applied the thumbscrews to leave more plausible room for a sequel?

Todd
08-31-2007, 04:38 AM
I doubt we'll know for sure unless somebody gets drunk and spills the beans, but since the original ending sounded pretty good, the only reason to change it would have been in order to set things up for a sequel.

Joker
08-31-2007, 05:10 AM
The original ending seemed a let down, specially as Michael gets shot a few times already during the film and gets up.

Todd
08-31-2007, 06:02 AM
The original ending seemed a let down, specially as Michael gets shot a few times already during the film and gets up.
Why would that be a let down?

Todd 78
08-31-2007, 06:06 AM
Why would that be a let down?

The original ending should have stayed in. I wil decide my opinion on the new ending when I see the film, but damn the original ending was beautifulala Frankenstein. That said I do hear the new ending is more intense, so who knows

jeffconnecticut
08-31-2007, 06:09 AM

again, zombie was on the fence with many things in the movie. is michael supernatural or human? give zombie credit for thinking long and hard about which halloween ending to rip off...he finally went with a part 4 shootout for the original version.

nwiser
08-31-2007, 06:25 AM
I doubt we'll know for sure unless somebody gets drunk and spills the beans, but since the original ending sounded pretty good, the only reason to change it would have been in order to set things up for a sequel.

I honestly hope that it WAS RZ's choice and not due to pressure. The whole premise of him doing this was so that he could take it and make it his own, and he was supposed to have total creative control, or so I thought?

While I understand the studio's motives for wanting a more open ended movie, it does kind of take away from it being "his" movie to a small degree if they just came in and made significant changes to key parts.

mcilroga
08-31-2007, 06:34 AM
The whole fucking movie was just spoiled for me. Who started that thread?

Todd 78
08-31-2007, 06:37 AM
The knucklehead who said he was quitting the boards after fighting with Todd yesterday, That goober

Patrick1679
08-31-2007, 06:38 AM
I liked the movie. I thought this was better than most of the sequels. This is my 3rd favorite Halloween after 1 & 2.

I'm trying to figure out what people are looking for? It's NOT supposed to replace the original. It's a new movie with a fresh approach that has many classic elements to it. I thought Michael was definitely scary and intimidating again. I thought Scout did a great job as Laurie. Loomis and Brackett were so so. But so what?

The movie is about the character that we love. That's Michael Myers. I enjoyed that angle. He was more to the forefront than the other characters. I don't care about the other characters. I believe many on this board go see Halloween movies to see one person...Michael Myers. Tyler did a great job as well as Daeg. I think people are comparing this to the original. To me it's a separate identity. I'm thankful to have both movies to enjoy.

I disagree that this movie was a trainwreck. Could some things have been better? Sure! But give me any movie and you'll find flaws.

I enjoyed seeing Michael often. That's why I went to see the movie! I don't care about the Strodes or the other characters. I enjoyed a good popcorn movie that brought Michael back to being a badass.

A great classic scene was when Michael was standing in the living room behind Lindsey while she was watching tv! How can you NOT like that?

Ana-Matronic
08-31-2007, 06:39 AM
READ THE THREAD RULES.

THIS REVIEW IS OF THE WORKPRINT.

Todd
08-31-2007, 06:40 AM
I honestly hope that it WAS RZ's choice and not due to pressure. The whole premise of him doing this was so that he could take it and make it his own, and he was supposed to have total creative control, or so I thought?

While I understand the studio's motives for wanting a more open ended movie, it does kind of take away from it being "his" movie to a small degree if they just came in and made significant changes to key parts.
If Zombie had been given complete control, I doubt there would be any ambiguity about Michaels fate at the end. Not seeing where Michael is shot leaves the door wide open for a sequel. I don't think that's what RZ had in mind. Then again, Capenter did his best to do away with Michael for good in H2. Two shots to the head and being engulfed in flames would be enough to do in even the heartiest of us. Yet that didn't stop H4 from being made. I'm just making an educated guess, but I'd bet good money that the studio wanted the new ending.

Todd
08-31-2007, 06:44 AM
I liked the movie. I thought this was better than most of the sequels. This is my 3rd favorite Halloween after 1 & 2.

I'm trying to figure out what people are looking for? It's NOT supposed to replace the original. It's a new movie with a fresh approach that has many classic elements to it. I thought Michael was definitely scary and intimidating again. I thought Scout did a great job as Laurie. Loomis and Brackett were so so. But so what?

The movie is about the character that we love. That's Michael Myers. I enjoyed that angle. He was more to the forefront than the other characters. I don't care about the other characters. I believe many on this board go see Halloween movies to see one person...Michael Myers. Tyler did a great job as well as Daeg. I think people are comparing this to the original. To me it's a separate identity. I'm thankful to have both movies to enjoy.

I disagree that this movie was a trainwreck. Could some things have been better? Sure! But give me any movie and you'll find flaws.

I enjoyed seeing Michael often. That's why I went to see the movie! I don't care about the Strodes or the other characters. I enjoyed a good popcorn movie that brought Michael back to being a badass.

A great classic scene was when Michael was standing in the living room behind Lindsey while she was watching tv! How can you NOT like that?
Yeah, I think some people didn't want a remake at all or expected to just see a modernized copy of the original. RZ said all along that he was going to make it his own and that the focus would be more on Myers this time. People should have kept that in mind while viewing this movie. Your comment about flaws in every movie is well taken, too. I could point out some things from the original that didn't make sense, but only if I wanted to nitpick unnecessarily, which is what some seem to be doing with this new version.

Thurisaz
08-31-2007, 06:44 AM
The knucklehead who said he was quitting the boards after fighting with Todd yesterday, That goober

Yes, he's been taken care of. Also it's very likely he lied about seeing the movie anyway because he shows as being in the UK and I've been told there have been no screenings of the final cut anywhere in the UK yet.

Patrick1679
08-31-2007, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I think some people didn't want a remake at all or expected to just see a modernized copy of the original. RZ said all along that he was going to make it his own and that the focus would be more on Myers this time. People should have kept that in mind while viewing this movie. Your comment about flaws in every movie is well taken, too. I could point out some things from the original that didn't make sense, but only if I wanted to nitpick unnecessarily, which is what some seem to be doing with this new version.

Absolutely! It was all about Myers. That's what we love about Halloween! I'm thrilled that the mask was killer and Tyler did a great job. I love when he just stared at his victims momentarily before he killed them. He showed no remorse or mercy. I think it was a great angle. He was vicious. I thought there were a lot of great scenes in it. The one scene I could care less for was when Michael kneels down and shows Laurie the picture of them. But big deal?!

hemmy
08-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Dialogue was the worst part of the movie IMO, which depending on how you look at it could be good or bad.

Sometimes it was just scary (not in a good way) bad. If this movie wasn't filled with so many cuss words it would have gained a few points in my book right there. I don't mind them at all, and say them probably too much but I don't like my movies to say them every 2 seconds.

I for the most part liked the combination of old and fresh music.

Acting was a strength for most of the characters, with the scripts they were given.

Mcdowel was a good loomis IMO

Act 1 & 3 Myers was good, 2 was ok.

Danielle is still hot :P

In my list of "best" Halloween movies I would put it fourth:

1. JC's Halloween
2. Halloween II
3. Halloween 4
4. RZ's Halloween
5. Halloween H20
6. Halloween 6
7. Halloween 5
8. Halloween Resurrection

DEADICATED FAN
08-31-2007, 07:51 AM
First I want to say I am not an RZ hater – I love and respect the guys talents however stick to what you know from now on man please, you totally corrupted Haddonfield dude. Wow, what can I say except that I knew it would be bad once the CASTING list grew and grew and grew...What I mean by that is you can tell that the plot development was structured more around these forgetful 'reject' performances than the point of the story. I mean it hardly had set-up on major characters for Christ sakes! Rob said that this was going to be his NEW VISION of Halloween and from what I saw he relied heavily on us fans relying on the Original to make sense of what and where shit was going on. EXAMPLE: I know more about the wacko sanitarium guards & the guy taking a dump than I do about the new Sheriff Bracket or Laurie? I guess Rob thought we could refer back to the original. There were tons of set-up problems like that (or areas that Rob felt were more important surrounding his 'reject' cast) than the main story. I feel bad for anyone new to the series watching this puzzle because they must feel like it there were tons of pieces missing. As far as the new Laurie goes her character range went from giggle, laugh, and giggle, to scream, cry, and scream. But we saw the original so I guess we can refer back to Laurie’s feelings in Jamie Lee's performance. I guess what I'm trying to say here is a lot of the stuff I feel we've grown to consider important and deserving as Halloween fans became mere set dressing or afterthought. Just because you throw up some Halloween decorations doesn't make it a Halloween movie and just because you throw in distractingly over the top, disgusting dialogue 'filler' every 5 minutes for no other reason than for 'shock-value' doesn't make this a NEW vision of anything. If you feel so than you might as well consider this a RE imagining of 'Devils Rejects' at the same time. I didn't feel anything for anyone in this movie because of the whole 'trashy-Haddonfield' transformation Rob went with here. Are we all supposed to identify with these people??? It was all so unbelievably out of place & forced in this setting that it quickly & ultimately made for an entire distracting experience. All this being said '...I do believe...' this movie was made for no other reason than that they had a notable / familiar name attached to direct this time. A lot like what Rob based his NEW VISION of Halloween on ironically - a bunch of notable & familiar names to ‘fill’ a script doing and saying a lot of unnecessary things before dying. But don’t take my word for it please run out & support ‘The Haddonfield, Trailer-Trash Massacre’ again now!!! “How much NEW VISION filth can you take…and what will be left of you?” PS: I do have a few positive things here to say though, The Original score TOTALLY kicked – ass! (That is what I call NEW VISION) also Taylor Mane kicked-MAJOR-ass as Michael! Last but not least, Danielle Harris gives an incredible and CHILLING performance in this Film. Rob at least respected her role & importance enough in the Halloween series to totally let her give us back all she’s got to offer -awesome job girl!!!
JM/DF

Kinick
08-31-2007, 08:14 AM
First I want to say I am not an RZ hater – I love and respect the guys talents however stick to what you know from now on man please, you totally corrupted Haddonfield dude. Wow, what can I say except that I knew it would be bad once the CASTING list grew and grew and grew...What I mean by that is you can tell that the plot development was structured more around these forgetful 'reject' performances than the point of the story. I mean it hardly had set-up on major characters for Christ sakes! Rob said that this was going to be his NEW VISION of Halloween and from what I saw he relied heavily on us fans relying on the Original to make sense of what and where shit was going on. EXAMPLE: I know more about the wacko sanitarium guards & the guy taking a dump than I do about the new Sheriff Bracket or Laurie? I guess Rob thought we could refer back to the original. There were tons of set-up problems like that (or areas that Rob felt were more important surrounding his 'reject' cast) than the main story. I feel bad for anyone new to the series watching this puzzle because they must feel like it there were tons of pieces missing. As far as the new Laurie goes her character range went from giggle, laugh, and giggle, to scream, cry, and scream. But we saw the original so I guess we can refer back to Laurie’s feelings in Jamie Lee's performance. I guess what I'm trying to say here is a lot of the stuff I feel we've grown to consider important and deserving as Halloween fans became mere set dressing or afterthought. Just because you throw up some Halloween decorations doesn't make it a Halloween movie and just because you throw in distractingly over the top, disgusting dialogue 'filler' every 5 minutes for no other reason than for 'shock-value' doesn't make this a NEW vision of anything. If you feel so than you might as well consider this a RE imagining of 'Devils Rejects' at the same time. I didn't feel anything for anyone in this movie because of the whole 'trashy-Haddonfield' transformation Rob went with here. Are we all supposed to identify with these people??? It was all so unbelievably out of place & forced in this setting that it quickly & ultimately made for an entire distracting experience. All this being said '...I do believe...' this movie was made for no other reason than that they had a notable / familiar name attached to direct this time. A lot like what Rob based his NEW VISION of Halloween on ironically - a bunch of notable & familiar names to ‘fill’ a script doing and saying a lot of unnecessary things before dying. But don’t take my word for it please run out & support ‘The Haddonfield, Trailer-Trash Massacre’ again now!!! “How much NEW VISION filth can you take…and what will be left of you?” PS: I do have a few positive things here to say though, The Original score TOTALLY kicked – ass! (That is what I call NEW VISION) also Taylor Mane kicked-MAJOR-ass as Michael! Last but not least, Danielle Harris gives an incredible and CHILLING performance in this Film. Rob at least respected her role & importance enough in the Halloween series to totally let her give us back all she’s got to offer -awesome job girl!!!
JM/DF

This is a good post and you made some good points. (i do agree on Rob relying on us thinking of the original and throwing in 'classic' moments to compensate for his trademarkf stuff) I've a strong feeling that these things are going to be the main problems i'll have when seeing it and looking back on it in the long run. I just hope it's enjoyable enough to watch on repeat viewings, because that's what this franchise is all about!

Scissorhands
08-31-2007, 08:48 AM
I got to see it last night.. even though I know all the characters by the time they get back to Haddonfield.. I wish they had an extra hour or so to make you actually care about these people instead of killing them every five minutes. I'm not saying its a bad thing for a horror movie.. but seriously.. Michael killed ALOT of people. At least have a little bit of build up for a few of the characters. And not to be nerdy about it.. but how the hell did he get to each house so quickly? I know its a small neighborhood.. but he didn't have a car to follow them in.

I did enjoy it though. The backstory of him as a boy was brutal.. when he killed that first kid in the woods my mouth dropped. Everything else was pretty solid.. it just moved a bit too fast towards the end. I'm definitely happy to see a very intense.. almost exploitive version of a Halloween film. Its something new and I'm hoping they stay this way if they're gonna make any more. Alot of things were left open.. which is ok by me... and the ending was good enough for what it was. It kinda reminded me of the original Hills Have Eyes in its abruptness. So for all the hype and excitement that I've been having all year waiting for this to come out.. I'm happy with the end result. I'll definitely see it again soon.

PositiveandFun
08-31-2007, 09:11 AM
When the true Halloween fans know the movie better than the person doing the movie.....there's issues.

It all comes down to how we, the true Halloween fans, feel about this movie. We will either embrace it into our collection or we will reject it and keep watching the original (which we'll do anyway). No matter how many bad sequels or "remakes" we will always have the original....bottom line.

krustytheklown
08-31-2007, 09:16 AM
i gotta say, i know what i hate, and i didnt hate this movie. as a halloween fan for 29 years, i was hoping for greatness, but ill have to settle for it being my third favorite of the series, after H1 and 2. did it have problems? sure, alot of them. i hated the white trash family element. i hated no pumpkin at the beginning. i hated the fact that michael knew exactly who his sister was. why have her be his sister in the first place? the third act with michael stalking the girls was too short.RZ should have employed much more steady cam and much less hand held. how did michael get from smiths grove to haddonfield?ect. but i enjoyed the music, the third act had some great parts, although they were more brutal than tension filled. the ending i enjoyed. little dougy as michael was creepy. showing more of michael as a young guy is alright, but i still would have preferred a kid with an ideal upbringing and family life go nuts one day and kill his sister and others.im going to see this movie again saturday night and mabye get a clearer perspective. ill compare the workprint only after ive seen the theater version 3 times. i dont download to cheat people out of their theater reciepts, ever.

carruthers
08-31-2007, 09:18 AM
It was pathetic.

