PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Living Dead? + or -

Mr.Garrett81
10-09-2004, 09:19 AM
I wanted to get yalls opinion on the Return of the Living Dead flick that came out in the 80s(I think).

I personally thought it was the dumbest sh** Ive ever seen!! I thought it was just completly ridiculous that the zombies were talking over the police ban to send more paramedics and cops. I also thought it was lame as hell when the gal in the basement trapped herself in the locker and the zombie gerry rigged that crank to open up the doors and get to her. And the ending?!?! WTF?!?! Im sitting there thinking to myself okay ive watched this piece of trash from the beginning maybe it will have a descent climax and ending. Oh no! They nuke the whole fu***** city??? What the hell!! I wanted that hour and a half life back! What do you guys think?

Col Whizzle
10-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Return of the Living Dead isn't a great zombie film by any stretch, but it is quite fun. I consider it more of a comedy spin-off of Night of the Living Dead.

Oh, and by the way, Tar-man rules!

Maxvayne
10-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Return of the Living Dead is a great zombie film by any stretch. It tried something new with Zombies, making them run. The actors in the movie are superb, Clu Gulager, James Karen, Don Calfa, Thom Mathews, and Linnea Quigley showing some nice flesh.

Should I go on with the soundtrack? It has some of the best Punk artist of the day back then. Punk is dead, but you can't go wrong with this soundtrack.

The DVD is well worth the 10 bucks and it would be well worth 20 bucks. A glow in the dark cover. The original cover might I add. MGM has shown this movie respect. The commentary, storyboards, and documentary are all great.

A Horror Comedy classic it is.

Hallowicked
10-10-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Maxvayne
Return of the Living Dead is a great zombie film by any stretch. It tried something new with Zombies, making them run. The actors in the movie are superb, Clu Gulager, James Karen, Don Calfa, Thom Mathews, and Linnea Quigley showing some nice flesh.

Should I go on with the soundtrack? It has some of the best Punk artist of the day back then. Punk is dead, but you can't go wrong with this soundtrack.

The DVD is well worth the 10 bucks and it would be well worth 20 bucks. A glow in the dark cover. The original cover might I add. MGM has shown this movie respect. The commentary, storyboards, and documentary are all great.

You said it all right there, thanks.

To who posted this thread, don't take this film too seriously, it's suppose to be a fun zombie film. They didn't try and make it all serious. If they did then yea, the film would be terrible.

I for one love the entire film. What makes it even better is that my favorite b-movie actress is in it, the Queen of Scream, Linnea Quigley.

Mr.Garrett81
10-10-2004, 09:02 AM
I had no idea that it was ment to be a spoof. Thanks for the info!

Chomp_on_this
10-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Its not the best zombie flick out there, but it is rather enjoyable. It's a fun mediocre, popcorn flick that had to be followed up with subpar sequals.

zombie commando
10-11-2004, 06:18 AM
I can think of worse ways to spend 2 hours. I thought ROTLD was a fun little zombie romp. Not the best piece of zombie cinema......not even close to GAR's work.....but fun.

HuskerTornado
10-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Dan O Bannon did a great job on this film. RotLD is a very fun zombie film that you can watch over and over again.

Mr.Garrett81
10-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Yeah but I still just cant get passed the ending. I think they could've done a better job.

Creepingmouth
10-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Garrett81
I think they could've done a better job.

That's for sure

Mr.G
10-18-2004, 06:08 PM
I just got and watched ROTLD2 and wasn't as impressed as I was as a kid. It was ok, but no where near as good as the original. Did Bert end up dying? Did I miss that part?

FrankieKaufman
10-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Maxvayne

Right on! I love this movie. Clu and James are golden in this film. If I see this movie on the TV schedule, I have to watch it even though I own it.

Classic.

Oliver
10-26-2004, 04:02 AM
I have been unfortunate enough to see some of the 2nd film, it was horrible. I'm strictly a fan of zombies that don't have the intelligence or feelings to talk and do all this crap. The film was so goofy it reminded me of Gremlins.

