PDA

View Full Version : Rob Zombie's Halloween: Early Review Talk

Pages : [1] 2 3

MMyers89
06-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Just got this idea because I pretty much don't want to know ANYTHING about the upcoming film, and it gets a little annoying sifting through the all the spoiler posts in the other thread. So maybe you could use this thread for all review talk containing spoilers, then once the movie comes out, it can just be used as a review thread.

I mean, you can still talk about what you thought of the reviews in the other thread, but just use this thread when discussing things IN the reveiw. Things that would contain spoilers, whether minor or major.

Just a thought, so as to further separate the major spoilers, since there is now reviews floating around out there. Then you guys can chat without having to use spoiler tags for everything.

If deemed unnecessary, then that's ok too, haha.

And if we decide to keep this thread, could a mod edit the title to include *MAJOR SPOILERS* or something.

Here's the links to the reviews:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33079

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33100

renee30152
07-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Cool idea MMyers 89.
As for the review, it is a good review, though MAJOR spoilers are in that review.
The movie sounds really good to me and I can't wait to see it! :D Thanks for posting it.

FreakZILLA
07-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I just got home from the first (at least that's what they claim) advance screening of Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN in Chatsworth, CA. All I can say is that this movie is INCREDIBLE! RZ absolutely shows respect to the original source material, but still manages to put his own signature on it. I'll try not to spoil it, unless you guys want spoilers. If so, just let me know.

Tyler Mane is very intense as Michael; every movement of his is full of intensity and rage. Danielle Harris was great in her role as Annie as well. Just about everyone did a great job, my only complaint is that Sheriff Brackett was not quite at the same level as the others.

Interesting note: Rob Zombie was actually in attendance for this screening. He stayed afterward and chatted with a small group of people, and I was able to go up to him, shake his hand and tell him he did a great job!

Man In Black
07-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks for letting us know FreakZilla. Glad you enjoyed the movie. I don't really want spoilers per say but would like to know a few things about the movie.

- Is this the version which includes Sid Haig/Bill Moseley/Leslie Easterbrook?
- I heard a lot about Scout's acting from the first test screening last month but heard very little about Daeg Faerch as young Michael - what did you think of him?
- How long would you suspect the movie's running time was?

Thanks if you can answer. For anyone wondering, the spoiler tag was probably not needed but I did it anyway.

Man In Black
07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
A review from IMDb board:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0373883/board/nest/79357774

FreakZILLA
07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Here you go MIB!

- I don't know those 3 names specifically, but one of them is shown on the Official News thread as being cast as the cemetary caretaker, and that character is in this version. I'm not 100% on the other two that were unknown Smith's Grove characters.
- Daeg Faerch did a very good job as young Michael. He definitely pulls of the "evil" look; especially the eyes.
- I would put the running time of this cut at just under 2 hours; probably about 1:50.

Hope that was able to answer your questions!

Man In Black
07-10-2007, 10:36 PM
That was fine thank you - thanks for the answers:)

hall0weendream
07-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I have a few questions for you:

1) How was Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael's mother? I heard she does an amzing job during a certain scene.
2) Another acting question for about Scout. How does she carry the role of Laurie, hopefully as good as past reviews said.
3) Was there still a temp score in place?
4) Was there any opening credits?
5) I'm sure it'll get asked, but is there still a scene of a patient being raped?

Thanks, those are just a few questions I had. I'm stoked you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to answer. :)

ColadaSplash
07-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Never mind. Question about the rape scene. Someone above me asked already.

Freakzilla, that's not entirely true about the screening. There was a screening in June. Probably not the same cut however.

ColadaSplash
07-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Oh, also... this is pretty important in my view. Did they tell you if the score used on your screening would be the final score in the film or just a temp.?

I'm getting the feeling reading reviews that this is going to be a very divided film along the lines of H20 -- the love/hate sort of thing. Well, at least that's an improvement from Halloween 8.

ghettomyers
07-10-2007, 11:04 PM
is the ending final or does it leave it open for another one.
also...did the movie actually make u jump

hey MIB im not registered can u post it on here

ColadaSplash
07-10-2007, 11:24 PM
That guy on the IMDB liked some pretty bad films (Halloween 5, Jason Goes to Hell, House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark), yet found this film grueling and boring. I was hoping it was some kind of belated April Fool's Day joke.

That scares me. I need a sad face. I know bad reviews will happen, but that's a really scary one.

He modified that review later and made it a little more positive. He originally left a completely bad one.

hall0weendream
07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
That guy on the IMDB liked some pretty bad films (Halloween 5, Jason Goes to Hell, House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark), yet found this film grueling and boring. I was hoping it was some kind of belated April Fool's Day joke.

That scares me. I need a sad face. I know bad reviews will happen, but that's a really scary one.

I wouldn't worry about his review because anyone who thinks that Loomis' book title is a reference to The Devil's Rejects and The Hills Have Eyes is not a big fan of the Halloween series. His review came off as he went in hating it so in the end he hated it. I hope we get more reviews soon.

Man In Black
07-11-2007, 04:38 AM
A review of the screening:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=531173&blogID=286387066

Flash Over
07-11-2007, 06:46 AM
A review of the screening:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=531173&blogID=286387066

Now...THATS a good review!!!

To freakZILLA......tell me

Everything you remember xD!!!

JamieLloydFan
07-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I have heard a Rumour that it will be shown at The Edinburgh International Film festival. I hope so, that would be quite convieniant since i'm scottish and will be able to see it next month!! (If Rumour is true, it did come from a decent Source)

Terrortino
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
im hoping to see a really in depth review where some scenes are actually explained. Every review is "this one scene was intense!!!!" or "there was one scene that wasnt needed!".....care to explain the details as to why and what happened?

IE: Young Michael is eating breakfast and he starts throwing food all over the kitchen...i felt this scene was not needed

or Michael takes a huge swing at Laurie with the knife and JUST catches her earlobe as she makes it to the door and she runs down the street holding her bleeding ear and screaming...this scene was intense

Man In Black
07-11-2007, 10:13 AM
This one was already posted in the main Zombie thread, but for sake of compiling them, might as well get them all in a single thread like the photos:)
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rob-Zombie-s-Halloween-Reader-Review-5733.html

FreakZILLA
07-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, here are answers to some of your questions:

- Sheri Moon Zombie did a good job as Michael's mom IMO. She (along with a majority of the cast) did a great job with their roles. You really feel for her character after everything goes down with young Michael.
- I really enjoyed Scout's portrayal of Laurie. It is different than Jamie Lee's Laurie; Scout's was not nearly as quiet and reserved. She was very believable in the action / chase sequences, and seemed genuinely terrified! Some people on the panel after the show did not like the interaction between Laurie, Annie and Linda, but I found nothing wrong with it.
- I couldn't tell if the score was temporary or final. It didn't come off to me as a temporary score, but I don't know for sure.
- There were no opening credits; just a "Halloween" splash after the Dimension/MGM intro.
- No rape scene.
- The ending left a possibility to continue; and it ends very suddenly much like the original did. Not that the ending is the same, but the sudden, no closure aspect of it is.

shuyin_zer0, if you want I can PM you later with all the details! I am at work right now, so I can't spend too much time posting until I get home.