Michael is demystified and a redneck joke. That's all Rob Zombie knows how to write.

Dunkinlo
08-31-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm a huge Halloween Fan, and I loved the movie. ESPECIALLY THE ENDING!!!

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-31-2007, 09:39 AM
i gotta say, i know what i hate, and i didnt hate this movie. as a halloween fan for 29 years, i was hoping for greatness, but ill have to settle for it being my third favorite of the series, after H1 and 2. did it have problems? sure, alot of them. i hated the white trash family element. i hated no pumpkin at the beginning. i hated the fact that michael knew exactly who his sister was. why have her be his sister in the first place? the third act with michael stalking the girls was too short.RZ should have employed much more steady cam and much less hand held. how did michael get from smiths grove to haddonfield?ect. but i enjoyed the music, the third act had some great parts, although they were more brutal than tension filled. the ending i enjoyed. little dougy as michael was creepy. showing more of michael as a young guy is alright, but i still would have preferred a kid with an ideal upbringing and family life go nuts one day and kill his sister and others.im going to see this movie again saturday night and mabye get a clearer perspective. ill compare the workprint only after ive seen the theater version 3 times. i dont download to cheat people out of their theater reciepts, ever.
Obviously, a lot of things in the script had to be cut, but I wonder which ones were shot...or if they'll be included as deleted scenes on the DVD. I'm thinking of this specifically in regard to Michael knowing that Laurie is his sister. In the script, Loomis attempted to get the adoption records because he knew that Michael would go after his sister, and we are left to assume that Michael somehow manages to get this information (off-screen). I thought that was a reasonable way to handle it. But with that bit cut, most likely for time, it seems this is left in the dark.

But then, we didn't always understand how Michael knew things in the original film and series, either...so it's not really a big deal to me. Michael has to have his secrets. haha But I'd still be interested in seeing that scene, among others. It seems like Zombie tried to squeeze a 150-miute movie into 100 minutes, and deleted scenes may help to flesh a lot of things out.

shoe1985
08-31-2007, 09:46 AM
But then, we didn't always understand how Michael knew things in the original film and series, either...so it's not really a big deal to me. Michael has to have his secrets. haha But I'd still be interested in seeing that scene, among others. It seems like Zombie tried to squeeze a 150-miute movie into 100 minutes, and deleted scenes may help to flesh a lot of things out.

So, what is your opinion on the movie?

I am going to write a very brief review since I gave along one in the other thread.

Good first act, the second act made the movie fall apart. Everything was so rushed in the second act. We meet a character, the next second they die. So, why do I care about the person that died? Laurie was terrible in this movie. I honestly would have preferred more of Michael in Smith's Grove than watch Scout play Laurie. Terrible casting choice. I wasn't sure about Daeg or Sheri, but they were my favorite parts of the movie. Some people didn't like Daeg's performance, but I thought he was perfect. He acts great with his body movements, I can see him as an adult Michael.

Sirand
08-31-2007, 09:58 AM
I can't remember when a horror film was so hated before. Critics and fans and theater-goers everywhere are just tearing it to pieces. Reports keep coming in from sold-out screenings where no one made a peep. I'd like to say I almost feel sorry for Zombie, but he had it coming with this.

The more I think about this movie, the more my brain hurts. It's just incomprehensibly stupid.

- If Michael Myers was a famous psychopath, why would authorities dick around wondering what he was up to in Haddonfield? Wouldn't they instantly track down his sister since he murdered the last one?

- Why would the step-parents send Laurie to her old home where all her family members died, especially when her maniac brother is on the loose?

- If Michael just wanted Laurie, why go after her friends at all? Why does he go after Annie...and furthermore, how does he know how to freakin' find her?!?! He has Jaws: The Revenge shark radar where he can find anyone at any time no matter where they go.

- Why in the blue hell would Lynda randomly pick the Myers house to fuck in?

- How the fuck does Michael get from place to place without driving? Its like he teleports himself into every scene.

- Why does Loomis get his face caved in, but in the next shot he looks fine?

Look, I know this is a touchy subject, but it has to be said - the earlier version was a better film. Still shit, but slightly improved with some artistic creepy shots that were cut and a better paced second half and ending.

Basically everything we feared after the original script came true on-screen.

I wonder where the franchise will go from here. I can tell you one thing - we sure as hell won't be seeing a pick-up from this movie.

PG Soul
08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
When do we get the Renny Harlin version?

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
So, what is your opinion on the movie?

I am going to write a very brief review since I gave along one in the other thread.

Good first act, the second act made the movie fall apart. Everything was so rushed in the second act. We meet a character, the next second they die. So, why do I care about the person that died? Laurie was terrible in this movie. I honestly would have preferred more of Michael in Smith's Grove than watch Scout play Laurie. Terrible casting choice. I wasn't sure about Daeg or Sheri, but they were my favorite parts of the movie. Some people didn't like Daeg's performance, but I thought he was perfect. He acts great with his body movements, I can see him as an adult Michael.
I can't say anything at this point...my hands are tied. But I'm going to see the theatrical version of the movie at 6:50, so I'll get a review up later.

Based on what I do know, however, I think the big problem I'll have with the film will be the fact that Zombie relied too heavily on the original...including too many bits from it, therefore slowing down his condensed version of the remake to a point where including the parallels to the original means sacrificing character and story development. Essentially, it seems he tried to squeeze virtually all of Carpenter's 90-minute film into 50 minutes, plus add some of his own material in there. So I'm predicting that pacing will be the biggest issue for me. That's been my main concern ever since the early draft of the script was leaked. But then, that's why I'm interested in seeing the deleted scenes (hopefully) when the DVD comes out...they might help to slow that final act down at least a bit.

But I'll put a review up once I get back from the theater. I'm hoping these discussion threads won't get as...heated...as previous ones, but who knows? If they do, you won't be seeing much of me in here. I've had it with the arguing at this point...but I'll post a review, and still check out the reviews in that thread as they appear. So far, I've enjoyed reading everyone's reviews. They seem fairly balanced, and the bottom line ends up being personal taste. But for the most part, everyone has things they like, and things they don't like, in the movie. I expect I'll have the same reaction. There are very few movies that I love or hate outright. Though it might help this movie's chances a bit that one of the few movies I do hate outright immediately preceded it in 2002. haha

But yeah...it seems like the Third Half is growing. Those who like some things about the movie, and dislike others. That's a really reasonable position, and I think the reviews thusfar have been generally even-handed. Which is nice to see...I'm still dreading the shitstorm which seems inevitable. haha But it's good to see balanced reviews, at least at the outset of the Review thread.

PositiveandFun
08-31-2007, 10:10 AM
So now...the "no driving thing" it makes sense. Rob Zombie kept talking about how stupid Michael Myers looked in the station wagon....so instead of explaining how he got from place to place he completely ignored the entire thing. Which is stupid.

I personally think the scene in the first movie when Annie yelled after him in the station wagon and he puts on the brakes...that's a creepy scene in my book. And when he follows Tommy around...It's a lot less stupid than assuming he magically appears and re-appears with no transportation at all.

John Carpenter knew what "Scary" was and thus the original Halloween will always be the best. Rob Zombie knows trailor-trash. As my 15-year-old son eloquently put it...."He's a porno-slasher".....I'll have to agree.

shoe1985
08-31-2007, 10:11 AM
I can't say anything at this point...my hands are tied. But I'm going to see the theatrical version of the movie at 6:50, so I'll get a review up later.

Based on what I do know, however, I think the big problem I'll have with the film will be the fact that Zombie relied too heavily on the original...including too many bits from it, therefore slowing down his condensed version of the remake to a point where including the parallels to the original means sacrificing character and story development. Essentially, it seems he tried to squeeze virtually all of Carpenter's 90-minute film into 50 minutes, plus add some of his own material in there. So I'm predicting that pacing will be the biggest issue for me. That's been my main concern ever since the early draft of the script was leaked. But then, that's why I'm interested in seeing the deleted scenes (hopefully) when the DVD comes out...they might help to slow that final act down at least a bit.

But I'll put a review up once I get back from the theater. I'm hoping these discussion threads won't get as...heated...as previous ones, but who knows? If they do, you won't be seeing much of me in here. I've had it with the arguing at this point...but I'll post a review, and still check out the reviews in that thread as they appear. So far, I've enjoyed reading everyone's reviews. They seem fairly balanced, and the bottom line ends up being personal taste. But for the most part, everyone has things they like, and things they don't like, in the movie. I expect I'll have the same reaction. There are very few movies that I love or hate outright. Though it might help this movie's chances a bit that one of the few movies I do hate outright immediately preceded it in 2002. haha

But yeah...it seems like the Third Half is growing. Those who like some things about the movie, and dislike others. That's a really reasonable position, and I think the reviews thusfar have been generally even-handed. Which is nice to see...I'm still dreading the shitstorm which seems inevitable. haha But it's good to see balanced reviews, at least at the outset of the Review thread.

In my opinion, this is my opinion, this is really mostly Zombie's work. The second half is pretty much remake, but it does take some different turns.

I am also happy that everyone is being respectful about each other's opinions.

So now...the "no driving thing" it makes sense. Rob Zombie kept talking about how stupid Michael Myers looked in the station wagon....so instead of explaining how he got from place to place he completely ignored the entire thing. Which is stupid.

I personally think the scene in the first movie when Annie yelled after him in the station wagon and he puts on the brakes...that's a creepy scene in my book. And when he follows Tommy around...It's a lot less stupid than assuming he magically appears and re-appears with no transportation at all.

John Carpenter knew what "Scary" was and thus the original Halloween will always be the best. Rob Zombie knows trailor-trash. As my 15-year-old son eloquently put it...."He's a porno-slasher".....I'll have to agree.

It makes more sense for Michael not to drive. It does guys and girls. From the way Haddonfield is in this movie, the place is small. It does seem possible for Michael to go from place to place easily.

Dunkinlo
08-31-2007, 10:19 AM
QUOTE: I think the big problem I'll have with the film will be the fact that Zombie relied too heavily on the original...including too many bits from it

You my friend are in for a rude awakening.
Rob Zombie changed this one up so much that the most DIE HARD HALLOWEEN fan won't know whats coming next!!!
Which is good, because this is a REIMAGINING, not a REMAKE!!
If it were a remake, I'd know what was coming next.

shoe1985
08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Now, all that remains is for somebody to say it's neither of the above... but a 'requel'...

I think your on to something. A requel is what this movie was.

Asprin
08-31-2007, 10:52 AM
I can't remember when a horror film was so hated before. Critics and fans and theater-goers everywhere are just tearing it to pieces. Reports keep coming in from sold-out screenings where no one made a peep. I'd like to say I almost feel sorry for Zombie, but he had it coming with this.

The more I think about this movie, the more my brain hurts. It's just incomprehensibly stupid.

- If Michael Myers was a famous psychopath, why would authorities dick around wondering what he was up to in Haddonfield? Wouldn't they instantly track down his sister since he murdered the last one?

- Why would the step-parents send Laurie to her old home where all her family members died, especially when her maniac brother is on the loose?

- If Michael just wanted Laurie, why go after her friends at all? Why does he go after Annie...and furthermore, how does he know how to freakin' find her?!?! He has Jaws: The Revenge shark radar where he can find anyone at any time no matter where they go.

- How the fuck does Michael get from place to place without driving? Its like he teleports himself into every scene.

Look, I know this is a touchy subject, but it has to be said - the earlier version was a better film. Still shit, but slightly improved with some artistic creepy shots that were cut and a better paced second half and ending.

I wonder where the franchise will go from here. I can tell you one thing - we sure as hell won't be seeing a pick-up from this movie.

To try and answer you:

1 - Remember the little bit of info that brackett gave to loomis about how he wanted the little baby darling sweet bubbly little sister of that psycho not to have to grow up with the stigma around her that she is related to a psycho and so he took her away to another town? well, it seems that he did it for a reason. When he heard that myers was back maybe the memory hit him like a ton of bricks and he wasn't ready to confess what he knew in attempt to protect her identity?

2 - Once again, maybe it had something to do with the adoption process? When he dumped baby boo off at the hospital in Russleville or Pontiac or wherever he did, I doubt he told anyone "Hey, she is the sister of that 10 year old kid you all are going to read and hear about from Haddonfield so um...keep it on the down low?" When Mason strode adopted her he called Brakett to alert him of the news and from the looks of it had no idea where Boo came from.

3 - My guess would be they somehow got in his way. They somehow got trapped in the famous Myers-kill-zone radar and the results were clear...that or maybe RZ just didnt know what the hell he was doing anymore.

4 - I have NO idea cause that Van with the beer cooler looked a hell of a lot more welcoming.

5 - When I met Robert Englund at Comicon back in 03' when Freddy VS Jason was big news I asked him a question, A very specific question and his answer was the Key to how Michael is able to get around so fast without a car/bike/bus/subway/rollerskates:

Asprin - "So Mr. Englund who would you like to see Freddy battle with next?"
Mr. Robert Englund - "You know I would just LOVE to see him do battle with Michael myers simply because he can be more places in the real world quicker than Freddy ever could in the dream."
Asprin - "Seriously?"
Mr. Robert Englud - "Yes...he's got that teleportation shit DOWN! you think the fuck should be on Star Trek or something sheesh!"

6 -That my friend is Movie Magic...OR...Once again Rob Zombie had no idea what the hell he was doing. (It was just a setup for a studio sequal. that is so plain to see dude.)

I believe that this movie will do serious business just stacked on the backs of us fans who shelled out the 11 bucks to see this film. I personally enjoyed the first half but after Mike grew up? the film felt like watching a scratched dvd that skips on its own.

I hope my answers have given you some enlightenment...or at least more reason to grab a cold one and watch the Original. Or Monkey Knife fights.:band:

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
I just got back from seeing this new moive and I must sayl I LOVE IT!!! The only thing I would change is the profanity. It was not needed. It did nothing for the film. I will see it again!

MacG
08-31-2007, 11:07 AM

very good points, but mostly all of those things can be said about the original as well. just because you love the original soooooooo much doesn't mean you have to bash this film because its new and isn't as good. I personally LOVED the film. it did have a very fast pace, yes. but that doesn't stop it from being a good film. how does michael get from house to house so fast? i don't know, why don't you ask that same question about every other halloween movie. and the question about michael wanting just laurie, why would he go after her friends too? i don't know, but you can ask the same question about the original. if you ask all of those questions about the original, then the original doesn't look so good now does it?

please, don't bash the film because its not as good as the original. and don't nit pick things about it just for the sake of nit picking. enjoy the movie for what it is: a new film in the halloween franchise. there are good things, and there are bad things about it, but that can be said about EVERY halloween film to date. no film is perfect, not even the sacred original that everyone loves so much. and i thought Scout did an excellent job as Laurie btw.

PositiveandFun
08-31-2007, 11:12 AM
That's so true....we all have our opinions don't we? We should be open minded and see this as a new movie...not a replacement of the original we love so much.