Jinxed
10-26-2004, 06:34 AM
Right on ghouls, I feel for Mr. Romero how John Russo fucked him in the ass, but the dialogue is what drew me to love this flick.
HAIL HAIL TO MY MAN ERNIE!
But yeah the 2nd wasn't the best, ever since my man chomp said it reminds him of the thriller video thats all I see. and the 3rd installment is a god damn joke.

Someone get some light over here, Trash is takin' off her clothes again. hahahaha

zombie commando
10-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Holy flaming shitballs! Welcome back Jinxed.

Halloween78
10-26-2004, 10:47 AM
RotLD is definently in my top five zombie flicks of all time.

jbyrd123
10-05-2008, 03:25 PM

A Horror Comedy classic it is.Couldn't agree more it is one of my favorite zombie flicks and DVD's.

Khan
10-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I really like ROTLD.

It is a very good mix of comedy and horror, creating a horror icon in Tarman.

BRAINSSSSSS!!!

Torgo
10-05-2008, 05:53 PM
This movie is hilarious.

"Send more paramedics."

Twisted Sister
10-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Who dareth say that ROTLD is trash? The only "trash" about it was the name of a character. Geez.....:bang:

jbyrd123
10-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Good ole Trash, I had a major crush on her for years after the Graveyard scene.

sharkboy
10-11-2008, 04:53 AM
These movies are awesome...I just watched 2 again the other night.
"You'll watch your mouth if you like this job!"
"Like this job?!?!!"

Twisted Sister
10-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Alot of the lines are classic between those two :)

sharkboy
10-11-2008, 05:57 AM
They did make a great pair didn't they? I guess that's why they brought them back. I remember being disappointed that they didn't return for three!! haha

Twisted Sister
10-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Absolutely! There are people that will argue Thom Matthews acting abilities, but eh, they're horror movies, who cares :) (and I liked him as Tommy in Jason Lives -gasp!). I love when he said "The movie lied????" Heheh.

sharkboy
10-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Yeah, people don't realize what it takes to be funny. It's not just in the writing, but most importantly, the delivery. Those two worked off each other perfectly! And yes, he was the best Tommy :)

Torgo
10-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Good ole Trash, I had a major crush on her for years after the Graveyard scene.

I remember I watched this at a birthday party when I was a young teen. I think everyone went through puberty when she ripped off her clothes.

Twisted Sister
10-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Haha! And us gals were hoping we'd look like that when we grew up :)

jbyrd123
10-13-2008, 12:16 AM
I bought the DVD a couple of weeks ago the cast commentary is really cool, they seemed to all have fond memories of working together.

Twisted Sister
10-13-2008, 04:40 AM
I saw that out, and shouldn't have passed it up. Does it have extra/deleted scenes or anything besides the commentaries that make it worth the buy, do you think? I have the plain old boring one :)

zombie commando
10-27-2008, 08:25 AM
They've come back from the dead and they're ready to party!

FTL
10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
I saw that out, and shouldn't have passed it up. Does it have extra/deleted scenes or anything besides the commentaries that make it worth the buy, do you think? I have the plain old boring one :)

I thought there was only 1 commentary track with Dan O'Bannon.

jbyrd123
10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
The copy I have has commentary by the cast and crew as well, and a documentary too.

Twisted Sister
10-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I don't know, I haven't even checked out the SF's....I was trying to find out if the new one had anything special.

MaDMaNMaRz
11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
ROTLD rules. I watched the first 2 yesterday. The original is one of my favorite zombie flicks ever. I thought they combined comedy and horror quite well. I still need to pick up the new SE DVD, which has 2 new featurettes.

jbyrd123
11-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I wish I could find pt.2 DVD I really like it to.

Twisted Sister
11-01-2008, 08:12 PM
JByrd, I actually found a copy at FYE, if you have one near you. If not, you can get it from Amazon or something. I actually found my copy for $4.00.