Khan
07-11-2007, 10:58 AM

- Sheri Moon Zombie did a good job as Michael's mom IMO. She (along with a majority of the cast) did a great job with their roles. You really feel for her character after everything goes down with young Michael.
- I really enjoyed Scout's portrayal of Laurie. It is different than Jamie Lee's Laurie; Scout's was not nearly as quiet and reserved. She was very believable in the action / chase sequences, and seemed genuinely terrified! Some people on the panel after the show did not like the interaction between Laurie, Annie and Linda, but I found nothing wrong with it.
- I couldn't tell if the score was temporary or final. It didn't come off to me as a temporary score, but I don't know for sure.
- There were no opening credits; just a "Halloween" splash after the Dimension/MGM intro.
- No rape scene.
- The ending left a possibility to continue; and it ends very suddenly much like the original did. Not that the ending is the same, but the sudden, no closure aspect of it is.

shuyin_zer0, if you want I can PM you later with all the details! I am at work right now, so I can't spend too much time posting until I get home.

Rob said early on that he shot one closed ending, but it seems that the reshoots were done to facilitate sequals.

Flash Over
07-11-2007, 10:58 AM

- No rape scene.

Ok....thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!

Flash Over
07-11-2007, 10:59 AM
A million sequals, here we come!

...I hope they remeke 2....and end it there.....

Nightmare13
07-11-2007, 11:20 AM
I've got a question for you, FreakZILLA... It looks like Annie and Lynda get killed naked, but how bad is it? Are we talking Eyes Wide Shut orgy or just some T&A?

ColadaSplash
07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
No rape scene? I know I didn't spoilerize it, but it's not really a spoiler anymore. It's been heavily discussed.

Anyway, this is good news... What does this mean? The review on IMDB (the one who liked House of the Dead and Jason goes to Hell) was likely full of shite. He said the brutal rape scene was there last night. I mean how could someone think that scene was there if it wasn't?

Yay! I can breath with relief again till the next set back.

MyersDawg
07-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey, freakZILLA, I'd looooooooooooooooooove it if u pm'd me and told me what the ending is...i hate wating for it to come out. ha...thanks so much.

Khan
07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
...I hope they remeke 2....and end it there.....

For the last freaking time...

THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHTS TO REMAKE H2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roswell
07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I mean how could someone think that scene was there if it wasn't?

He could have made up the review without seeing the film, you know.

Joe Kerr
07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
For the last freaking time...

THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHTS TO REMAKE H2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yet...:bastard:

Khan
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
yet...:bastard:

I really should put it in my sig.:nodsmile:

ColadaSplash
07-11-2007, 11:44 AM
He could have made up the review without seeing the film, you know.

Which is what my entire post alludes to.

No kidding. I was basically calling him a liar, just subtly, because I don't really like to call people out directly. It's more fun doing it piece by piece.

ghettomyers
07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
freakzilla bro pm the ending plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bro, and explain the wat u mean in detail plzzz bout the open credits!!!!!!

Man In Black
07-11-2007, 11:57 AM
No -----------? I know I didn't spoilerize it, but it's not really a spoiler anymore. It's been heavily discussed.

I contacted a guy who went to the screening and confirmed there...
...was No rape scene in the movie he saw last night.

Roswell
07-11-2007, 12:00 PM
So either it was taken out or it was never in there to begin with, right?

Khan
07-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Removing the rape scene would facilitate the need for a new way for Michael to escape, so maybe the six new deaths were part of that.

Man In Black
07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
The dude who posted the review on IMDb that said the...
Rape scene was in the movie said - when mention was made of the rape scene being gone by another member that:

"I don't actually know. I left the theater for a moment to pee (I had downed about 40 ounces of cola waiting for the movie) and when I came back, Michael was loose."

So that explains that - in one way or another.

Removing the rape scene would facilitate the need for a new way for Michael to escape, so maybe the six new deaths were part of that.

This could possibly be why Bill Moseley & Leslie Easterbrook were brought in to Smiths Grove.

ColadaSplash
07-11-2007, 12:14 PM
So either it was taken out or it was never in there to begin with, right?

It was there in mid-June.

----------------------

Well, the IMDB reviewer responded with the following (of course he completely avoids how he could make a major mistake. I mean he said it was brutal himself):

"I don't actually know. I left the theater for a moment to pee (I had downed about 40 ounces of cola waiting for the movie) and when I came back, Michael was loose. btw, my post is light on spoilers but heavy on thematic analysis."

One wonders why he even wasted his time. Thematic analysis? Dear God... Please someone put the guy out of his misery.

---------------------

Added:

Man In Black beat me to it.

Gringo Loco
07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I contacted a guy who went to the screening and confirmed there...
...was No rape scene in the movie he saw last night.

This is great news (to me). I thought that the rape scene was unnecessary and it seemed too vile to me, much like HO1KC and TDR. I know alot of people like those films (sorry) but I did not.

Khan
07-11-2007, 12:46 PM
The rape scene existed for nothing but shock value.

I wonder if it was Rob or the studio (my bet) who removed it.

Joe Kerr
07-11-2007, 12:49 PM
The rape scene existed for nothing but shock value.

I wonder if it was Rob or the studio (my bet) who removed it.

they titled it the 'directors cut' in one of the reviews, so who knows?

thomasjarvis
07-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Why not just post all the details for everyone, utilising the spoiler tags?

The Kilted One
07-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Why not just post all the details for everyone, utilising the spoiler tags?

I don't know if that's as good an idea as it first seems. Let's take me as an example. As a member of the famous "third half" (yes, it's already here) I'm not sure if I'd like to know about the spoiler material, would not like to know about it, or if I wouldn't give a shite either way. That being said, my indecision will not be a factor, if I see massive spoiler tags in this thread, because I won't be able to help myself. So I say "No spoilers today, no spoilers tomorrow, and no spoilers ever." ...that is all.

Todd 78
07-11-2007, 04:04 PM
freakzilla bro pm the ending plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bro, and explain the wat u mean in detail plzzz bout the open credits!!!!!!

Me too Please. I am a spoiler junkie

Khan
07-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Me too.

FreakZILLA
07-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Everyone, I have a post with massive spoilers ready to go. However, I don't want to step on anybody's toes, or upset a bunch of people. I would say you guys should respond with whether you want spoilers in this thread or not, and I will go with what the majority decides.

Todd 78
07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Everyone, I have a post with massive spoilers ready to go. However, I don't want to step on anybody's toes, or upset a bunch of people. I would say you guys should respond with whether you want spoilers in this thread or not, and I will go with what the majority decides.

Spoilers Please

Gringo Loco
07-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm fine with uber spoilers.

Khan
07-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Please post!

The Kilted One
07-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Dude, first of all, thanks for all the info, as I really enjoyed it. Second, in response to my previous post, I actually have pretty good will power and won't read the spoilers if I don't absolutely want to. Since plenty of folks want the info, my vote says: "post dat shit, bro". Thanks

FreakZILLA
07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Ok, I will provide all the details I can remember below, utilizing spoiler tags. Please beware that clicking the spoiler button will give you A LOT of details about this movie, so be warned!!!!!