You know...I just realized my avatar kinda looks like an evil Emeril Lagasse, don't you think?

Deckard
08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
I will agree about the profanity. I cuss A LOT...but even I was like DAMN!!!! When Ronnie said he was gonna crawl over to Deborah and "skull fuck her to death" I about hit the floor...but I can't say I was turned off by the language in a way that negatively affected the movie. For me, if you are gonna be something brutal and grisly...you can't just be brutal and grisly "most" of the time. The reason I like films like the remake of 'Hills Have Eyes' and more importantly THIS film, is that its obvious Rob never backed down from making it as HARD as possible. They don't just cuss, they CUSS! He doesn't just stab and go, he STABS and STABS and GOES OFF ON HIS VICTIMS and then leaves, when there's nudity it isn't just "oh, did you see her tits!", it was tits and ass (and more) right in your face...staring right at you. You know, almost a whole day has gone by since I've seen it and it really keeps getting better and better in my head. I really admire what Zombie did here, I really do. He did not just remake HALLOWEEN...he made a WHOLE NEW FILM with SOME recognizable scenes and elements. He really RAN FOR IT and I applaud him for it.

Sirand
08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
very good points, but mostly all of those things can be said about the original as well.

Actually, everything in the original made sense because Carpenter had yet to get drunk and come up with the brother/sister thing in Halloween II.

please, don't bash the film because its not as good as the original. and don't nit pick things about it just for the sake of nit picking. enjoy the movie for what it is:

Crap?

Seriously, I love Zombie's films, but he should've known better. This movie is just downright idiotic.
And I'm already getting sick of people saying "Don't compare it with the original!" Tell that to Rob Zombie...
http://a400.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_f51975b55528d139b0f3203941c757f7.jpg

Deckard
08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
and i thought Scout did an excellent job as Laurie btw.

She really did...she took less screen time and ran with it, creating a whole new Laurie. Maybe we don't know that much about her life...but hell, you were right when you said the original really has these same "problems". I mean, you can take things like little character development and justifiably complain about it...but I've always kind of had fun making up the characters in my head, filling in the blanks myself. And I think this version, while brief...definitely gave us things we could grab onto and see a little bit beyond the in your face versions of the characters.

Judith, when making the comment about her father in heaven, becomes somewhat relatable to besides just being a little slut bitch...you see that "wow, she has stuff going on with her that makes her more than meets the eye". Same with Lynda, when we see her talk with Laurie and how she really cares what she thinks about her. Its a little thing, but you can build (if you want to) a whole new character out of little things like that.

Does anyone agree with me?

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-31-2007, 11:22 AM
You know...I just realized my avatar kinda looks like an evil Emeril Lagasse, don't you think?
You're...not entirely off-track there. haha

I'll never look at chubby Portugese-American dwarf chefs the same way again. I especially when they suggest that I put my neighbor in the dish they're demonstrating.

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 11:31 AM
I just thought of another plus for me. Those of you who know me, know that I LOVE the Monkees. The gun dealer in the movie is none other than Micky Dolenz, the Monkees drummer!

PositiveandFun
08-31-2007, 11:32 AM
it could be a whole new take on Food Network....the Horror Feast with "Evil Lagasse"

I agree with Deckard....the fun thing about Halloween is using your imagination....staying open minded...and always having a new twist and turn, new directions...continuation.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-31-2007, 11:37 AM
I just thought of another plus for me. Those of you who know me, know that I LOVE the Monkees. The gun dealer in the movie is none other than Micky Dolenz, the Monkees drummer!
hahaha Yeah...when he was cast, it made me think of you.

How the hell you been, anyway, man? Haven't seen you around in forever.

it could be a whole new take on Food Network....the Horror Feast with "Evil Lagasse"
It'd make for a fun Halloween episode of Emeril Live, anyway. haha Maybe have him exsanguinate a few audience members and use their blood in his marinara sauce. :nodsmile:

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=EvilOnTwoLegs;571374]hahaha Yeah...when he was cast, it made me think of you.

How the hell you been, anyway, man? Haven't seen you around in forever.

Evil: it is good to talk to you again! I am off work for a third neck surgery, so I have plenty of time on my hands. I have checked in here off and on, but it is good to see familar faces!!!!! Take care!
Scott

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Evil: it is good to talk to you again! I am off work for a third neck surgery, so I have plenty of time on my hands. I have checked in here off and on, but it is good to see familar faces!!!!! Take care!
Scott
Likewise, man...always great to see someone from the "Old Days." :D

Hope your surgery goes well, and it's awesome to have you around again.

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 12:00 PM
I completely agree with Dekkard. Having an open mind is very important with the new Halloween. I saw it twice yesterday, one was a special screening and one was the midnight showing.

I walked out of the special screening and thought it was crap. When I saw it again, I loved it. I think the biggest factor was that I knew what to expect and I knew going in the second time, THIS ISN'T JOHN CARPENTER'S HALLOWEEN!
Because its not, its Rob Zombie's. And you know, it worked.
I think Carpenter's wins for mystery. What made JC's Halloween scary was the fact that we never know where Michael is. We see him in the window, but then he's gone!
In RZ's film, Michael is everywhere, we see him walking right behind the girls. And that works in a different way. I mean, having him stand there watching TV behind Lyndsey...creepy. In fact, there were ample creepyness moments in this film.
Michael taking the mask out of the floorboards and just staring at it, that was fucking creepy. And I really like the idea of the mask and knife being from the original killings. That is very cool!
Also, paul hanging there with the pumpkin on his head with Michael swinging him back and forth...creepy.
Its funny, after my repeat viewing, I noticed a lot more, because I was less concerned with what happens next and with what was going on there and now.
Like Brackett worked a lot better for me the second viewing. Brad Douriff is a brilliant actor, as is Malcolm Mcdowell. I hope to see both back for a sequel.
For all of you who thought it sucked, I'd recommend a repeat viewing. I think it gets better the second time around.
Hell, I think the end is awesome. That stalking music is so fucking cool! The scene in the pool, and in the house. Great stuff.
And I haven't even mentioned it yet, but Tyler did the best job playing Myers that I've seen since Nick Castle in the original Halloween. He was fucking scary, but not just because he was huge. His movements, mannerisms, and just his presence on screen just brilliant!
Honestly, it was a totally different Halloween, and I'm so glad it wasn't just recycled garbage. It had originality, invention, and Zombie got the Halloween atmosphere down and definately gets points for creepiness. The acting is brilliant, especially with the young Myers.
Overall, its probably one of the best films I've seen all summer.

MacG
08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Actually, everything in the original made sense because Carpenter had yet to get drunk and come up with the brother/sister thing in Halloween II.

Crap?

Seriously, I love Zombie's films, but he should've known better. This movie is just downright idiotic.
And I'm already getting sick of people saying "Don't compare it with the original!" Tell that to Rob Zombie...

well then, after you saw halloween II did that make you think any less of the original? i don't think so.

and also, how was it crap? all of your reasons for it being "crap" apply to the original as well, and that certainly isn't crap. and i've never said anything about comparing it to the original. obviously, we all are going to compare it, because it is a "re-imagining", but nonetheless this is a great film. I enjoyed it, and thats all that matters.

MacG
08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
I completely agree with Dekkard. Having an open mind is very important with the new Halloween. I saw it twice yesterday, one was a special screening and one was the midnight showing.

I walked out of the special screening and thought it was crap. When I saw it again, I loved it. I think the biggest factor was that I knew what to expect and I knew going in the second time, THIS ISN'T JOHN CARPENTER'S HALLOWEEN!
I think Carpenter's wins for mystery. What made JC's Halloween scary was the fact that we never know where Michael is. We see him in the window, but then he's gone!
In RZ's film, Michael is everywhere, we see him walking right behind the girls. And that works in a different way. I mean, having him stand there watching TV behind Lyndsey...creepy. In fact, there were ample creepyness moments in this film.
Michael taking the mask out of the floorboards and just staring at it, that was fucking creepy. And I really like the idea of the mask and knife being from the original killings. That is very cool!
Also, paul hanging there with the pumpkin on his head with Michael swinging him back and forth...creepy.
Its funny, after my repeat viewing, I noticed a lot more, because I was less concerned with what happens next and with what was going on there and now.
Like Brackett worked a lot better for me the second viewing. Brad Douriff is a brilliant actor, as is Malcolm Mcdowell. I hope to see both back for a sequel.
For all of you who thought it sucked, I'd recommend a repeat viewing. I think it gets better the second time around.
Hell, I think the end is awesome. That stalking music is so fucking cool! The scene in the pool, and in the house. Great stuff.
And I haven't even mentioned it yet, but Tyler did the best job playing Myers that I've seen since Nick Castle in the original Halloween. He was fucking scary, but not just because he was huge. His movements, mannerisms, and just his presence on screen just brilliant!
Honestly, it was a totally different Halloween, and I'm so glad it wasn't just recycled garbage. It had originality, invention, and Zombie got the Halloween atmosphere down and definately gets points for creepiness. The acting is brilliant, especially with the young Myers.

I completely agree with everything you just said. Although i've only seen it once today, i'll probably go again tonight and like it even more. It was original, but at the same time it was based off of JC's Halloween. I liked how different it was compared to JC's version. I came into it thinking it was going to be different, maybe thats why I liked it so much the first time.

Patrick1679
08-31-2007, 12:10 PM

I TOTALLY agree with everything you said. Michael kicked ass. There were plenty of creepy moments. Him standing there behind Lyndsey...:bow:

How about being behind the door whe nLaurie goes to the house. The door slowly closes then he walks out of the shadows.:bow:

Yeah, I forgot when he has Paul hanging there and he's "playing" with him.:bow:

I can go on and on. I loved it! I can't believe people are condemning it so much. It's a NEW movie! I can't wait to see it again! You're right maybe people need to see it again?

Stoferman87
08-31-2007, 12:13 PM

I have a simple answer...He killed Lynda because she was a slut just like his sister and she was fucking Bob in the house just like Judith was Steve, He was disgusted by her so he killed her. Notice that he doesn't kill Annie, Just her boyfriend who "would" of put up a fight more then Annie, He just takes her down to make sure she doesnt get in the way of him going after Laurie.
If you watch Lauries house is about a block or so from the Myers house and Annie & Lynda seem to live Close and we know Tommy who lives right across the street from Lindsay only lives atleast 3 to 4 blocks away so he can get there by walking, the shot to shot scenes are cut so we don't know how much time passes as he goes from place to place, your just supposed to assume that its been atleast 10-15 minutes between each house entrence except between Tommy & Lindsays house's...Hope that can help, But that is mostly MY Opinion on that, it's easier to understand if you think like that :D

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 12:16 PM
I TOTALLY agree with everything you said. Michael kicked ass. There were plenty of creepy moments. Him standing there behind Lyndsey...:bow:

How about being behind the door whe nLaurie goes to the house. The door slowly closes then he walks out of the shadows.:bow:

Yeah, I forgot when he has Paul hanging there and he's "playing" with him.:bow:

I can go on and on. I loved it! I can't believe people are condemning it so much. It's a NEW movie! I can't wait to see it again! You're right maybe people need to see it again?

Oh yeah, fuck! The part with him being behind the door, OMG that was scary! And like you couldn't see him! It was like when his mask slowly appears in the original behind Laurie, except its like he completly appears out of thin air, but the door is moving! That was a great moment! Its stuff like that where the film wins with me. The little things really add up I think.
I would've liked more of the suspense build-up. Seeing Michael stalking the girls early on, and the bush scene, oh I wish that were there! It's one of my favorite scenes of the original, as is the shape picking up the phone and holding it to his ear.
But I have the original for that. You can't have it all.
The scene that made me jump the most was Mason Strode suddenly being assaulted. It was completely unexpected. I fucking jumped. Brilliant. And I had no idea ET's mom was in there! Man, talk about a brutal death. She should make more movies, she is so cool!

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Everyone keeps bitching about how he got around...HE FUCKING WALKED!

Remember when he attacks big Joe Grizzly, who's trying to pass the taco supreme in peace. We see Michaels feet, and they are nasty looking! That's because he's been walking for hours most likely. I find that believable. I don't mind the angle of him driving away either, but him walking everywhere is just as believabe if not more so.

Ravenheart
08-31-2007, 12:25 PM
I just got back from seeing it and I enjoyed it alot.Its about 3rd or 4th favorite in the series.I definitely want to see it again and I will be getting the DVD when it comes out.Hopefully it'll be an uncut/extended version.
I didn't really have any problems with the dialogue but I do wish there had been more character development for Laurie,Annie,Lynda and Sheriff Brackett.I thought McDowell was great as Loomis but I wasn't and I'm still not sure if he genuinely wanted to help Michael or if he was doing it because it would put him in the spotlight.

Deckard
08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh yeah, fuck! The part with him being behind the door, OMG that was scary! And like you couldn't see him! It was like when his mask slowly appears in the original behind Laurie, except its like he completly appears out of thin air, but the door is moving! That was a great moment! Its stuff like that where the film wins with me. The little things really add up I think.
I would've liked more of the suspense build-up. Seeing Michael stalking the girls early on, and the bush scene, oh I wish that were there! It's one of my favorite scenes of the original, as is the shape picking up the phone and holding it to his ear.
But I have the original for that. You can't have it all.
The scene that made me jump the most was Mason Strode suddenly being assaulted. It was completely unexpected. I fucking jumped. Brilliant. And I had no idea ET's mom was in there! Man, talk about a brutal death. She should make more movies, she is so cool!

When Michael swipped Mr. Strode so suddenly...I jumped out of my skin. I too would have liked to see an even longer version of the film with more of Laurie, Annie and Lynda- but not really because I feel the small amount of time they were on screen "RUINED" the film like so many reviewers are clamoring on about (but they can think what they want...). No, I want to see more because I enjoyed the actresses and just want to see more of Zombie's take on these characters. I hope there is a lot of deleted footage and they release a DVD with them included. Seriously, I would not have minded sitting through a two and a half hour HALLOWEEN film. Throw some more character moments in there. I've sat through a summer full of over-long, over-bloated films...I suppose my biggest qualm with RZ's HALLOWEEN is officially that it is just so overstuffed with...well, stuff...that I was just overwhelmed. I wanna see it again SO BAD!!!!!!! Agh...I know I'll enjoy it even more.

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
I love that they have "Mr. Sandman" in the opening, Great wink at Hallween 2

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Everyone keeps bitching about how he got around...HE FUCKING WALKED!

Remember when he attacks big Joe Grizzly, who's trying to pass the taco supreme in peace. We see Michaels feet, and they are nasty looking! That's because he's been walking for hours most likely. I find that believable. I don't mind the angle of him driving away either, but him walking everywhere is just as believabe if not more so.
I think part of the problem people are having with this is that Smith's Grove, in H1, is established as being 150 miles from Haddonfield. But since they're both fictional towns, Zombie could have relocated them...moved them much closer to one another.