The Frightmaster
06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I thought this movie was okay. Not the best zombie movie ever, but I didn't hate it. I was just expecting better. I also didn't think it was gonna be a horror comedy. I didn't mind the comedic elements, I just thought it was gonna be a straight horror film. The first 30 zombieless minutes of the film seemed to drag a little. When I watch a zombie movie, I wanna see zombies from the start. But once the zombies crawled out of their graves and the action began, the movie became more interesting. I liked how they made the zombies talk, it was something different. I think that added to the comedic side of the movie. The thing that really bothered me was the ending. I just thought how they blew up the city was handled wrong. I didn't like how any of it was shot. Some bad camera work in my opinion. I also didn't like how reused footaged was used to end the movie. But on a positive note the special features were great! I liked the documentaries they had and the commentary with the cast and crew was VERY good. Fun and informative at the same time.

BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!

Khan
06-05-2009, 10:01 AM
More brainssssss! :D

I must admit, I still have the old DVD and haven't upgraded to the newer version.

Black Sunshine
06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Send more Paramedics!

TheThirdHalf
06-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Like this job?!?

tripprivers
06-05-2009, 02:24 PM
HAHAHAHA one of my favorites! Was the first movie to introduce me to to wonderfully boobielicious Linnea Quigley...after watching this film it was my goal to do a strip tease in the middle of a graveyard...which turns out was scarier to my friends than the prospect of zombies.
Anywho, I have mad love for this wonderful film and still actually get creeped out by the ending...I think its Thom Mathews' echoing 'Tina' line over the frozen picture...

Suicide: How come you guys only come around when you need a ride someplace?
Spider: 'Cause you're one spooky motherfucker, man.

TouchMe4Money
06-05-2009, 05:03 PM
More brainssssss! :D

I must admit, I still have the old DVD and haven't upgraded to the newer version.
Same here. I want the new disc. I'm kind of disappointed MGM couldn't Stereo-track the last one. Not to mention they used the Hemdale Video audio edit (I didn't know the VHS edited the audio, but apparently they did?) which turns down the music while the punks are talking. And 2 of the best damn songs, too! The Tall Boys' "Take a Walk" and Roky Erickson's "Burn the Flames." All the more reason to get the new one, if they fixed that.

But of course, there was that whole debaunched nightmare about the deleted scenes and the audio commentary... Would have been the perfect opportunity to make this a 2-disc. But frickin' 20th Century Fox taking over MGM, those lousy cheapskates (I'll bet a million dollars, all the problems with Return's Collector's Edition are their faults!). As a matter of fact, them doing From Beyond at the same time (which looks amazing, considering it's uncut and they thought the footage was lost forever, etc), Sony are the ones to thank for taking care of the material. 20th Century Fox just swoops in, buys MGM up, and probably makes most of the money off the 2007 re-releases.

Maybe when the film finally comes to Blu-Ray, we'll finally get those deleted scenes. :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHA one of my favorites! Was the first movie to introduce me to to wonderfully boobielicious Linnea Quigley...after watching this film it was my goal to do a strip tease in the middle of a graveyard...
Would you or would you not have to be drunk first?

I liked her quite a bit too. Mostly it's the way she talks. She's equally good in Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama. Either way, I think she gets great arm-candy in both flix (Yes, dear, I think it's a fuckin' costume. Sorry).

My heart, though, belongs to the Blond Paramedic. Hubba, hubba

The Frightmaster
06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
My heart, though, belongs to the Blond Paramedic. Hubba, hubba

I don't know if you know this, but the blonde guy who plays the paramedic wasn't originally cast in that part, he was a stand in. On the day of filming, the guy who was originally cast was SO bad they fired him on the spot and told the blonde guy he got the role. lol

TouchMe4Money
06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Nope. I absolutely didn't know that.

At least, I don't remember it being mentioned in the original audio commentary. But there's a lot I don't remember.

The Frightmaster
06-05-2009, 06:51 PM
At least, I don't remember it being mentioned in the original audio commentary. But there's a lot I don't remember.

They talked about it in the cast and crew commentary on collector's edition that was released in 2007.

TouchMe4Money
06-05-2009, 06:58 PM
If Netflix has it - I'd rent it (do you think they update a movie listing with a new disc every time one's released?)

Mickey_Mania
06-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Love this movie. This and the second one kicked ass.