Story / Plot Spoilers:

- Michael is now part of a somewhat white-trash broken home. His mom is a stripper, and his step-dad is a drunk who appears to be collecting some sort of disability. Judith does come off as somewhat trampy. Michael does in fact talk quite a bit as a child (at first I didn't like this fact, but as the movie moved on I think it worked). Also, baby Laurie is seen here a number of times (though not called Laurie of course).
- The principal has photos of many animals that Michael has tortured and killed. The principal calls in Dr. Loomis, who wants to bring Michael in for therapy.
- On Halloween Night, Michael's mom is off at work, the step-dad is passed out on a chair, and we all know what Judith is doing! Michael one-ups the original by violently murdering his step-father, Judlith's boyfriend, and finally Judith. On a side note, Judith's boyfriend actually introduces the famous Shatner Mask here.
- A lot of time is spent on Michael in Smith's Grove, and you see him fall further away from reality as he becomes mute and starts making hundereds of masks that he regularly wears.
- He escapes when a number of security guards attempt to move him; he kills them all and then finally kills the janitor who has been his friend for 15 years.
- I won't go into too much detail on the middle, other than that there are a lot of homages to the original (He kills a trucker to get the overalls, we are introduced to Laurie, Tommy, Annie and Linda in a similar way also).
- Michael shows up at the Strode house and kills Mr. and Mrs. Strode while looking for Laurie. Much like the original series, they do not explain how he knows where Laurie is.
- Annie and Linda are both attacked while naked. I say attacked because it is never confirmed if Annie dies; she does get carted off in an ambulance, but is breathing at that point. The scenes are not horrific; just a little more intense than your basic T&A killings in other horror movies.
- It appears that Michael kills Dr. Loomis at the end by crushing the bridge of his nose into his brain, but that could easily be retconned into Dr. Loomis being unconcious in a sequel.

The Ending:
- At the end of the movie, Michael is on the ground with Laurie on top of him. She has Loomis' gun, which he has already fired at Michael a number of times. She aims at his head, and shoots, but gets the "click" of an empty chamber. She does again, with the same result. Michael reaches up and grabs her hand, and she starts screaming and fires again, this time with a bullet in the chamber. She continues to scream as the camera pans into her face, and then the end credits roll. I should note that the camera angle when she actually fires a bullet is focused on Laurie only, you never see where the bullet went or if it actually hit Michael at all. Very open for a sequel if you ask me!

If anyone has any other specific questions, I will try my best to answer.

Gringo Loco
07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Ok, I will provide all the details I can remember below, utilizing spoiler tags. Please beware that clicking the spoiler button will give you A LOT of details about this movie, so be warned!!!!!

Story / Plot Spoilers:

- Michael is now part of a somewhat white-trash broken home. His mom is a stripper, and his step-dad is a drunk who appears to be collecting some sort of disability. Judith does come off as somewhat trampy. Michael does in fact talk quite a bit as a child (at first I didn't like this fact, but as the movie moved on I think it worked). Also, baby Laurie is seen here a number of times (though not called Laurie of course).
- The principal has photos of many animals that Michael has tortured and killed. The principal calls in Dr. Loomis, who wants to bring Michael in for therapy.
- On Halloween Night, Michael's mom is off at work, the step-dad is passed out on a chair, and we all know what Judith is doing! Michael one-ups the original by violently murdering his step-father, Judlith's boyfriend, and finally Judith. On a side note, Judith's boyfriend actually introduces the famous Shatner Mask here.
- A lot of time is spent on Michael in Smith's Grove, and you see him fall further away from reality as he becomes mute and starts making hundereds of masks that he regularly wears.
- He escapes when a number of security guards attempt to move him; he kills them all and then finally kills the janitor who has been his friend for 15 years.
- I won't go into too much detail on the middle, other than that there are a lot of homages to the original (He kills a trucker to get the overalls, we are introduced to Laurie, Tommy, Annie and Linda in a similar way also).
- Michael shows up at the Strode house and kills Mr. and Mrs. Strode while looking for Laurie. Much like the original series, they do not explain how he knows where Laurie is.
- Annie and Linda are both attacked while naked. I say attacked because it is never confirmed if Annie dies; she does get carted off in an ambulance, but is breathing at that point. The scenes are not horrific; just a little more intense than your basic T&A killings in other horror movies.
- It appears that Michael kills Dr. Loomis at the end by crushing the bridge of his nose into his brain, but that could easily be retconned into Dr. Loomis being unconcious in a sequel.

The Ending:
- At the end of the movie, Michael is on the ground with Laurie on top of him. She has Loomis' gun, which he has already fired at Michael a number of times. She aims at his head, and shoots, but gets the "click" of an empty chamber. She does again, with the same result. Michael reaches up and grabs her hand, and she starts screaming and fires again, this time with a bullet in the chamber. She continues to scream as the camera pans into her face, and then the end credits roll. I should note that the camera angle when she actually fires a bullet is focused on Laurie only, you never see where the bullet went or if it actually hit Michael at all. Very open for a sequel if you ask me!

That sounds like a kick ass ending.

The Kilted One
07-11-2007, 05:01 PM
I am a Zen master (I didn't look... even though I was dying to).

Khan
07-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info!

Todd 78
07-11-2007, 05:05 PM

Story / Plot Spoilers:

The Ending:

Thank You so much I'm in awe.

Wow Dr Loomis may have died. That's a potentially ballsy move. I kinda of like it Some won't , Just like the ending,it is almost similar to the ambigous ending to the Sopranos. I have great faithin this film. All those worried tht Michael was going to be sympathetic can rest esily. He killed the janitor( a friend)

I love it

ColadaSplash
07-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Very tempting, but I'll hate myself in the morning. I just can't click.

I need self control.

Khan
07-11-2007, 05:28 PM
So it looks like Rob wasn't telling the truth about having a closed ending.

Todd 78
07-11-2007, 05:31 PM
So it looks like Rob wasn't telling the truth about having a closed ending.

Well he never said there wasn't going to room for no sequel, His interpertation mighht be the bullet killed Michael.He did say the film would be ambigous. These spoilers are lay to rest anyones worried about Michael being sympathetic.

Monte
07-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Considering what was described, for all we know the film could have been screened without the real ending.

Khan
07-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, as JP said, there is still lots of work to be done on the film, and who knows what could change in the meantime?

Frazetta
07-11-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't think the spoilers are really anything too crazy.Loomis dying seems like it could easily go either way. If Pleasence can survive an explosion McDowell can survive a busted up face. Same goes for Michael's 'death'. I think Rob could easily add in or take out scenes to make this movie go in a number of directions before August 31st. The reviews sound very good too!

FreakZILLA
07-11-2007, 07:52 PM
They did refer to it as "The Director's Cut" before they showed the film, so it is very possible that things will change in the next 6 weeks. I have a feeling that Dimension might want to tone down the language; there are an awful lot of f-bombs (as you might expect). I personally hope they don't make any drastic changes to the story, as I felt that the story told in this cut was exactly right. Well, exactly what I wanted in a HALLOWEEN remake anyway!

ColadaSplash
07-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Here's a new review (not sure of it's validity, so if someone wants to check it out, feel free):

http://popculturebeast.blogspot.com/2007/07/was-it-boogeyman.html

Butchered_victim
07-12-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm so excited for this album! All of the spoilers sound really promising, assuming they're true. The only thing I dislike is Rob Zombie using the term "faggot" repeatedly in the film. Is it really necessary? I think it's just derogatory and hateful. I'm still going to see the film of course, but I hope they take this word out of the film because it really offends me.

RDS
07-12-2007, 03:35 AM
A madman running around stabbing teenagers is hateful as well.

This is a movie about characters, some of which are not good people.

If you are offended by words, but not by brutal killings, then....

Flash Over
07-12-2007, 03:56 AM
freakZILLA....can you tell us a bit (or alot) about
Laurie's chase/the swimming pool scene

Annie's confrontation with Michael

And also...
a bit more detail on how he killed his family...

thx.

Khan
07-12-2007, 06:25 AM
If you are offended by words, but not by brutal killings, then....

The frequent use of f-bombs and the other f-word don't offend me, but they seem unnecessary.