Gerry f'n D
08-31-2007, 12:32 PM

Just like it was used for the opening of H20

cheers

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
When Michael swipped Mr. Strode so suddenly...I jumped out of my skin. I too would have liked to see an even longer version of the film with more of Laurie, Annie and Lynda- but not really because I feel the small amount of time they were on screen "RUINED" the film like so many reviewers are clamoring on about (but they can think what they want...). No, I want to see more because I enjoyed the actresses and just want to see more of Zombie's take on these characters. I hope there is a lot of deleted footage and they release a DVD with them included. Seriously, I would not have minded sitting through a two and a half hour HALLOWEEN film. Throw some more character moments in there. I've sat through a summer full of over-long, over-bloated films...I suppose my biggest qualm with RZ's HALLOWEEN is officially that it is just so overstuffed with...well, stuff...that I was just overwhelmed. I wanna see it again SO BAD!!!!!!! Agh...I know I'll enjoy it even more.

Its funny really what people think "ruins" a film. Honestly, it all comes down to personal taste AND being in the mindset of this is a remake of the original. I think I finally understand why RZ has been saying, its a reinvisioning, and all that jazz. Because it is. A remake would've been like the new Psycho, which was god awful.
This wasn't just a shot for shot remake, it was something new, with hat tips to the original that were well placed.
I'm thinking I might go see it again tonight at like 7 and see how a normal audience responds to it.
I say normal because all the people who saw it yesterday were hardcore fans for the most part.

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
I think part of the problem people are having with this is that Smith's Grove, in H1, is established as being 150 miles from Haddonfield. But since they're both fictional towns, Zombie could have relocated them...moved them much closer to one another.

True, true. Again, its comparing it religiously to the original that is getting people upset.
This is a totally different film. And thank goodness for that. Im tired of getting the same crap over and over. This was fresh, creepy, dark, brutal and not a carbon copy of the original or Zombie's other work.

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 12:38 PM

Having "Don't fear the reaper" and "sandman" was so cool! The music was well done. It really helps the atmosphere come alive and bring in that Halloween feeling to the film.

JamesHeil
08-31-2007, 12:49 PM
I've decided to write a review of my own, so here it goes...

I really liked how Rob Zombie introduced the Myers family, it gives us more prespective on how Michael's lifestyle is really like and how we get to know Deborah, Judith & Ronnie. However, I did not like how we didn't get to see more of Laurie, Annie & Lynda ok so we already know more about them from the original but they've revamped the characters and gave Laurie more life, which I was really glad about and I think Scout pulled the character off, she made Laurie her own and changed her up which is good coz its 2007 and John Carpenters Halloween has already been made so they're not trying to replace that in anyway coz its actually impossible considering it has already been made and spawned 7 sequals, this is Rob's Halloween, his version. I was over the moon when I found out that Danielle Harris was back, even though Rob didn't want anyone from the previous films to be cast, he made the right choice letting Danielle come back, her take on Annie was just amazing and even though the characters of Annie and Lynda aren't really introduced properly etc they are really likeable characters and you, well I don't know if you would, but I really cared about what happens to them, but I really did think Rob rushed that part way too fast. When I watched Halloween for the 2nd time I didnt even notice how short the 3rd part of the film was, but I did when I first watched it lol the only thing I have to say bad about Malcolm's take on Dr Loomis was just the line "As a matter of fact...I do believe it was" I didn't really like how they made that longer by adding I do believe but hey! its a completely different film so I can live with that! Tyler was awesome as adult Michael, he brought the character something new, I don't know what yet lol but it's good, I wish that Rob didn't make Michael appear everywhere though coz he is in like every scene its like "oh my god how'd he get there so quick!?" but other than that I really loved this film and it has turned into my favorite Halloween film ever. Sheri was amazing the relationship between her character, Deborah and Ronnie made me laugh so much, but I don't think Rob intended that to happen. Daeg was great at young Michael and Hanna Hall brought out the bitch in Judith which was quite interesting to see coz we never got that in the original so Im glad we have a back story and a present story all in one. I'd rate the film 8/10. Oh and two more things, the music rocked! we got most of the original soundtrack which I enjoyed and I also liked how Rob filmed it in the same place as John Carpenter filmed the original which is really great!

nwiser
08-31-2007, 12:54 PM

I'm curious...anyone know the reasoning for casting him in the movie (not saying its bad, btw)? Is he a friend of RZ's, or a big fan of the original Movie...or did he just happen to be the one who did the best at the auditions?

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 12:57 PM
That's a good question. I havn't read anything about it. I would love to know. Since it was such a short cameo, I wonder if anyone even auditioned for it. I wonder what happened to Adreanne Barbeau?

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Wow, I had no idea the Monkee's drummer was in there!
Interesting choice for cetain. I thought he did a great job in his brief appearance.

DEADICATED FAN
08-31-2007, 01:05 PM
This is a good post and you made some good points. (i do agree on Rob relying on us thinking of the original and throwing in 'classic' moments to compensate for his trademark stuff) I've a strong feeling that these things are going to be the main problems I’ll have when seeing it and looking back on it in the long run. I just hope it's enjoyable enough to watch on repeat viewings, because that's what this franchise is all about!
***Glad you find my opinion fair and approve. Reading some of the reviews here I see an overall mix so far, but this was all inevitable I guess. One thing I cannot understand though is when fans begin to compare-up this film to previous Halloween sequels? I doubt Rob's mindset in the beginning was to settle for "It'll be better than Resurrection - so suck it up yawl..." His purpose, vision or REimagining if I recall was to understand and answer some unanswered questions? Well that was basically ACT 1 folks during the red-neck-circus... But the fact remains that in this world there are Devils Rejects movies & Halloween movies put them together in a blender and you have Rob Zombies Halloween - it's just that simple and in this film distractingly obvious! Do you think that if George Romero REimagined Halloween he would script it up with his zombies? No that would be too easy not to mention unrealistic and overly stupid right? But there unfortunately you’ll find Rob’s answer and where our beloved Halloween franchise finds itself in 2007. Maybe next Rob can REimagine the original Nightmare? I just hope next time he'll respect the Nightmare fans enough to REimagine the title too. To "Nightmare at the Skull F_ _ _ in' Trailer Park" enough said; now I can move onto looking forward to "THE STRANGERS" Looks insanely-sick! Can't wait! JM/DF

Thanatos
08-31-2007, 01:11 PM
It's a good film. I think. I probably enjoyed it more because I was so hyped for this but I can't help but feel a little disappointed.

It's a pretty good movie on it's own but it's despicable as a remake. It's still a movie I very much enjoy and I think it's better than most sequels. But the original is the best horror film ever made so it's hard to be better.

But the fact is, Rob don't understand the original film. He didn't understand what made it work. The most important facts for him were the mask for example. The mask meant nothing. In Zombie's film it was linked to his childhood. That's some warped mentality there. It's almost like he thought that we liked Halloween because Michael was wearing a mask.

Oh and killing Loomis. Brilliant. Not.

AJ*
08-31-2007, 01:18 PM
I'll have an in depth review up later but right now I just have to say this movie is horrible. Just plain horrible. Not one...not ONE character did I care for in this film except the janitor. Rob did his own thing with the first act...good for him. I loathed the white trash family but didn't mind the sanitarium scenes (which didn't really give any insight to Michael but illustrated his transformation into being mute).

Once Michael breaks out of the sanitarium the 2nd act is like a damn cliche of every crap horror sequel (Friday the 13th included) that we've seen the past 25+ years. Cringe-worthy dialogue, annoying characters you couldn't give 2 shits about, a killer that teleports from one area to the next in the blink of an eye, etc. The last 25 minutes is almost a re-enactment of a lengthy sequence from Halloween 5...no kidding.

I can forgive a lot in horror films because there's usually some redeeming quality I can focus on to take my mind off the rest but when I'm not invested in ANY character (including Michael himself), or the story, and the deaths are hidden behind horrible shaky camerawork and rapid fire edits I'm going to start seeing every flaw there is because I'm fuckin bored and that's what happened here. I can't stand films that don't attempt to at least treat its audience with a little respect. This film just seemed to be half-assed with very little thought past the first act.

ColdArmy13
08-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Many good opinions here. I completely agree with Dr.Loomis02 about this movie though. I really really enjoyed it. I thought Myers was genuinely frightening again. The actor that played adult myers was amazing with how he worked his movements. Reminded me very much of the first Myers in Halloween.

I do believe the backstory of young michael could have been scaled down some in an effort to spend a little more time on the girls late in the show.

Overall though i really really liked this movie. Didnt care for that work print.. but went at saw the theatrical cut today and enjoyed it MUCH more.

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I'll have an in depth review up later but right now I just have to say this movie is horrible. Just plain horrible. Not one...not ONE character did I care for in this film except the janitor. Rob did his own thing with the first act...good for him. I loathed the white trash family but didn't mind the sanitarium scenes (which didn't really give any insight to Michael but illustrated his transformation into being mute).

Once Michael breaks out of the sanitarium the 2nd act is like a damn cliche of every crap horror sequel (Friday the 13th included) that we've seen the past 25+ years. Cringe-worthy dialogue, annoying characters you couldn't give 2 shits about, a killer that teleports from one area to the next in the blink of an eye, etc. The last 25 minutes is almost a re-enactment of a lengthy sequence from Halloween 5...no kidding.

I can forgive a lot in horror films because there's usually some redeeming quality I can focus on to take my mind off the rest but when I'm not invested in ANY character (including Michael himself), or the story, and the deaths are hidden behind horrible shaky camerawork and rapid fire edits I'm going to start seeing every flaw there is because I'm fuckin bored and that's what happened here. I can't stand films that don't attempt to at least treat its audience with a little respect. This film just seemed to be half-assed with very little thought past the first act.

Your opinion is totally understandable. I think many are feeling this way. I happen to disagree of course, but I think I know where you're coming from.

I must say that I certainly wasn't completly uninvested in the characters. I did not want to see Laurie's character die. I love the Loomis character also. Strangely enough, I was really glad that Nancy didn't die! I don't think that the characters were horrible at all. And I have to disagree about the last 25 minutes. It could be said it was a lengthy reinactment of most of the Halloween films.
I found it thrilling. I do see the similarities between H5 and this one, but I liked this film's approach far better. One, I actually liked the movie and the characters. I mean there is no Tina character that I want to see sliced just because I hate her.
In fact, its far scarier than anything in H5. Plus the creepyness factor.

Thanatos
08-31-2007, 01:30 PM
It is a much creepier film than any sequels after 2.

GGMyers
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
oh something i was wondering guys!
is the scene where michael chases laurie back to the doyles house really as short as it was in those clips posted on dreadcentral etc?

ColdArmy13
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
It is a much creepier film than any sequels after 2.

I agree. Very much so.

Did RZ have to squeeze a lot into the second half? Hell yes.

I thought every chase.. or stalk i should say.. was very well done. I really liked how Michael Myers came off this time around. More brutal than the first film.. but still very creepy and still had the same traits as the original. Boyish when he looks at his victims / appearing from shadows / etc.

steelcityjeff
08-31-2007, 01:37 PM
just saw it today (first showing )i liked it, i liked the slayer shirt on the one girl and i liked the classic misfits song halloween being played before the cheerleader got killed!i loved the take on your mike and his family! dont like that dr. loomis and mike died but this is not for seqs. i thought it was a great job. oh course the org. will always remain the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

AJ*
08-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Your opinion is totally understandable. I think many are feeling this way. I happen to disagree of course, but I think I know where you're coming from.

I must say that I certainly wasn't completly uninvested in the characters. I did not want to see Laurie's character die. I love the Loomis character also. Strangely enough, I was really glad that Nancy didn't die! I don't think that the characters were horrible at all. And I have to disagree about the last 25 minutes. It could be said it was a lengthy reinactment of most of the Halloween films.
I found it thrilling. I do see the similarities between H5 and this one, but I liked this film's approach far better. One, I actually liked the movie and the characters. I mean there is no Tina character that I want to see sliced just because I hate her.
In fact, its far scarier than anything in H5. Plus the creepyness factor.

LOL. I have to disagree here. Laurie, Lynda and Annie were their own versions of Tina in this film. All of'em got on my nerves and I wanted them all to die. Laurie, after what seemed to be at least 10 minutes straight screaming "somebody help me" actually got a couple of "shut up bitch" statements from the audience which was some welcomed comic relief to get me through this film :roflmao:

terror
08-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Here is what I didn't like about the movie....
-I felt the storyline was rushed
-A little too much vulgarity in the dialogue
-At the end of the movie with Michael chasing Laurie around I couldn't help thinking that it took way too much time out of the movie
-Ronnie was a little on the ridiculous side sometimes

Other than that the movie was amazing. I really liked the movie the way it was, brings a whole new outlook on Michael Myers and I like that. Daeg was spectacular with his acting, he was very convincing. And I'm glad they put the Bob getting stabbed to the wall scene in there, that is one of my favorite parts in the original and I'm glad that was in this. I always wondered why in the original Bob didn't try to yell and scream and kick and punch like he did in this one.

Though, the movie wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.... it still blew my mind.

terror
08-31-2007, 01:41 PM
I agree. Very much so.

Did RZ have to squeeze a lot into the second half? Hell yes.

I thought every chase.. or stalk i should say.. was very well done. I really liked how Michael Myers came off this time around. More brutal than the first film.. but still very creepy and still had the same traits as the original. Boyish when he looks at his victims / appearing from shadows / etc.

Agreed, couldn't have said it better.

ColdArmy13
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
just saw it today (first showing )i liked it, i liked the slayer shirt on the one girl and i liked the classic misfits song halloween being played before the cheerleader got killed!i loved the take on your mike and his family! dont like that dr. loomis and mike died but this is not for seqs. i thought it was a great job. oh course the org. will always remain the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Im not so sure Loomis is dead.. but thats just me not wanting him to be :)

Michael certainly cant be assumed dead.. no matter what happens to him. He was shot in each eye and blown up before for god sakes.

Another thing i forgot to mention previously was that I loved the fact Myers walked a fine line between human and inhuman. Yes he was blowing through doors and windows.. but he is very very large and im sure freakishly strong. He did get shot a few times.. but the police officer appeared to shoot him in the shoulder and there wasnt really any way to see where Loomis shot him.. except one apparent one on his shoulder.. it could go either way.

nwiser
08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh yea, am I the only one who noticed a homage to a certain scene from E.T?

aha! so that's how Michael got from place to place so fast...he flew in a bicycle! haha.

j/k :bastard:

Dr_Loomis02
08-31-2007, 01:44 PM
LOL. I have to disagree here. Laurie, Lynda and Annie were their own versions of Tina in this film. All of'em got on my nerves and I wanted them all to die. Laurie, after what seemed to be at least 10 minutes straight screaming "somebody help me" actually got a couple of "shut up bitch" statements from the audience which was some welcomed comic relief to get me through this film :roflmao:

Really? Hmmmm.... I didn't get that in my showing. But I guess its different for everyone. I thought she did an outstanding job. The last act was very thrilling IMO. But again, its all a matter of opinion.