TouchMe4Money
06-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I've only seen the second movie twice. Once on TV, and I don't remember it, and I rented the VHS. It was a fun rental. These days, I can't even begin to predict what a re-watch would bring.

tripprivers
06-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Saw the second one in the theater and loved it as a kid....but I dont think I have seen it since! I'm not sure how well it holds up but I do faintly recall a zombie being engrossed by an aerobics tape on the TV in the family living room.
I also loved the poster for ROTLD II - but now the foating face kinda reminds me of that flying dragon/dog hybrid from the NeverEnding Story

TouchMe4Money
06-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I think Return part 2 shares a similarity to Critters 2. Return came first (right?), but both movies I believe have a scene where a group of people lure the creatures into a truck with meat inside and try to lock them inside.

The Frightmaster
06-27-2009, 10:21 AM
I just watched Part 2 for the first time today and I must say I really enjoyed it! I liked it just as much as the original. It's definitely a worthy sequel.

Zombie Julie
07-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I love these movies, the Tarman rocks! :rock:

BRAINS!!!!!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_peFk7PpcaEo/SGWEdo1U7jI/AAAAAAAAAB4/tped0jxa0-A/s320/tarman.jpg

TouchMe4Money
07-08-2009, 02:27 AM
You know- I think Tarman is just abut the best zombie in film history as well (I think I'm warming up to Bub now- truth be told).

But, I can't stand pictures of him. He is SO! GROSS!

Torgo
08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I was in Barnes and Noble for the first time in forever today, and as always I took a gander at their movie related books. The first thing that caught my eye was a WHOLE BOOK, yes, A WHOLE BOOK!, with pictures and everything, about the making of Return of the Living Dead.

Anyone have this? Is it any good? Does it tell you anything we don't already know?

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-History-Return-Living-Dead/dp/0859654605/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1313095756&sr=8-10

the 'M' clam
08-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I have not seen the Return of the Living Dead in years. They are all great & I got them all on VHS videos.

Steven Lloyd
08-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Return of the Living Dead = the best zombie movie of all time. Actually, it's one of the most entertaining movies of all time as well. I will not believe arguments to the contrary.

Khan
08-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't call it the best by a long shot, but it is most certainly one of the most entertaining zombie movies ever. It is endlessly quotable and delivers when it comes to gore. Changing the zombie diet from any body part to specifically brains was a fun touch and I liked that the zombies talked.

Steven Lloyd
08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't call it the best by a long shot, but it is most certainly one of the most entertaining zombie movies ever. It is endlessly quotable and delivers when it comes to gore. Changing the zombie diet from any body part to specifically brains was a fun touch and I liked that the zombies talked.

Well, I honestly find it the best. Not as heavy on social commentary as the Romero films, but the popcorn value more than makes up for it.

A Dumb Question
08-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Do you wanna party? It's party time!

Really fun flick. Better than some of Romero's efforts. The sequels sucked.

the 'M' clam
08-12-2011, 04:11 PM
I was not that keen on the 4th film.

Rich
09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I absolutely love the first three Return movies. The 4th and 5th ones were terrible.

blacksymbiote
12-23-2011, 06:15 PM
I liked 1,2, and 4. 3 and 5 were meh.

Thorni52
12-23-2011, 09:12 PM
The 1st one was great. Didn't see the sequels but they look like trash.

blacksymbiote
12-24-2011, 10:38 PM
I thought part 2 and 4 had good characters and story. 3 just seemed like it was for those who think masochism is hot and 5 was just too hokey to even enjoy it as dumb fun.

MyersCult81
11-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Never cared too much for the series. I liked the 3rd one with the hot chick zombie though!

EvilOnTwoLegs
11-07-2012, 03:03 AM
The 1st one was great. Didn't see the sequels but they look like trash.

I was gonna post something witty here with a picture of Linnea Quigley, but all the good ones I found violate the forum rules.

A Dumb Question
11-07-2012, 02:48 PM
I have a hard time finding any Quigley picture, ROTLD-related or otherwise, that could be posted here.

Hawkwind
06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Return of the Living Dead is awesome, so classic and fun. The zombies are crazy and unique in this film, which makes it fun to watch in my opinion. I love the punk/new wave theme of it, the 80's seemed so fun! in my opinion I would put it up right after Romero's original dead trilogy.