The rape scene was also unnecessary and it was cut.

RDS
07-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Good point. There is a difference in being offensive and being unnecessary.

Monte
07-12-2007, 10:35 AM
As long as "faggot" isn't used by any characters the movie wants me to sympathize with, it won't bother me.

Mephistopheles
07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
The only person who I remember saying "faggot" in the script was the William Forsythe character and maybe the bullies, so I wouldn't worry about any of the sympathetic characters being homophobes.

The Kilted One
07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Again, I think a little maturity goes a long way. Heavy use of "strong language" distracts me aswell, but I can't imagine actually being offended by hearing it in a movie. Being that touchy can set an individual up for a very uncomfotable life, because simply walking down a city street could have the potential to cause them great offence. That said, everyone is different and some have thicker skin than others. I guess the bottom line is that if you think you can't watch a film without getting upset, it might be better to stay away from the theaters.

The Frightmaster
07-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Well speaking of strong language I hope that they don't use the "F" to much. I don't know what it is about that word but I really dislike it. I don't mind any other curse words but the word Fuck just rubs me the wrong way.Like JLC in H20 she said "FUCK" a couple of times and it really bothered me. But somethings telling me it might be in the script a good bit because I've read interviews with Rob he likes to say the "F" word a lot.

The Kilted One
07-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Well speaking of strong language I hope that they don't use the "F" to much. I don't know what it is about that word but I really dislike it. I don't mind any other curse words but the word Fuck just rubs me the wrong way.Like JLC in H20 she said "FUCK" a couple of times and it really bothered me. But somethings telling me it might be in the script a good bit because I've read interviews with Rob he likes to say the "F" word a lot.

I'm the same way, but I bet you don't feel personally affronted by it. Am I right, buddy?

The Frightmaster
07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm the same way, but I bet you don't feel personally affronted by it. Am I right, buddy?

No I'm not personally affronted by it, I just don't really like that word and I feel that it's unnecessary to use the word "fuck" after every other word. I mean if the word is used in the movie I'm not gonna be deeply offended and storm out of the theater or anything like that.

The Kilted One
07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
No I'm not personally affronted by it, I just don't really like that word and I feel that it's unnecessary to use the word "fuck" after every other word. I mean if the word is used in the movie I'm not gonna be deeply offended and storm out of the theater or anything like that.

That's the same way I feel. I agree 100%.

The Frightmaster
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
That's the same way I feel. I agree 100%.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone.:nodsmile:

The Kilted One
07-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Well I'm glad I'm not alone.:nodsmile:

I got your back, you Bastard.

ColadaSplash
07-12-2007, 01:45 PM
New review from the Halloween Series Webmaster -- Chad K.

He said it's his least favorite Halloween film. However, he does nothing but compare it to the original, so he may be biased against it. That's up to you to decide: maybe, maybe not. He does want this to be completely forgotten and wants a sequel to the original series.

It's also the first review I've seen that basically pans Scout Taylor Compton. The exact opposite from most other reviews.

http://www.halloweenseries.com/rzhhalloweenreview

Khan
07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
He does want this to be completely forgotten and wants a sequel to the original series.

He is living in a dream world.

That will never happen.

ColadaSplash
07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
He is living in a dream world.

That will never happen.

I agree. If this film ends up universally hated -- or close to it -- it will be many years before we see another film period.

And it would likely be another reboot of some sort when horror hits another high years from now. I agree. I don't see them ever returning to Halloween: Resurrection's storyline. It's just never happening. I personally could care less. My love for this series has been on a fine line for years. Then I remember when things were good many years ago and it returns.

"Never say never," they say... Well, it's about the same chance as getting a Jason X sequel.

Todd 78
07-12-2007, 02:09 PM

He said it's his least favorite Halloween film. However, he does nothing but compare it to the original, so he may be biased against it. That's up to you to decide: maybe, maybe not. He does want this to be completely forgotten and wants a sequel to the original series.

It's also the first review I've seen that basically pans Scout Taylor Compton. The exact opposite from most other reviews.

Anyone that wants a sequel to Resurrection has no credibilty to me.

It is interesting to me that your finding everything to try and discredit the film or make it look bad. Including, accusing good reviews of being fake because it was written too well

ColadaSplash
07-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Anyone that wants a sequel to Resurrection has no credibilty to me.

It is interesting to me that your finding everything to try and discredit the film or make it look bad. Including, accusing good reviews of being fake because it was written too well

What are you talking about? Actually, you have the backwards. I'm thinking this guy is biased which is why I said "he may be biased, you decide."

I discredited one "IMDB" review that was proven false. It was a negative review I actually discredited. Where have you been? Everyone knows this already because it was declared false. It's a fact.

I "questioned" one other review with an "It's a Wonderful Life" reference that was very well written. I never discredited it, I questioned it. Not many people in general know how to write. So, it's a little hard to believe someone "pulled casually off the street" for a "secret screening" would have A-quality writing skills. The review is bloated to say the least. It makes this film sound like one of the best films of the past decade. Move over Citizen Kane... Move over The Godfather... Move over Freaky Friday...

You're making up stories in your own head... I have praised the parts of this movie I liked, and questioned the things I have questioned.

I'm not some blind fan who's going to believe everything they're thrown. People lie both ways -- for this film and against it.

If someone is potentially lying to distort the facts, I will ask questions. That goes for those against this film and those for the film. Both ways! I'm an equal opportunity employer and it's what everyone should do. Don't base opinions off blind faith with nothing behind them. It's how people lose their life savings and get scammed every single day. Ask questions and do research... That's my philosophy.

The Frightmaster
07-12-2007, 02:49 PM

Now it's reviews like these that get me worried. I was all excited because I read a review that was really positive and the reviewer said mostly everything was great and RZ's halloween is his second favorite and now this reviewer said this is the worst halloween film and said pretty much the opposite of what the positive reviewer said. I hope all the bad things are changed and we get a great movie.

Khan
07-12-2007, 03:05 PM
In the end, it is just one person's opinion.

Todd
07-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Now it's reviews like these that get me worried. I was all excited because I read a review that was really positive and the reviewer said mostly everything was great and RZ's halloween is his second favorite and now this reviewer said this is the worst halloween film and said pretty much the opposite of what the positive reviewer said. I hope all the bad things are changed and we get a great movie.
That reviewer was obviously biased.
He clearly didn't want a remake and hopes that they will go back and make a sequel to Ressurection (not gonna happen).
I would put more trust into the reviews of those who said they were skeptical, but ended up liking the movie.

The Frightmaster
07-12-2007, 03:16 PM
He clearly didn't want a remake and hopes that they will go back and make a sequel to Ressurection (not gonna happen).
I would put more trust into the reviews of those who said they were skeptical, but ended up liking the movie.

Well that makes me feel a little better. Thanks.

thx1138
07-12-2007, 03:44 PM

So he liked the horrid messy that is H5 better than RZ's Halloween? I think this guy went in totally biased against the movie. He went in expecting to see Halloween 1978 and ended up seeing something he couldn't handle. Living in the past...

Padams
07-12-2007, 03:45 PM
I just find it surprising that no one snuck a camera or cell phone into the screening(s). In principal, it's a naughty thought on my part, but I have to admit that I would watch it.

I just want to know more detail, as I am a self-proclaimed spoiler whore, about:
Annie's "death" scene and Laurie's chase scene. I have read that the ending has Laurie attempting to fire rounds into Michael (from Loomis' gun), while on top of him. Michael grabs Laurie leading to the camera panning towards Laurie's face screaming -- then we hear a successful gun shot.