Miss_Myers
08-31-2007, 01:44 PM
i think the scene with Laurie at the end was way too drawn out also^, i definetly enjoyed the movie and it shows us a whole new michael myers, i also like how Zombie kept ALL the original music,( not just the Halloween theme)

ColdArmy13
08-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Here is what I didn't like about the movie....
-I felt the storyline was rushed
-A little too much vulgarity in the dialogue
-At the end of the movie with Michael chasing Laurie around I couldn't help thinking that it took way too much time out of the movie
-Ronnie was a little on the ridiculous side sometimes

Other than that the movie was amazing. I really liked the movie the way it was, brings a whole new outlook on Michael Myers and I like that. Daeg was spectacular with his acting, he was very convincing. And I'm glad they put the Bob getting stabbed to the wall scene in there, that is one of my favorite parts in the original and I'm glad that was in this. I always wondered why in the original Bob didn't try to yell and scream and kick and punch like he did in this one.

Though, the movie wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.... it still blew my mind.

Im not sure if you've seen the work print or first version of the movie.. but its much different. I watched the work print and was really worried bc i didnt really like a lot of the parts in the movie.. in both halfs. I was very pleasantly suprised with what they did to the theatrical release. MUCH better as a whole and it moved along much better.

Since bob getting knifed into the wall was one of your favorite moments.. you should know that in the work print he goes out to the van for beers and the same thing.. empty beer cans in the cooler. He is simply pulled into the fan and is stabbed about 4-5 times.. nothing more. I was very very pleased they put that original scene back in.

ColdArmy13
08-31-2007, 01:48 PM
i think the scene with Laurie at the end was way too drawn out also^, i definetly enjoyed the movie and it shows us a whole new michael myers, i also like how Zombie kept ALL the original music,( not just the Halloween theme)

AHHH yes i forgot to mention that.. with exception to a few tweaks here and there its all the halloween music we know and love. Nothing better than hearing that DUN.. DUDUN.. DUN.. DUDUN during a chase :)

Padams
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
I absolutely loved how Michael looked lying on the leaves in the empty pool after Dr. Loomis had shot him. The way the camera rose, it just struck me as .. strangely neat. I was glad to see that stupid "Spy Kids" kid die. That little bitch -- wow, I sound like a Myers.

Were they showing "The Thing" on the television sets?

The Ox
08-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Coldarmy13 said I was very pleasantly suprised with what they did to the theatrical release. MUCH better as a whole and it moved along much better.

Thank you sir for clearing this did they add alot of scenes and take alot out and replace it with other stuff ? if you can awnser this without spoilers it would be great as i have not yet gone to see it yet thanks if not that is ok to. I seen the online one but everything in the commercials well most was not in the online one so i am sure the theaters will be a far different version.

Lupinus
08-31-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm leaving soon to see it but I just wanted to make one comment.

Myers does have legs doesn't he? Feet? Ok, there you have it, thats how he got around without a car. Mystery solved and I haven't even see nthe damn movie yet.

Padams
08-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Oh, and where was the girl who won what contest at the Halloween convention? I didn't see her in the movie at all. Poor dear must've gotten cut .. or else was thrown in with the reporters at the massacre scene.

Todd
08-31-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm guessing that the majority of fans, both hard core and casual, will like this movie. I've been a fan since '78, and though this new version has some flaws, it's still excellent. I don't know what movie some of the so called critics saw, but it must not have been the one that I did.

Todd
08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Zombie himself confirmed that very thing in one video interview I saw.
The interviewer asked him how Michael could get 150 miles without driving this time, and Zombie said, "What makes you think it's that far away?", or something like that. Michael simply walked to Haddonfield.

The Ox
08-31-2007, 02:15 PM
It might of been to hard for them.

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
i honestly didnt like the first half of the film but i loved the second half once the girls came in... but can someone clairfy what the hell happened at the end with loomis and then laurie shooting mikey? i mean i get it but i wonder if someone could just clairfy it for me thanks

Todd
08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
i honestly didnt like the first half of the film but i loved the second half once the girls came in... but can someone clairfy what the hell happened at the end with loomis and then laurie shooting mikey? i mean i get it but i wonder if someone could just clairfy it for me thanks
You mean whether or not Michael is dead at the end?
I don't think that was supposed to be clear.

terror
08-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Im not sure if you've seen the work print or first version of the movie.. but its much different. I watched the work print and was really worried bc i didnt really like a lot of the parts in the movie.. in both halfs. I was very pleasantly suprised with what they did to the theatrical release. MUCH better as a whole and it moved along much better.

Since bob getting knifed into the wall was one of your favorite moments.. you should know that in the work print he goes out to the van for beers and the same thing.. empty beer cans in the cooler. He is simply pulled into the fan and is stabbed about 4-5 times.. nothing more. I was very very pleased they put that original scene back in.

I saw the theatrical version last night at midnight.

I dunno I guess I was expecting to see a lot more of his childhood and all.

AJ*
08-31-2007, 02:20 PM

?? Loomis got his eyes gouged out and looked like he was left for dead. Laurie shoots Michael...the end.

One more thing about Loomis. How in the hell did he go from a bloody face when having his eyes gouged out to a Mr. Clean face when Michael is dragging his body? How can such an amateurish mistake like that make it into the final cut of the film?

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 02:24 PM
i wondered about that too...but thanks i didnt relaize it was his eyes getting gouged i just thought he was crushing the skull.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-31-2007, 02:24 PM
One more thing about Loomis. How in the hell did he go from a bloody face when having his eyes gouged out to a Mr. Clean face when Michael is dragging his body? How can such an amateurish mistake like that make it into the final cut of the film?
Maybe Zombie got nostalgic about some of the past continuity errors in the series. haha Like Michael wearing his mask before he gets it in H1...or the downright hilarious ones in H:R. :yeah:

Stoferman87
08-31-2007, 02:27 PM
?? Loomis got his eyes gouged out and looked like he was left for dead. Laurie shoots Michael...the end.

Maybe they were fixing it so Loomis could live for the seqal? maybe they couldnt reshoot? who knows? All's I know is Michael getting shot was a great way for people to think there will be no seqal...how much you wanna bet there will be? I also love that if theres another film, we get to see Laurie, Annie, AND POSSIBLY Loomis, We never heard cracking or a Crunch when he was holding Loomises head, I didn't see the Eye Gouging scene well.

Maybe we'll see a blind Loomis in # 2, but he wont see us! :D

MischievousSpirit
08-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Maybe Zombie got nostalgic about some of the past continuity errors in the series. haha Like Michael wearing his mask before he gets it in H1...or the downright hilarious ones in H:R. :yeah:

You mean like H:R as a whole, right?

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-31-2007, 02:35 PM
You mean like H:R as a whole, right?
Well...haha...I wouldn't call the whole thing a continuity error. Just a really shit film. It did have some classic continuity problems, though. Remember when there were rumors that the continuity would be fixed for the DVD release? hahaha

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Forgive me for asking a stupid question but IS there a different version than the theatrical version? Some of the comments seem to suggest that? HELP

AJ*
08-31-2007, 02:40 PM

H:R is just about erased out of my memory. H1's continuity error wasn't as glaring. You can't have a bloody face one shot and then the very next shot have a closeup of the victim with a spit shined face. Hell, CGI some blood on that MFer :roflmao:

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 02:41 PM
i find it interesting that annie is still alive and if theres a sequel(most likely will be) you know its not going to go in the same direction as the previous series

Sirand
08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm guessing that the majority of fans, both hard core and casual, will like this movie.

Right now the praises have been in the minority. This is actually one of the most trashed remakes since Psycho.

Michaeleon
08-31-2007, 02:45 PM
I too was surprised to see Annie live (or at least she appeared to be). My theory is that he was using her as bait for Laurie. If she came across two dead bodies as soon as she opens the door then she is likely to run out of the house. Instead, Annie was immobilized and hurting. Laurie was then forced to stay with her friend. That gives him a chance to get her. It was Laurie's good conscience that put her in danger.
My favorite death was the first one with the bully. Although I had difficulty watching that one I felt the true brutality of Michael's rage. My favorite part was probably the Smith's Grove scene when young Michael flips out and the sirens go off. It was here that Deborah lost her final bit of hope that she could cope and deal.

matthew28
08-31-2007, 02:46 PM

I completely disagree.They were nothing like Tina,

You can't expect them to act all morose and somber.They didn't know they were about to be killed.Of course they are gonna be joking around and shit.Danielle Harris did an outstanding job,and I thought Scout took the part of Laurie and made it her own ,while being reasonably close to the original(taking into consideration we are comparing a girl from the 21st century to a girl from the 1970's).

That said Linda ,true to form from the original,was a total bitch(liike totally. :) ) and I enjoyed her death. :nodsmile:

I think it's funny that some people are complaining that it was too much like the original and others are complaining it wasn't enough like the original.

If You give the movie a chance as it's own movie it is really good.

If You go in expecting the original, than you should know better, and deserve what you get.
I've waited since 1989 to see Danielle Harris in another Halloween movie.It was worth the wait.

terror
08-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Right now the praises have been in the minority. This is actually one of the most trashed remakes since Psycho.

That is because hardly any of them are looking at this as a new look to Michael Myers... everyone keeps comparing it to the original. So of course they're going to be pissed about it. I went in there hoping not to see the same shit from the original. That is why I liked the beginning of the movie I think, because it was new, fresh, things that I hadn't seen before. Then when the "remake" parts came I wasn't as excited.

Ravenheart
08-31-2007, 02:48 PM
I wasn't expecting to see Danielle doing a topless scene.

terror
08-31-2007, 02:51 PM

I'd imagine that you're a lot older than I am, most people are on this forum. But I was in high school a little over a year ago... and that is exactly how girls in high school act, and talk. I thought the dialogue between the 3 of them was very natural. And sure, maybe they were annoying... but what high school girl isn't?

There own versions of Tina though.... nah.

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
If You give the movie a chance as it's own movie it is really good.

i totally agree with you its a good movie and maybe ti time will become its own cult classic... i wish people would stop comparing it to the original...its not the original and its not supposed to be

My theory is that he was using her as bait for Laurie. If she came across two dead bodies as soon as she opens the door then she is likely to run out of the house. Instead, Annie was immobilized and hurting. Laurie was then forced to stay with her friend. That gives him a chance to get her. It was Laurie's good conscience that put her in danger.
that's interesting but then after laurie went to call and michael had the chance why didnt he just finish off annie?

Khan
08-31-2007, 02:52 PM
i totally agree with you its a good movie and maybe ti time will become its own cult classic... i wish people would stop comparing it to the original...its not the original and its not supposed to be

It will get compared to the original...get used to it.

terror
08-31-2007, 02:55 PM

I love how you always speak the very blunt truth haha

But you are right... even though it shouldn't!

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 02:55 PM
it shouldnt as much as it is though

and that is exactly how girls in high school act, and talk. I thought the dialogue between the 3 of them was very natural. And sure, maybe they were annoying... but what high school girl isn't?
i agree well...TOTALLY haha i was just in highschool about 3 months ago and thats how we act...we're bitches to those we dont like but act like we do...

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't think Michael went back to kill Laurie in this movie. He didn't really do anything to her untill AFTER she stabbed HIM. He seemed to want to relate to her with the picture and all. Anybody else see this?

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
i did but id be pissed off too if my sister stabbed me...sorry i killed your friends but noone would tell me where you were... haha

mothman
08-31-2007, 02:59 PM
How is the halloween (atmosphere) in the movie? I think the last few movies were weak in that respect.

Khan
08-31-2007, 03:01 PM
I love how you always speak the very blunt truth haha

I call it as I see it. ;)

Remakes will always be compared to originals.

matthew28

I feel You're right,but those that go in comparing it to the original are gonna spend an hour and forty five minutes missing a good movie so that they can replay the original in their own heads.

If they are that intent on disliking the movie they should save themselves some money.

That being said though ,this movie might not be everybody's cup of tea and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I did enjoy it though. :)

ColdArmy13
Coldarmy13 said I was very pleasantly suprised with what they did to the theatrical release. MUCH better as a whole and it moved along much better.

Thank you sir for clearing this did they add alot of scenes and take alot out and replace it with other stuff ? if you can awnser this without spoilers it would be great as i have not yet gone to see it yet thanks if not that is ok to. I seen the online one but everything in the commercials well most was not in the online one so i am sure the theaters will be a far different version.

Without spoilers?

Well they removed pretty much everything i thought was unneeded. They also added some good stuff and some mediocre stuff. For instance.. if youve seen the work print.. the way michael escapes from the asylum is completely different.. and much better since the way he escapes from the asylum in the work print was totally rediculous IMO. I also think the pacing was better in the T.C. The end does seem a little rushed but still very much better than the work print.

lauriestrodefan
08-31-2007, 03:06 PM
imo editing of th emovie sucked and i didnt like this version at all. should have stuck with the original script of halloween.

terror
08-31-2007, 03:07 PM
How is the halloween (atmosphere) in the movie? I think the last few movies were weak in that respect.

Better, they actually had little remarks about it being cold outside (like it is around Halloween in the midwest) unlike the original when Annie goes outside in some little night gown thing.... yeah, definitely not... she would freeze her ass off for sure.

MischievousSpirit
08-31-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but when Michael hands Laurie the picture; It totally reminded me of the attic scene between Michael and Jamie in H5. Am I crazy? :crazy:

terror
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM
imo editing of th emovie sucked and i didnt like this version at all. should have stuck with the original script of halloween.

Then go pop you're John Carpenter's Halloween into your DVD player and watch it :nodsmile:

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
this is going to sound really dumb but i loved the last part where michael and laurie go through the balcony and then she shoots him and then screams

DEADICATED FAN
08-31-2007, 03:13 PM
I feel You're right,but those that go in comparing it to the original are gonna spend an hour and forty five minutes missing a good movie so that they can replay the original in their own heads.

If they are that intent on disliking the movie they should save themselves some money.

That being said though ,this movie might not be everybody's cup of tea and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

You just described the whole reason why REMAKES suck to begin with. The purpose of one is the almighty dollar only and unfortunately this film will suffer the same fate as every cheasy REMAKE made before it .

ColdArmy13
08-31-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but when Michael hands Laurie the picture; It totally reminded me of the attic scene between Michael and Jamie in H5. Am I crazy? :crazy:

Same here, definately.

AJ*
08-31-2007, 03:18 PM

No...that's why I mentioned that the last 20-25 minutes played out like H5 to me. The unmasking. The big chase through the house, etc. I thought H5's laundry chute scene was a hell of a lot better than Michael playing demolition man with the 2x4. Never in my life did I think I would say H5 did something BETTER :roflmao:

Michaeleon
08-31-2007, 03:19 PM
that's interesting but then after laurie went to call and michael had the chance why didnt he just finish off annie?
True, I almost forgot that he was lingering behind the door. Maybe he just switched his focus since his prize was in sight. It didn't matter if Annie lived or died at that point. She wasn't an obstacle.

Ha! Well, even if you hated the editing you gotta admit that Mason Strode's slicing was pretty cool. :D

Nope, I was thinking the same thing, Joe. Long hair too! He was calmed by her presence. Seemed to take him a while to respond to the knife jabbing. Damn, just when Michael was on the verge of reaching nirvana.

Outsider
08-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Back from the theater.

I'm just going to try and forget this film ever happened, just like Halloween III. My opinion is to either get another director, to continue on with the series, or just kill it off now, and have it be done.

This is the first movie since another Rob Zombie produced film, that I considered leaving the theater.