That's the most detail I have read in a review to date. Most just mention how intense this one scene was or how gorey another scene was. Vague vague vague. Damnit, now I am actually going to have to wait until August 31st. Thanks for nothin'. Creeps.

Mephistopheles
07-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Personally, from what I've read, I think the original ending is better than the new one. Oh well.

Padams
07-12-2007, 04:02 PM
What is it that you have read, Mephistopheles? If you care to share .. I'm all ears .. er .. eyes .. yeah. You know what I mean.

Mephistopheles
07-12-2007, 04:05 PM
What is it that you have read, Mephistopheles? If you care to share .. I'm all ears .. er .. eyes .. yeah. You know what I mean.

In the original script, Michael is holding Laurie and Loomis pleads for him to let her go. He does, but then lunges after Loomis, and is shot by the police. As he dies, we either A.) hear a tape recording of young Michael talking to his mother in better times (in the script) or B.) see a flashback of young Michael with his little sister (from what I heard in early screening reviews).

I guess the hardcore horror fans will probably like the new one better because its more intense but I thought the other ones wrapped the film up better.

J/w, do you think knowing what happens ruins the film? I'm a bit pissed at myself for looking at all the spoilers.

Padams
07-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes and no.

What ruins it for me is the fact that I want to tell everyone around me what is going to happen when they want none of it.

What doesn't ruin it for me is the fact that I am a control freak and like knowing all that I may possibly know before August 31st.

I am a sick and tortured soul. Also:

What you mentioned, I feel, would have worked really well. Are you as surprised as me that no one has leaked any footage from camera or phone of this movie? Do they really pat you down before they let you view the screening?

ColadaSplash
07-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Yes and no.

What ruins it for me is the fact that I want to tell everyone around me what is going to happen when they want none of it.

What doesn't ruin it for me is the fact that I am a control freak and like knowing all that I may possibly know before August 31st.

I am a sick and tortured soul. Also:

What you mentioned, I feel, would have worked really well. Are you as surprised as me that no one has leaked any footage from camera or phone of this movie? Do they really pat you down before they let you view the screening?

A leaked "screener" would be disasterous for this film. Especially this early...

I really hope the production is keeping a close eye out for this. Hostel 2 was leaked from someone on the inside (almost guaranteed I would say) -- that's why it was DVD quality and came out before the film even opened.

Films have a hard enough time making it nowadays. They don't need the bootleg nonsense. Of course this film will be leaked eventually, but hopefully not until after the film opens.

Terrortino
07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Everything is opinion so never let a review get you down! All that matters is what YOU like and dislike on the big screen on August 31st. If this turns out to be your favorite halloween in the whole series than thats awesome, if its your least favorite thats okay too. Its all about personal preference. Just the mere fact alone that there is no rapper in this movie already gives it a curve of a D+ in my eyes, so it cant completely fail :dizzy:

Padams
07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree whole heartidly. I am in no way supporting the process of bootlegging -- but I have just found it hard to believe that not even a piece of audio had been leaked.

If it were leaked, even just 1 minute of audio and or video, would you watch it?

Mephistopheles
07-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd be tempted to. But in the end, if its a film I want to see in theaters, I'll wait. Before I saw Spider-Man 3 I had several opportunities to download it off the internet but I wanted the IMAX experience so I just held it out. The same goes for Halloween. I'd want to experience it firsthand in theaters to get the full effect.

Flash Over
07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I just find it surprising that no one snuck a camera or cell phone into the screening(s). In principal, it's a naughty thought on my part, but I have to admit that I would watch it.

With a guilty pleasure....I've been checking torrent sites every hour xD

Monte
07-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Anyone who's hoping for Halloween 9 to happen and thinks the remake is worse than Resurrection is someone who needs to be put in the quiet room for the rest of their life. I'm all for hearing opinions on the film whether good or bad, but I'm afraid insane people are disqualified.

FreakZILLA
07-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Regarding the questions:

- The swimming pool scene is pretty basic, but definitely suspensful. With Laurie in the deep end of the empty pool trying desperately to climb out, and Michael just standing outside the pool and looking at her for a minute before making the slow, calculated walk down the pool steps toward her in the deep end. The entire chase through the Myers house / pool scene is very suspensful, and I thought it was as good as (if not better than) the rooftop chase scene in H4.
- I'm a little fuzzy on the details of Annie's confrontation with Michael (the details are slipping after a few days), but from what I remember he throws her around, beats her up a little, and drags her across the living room. He doesn't stab her that I recall, just leaves her bloody and seemingly near death.
- How he killed his family? He bound his step-dad to the chair he was passed out in, and then slit his throat. He beat Judith's boyfriend to death with a baseball bat, and of course he stabbed Judith to death. Afterwards he picked his baby sister up out of the crib and took her outside and sat with her on the curb until his mom came home.

Man In Black
07-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Regarding the questions:

- The swimming pool scene is pretty basic, but definitely suspensful. With Laurie in the deep end of the empty pool trying desperately to climb out, and Michael just standing outside the pool and looking at her for a minute before making the slow, calculated walk down the pool steps toward her in the deep end. The entire chase through the Myers house / pool scene is very suspensful, and I thought it was as good as (if not better than) the rooftop chase scene in H4.
- I'm a little fuzzy on the details of Annie's confrontation with Michael (the details are slipping after a few days), but from what I remember he throws her around, beats her up a little, and drags her across the living room. He doesn't stab her that I recall, just leaves her bloody and seemingly near death.
- How he killed his family? He bound his step-dad to the chair he was passed out in, and then slit his throat. He beat Judith's boyfriend to death with a baseball bat, and of course he stabbed Judith to death. Afterwards he picked his baby sister up out of the crib and took her outside and sat with her on the curb until his mom came home.

Thanks man. I have a couple of questions about:
- Deborah Myers' fate. We know from photo's she survives the original Halloween night when MM kills Ronnie, Steve & Judith. In the leaked draft she commits suicide when Michael escapes - is this still the case?
- Is Paul the pumpkin head:D

Flash Over
07-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok, Thanks!!!
well...um, do you remember much of these then:
I can't specify the scene....but it has to do with Laurie's chase, in a house, The picture I saw was something of Michael breaking through wooden walls or something...

Laurie's talk with Loomis in the police car...what happens afterwards

Laurie's reaction when finding her friends "dead" and how it's different in this film..and when she first sees Michael

...sorry if Im being a pain!

FreakZILLA
07-12-2007, 09:07 PM
I think that these negative reviews are coming out for 2 main reasons. 1) People are watching this remake and holding it up in comparison to the original, which is one of the most beloved horror films of all time. No remake, no matter HOW good, is going to live up to that comparison. 2) People are comparing This version of Laurie and Loomis against the previous versions; not based on only H1, but based on the entire series. In a series that spanned 8 films with these 2 characters appearing in multiple chapters, it's practically impossible to isolate only their H1 characterizations when comparing them to the new film. For instance, the review by Chad K. stated that you don't connect with this Laurie like you did with Laurie in the original. In my opinion, you don't connect with Laurie in H1 nearly as much as you do in H2, and I think you can connect with the new Laurie almost as much as JLC's H1 version. It's all going to be personal opinion one way or the other, but I feel that if you go into this movie looking at it as a fresh start and not trying to scrutinize it against the original, you will be in for a very fun couple of hours at the movies on 8/31.

FreakZILLA
07-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Here you go MIB:

- Deborah does commit suicide, but well before Michael escapes. After being in Smith's Grove for about a year, Michael kills a nurse while his mother is visiting. She then goes home and kills herself.
- Paul IS the pumpkinhead!

Shuyin:
- I do know the scene (part of the chase / pool scene at the Myers house). What do you want to know about it? He does bust through a wall for a nice audience jump while she is trying to get through the fence.
- While they're in the police car, Michael busts through the window and drags Laurie out, leading to the final run through the Myers house where Loomis is killed(?) and ultimately the end of the film.
- Laurie's reaction to finding her friends dead: I wold have to say she was terrified! Her reactions were more fear/panic based, while Jamie Lee's in the original were very shock-based (as in, it didn't register as much with her because she was in shock at the events that were happening).

Monte
07-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Man, Young Michael is one mean little bastard in this movie, isn't he.

FreakZILLA
07-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Yes, he is definitely a little SOB.

Monte
07-12-2007, 09:39 PM
I have a question that I don't think is very spoilery but I guess I'll tag it anyway.

How is the main title sequence presented? Did it look finalized or was it a "Insert Credits Here" kind of deal?

Myers Insurance
07-13-2007, 12:36 AM
If I remember from what he said in an earlier thread, it was just a title saying Halloween.

And that h-s.com review is very biased against the original. When the news came out, the guy was complaining that Rob Zombie was never going to match the original and he wanted an H9 instead.

Khan
07-13-2007, 04:35 AM
I think that these negative reviews are coming out for 2 main reasons. 1) People are watching this remake and holding it up in comparison to the original, which is one of the most beloved horror films of all time. No remake, no matter HOW good, is going to live up to that comparison. 2) People are comparing This version of Laurie and Loomis against the previous versions; not based on only H1, but based on the entire series. In a series that spanned 8 films with these 2 characters appearing in multiple chapters, it's practically impossible to isolate only their H1 characterizations when comparing them to the new film. For instance, the review by Chad K. stated that you don't connect with this Laurie like you did with Laurie in the original. In my opinion, you don't connect with Laurie in H1 nearly as much as you do in H2, and I think you can connect with the new Laurie almost as much as JLC's H1 version. It's all going to be personal opinion one way or the other, but I feel that if you go into this movie looking at it as a fresh start and not trying to scrutinize it against the original, you will be in for a very fun couple of hours at the movies on 8/31.

In some instances (not Chad K's), maybe they just didn't like the movie.

Monte
07-13-2007, 04:51 AM
In some instances (not Chad K's), maybe they just didn'y like the movie.

Those that don't have some kind of vendetta against Rob Zombie seem pretty fair. They are also probably what most reviews will be like when the movie is released.

samhain51
07-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Those that don't have some kind of vendetta against Rob Zombie seem pretty fair. They are also probably what most reviews will be like when the movie is released.

Everyone needs to be fair and open minded thats the only way to get a goood review on this film:nodsmile:

Nightmare13
07-13-2007, 07:16 AM
I have a couple more questions…

How gory would you say the movie is? I mean, when compared to gorier horror films coming out lately?

And, not to sound like a pervert or anything, but how much nudity does the film have? Is their any frontal nudity or is it just breast shots?

Flash Over
07-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Shuyin:
- I do know the scene (part of the chase / pool scene at the Myers house). What do you want to know about it? He does bust through a wall for a nice audience jump while she is trying to get through the fence.
- While they're in the police car, Michael busts through the window and drags Laurie out, leading to the final run through the Myers house where Loomis is killed(?) and ultimately the end of the film.
- Laurie's reaction to finding her friends dead: I wold have to say she was terrified! Her reactions were more fear/panic based, while Jamie Lee's in the original were very shock-based (as in, it didn't register as much with her because she was in shock at the events that were happening).

Thanks!!
ok...um...how is the whole chase scene laid out? exactly WHY is Laurie in the police car(Im guessing it's because she found her friends dead) and..Does Michael actually say a setence when grown up?

Khan
07-13-2007, 07:29 AM

Not that it matters, but also I don't see this movie getting critically praised.

Man In Black
07-13-2007, 12:51 PM
This is a review of the movie (the second section) and a guy saying he wasn't able to watch it (first section).
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33313

Review is not overly positive or negative.

Monte
07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
The concept of test screenings is in a horrible need of reconfiguration.

Khan
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
however, the film is cameo HEAVY! Beyond Zombie's usual suspects, he has cast so many horror/sci-fi icons and just film personalities, that it takes you out of the story each time one pops up. I'm not spoiling here... it's on IMDB... two words: Clint Howard.

There is virtually no suspense or atmosphere in the film.

Dimension really has no idea of how to do a test screening.

Monte
07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't think either of those quotes are spoilers. They're the usual things one finds in a movie review.

Khan
07-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I altered my post.

It doesn't surprise me that they turned the guy away given the target market of the movie.

Monte
07-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Hence the problem with the current test screening and marketing process.

And anything is better when you add Clint Howard, so I don't know what the other guy is talking about there.

ColadaSplash
07-13-2007, 02:03 PM
The 17-34 demographic isn't really the only demographic for this film. Granted, most older people will catch it on DVD (like they do everything else nowadays), but they're still in the demographic.

Is "Movie B. with the clipboard" forgetting that the original teenage audience of Halloween would be in their 40's (+) now. Some of them will be interested in seeing this out of sheer curiosity. And, the guy said she was letting people in who were older than him. I don't know... Doesn't make much sense to me why he wasn't let in? Sounds like something's missing.

Well, the guy apparently seems to idolize everyone at Aintitcoolnews, so maybe "Movie B." was scared by his presence or something. I'd personally be scared by anyone who idolized the people there.

She should have let the guy in. I'd rather hear from someone who wanted to be there than from some silly teen girl in California who "hates" horror films.

Half the teens, nowadays, can't even put together a full sentence coherently [see IMDB], let alone make major decisions in film direction. Seeing many films now, not even the creators and script writers can do it.

That's not true of all teens of course: A decent portion of teens could come up with better ideas than the creators. I've seen some pretty decently written stories that should be looked at seriously.

However, those aren't the teens being let in at this screening judging from the overview. It's the "Malibu twin" demographic.

thx1138
07-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I have a feeling that Dimension is going to test screen this thing to death. It is going to end up a muddled mess with no clear direction or plot once they get done "enhancing it for the target market".

Monte
07-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, if it ends up like H6, we'll at least have another entertaining mess. I mean if they're gonna fuck it up, hell, go all the way.

Todd 78
07-13-2007, 03:39 PM
I have a feeling that Dimension is going to test screen this thing to death. It is going to end up a muddled mess with no clear direction or plot once they get done "enhancing it for the target market".

I think Zombie will get his vision in the theaters.I think Tes screening 2 is pretty much going to be the final product

Khan
07-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Even if he doesn't get his true vision out in theaters, there is always DVD.

twistkill
07-13-2007, 05:27 PM
I am wondering if we get the suspense of Michael stabbing Laurie? It sounds like we wont, cause he is wanting to get her for him, not kill her. That is my fav scene of original, when Michael lashes Laurie on stairway.

Khan
07-13-2007, 06:13 PM
According to one review, there is no suspense at all.

That is just one person's opinion though.

Todd
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
It looks like most of the reviews have been good.
Of course, that won't stop certain people from accentuating any negative things that might be said.

Khan
07-13-2007, 07:18 PM
It will be interesting to see how it measures up on the Tomatometer.