But, somehow, I sat through the previous hour of the movie (which seemed like an eternity), so figured I'd just try to sit it out.

I can't think of one scene I liked in the movie...I was laughing more than I was scared.

Todd
08-31-2007, 03:27 PM
That's not what I'm seeing at all.
One of the most trashed remakes since Psycho?
Give me a break.

mothman
08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
That's not what I'm seeing at all.
One of the most trashed remakes since Psycho?
Give me a break.

I'm really happy to see you enjoyed the film as you are alittle older than me (37). I'm going tomorrow and have been to everyone since H3. Saw H1 in 1981 on tv. Its always good to be able to see a Halloween movie at this time of the year. Brings back some memories.

Ana-Matronic
08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
So do we get to see the strodes get it more than they had in previous cuts? And Annie?

Todd
08-31-2007, 03:31 PM

That's how I feel exactly.
Some people obviously wanted to hate this movie from the day it was announced, and nothing short of a masterpiece would have gotten any praise from them.

Todd
08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm really happy to see you enjoyed the film as you are alittle older than me (37). I'm going tomorrow and have been to everyone since H3. Saw H1 in 1981 on tv. Its always good to be able to see a Halloween movie at this time of the year. Brings back some memories.
Just keep an open mind and don't expect a rehash of the original.
This version is far different, which is what RZ said it would be.
It's also far from perfect, but if a long time and hard core fan like me enjoyed it, I think you will, too.

mothman
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Just keep an open mind and don't expect a rehash of the original.
This version is far different, which is what RZ said it would be.
It's also far from perfect, but if a long time and hard core fan like me enjoyed it, I think you will, too.

Yes, I've heard about things being in the movie that I really like. Atmosphere and music. IMO a rehash of the orginal wouldn't be good anyway. I'm glad to see he changed it up.

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
i havent been a fan for long and ill admit i did compare it to the original but still went in with an open mind and waited till after to draw my own conclusion its not the best film ive ever watched but its sure better than alot of others

mothman
08-31-2007, 03:38 PM
i havent been a fan for long and ill admit i did compare it to the original but still went in with an open mind and waited till after to draw my own conclusion its not the best film ive ever watched but its sure better than alot of others

I'm not sure why but it seems people are expecting too much of this film. We should have learned our lesson over the last 19 years. If its on par with H4 I'll be extremely happy.

carruthers
08-31-2007, 03:39 PM
everyone keeps comparing it to the original.

Yeah, you'd think it was a remake or something.

Outsider
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure why but it seems people are expecting too much of this film.

I was expecting it to be mediocre.

It fell short of my expectations.

Ravenheart
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
That's how I feel exactly.
Some people obviously wanted to hate this movie from the day it was announced, and nothing short of a masterpiece would have gotten any praise from them.

I get the feeling that Alfred Hitchcock could have risen from the grave and directed this and people would have still bitched :lol: :lol:

Todd
08-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah, you'd think it was a remake or something.
It's a remake that Rob Zombie was asked to do.
He thought about it, told Dimension and Malek Akkad his ideas, and they green lit it.
There is no way he could have done as good a job as Carpenter did because he would have had to rip off almost everything from the original, which would have resulted in people bitching about it not being different enough.
RZ made a good, solid installment to the Halloween franchise, bottom line.

I get the feeling that Alfred Hitchcock could have risen from the grave and directed this and people would have still bitched :lol: :lol:
That, my friend, is painfully evident.
People who hardly ever post on this board are showing up just to bitch.
That's their perogative, but it's also annoying.

carruthers
08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
RZ made a good, solid installment to the Halloween franchise, bottom line.

Uh, no, that's your opinion. It's not mine. I am not defending Halloweens 5, 6, or 8, but this was a disaster of epic proportions. And unlike some people, I suspected it from the start. I tried to give him a chance by re-viewing Zombie's prior films, but the fact is the man writes and directs everything the same, like a '70s white trash carnival with classic rock, desperately southern-fried overheated pulp dialogue, and ridiculous performances and drama. I would've appreciated new ideas from any number of talented directors and writers, but nothing Zombie has ever done is original - he takes everything from somewhere else and makes it into a crass joke. I knew what he was going to give me. I expected bad. He gave me worse. And no, if this film as well as Halloween 6 or Halloween 8 prove anything, it is that no Halloween films is better than some Halloween films.

Superman
08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
What was the baby's name that young Michael was holding? I could've sworn they called it Bill at some point. Was that supposed to be Laurie?

MacG
08-31-2007, 03:52 PM
This is a solid installment in the Halloween franchise, and to all the people bitching about how horrible it is, then you are not a true Halloween fan. EVERY single movie in the Halloween franchise has something good about it. yes, even Resurrection. As long as we get to see Michael Myers with the mask on, and him stalking people, I will be more than satisfied. You guys can nit pick all you want, but I love this film for what it is. Of course it has its flaws, but every Halloween film does. Sure, it was fast paced, but it still had the music, the killing, the stalking, the Halloween atmosphere, and the shape in it. Isn't that what a Halloween film is all about? Who cares if it didn't get all the angles right and if the characters didn't say all the right things, it was a good Halloween movie. And to all those who said Rob Zombie killed this series, you obviously hated this movie from the point of its announcement, and were biased while watching it. I do respect your opinions, but to say he killed the series is outrageous.

matthew28
08-31-2007, 03:52 PM

OMG!

I thought the same thing. :)

Good to know I wasn't imagining things.I enjoyed this scene ,in part,because for me, that was one of the more enjoyable/memorable scenes from part 5,and it seems like Zombie had a fondness for the Jamie Lloyd charactor,between some scenes that reminded me of her and going out of his way to cast Danielle.I like a complex Micheal,it seperates him from the other slashers.

MacG
08-31-2007, 03:53 PM
What was the baby's name that young Michael was holding? I could've sworn they called it Bill at some point. Was that supposed to be Laurie?

yes it was Laurie, and they called her "boo"

AJ*
08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
This is a solid installment in the Halloween franchise, and to all the people bitching about how horrible it is, then you are not a true Halloween fan.

Whatever. I rarely give H5, H6, H20, or H8 any love either but I know I'm a fuckin Halloween fan. I don't eat up any garbage that's served on my plate because I'm a FAN. That logic is for idiots.

Khan
This is a solid installment in the Halloween franchise, and to all the people bitching about how horrible it is, then you are not a true Halloween fan. EVERY single movie in the Halloween franchise has something good about it. yes, even Resurrection. As long as we get to see Michael Myers with the mask on, and him stalking people, I will be more than satisfied. You guys can nit pick all you want, but I love this film for what it is. Of course it has its flaws, but every Halloween film does. Sure, it was fast paced, but it still had the music, the killing, the stalking, the Halloween atmosphere, and the shape in it. Isn't that what a Halloween film is all about? Who cares if it didn't get all the angles right and if the characters didn't say all the right things, it was a good Halloween movie. And to all those who said Rob Zombie killed this series, you obviously hated this movie from the point of its announcement, and were biased while watching it. I do respect your opinions, but to say he killed the series is outrageous.

People are entitled to express their opinions.

You loved the movie, but others won't...get used to it.

Outsider
This is a solid installment in the Halloween franchise, and to all the people bitching about how horrible it is, then you are not a true Halloween fan.

I guess there aren't many true Halloween fans around.

And let me get this straight, because 'MacG' on a Halloween forum says if you thought it was horrible, you're not a true Halloween fan? What kind of position are you in to say that?

MyersDisciple
08-31-2007, 03:58 PM
As for why Lynda would randomly choose the Myers house to go play trick or treat with Bob..simple!

It wasnt random guys! She chose it because it was uninhabited and had been for years.
what better place to get up to no good than an abandoned house people generally avoid, especially on Halloween night?

also, as for Compton I am sorry but she was not impressive in my eye as Curtis' portrayal.

Outsider
08-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Uh, no, that's your opinion. It's not mine. I am not defending Halloweens 5, 6, or 8, but this was a disaster of epic proportions. And unlike some people, I suspected it from the start. I tried to give him a chance by re-viewing Zombie's prior films, but the fact is the man writes and directs everything the same, like a '70s white trash carnival with classic rock, desperately southern-fried overheated pulp dialogue, and ridiculous performances and drama. I would've appreciated new ideas from any number of talented directors and writers, but nothing Zombie has ever done is original - he takes everything from somewhere else and makes it into a crass joke. I knew what he was going to give me. I expected bad. He gave me worse. And no, if this film as well as Halloween 6 or Halloween 8 prove anything, it is that no Halloween films is better than some Halloween films.

You're absolutely dead-on here.

Zombie, in MY opinion, is a terrible director, and shouldn't be let near another Halloween film again.

Todd
Of course the opinion I stated was my own.
Whose else would it be?
If you can say it was a disaster, I'm allowed to say otherwise.
You say you went in expecting it to be bad.
Great attitude.
We often get what we expect out of life.
I went in with an open mind and thought it was a good movie.
And yes, that's just my opinion.

mothman
How many gangsters are in this movie?

Masked Murderer
I tried to give him a chance by re-viewing Zombie's prior films, but the fact is the man writes and directs everything the same, like a '70s white trash carnival with classic rock, desperately southern-fried overheated pulp dialogue, and ridiculous performances and drama.

You say he directed Halloween (a 70s film) like a 70s film as if it were a BAD thing...:crazy:

M M

Todd
08-31-2007, 04:02 PM
People are entitled to express their opinions.

You loved the movie, but others won't...get used to it.
He never said people don't have a right to their opinions.
You seem to accuse people of that alot.
He merely expressed his own point of view, which as you pointed out, he's allowed to do.

Khan
08-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Todd, he was saying a TRUE Halloween fan liked this movie.

Todd
08-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Todd, he was saying a TRUE Halloween fan liked this movie.
You bet he did, but he never suggested anyone shouldn't be allowed to have a different point of view. I think a true Halloween fan would want the movie to be good and would at least go in with an open mind.

Joker
08-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey guys! I just can't stop talking about that damned workprint!

MacG
08-31-2007, 04:06 PM
no, I said a true Halloween fan wouldn't be straight up BASHING this movie. They would try and find the good things in it. Its certainly not the best movie in the series, but there are definitely good things about it. If you don't like it, thats fine. But theres no reason to completely destroy the movie.

Todd
08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Workprint workprint workprint workprint.
Michael took a lot of punishment at the end and managed to keep on ticking for awhile, but I didn't see him do anything truly superhuman. To each his or her own, though. I liked the ambiguity of the ending, but I can see why some might not.

MyersDisciple
08-31-2007, 04:08 PM
How totally amusing. you cannot agree with each other at all. some of you should take your own counsel.

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 04:08 PM
its not part of the series folks...1-8 are done this is a new series (hopefully) but yeah a true fan wouldnt bash it up and down but would find some good things about it

carruthers
08-31-2007, 04:09 PM
It actually was a bad thing.

You see, we all love "70s horror," but these days hacks like Rob Zombie use the explanation of "it's a throwback to 70s horror" to excuse anything. 'Oh, there's no reason for the emo montage of little Michael sitting around to "Love Hurts" while my wife bumps and grinds in a stripper joint? Well, the music was very '70s! Oh, the prolonged scenes with the kid being beaten to death with a log or the boyfriend with a bat were downright sadistic and vacuous? But that's just like Last House On The Left or The Hills Have Eyes! Don't you love those classic films? Then you see why I did it!" He expects fans to do what he does - associate his "homages" with the gritty '70s classics we all love, the theory being that "gritty and '70s" works for any kind of horror film as opposed to a specific sub-genre. But they don't work for just any film. This faulty reasoning is the same reason he uses great cult actors like Foree, Trejo, Forsythe, etc over and over and over - he thinks horror fans will ooh and aah at his "cool cameos" and "70s homages" and be as into it as he is, and he forgets to actually write a coherent, intelligent narrative. Each of his three films is basically just one Horror Classics Special Guest Star after another sticking out like a sore thumb with more classic rock and scatological, hardboiled dialogue. Every single female character of any age is always obsessed with tits, sex, drugs, and bodily functions. It's a formula and it's crap.

In fact, the original Halloween was anything but a "70s horror" in the vein of Hills or Last House, both great films but very different. Halloween is sterile, fluidly and elegantly shot and constructed, almost bloodless, and very restrained and trancelike. It has none of the viscerality of Craven's early films. It is completely different. And the film was not about the Shape, but about what the Shape did to people. This film is about a raw, mad killer like the freaks of the '70s grindhouse cinema - some great fun, some just boring - and it makes all other characters and narrative concerns secondary to the hulking vicious brute.

Zombie's biggest problem is he cares much more about the monster than what Halloween is really all about - tension, elegant scares, and quiet, inexorable fear. He doesn't care about Laurie or Loomis or tension. He just wants to see big dudes crushing some skulls, just like when he saw Hills in Times Square when he was a kid.

And if a "true fan" can't rip apart H6 or H5 or H8 for their horrible flaws then trust me, you would consider most people on the old HalloweenMovies website in the 90s "fake fans".

MacG
08-31-2007, 04:09 PM
You bet he did, but he never suggested anyone shouldn't be allowed to have a different point of view. I think a true Halloween fan would want the movie to be good and would at least go in with an open mind.

thank you todd.

Todd
08-31-2007, 04:12 PM
How totally amusing. you cannot agree with each other at all. some of you should take your own counsel.
So we're all supposed to agree?
Now THAT'S truly amusing.

thank you todd.
No problem.

Outsider
08-31-2007, 04:12 PM
no, I said a true Halloween fan wouldn't be straight up BASHING this movie. They would try and find the good things in it. Its certainly not the best movie in the series, but there are definitely good things about it. If you don't like it, thats fine. But theres no reason to completely destroy the movie.

Everyone has their own opinion, bro, no matter what it may be.

You probably won't take me seriously, but I tried to find good things about the movie, I really did. I did the same thing with Resurrection, and I found 3-4 things I liked.

With this, I really honestly couldn't come up with a thing I liked about this movie. I constantly asked my brother what the time was because I couldn't wait to get out of there. One of the only times I considered leaving the theater.

I'm glad you found good things to like about the movie, but everyone is different, and everyone has different tastes that appeal to them. Nothing grabbed me in this particular film.

As for your last sentence, isn't this forum for giving reviews / opinions on the new movie? I'm doing what's asked here, nothing more. I wouldn't be bashing it if I, personally, enjoyed the film.

MacG
08-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Everyone has their own opinion, bro, no matter what it may be.

You probably won't take me seriously, but I tried to find good things about the movie, I really did. I did the same thing with Resurrection, and I found 3-4 things I liked.

With this, I really honestly couldn't come up with a thing I liked about this movie. I constantly asked my brother what the time was because I couldn't wait to get out of there. One of the only times I considered leaving the theater.

I'm glad you found good things to like about the movie, but everyone is different, and everyone has different tastes that appeal to them. Nothing grabbed me in this particular film.

As for your last sentence, isn't this forum for giving reviews / opinions on the new movie? I'm doing what's asked here, nothing more. I wouldn't be bashing it if I, personally, enjoyed the film.

I respect your opinion and all that, but this movie is very much like the original (besides the parts with Michael as a kid), so how did you not find ANYTHING you liked about it? Did you not like the original?