Mephistopheles
07-13-2007, 08:15 PM
It'll probably get a rotten rating but I have a feeling it'll be more mixed than outright negative. Devil's Rejects received a 'rotten' rating of 53% but the consensus was "Zombie has improved as a filmmaker since "House of 1000 Corpses" and will please fans of the genre, but beware -- the horror is nasty, relentless, and sadistic."

The fact that this Halloween will be pretty graphic and focus more on Michael's backstory in response to the sparse gore from the original and the mysteriousness of Myers will undoubtedly attract a lot of angry critics.

I'll read the professional reviews but I'm going to pay more attention to the horror sites like Dread Central, Bloody-Disgusting and Arrow in the Head.

Regarding the ending...
Although I miss the original one, I have a feeling that Michael getting shot down with flashbacks of him in happier times will probably get a lot of "OMG! This is the same ending to Rejects!!!" Still, at least we'll get to see it on DVD hopefully.

ScoutFan88
07-13-2007, 08:15 PM
I have a few kind of trivial questions, but if you could please answer them that would be great of you.

I just have a few little questions.
~Does Judith have a chase at all? Or is she just killed.
~What is Leslie easterbrook's role? She was added later, what does she do...?
~Is Lyndas death just a repeat from the orginal? If not, how does it differ, ect...
~And about the Annie scene, Danielle said she puts up a fight, does Annie almost get away and does she do any damage?
~ And now a kind of odd question, but something ive been wondering about... how do the girls play their roles differently then the original set of girls? Actually, i'm just kind of focusing on Lynda with this question. How is her character, and does Kristen Klebe do a good job?

THANKS!

Myers Insurance
07-13-2007, 08:21 PM
If I remember correctly from other reviews, Leslie Easterbrook's character is a nurse at Smith's Grove who is stabbed in the neck with a fork by Michael.

Monte
07-13-2007, 08:23 PM
And the nurse character's name is Wynn. Perhaps a sort of "fuck you" to the Thorn plot?

ScoutFan88
07-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks, but actually that's Sybil Danning

Man In Black
07-13-2007, 10:21 PM
It'll probably get a rotten rating but I have a feeling it'll be more mixed than outright negative. Devil's Rejects received a 'rotten' rating of 53% but the consensus was "Zombie has improved as a filmmaker since "House of 1000 Corpses" and will please fans of the genre, but beware -- the horror is nasty, relentless, and sadistic."

The fact that this Halloween will be pretty graphic and focus more on Michael's backstory in response to the sparse gore from the original and the mysteriousness of Myers will undoubtedly attract a lot of angry critics.

I'll read the professional reviews but I'm going to pay more attention to the horror sites like Dread Central, Bloody-Disgusting and Arrow in the Head.

I think when the "professional critics" reviews start coming in its time for me to take a little holiday without internet access because this place has the real potential to be in meltdown for a couple of weeks.

Several things which I expect:
1. When a positive review comes in people will be "OMG this movies gonna rock" and some will be "this guy has no credability, he gave Saw II a good rating"
2. When a negative review comes in there will be a distinct case of "I told ya so's - Zombie's a hack" from some and in the case of others, the real possibility of suicidal thoughts:yar: and even stetches to save the possibility of the reviewers credability "this guy wouldn't know a good movie if it bit him on his ass - he liked Jingle All The Way".

Once the pro's reviews come in for a movie I've been looking forward to (Zodiac for instance) I might not even read them and just go and watch the movie. But when I do, reviews don't stick with me, I read them and move on. Thats why, despite my excessive news and information gathering for the new Halloween movie I don't and won't throw myself under a bus because someone doesn't like a movie I haven't seen - and when I do see it - and I didn't like it, I doubt it'll be that big of a deal. If I like it, its a bonus.

Monte
07-13-2007, 10:30 PM
You know that scene in Event Horizon where they unscramble the video recording? That's what this place is going to be when the movie is finally released.

Man In Black
07-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't doubt it. It was pretty tedious when Resurrection came out but I don't believe anybody truly thought the movie was going to be any good anyway - with this one there is somewhat a deep down hope, from at least most people, that the movie might be good - or at least be a good way to spend two hours. But I'm not looking forward to that time:D

Franchise
07-13-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm going to mod anyone and everyone who wants to lend a hand at that time. Of course I'm kidding, but it's going to be a mad house. I'm prepped for it.

moviestud87
07-13-2007, 10:51 PM
lol, im just going to keep my mouth shut. can not wait for it though.

DareDevil5016
07-13-2007, 11:34 PM
freak answer me this would you go see ti again and buy it on dvd when it comes out ?????

Khan
07-14-2007, 07:30 AM
A review is just one person's opinion to me, which has no impact in the long run.

AJ*
07-14-2007, 09:51 AM

I know the webmaster of the HalloweenSeries site. He really liked my Halloween video and asked my permission to put it up on his site a couple of years ago. I don't think he was biased against this film because he has actually tried to get me to warm up to this movie and has posted the following comments on my site the last few months leading up to this movie....

21 Mar 07, 11:08 "Now I know you said you weren't going to do anymore Halloween videos but I think the song Confessions of Hatred has the PERFECT lyrics for a Halloween video. It's my favorite song on the new album. Since you used two Korn songs for Jason I don't see why you couldn't do the same for Michael ;) Or better yet (and I know I'm pushing my luck here) but how about using it for Zombie's version of Halloween...if you end up liking it. Just a suggestion.

27 Feb 07, 10:35 "AJ when you get the audio file how about giving a link so I can hear it? Great news man. You deserve the recognition. Also I know you're not crazy about the new Halloween remake but have you seen the new picture of Michael yet? It is BAD ASS!! The mask is the best since the original. I'm crazy hyped over this film. Catch the fever man ;) "

Now I'm not sure if there's more than one webmaster on that site but that doesn't sound like a guy who was against this movie.

JAWS
07-14-2007, 10:29 AM
I was not all that pumped for this film when I first heard about it. The original is a classic and though I loved The Devil's Rejects I just saw no reason for this remake. After hearing what Rob Zombie has said and reading some of the reviews I like what I have been hearing. I like the direction the film seems to be going in. It sounds like a fresh take and not just a remake. I am now officially PUMPED!!

Todd
07-14-2007, 03:39 PM
I know the webmaster of the HalloweenSeries site. He really liked my Halloween video and asked my permission to put it up on his site a couple of years ago. I don't think he was biased against this film because he has actually tried to get me to warm up to this movie and has posted the following comments on my site the last few months leading up to this movie....

Now I'm not sure if there's more than one webmaster on that site but that doesn't sound like a guy who was against this movie.
Well, maybe I was wrong, but he made comments about wanting the series to go back where it left off with Ressurection.

The Dark Shape
07-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I think people misunderstand when they lash out at people who want something following up Halloween: Resurrection -- it's not that anybody wants a direct sequel, with webcasts and Busta Rhymes and Bianca Kajlich, but something set afterwards that's much better and closes out that series. It's kind of awful we sit through eight films and get that ending. I don't think many would complain if H20 was the last film in the 'main' series.

Todd
07-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I think people misunderstand when they lash out at people who want something following up Halloween: Resurrection.
I wasn't lashing out at the guy.
I just suggested the possibility that his desire for a sequel to the original series instead of a remake might have prejudiced his opinion of Zombies movie.

The Dark Shape
07-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I wasn't lashing out at the guy.
I just suggested the possibility that his desire for a sequel to the original series instead of a remake might have prejudiced his opinion of Zombies movie.

I know, Todd. I wasn't even directing that at you -- more like I used your comment as a jumping off point to address the issue as a whole.