MyersDisciple
08-31-2007, 04:16 PM
From TheTodd:

Nope. Not agree. But at least respect each other for your differing opinions. Can you do that?

Todd
08-31-2007, 04:18 PM
From TheTodd:

Nope. Not agree. But at least respect each other for your differing opinions. Can you do that?

Absolutely.
How have I disrespected anyone?
Have you seen any name calling or vitriol coming from me?
It always helps to get your facts straight before accusing someone of something.

Outsider
08-31-2007, 04:20 PM
I respect your opinion and all that, but this movie is very much like the original (besides the parts with Michael as a kid), so how did you not find ANYTHING you liked about it? Did you not like the original?

I loved the original, and I couldn't find anything to like on this one.

The characters really got on my nerves. They just didn't work. The girl who played Laurie was, IMO, awful. It's tough going from Jamie Lee Curtis to...her.

Too much cussing in this one, too much gore, it defied what the original was all about. The original was about high tension, timely scares, and masterful progression of time. This one was missing all 3.

It was a very dull, predictable, tasteless movie.

carruthers
08-31-2007, 04:25 PM
The only things I liked? Very few -

- Sheri Moon is a terrible, overly broad actress but this film seemed to indicate that if she was ever was in a movie not directed or written by her husband she might be better off. In the scenes at the hospital where she was toned down and clothed half-decently she came off somewhat affecting and tragic, despite the incredibly over the top material.

- The kids playing Tommy and Lindsey were okay though they had no good material. The kid playing young Michael is in a horrible role in a horrible script but could probably be a better actor with time. Same with the girl playing Laurie, whose characterization, like that of all the girls, was a disaster.

- Danielle Harris looked lovely but had nothing to do but be exploited even worse than if she had been the Jamie who died on the farm thresher. The only reason for Annie to live seemed to be that she was Danielle Harris and/or topless and bloody to amuse Rob Zombie.

Patrick1679

I agree!

It's Michael Myers kicking ass again!

If all the other characters were "fully" developed and Michael was just the same old Michael then everyone would be saying "Rob's not original. I just watched JC's Halloween again. I feel ripped off. I could have stayed at home and put the dvd in. Rob sucks."

I enjoyed the movie. There were countless great scenes in it that were creepy. I can't wait to see it again. I wanted more Michael and that's what I got!:bow:

Rob you did good. But I wouldn't mind sitting through a 2 1/2 hour Halloween film!:nodsmile:

MacG
I loved the original, and I couldn't find anything to like on this one.

The characters really got on my nerves. They just didn't work. The girl who played Laurie was, IMO, awful. It's tough going from Jamie Lee Curtis to...her.

Too much cussing in this one, too much gore, it defied what the original was all about. The original was about high tension, timely scares, and masterful progression of time. This one was missing all 3.

It was a very dull, predictable, tasteless movie.

Alright, I respect that. A couple posts ago you were just saying it was complete and utter crap. At least here you are saying WHY you thought that. But we must have opposite tastes, because I feel completely different about everything you mentioned lol. EXCEPT the cussing. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it definitely could've done without it. To each his own.

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
im sorry but scout was not awful i felt that she did really well as Laurie... its a new spin on an old charcter but whatever you think

Killroy
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Great horror movie...Good(as in, not bad) Halloween movie...I became a halloween fan because of the suspense..I wish there would've been more suspense leading to the kills. I just wasn't that scared.
It was the best halloween that I've seen since '88 (H4) though.
Tyler Mane was great as Michael, "the best since George P. Wilbur".

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Can someone explain to me what people are talking about a version DIFFERENT than the theatrical version? Is there another version? Thanks for humoring an old man!

Todd
im sorry but scout was not awful i felt that she did really well as Laurie... its a new spin on an old charcter but whatever you think
Maybe this time she should have been a nun.

Outsider
Alright, I respect that. A couple posts ago you were just saying it was complete and utter crap.

I was just really upset. I still am.

I've loved this series since I was 6, and I was jumping for joy when I heard Zombie was producing this. I thought he was going to restore the series, and add a new dimension.

But, IMO, this movie took a considerable step backwards. I tried hard to like the film after it was done, but it just wasn't for me, I guess.

Patrick1679
08-31-2007, 04:29 PM

Your right. It did remind me of H5. That was the only scene I could have done without. I'm not sure what he wanted Laurie for? But who cares?

I was entertained and I saw the SHAPE back and better than he's been in over 25 years!:bow:

BTW How cool would H4 have been if we had this Michael Myers in it?!:bow:

Patrick1679
08-31-2007, 04:30 PM

True. I get that feeling also!:bastard:

nwiser
08-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Can someone explain to me what people are talking about a version DIFFERENT than the theatrical version? Is there another version? Thanks for humoring an old man!

Beetle...see this thread: http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=12177

carruthers
08-31-2007, 04:32 PM
If all the other characters were "fully" developed and Michael was just the same old Michael then everyone would be saying "Rob's not original. I just watched JC's Halloween again. I feel ripped off. I could have stayed at home and put the dvd in. Rob sucks."

That...makes no sense, sir.

A movie can have solid characterization for its protagonists and do something new without being "the same old movie". It's called good writing. Most movies strive for it.

I'll say it again for those who won't: It was complete and utter crap.

Patrick1679
08-31-2007, 04:33 PM

Well said!:bow:

Ravenheart
08-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Did anyone stay for the credits?I wanted to stay and watch them to see if there was any surprise scenes during them but had to go or I'd miss my ride.

rpchurch
Ok, I saw nothing of a 70s flick in here. Most 70s flicks (and I did say most) left a lot to the imagination. And, not just gore wise, either. Most of the back stories are just now being told (unnecessarily, if you ask me) now. That's because most of the guys kicking around now can't come up with their own ideas. They'd rather resurrect something old, or patch together pieces of something old and pass it off as new. Now, off my soapbox.

I liked most of the remake, and that is something I can't say about any of the Texas Chainsaw, Hills Have Eyes, etc. rehashes. Sure, there were bits that were slow but, so what? There were parts of the original Halloween that were slow, too. Not comparing the two, because there is no comparison. I'd heard this one was brutal, but it was a lot rougher than I'd guessed it would be. I didn't really dig the whole Michael as victim. But, I didn't like it when they did it with Hannibal Lecter, Jason Vorhees, et. al. But, I did see where Rob Zombie was going.

Look, the guy obviously loves his source material, and is an unrepentant metalhead. So, you're getting the sum of the parts here. I don't like the uber Michael. He was way too "awesome!" I thought it was a lot scarier when a average to slightly above average sized was pulling off all these murders. I'm also going to get bashed for this one. But, I thought the T/A was a bit extraneous. Finally, I thought Loomis came off as a schmuck. I'd have liked to have seen a little more ruthlessness out of him. Finally, did anyone notice the continuity seemed a bit off? It seemed like we jumped from the 70s to th 2000s in like 15 years. But, I can definitely forgive this.

What I liked: I thought Scout Taylor-Compton was great as the heroine. I though the kills were just sick! Very rough, and how I'd assume an actual murder would play out. The soundtrack was excellent. Zombie got some really good acting out of his cast. Ken fucking Foree is awesome! (But, can people stop introducing them selves as "I'm XXXX, bitch!" Please?) I could have used a bit more Sid Haig. But, it was nice to see Danny Trejo play a nice guy.

Lindsey Wallace and Tommy Doyle were much better actors than the original kids. And, I loved the way Zombie shot it. Very grungy and dirty looking. He was definitely watching Fight Club before shooting. Some of the shots (I'm talking to you 2X4 through the ceiling) were a bit too long. I'd have shortened the whole film by about 15-20 minutes. But, I'm feeling no buyer's remorse. $6.50 well spent. Ok, now kick the shit outta' me, you guys. :)

shoe1985
I am a true Halloween fan, I gave the movie a chance. The first act was pretty good, but once Michael escaped, the movie fell apart. Rob tried to do too much in too little of time. He should have just went in a different direction. Who cares if it isn't a complete remake, it is his vision.

MacG
08-31-2007, 04:36 PM
I was just really upset. I still am.

I've loved this series since I was 6, and I was jumping for joy when I heard Zombie was producing this. I thought he was going to restore the series, and add a new dimension.

But, IMO, this movie took a considerable step backwards. I tried hard to like the film after it was done, but it just wasn't for me, I guess.

here we go with our opposite opinions again lol. because I thought thats exactly what RZ did, was add a new dimension to the Halloween series. But I have to say, the best part about the movie was the atmosphere. I loved the neighborhood (because it was shot in Pasadena, same place as the original), and I loved the houses he stalked them in. I thought it was a perfect setting for this movie.

rpchurch
08-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Did anyone stay for the credits?I wanted to stay and watch them to see if there was any surprise scenes during them but had to go or I'd miss my ride.

I didn't stay past the rolling credits, but all you would've missed - from what I saw - were some outtakes from the home movies.

Is it me, or did it looked like they copied the Amityville Horror remake on those home movies?

MyersDawg
08-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Here goes my spill...I purpously avoided the board for the past few days, just cause I knew it would be a crazy place to be. (And I was right...) So, just got back from the movie and it was actually pretty good, IMO. I think at least 75% of it "worked". There were a few weak moments, mostly in Loomis' stuff. I just kinda was let down by his preformace a little, but it was ok. Scout did a very good job playing Laurie, but Annie and Lynda were kindof disposible...idk. But the beggining added a lot of good stuff, Daeg did a great job as young Michael. Sheri did a good job as the Debra. I think it was a solid contribution to the series...oh, and another thing I dont think worked so well was the pace...way way way too fast. But other than that I think it was pretty dern good. I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Cool man.

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 04:41 PM
it was too fast paced i also was disapointed with loomis' performance it was hardly even there

Todd
08-31-2007, 04:41 PM
I am a true Halloween fan, I gave the movie a chance. The first act was pretty good, but once Michael escaped, the movie fell apart. Rob tried to do too much in too little of time. He should have just went in a different direction. Who cares if it isn't a complete remake, it is his vision.
I'll admit that the remake part probably wasn't the strongest segment of the movie, but you think it was a total disaster?
I'm not disparaging your opinion, but I honestly didn't think it was that bad at all.
I didn't like a lot of McDowells performance, though.
He seemed to be just phoning it in at times.
Plus, this new version of Doctor L wasn't as intense.
That was probably intentional, but he actually liked Michael.
The original Doctor Loomis never would have played that.
He knew what Michael was and wasn't about to be fooled by an innocent looking face.

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Beetle...see this thread: http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=12177

Thanks Nwiser! I appreciate it!

nwiser
08-31-2007, 04:43 PM

haha...you know.... if some people are upset by this film now...just think how angry they'd be if RZ put outtakes and a blooper reel at the end during the credits. :D

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 04:45 PM

Ravenheart, I did stay for the credits and yes there were some clips but I don't think it was anything different.

Laurie2007
08-31-2007, 04:46 PM
the clips were just the home movies of the myers family...although it does show mikey beating the crap out of a garden deer or something along those lines

shoe1985
08-31-2007, 04:48 PM
I'll admit that the remake part probably wasn't the strongest segment of the movie, but you think it was a total disaster?
I'm not disparaging your opinion, but I honestly didn't think it was that bad at all.
I didn't like a lot of McDowells performance, though.
He seemed to be just phoning it in at times.
Plus, this new version of Doctor L wasn't as intense.
That was probably intentional, but he actually liked Michael.
The original Doctor Loomis never would have played that.
He knew what Michael was and wasn't about to be fooled by an innocent looking face.

Being honest Todd, the beginning was really good. The ending, at least for me, was over too quick. The beginning had a nice build up, and once the remake part comes into play, it was over before anything happened, yet a lot happened.

I didn't like this Loomis at all. I could never get where he was coming from. I never got the feeling he was trying to help Michael, but more as just being there.

I am trying not to think of the original when I discuss this movie. Even when I was in the theater, my thoughts were trying to stay as neutral as possible.

If I was to rate both acts:
act 1 - 4/5
act 2 - 1/5
Overall - 2/5

Yes, it should come out to a 3/5, but I don't believe that is what the movie is, for me at least.

nwiser
08-31-2007, 04:49 PM
I didn't stay past the rolling credits, but all you would've missed - from what I saw - were some outtakes from the home movies.

wait...there ARE outtakes at the end of the movie? I was only kidding when I said it...yikes.

I thought they only did that type of thing at the end of movies like The Naked Gun and A Bugs Life.

matthew28
08-31-2007, 04:50 PM

???huh???

It's a message board,of course there is disagreement,point to a message board where there isn't.

Does your voice sound like stewy from "Family Guy",cause that what it sounds like in my head when I read your post.

Beetlescott
I came home from the theater and popped in the original movie, and noticed something. Zombie took the Tommy Doyle character from the beginning of the orginal and replaced him with young Michael. Wiith the bullies. When the boys tripped Tommy and he smashed his pumpkin. Then later in the new film when Michael was carrying Laurie, strangely reminiceint of Annie in the org? Anyone else notice this?

MyersDawg
Yeah, the ending credits were a little creepy...

Audioslave
08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
I would have to agree that the first half was much better than the second. If the first half weren't as decent as it is, this would be hands down the worst film in the franchise.

Todd
08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Being honest Todd, the beginning was really good. The ending, at least for me, was over too quick. The beginning had a nice build up, and once the remake part comes into play, it was over before anything happened, yet a lot happened.

I didn't like this Loomis at all. I could never get where he was coming from. I never got the feeling he was trying to help Michael, but more as just being there.

I am trying not to think of the original when I discuss this movie. Even when I was in the theater, my thoughts were trying to stay as neutral as possible.

If I was to rate both acts:
act 1 - 4/5
act 2 - 1/5
Overall - 2/5

Yes, it should come out to a 3/5, but I don't believe that is what the movie is, for me at least.
I probably would have thought the ending was rushed if I hadn't been fully prepared for it to be shorter than in the original. I went in with the mindset that this was not a clone of Carpenters version, but rather a compliment to it. I also knew there would be a few things I didn't care for. The language (at times), and the semi explanation of Michael, which wasn't as problematic as it could have been. This Michael was obviously twisted from the start. I had a hard time really feeling sorry for him since he clearly wasn't some meek little mouse. He took no shit from anyone.

MacG
08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
I actually preferred the 2nd half. It was a different take on the original. The first half was very slow and kind of pointless. I really don't want to know why Michael became what he is, the point is that he is a disturbed psychopath. I really enjoyed the movie, but I thought that the first half was too slow, and the second half was too fast. If RZ could've evened these parts then it would've been a lot better.

rpchurch
08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
wait...there ARE outtakes at the end of the movie? I was only kidding when I said it...yikes.

I thought they only did that type of thing at the end of movies like The Naked Gun and A Bugs Life.

No, no. Sorry, buddy. Didn't mean to scare ya. You know the home movies Michael's mom is watching after the incident at the asylum? It is just more of those movies. Not really outtakes. Just Michael beating this shit out of a yard ornament. You didn't really miss anything of substance.

shoe1985
08-31-2007, 05:00 PM
I probably would have thought the ending was rushed if I hadn't been fully prepared for it to be shorter than in the original. I went in with the mindset that this was not a clone of Carpenters version, but rather a compliment to it. I also knew there would be a few things I didn't care for. The language (at times), and the semi explanation of Michael, which wasn't as problematic as it could have been. This Michael was obviously twisted from the start. I had a hard time really feeling sorry for him since he clearly wasn't some meek little mouse. He took no shit from anyone.

The language didn't bother me at all. I really don't get why people are upset over that. The dialogue used was terrible though.

I felt sorry for this Michael because if he had a loving home and gotten therapy at a young age, he could have been fine. Instead, everyone around him had their own lives, picked on him, and it didn't help him at all.

I think his mom was the reason he had any good left in him. You could say Laurie was, but I never got that. When his mom killed herself, that is when he changed the most. He lost everything left in this world of reality. He had hoped Laurie would save him, but since she had no idea who he was, what could she do?

Ravenheart
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
I loved hippie Loomis :roflmao:

Monte
08-31-2007, 05:09 PM
What the fuck?! No shit mask at all!!! Worst movie ever made!!!!! Negative a bajillion stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd
08-31-2007, 05:10 PM
The language didn't bother me at all. I really don't get why people are upset over that. The dialogue used was terrible though.

I felt sorry for this Michael because if he had a loving home and gotten therapy at a young age, he could have been fine. Instead, everyone around him had their own lives, picked on him, and it didn't help him at all.

I think his mom was the reason he had any good left in him. You could say Laurie was, but I never got that. When his mom killed herself, that is when he changed the most. He lost everything left in this world of reality. He had hoped Laurie would save him, but since she had no idea who he was, what could she do?
I don't know if anything could have stopped this kid from becoming a killer.
I think his home life just accelerated the process.
That's an agrument with no end, though.
As far as his confrontation with Laurie, it's not like his vocal cords were cut, so why didn't he try to tell her who he was? Then again, maybe not speaking for 15 years caused his vocal cords to freeze up or atrophy? I'm not a doctor so I don't know for sure if there was anything preventing Michael from talking to Laurie. It's not that I wanted Michael to speak, but logic kind of says that if he could have, he should have at that point. I think he clearly thought Laurie was the one person who could understand him, and when he realized that she didn't, he decided to eliminate her, too.

DarthMyers
08-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Seen it today at the theater. Short review...

Opening Michael's homelife - C
Micheal is Smith's Grove - A++
Micheal grown up and in full costume A+
Laurie and her friends - F
Ending - F

First part of the film was excellent. I really liked seeing the relationship between young Michael and Loomis. The teenagers were too rushed and similar. I found no distinction between Laurie and her friends, not to mention how quickly one is dispatched. I just feel the 2nd half was rushed and character's were grossly underdeveloped. Overall, the film was OK, but to me after seeing the finished film, I feel that this film wasn't needed.
The ending, and I've seen both, sucked hard.

Overall I would give it a C. It would've been higher if the second half didn't seem so rushed. I think Rob tried to put too much into one film. The funny thing is is that I was originally concerned about the rumors/facts I had heard about the young Michael scenes which I was afraid I would hate, and ended up liking those scenes the best!

Padams
08-31-2007, 05:14 PM
What the fuck?! No shit mask at all!!! Worst movie ever made!!!!! Negative a bajillion stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I saw Michael show-case his black mask to Dr. Loomis .. I was waiting for Michael to explain that this is his poo-poo mask. Of course, if he has black stools .. he needs to see a Gastroenterologist .. and I was punished with Dr. Loomis explaining that black is the absence of color, while white is all. So disappointed.

DarknessBDJM
08-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Despite being pessimistic but open minded from the get go when the prequel and Zombie news came about I gave the movie chances to like it and it kept on proving my suspicions at every turn. The final product just solidified it. The movie might have been an at best average flick (something you like as much as you dislike at around a 50% rating/ 5/10 and par for the course for a Zombie film (some good scenes in an overall sub-par film) if it was not a Halloween film, but as part of the Halloween franchise it's just poor, very poor. I can say that I disliked the movie more than Ressurection. Rob tried to do something different- as should have been done- but there is good different and bad different, and this is the latter. The style just does not work for the franchise at all, it's be like making a Sleepless in Seattle sequel like Porky's (yes I realize some of you might like that idea, but it's a style comparison).
The ending twist with Loomis was a good change, Mane had some scenes of good Myers movement in the second half, plentiful leaves were nice, and there were some good shots. Thankfully the rape scene was offed in favor of a more fitting escape scene, and the look of the film in the "second half" (production design, though there were a few good uses of camera work and lighting) was Halloweenesque. Also surprisingly Mane didn't look too large; I guess it's just another case of the WCW and WWE overblowing statistics.
I thought the excessive cameos actually hurt the film and took you out of it just to say "Hey look it's sos and so!". I thought Malcolm was overly stiff and kind of phoning it in. I disliked the plot and dialogue a lot. Excessive sexual situations and violence, sloppy camera work and editing in action scenes ad too much in the way of showy camera work, humanizing Michael was just wrong though a better director and scropter could have made it work, too much rock music, too much Scream style orchestration, the acting was no better than other entries in the series and was poor at many points (better acting appeared more often when Michael was a kid though), unbelievable situations, too much of a 70's "grindhouse" homage like his other films, the "brutality" of MM made Michael look like the WWE's Kane rather than the creepier brutality of H6, looked and felt too gritty (and I'm not talking about film quality as I love the dulled down sharpness of the THX master of the original). The chase scene with Laurie felt way too unrealistic too, it was like the opposite of the H2 chase where this time Laurie was slow as hell and Michael was the quicker one (and even then he wasn't moving fast by any definition of the word). There was also alsmost no semblance of the atmosphere and creepiness that made the original great and even the worst sequels had it. Basically it was the most un-Halloween Halloween movie I can think of without getting into ridiculous areas.

If you love Zombie's other films and can ignore and forget it's a Halloween movie though you may possibly enjoy it, but I can't recommend it in any way except as a completist.

I still hope it does well enough to relight the fire of the series' popularity, I just wish a better product could have come of it. Like I said before, if they were going to go with the idea of spending more time in the mental institution and humanizing Michael a bit more then Brad Anderson would have been the perfect pick. I don't like the fact that Zombie took the job, but I have no real ill will towards the guy. I know it's mean to "bash" his filmmaking abilities here, but I think he's a good guy, he just was a poor choice to direct to get a quality film, but a good one to get publicity and ticket sales. I hope his rep doesn't take a huge hit off of the backlash, but I hope it's also a learning experience for him.

DarknessBDJM
08-31-2007, 05:45 PM

Is it me, or did it looked like they copied the Amityville Horror remake on those home movies?

Remember the deleted home movies from Ressurection?

unveilings
08-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Where there's smoke there's fire - and damn I can smell the smoke from here. Where to begin? Almost everything I expected Rob Zombie's version of Halloween to be from the first day I heard that he was doing this has come to pass (if you don't believe me check my previous posts). Cramming the remake with his homies? Check, enough obscenities to fill the swear jar in seconds? Check, a complete inability to understand the subtlety of the original? Check. This one had as much as subtlety as a 20 ton anvil crashing onto my cranium. Isn't Micheal Myers supposed to lurk in the shadows rather than casting a shadow as large as the Empire State Building? Isn't Halloween about suspense? I've felt more suspense walking down my street at night than I felt watching this. What a waste of time and money. This one is tied with Resurrection as being the worst in the series in my book. I would take take 2,4,5,6 and even 3 over this one.

Padams
08-31-2007, 05:49 PM
So, I left a comment on Rob Zombie's Myspace page about the lack of suspense and the fact that he needs to hire a professional script writer/supervisor. I was called a twat and dip shit. I love the fact that I am that transparent.

Khan
08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
They are all mindless fanboys.

rpchurch
08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
the "brutality" of MM made Michael look like the WWE's Kane rather than the creepier brutality of H6

Man, I didn't even think of that the first go round but, damned if you aren't correct. He looked exactly like Kane when he is in the asylum.

Good eyes, sir.:bow:

Todd
08-31-2007, 05:51 PM
I liked it so much that I'm going to see it again tomorrow.
Some of the complaints I've read are somewhat justified, but also completely overblown.
There were things I didn't like, but they were easily overshadowed by the things I thought were good.
I'll miss the "old" series and Donald Pleasence stalking Myers as he stalked his prey, but I can watch those movies any time I want.
This new movie wasn't perfect, but it had more pluses than minuses, in my humble opinion.

Padams
08-31-2007, 05:53 PM
I hated it so much that I am seeing it again at 10.15 CST. I formed one opinion .. now I need to see if it is justified. And no, I didn't really hate it .. I tolerated it.

rpchurch
08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Ok, hating it and loving it aside. Isn't it a blast to go see a horror flick at the actual theater again? I'm not a Saw/Hostel/whatever-era horror flick fan, so I think it has probably been since the Dawn of the Dead remake and (I think) Jason V. Freddy before that, since I've seen a horror movie at a theater.

I think it is to his credit that Zombie has gotten all of us back into a movie theater to see anything. So, I thank him for that.

UnpleasantDream
08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
I just saw the flick and loved it! I really thought it was great. There were a few minor things I think it would have been better without, but overall I was grinning the whole time! It's definitley not better than the original, but this the best thing we've gotten since!
I was especially pleased with Sherri Moon, Daeg Faerch, and really liked Scout as well. Overall, I'll be seeing this one multiple times over the next few weeks and really hope it does well. The audience I saw it with actually all applauded afterwards which I haven't seen happen in years! I'm just wondering now, although this would probably be better in a new thread is whether or not it's possible to continue the story now...the last frame is burned in my memory though, that's for sure!!

Padams
08-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Ok, hating it and loving it aside. Isn't it a blast to go see a horror flick at the actual theater again? I'm not a Saw/Hostel/whatever-era horror flick fan, so I think it has probably been since the Dawn of the Dead remake and (I think) Jason V. Freddy before that, since I've seen a horror movie at a theater.

I think it is to his credit that Zombie has gotten all of us back into a movie theater to see anything. So, I thank him for that.

I loved being able to walk up to the ticket booth and being able to say, "Halloween." I've never been able to say that in my 21 years of life .. and it felt grand.

DarthMyers
08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to add that I loved the mask in this film.

rpchurch
08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
One last thing, and I'm out. Did it bother anyone else to hear our sweet little Danielle Harris asking some random dude if he wanted to fuck her? I know it is just acting, but I can't quite wrap my mind around her not being innocent, knife wielding Jamie. :godno:

Padams
08-31-2007, 06:09 PM
One last thing, and I'm out. Did it bother anyone else to hear our sweet little Danielle Harris asking some random dude if he wanted to fuck her? I know it is just acting, but I can't quite rap my mind around her not being innocent, knife wielding Jamie. :godno:

It didn't bother me as much as seeing her chest.

SLAB
08-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Did it bother anyone else to hear our sweet little Danielle Harris asking some random dude if he wanted to fuck her? I know it is just acting, but I can't quite rap my mind around her not being innocent, knife wielding Jamie. :godno:

Hey, I like dirty talk as much as the next guy, but on screen it just makes me laugh.

So I did. :p

Todd
08-31-2007, 06:10 PM
One last thing, and I'm out. Did it bother anyone else to hear our sweet little Danielle Harris asking some random dude if he wanted to fuck her? I know it is just acting, but I can't quite rap my mind around her not being innocent, knife wielding Jamie. :godno:
Nah, it didn't bother me.
"Sweet little Danielle" is actually nearly 30, so it was easy to separate her from the character she played nearly twenty years ago.

lauriestrodefan
08-31-2007, 06:11 PM
I hated it so much that I am seeing it again at 10.15 CST. I formed one opinion .. now I need to see if it is justified. And no, I didn't really hate it .. I tolerated it.

should i go see it at night? i seen it the day time i may go see it again just to see maybe it seem scarier at night time than day time. i however am grateful that he tried to make remake of halloween. I just felt he should have kept this movie as much to the original. I dont mind his friends being in the movie cause i like danny trejo. I probably will go see it again just to see if i can form different opinion.

Superman
Oh yeah I forgot to add that I loved the mask in this film. Me too Chris. I liked the weathered/worn look. I hope there is one for sale at some point.

Loomisgreat
I just watched this movie and it was good. It's not as good as the original, but it's different. I can say that this movie is not a remake, mostly a "reinvention" or "prequel" type of film. The biggest problem with this movie is that there is too much "F-Word" usage. The surprise about that is that Brad Douriff is one of the few that doesn't use it. And Michael Myers does one thing that even Jason Voorhees has never done--usage of the F-Word.

One expection I had about this film was that the Danielle Harris character would be bumped off, as it was the case in the original. So once again Danielle's character doesn't die at the hands of Michael Myers.

As for Dr. Loomis, it's perfectly clear that Malcolm McDowell did a decent job. However, compared to Donald Pleasance, it's no match. To me, whenever I think of Loomis, I think of Donald.

This film is not as good as parts 1, 4, 5, 7, or even 2. But it is better than parts 3, 6, and 8. Thank goodness Busta Rhymes was not in this movie.

Todd

Yes, it was nice.
I'm not into the Saw and Hostel type torture movies that are so prevelant today, so this was definitely refreshing.

Padams
08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Did anyone like what Scout did with the bagels?

Beetlescott
08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
I have one more point to make. A few people here have complained about RZ using the same actors in his movies. He is not the first to do this, John Carpenter used the same set in several of his movies, ie Fog, H3, Escape from New York.......I think that directors develop relationships with certian actors and use them a lot. IMHO

Padams
08-31-2007, 06:17 PM
I have never seen any of RZ's previous works, so I did not know any of the actors beforehand. I mean, I knew them .. but not that RZ has ever worked with them. This did not detract from the film for me, thankfully.

Todd
08-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Did anyone like what Scout did with the bagels?
Like it?
It wasn't something I either liked or disliked.
She was just being a goofy teenager.
I liked the homage to E.T in that scene, though.

Todd
08-31-2007, 06:20 PM
I have one more point to make. A few people here have complained about RZ using the same actors in his movies. He is not the first to do this, John Carpenter used the same set in several of his movies, ie Fog, H3, Escape from New York.......I think that directors develop relationships with certian actors and use them a lot. IMHO
And John Carpenter used the same actors in big roles, not just cameos like RZ did here.

Thanatos
08-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Now that I've seen the movie twice...I think it's a mess. I kinda forced myself to like it but now I have to admit that Fuck You out of Ten is too generous. Can't believe I wrote it was a good film.

It's a horrible film and remake. I'm gonna get drunk with a buddy to try to wash that movie down. Maybe rewatch the original Halloween too.

Tyler Mane and all the girls did a wonderful job. So did Daeg Faerch.

Padams
08-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Like it?
It wasn't something I either liked or disliked.
She was just being a goofy teenager.
I liked the homage to E.T in that scene, though.

Is it pathetic that I have already forgotten parts of a movie I saw about 11 hours ago? Wow. What was the homage? I always hated E.T., so I probably "missed" it. I hope to catch it at the showing tonight .. I know a lot of people who didn't love it the first time went to a second showing and saw the light. Let us hope that rings true.