Todd
07-14-2007, 04:50 PM
I know, Todd. I wasn't even directing that at you -- more like I used your comment as a jumping off point to address the issue as a whole.
It's all good.
I knew that a remake was inevitable, but I was looking forward to a good ending to the original series, too.
Like you said in your previous post, they should have had H20 be the final movie. That would have been the perfect way to end things before rebooting the franchise. It took me awhile to fully accept Ressurection as the finale, and Zombies new concepts of Michael initially caused me a bit of mental indigestion.
I'm fine with it now, but I do understand why some people might not be.
All I want is a good movie. Well, a little better than "good", perhaps. The early script reviews had me worried, but most of the reviews of the movie itself seem to be favorable. Rob Zombie isn't just a run of the mill director, however. I'm not saying he's great, but his films have an edginess to them that might not be what some halloween fans have come to expect.

FreakZILLA
07-14-2007, 07:03 PM
More questions answered:

- No chase scene for Judith, he gets her up in her bedroom.
- Lynda's death is very similar to the original, with Michael wearing the "ghost" costume with the glasses on over the sheet.
- Annie doesn't do any damage, but she is the one that you never actually see dead. After beating her up and choking her, Michael drags her to the middle of the living room and leaves her there, but she is still alive. She screams for Laurie to turn around when Laurie is on the phone calling the police. Annie does wind up being put into an ambulance while clinging to life.
- The Characters of Annie and Lynda are essentially the same as in the original, just slightly updated for 2007. Lynda doesn't go around saying "totally" every other word, but she still has that cheerful, flirty, somewhat hyper personality like she did in the original. I think Kristen did a good job with the role; nothing spectacular but nothing lacking either. Annie is still a take-no-crap kind of girl; and Danielle Harris nailed it in my opinion.

DareDevil, I will definitely go see it again when it releases, and I will absolutely buy it on DVD when it comes out.

Khan
07-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Since it is impossible not to compare it to the original, is is better?

Flash Over
07-14-2007, 07:37 PM
I dont think You saw my question freakZILLA so I'll repost it:

ok...um...how is the whole chase scene laid out? exactly WHY is Laurie in the police car(Im guessing it's because she found her friends dead a.k.a. Loomis came to the rescue) and..Does Michael actually say a setence (basically...."Boo" or "I love you. Boo") when grown up?

Chaosboy
07-14-2007, 07:42 PM
The original pales in comparison to this modern day masterpeice

Khan
07-14-2007, 07:43 PM

You must have been at the preview screening and didn't tell us. ;)

ColadaSplash
07-14-2007, 07:46 PM

Listen to this dude. He's 93 years old. Means this film is very versatile.

:krad:

Chaosboy
07-14-2007, 07:46 PM
You must have been at the preview screening and didn't tell us. ;)

no, I saw it on PBS. It was hosted by Betty White and Big Bird. I thought y'all knew!! sorry gang!

Khan
07-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Wasn't the heavily cut version on TBS last night?

ColadaSplash
07-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Has "The Devil's Rejects" ever played on tv yet?

I don't see the point. There would be nothing left.

Chaosboy
07-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Wasn't the heavily cut version on TBS last night?

yeah TBS cut it so bad that it ended up just being a commercial for the uncut version on PBS

Khan
07-14-2007, 07:51 PM

I haven't seen TDR on TV personally.

I am sure some specialty channel would air it uncut.

Here in Canada, Showcase would air it totally uncut.

Chaosboy
07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I haven't seen TDR on TV personally.

I am sure some specialty channel would air it uncut.

Here in Canada, Showcase would air it totally uncut.

yeah them Cancucks dont hold back nothin'!.....you outta see the french channel after midnight......Haaza!!

Khan
07-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Canadian TV is way more lenient.

I remember watching Romance X on Showcase, which has loads of real sex.

Monte
07-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Romance X on Showcase, which has loads of real sex.

Well at least someone is having it, I guess.

hOTKILLERsuNday
07-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Okay some questions for those who have seen the film.

1. What are the opening titles like? Thats if there arer any in this cut.
2. From the soundtrack listing we knoew of how well arfe the songs utilised and what is the rest of the score like? IE is the Halloween theme any different from the one realsed a year ago?
3 Is the ending/climax the one in the script? And what are the differences between the first cut and the more recent one?

Dark Empire
07-15-2007, 01:57 PM
3. There is a new ending ... go back and read some of the Spoiler posts and you will find it.

hOTKILLERsuNday
07-15-2007, 11:17 PM
3. There is a new ending ... go back and read some of the Spoiler posts and you will find it.

Okay but how does it differ from the original ending?

Myers Insurance
07-15-2007, 11:23 PM
The original ending was the adult Michael being unconscious and remembering from when he was a child.

The new ending is Laurie and Michael fighting with Laurie attempting to shoot Michael. The gun doesn't go off at first and as Michael grabs Laurie, the gun fires and the movie ends.

Asprin
07-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Question: I read about this "Rape" scene in other posts and am curious. It sounds like it was a major plot point explaining Mike's escape? If anyone can help it would be much needed.

If this is posted in the wrong place PLEASE forgive me.

Khan
07-16-2007, 06:21 AM
His escape has been completely reshot.

shoe1985
07-16-2007, 08:15 AM
It seems like the ending has been changed many times from the early and shooting drafts to the shooting of the actual movie. Rob better make sure he got it right this time, Dimension wants to get this movie released.

Todd 78
07-16-2007, 08:37 AM
It seems like the ending has been changed many times from the early and shooting drafts to the shooting of the actual movie. Rob better make sure he got it right this time, Dimension wants to get this movie released.

The wayDimension has been promoting it, I ain't so sure they want it released.

As far as the endings goes, this is very common practice. This isn't the first film that multiple endings shot.

I am sure half the people will love ithere. The other half half will hate it. :bastard:

Khan
07-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Probably to facilitate sequals.

wyatt s
07-16-2007, 08:43 AM
That or it just didn't test well, and they decided to alter it. Not in a H6 butcher job kind f a way, just in a "make it work better" kind of a way.

mattc_85
07-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Promotion usually has begun by now. I keep wondering when we will see a new trailer or tv spots.

Khan
07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
That or it just didn't test well, and they decided to alter it. Not in a H6 butcher job kind f a way, just in a "make it work better" kind of a way.

That is a good point.

From my point of view, they may have wanted to shoot an ending where a sequal was plausable instead of one like Jason Lives where you get some wacky reason (lightning) for the character being able to continue the killing spree.

wyatt s
07-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah that's probably got something to do with it. I'm sure Rob wants an ending that atleast for his movie probides some amount of closure but the studio certainly wants something that's not impossible to sequalize.

And on the topic of these early reviews, while I don't take them too too seriously because they aren't necessarly looking at the movie in a way I will when I see it, it is certainly good to see the a decent majority of them are on the positive side.

Khan
07-16-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't take any stock in them at all for the most part.

Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one.

wyatt s
07-16-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't take stock in them per se, I just think it's a fairly good sign that most of them seem to be positive. Granted, H:R got good reviews from some as well so there is a distinct possibility that the film could actually be terrible. I just like that it's not universally hated at this point.

Khan
07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
That is definately reassuring. but we don't know who these people are that are giving the good reviews.

They could be utter morons with horrible taste in movies.

The Kilted One
07-16-2007, 09:52 AM
That is definately reassuring. but we don't know who these people are who are giving the good reviews.

They could be utter morons with horrible taste in movies.

For all we know, these reviews could be written by Rob himself, posing as several different individuals...

But on a more serious note, as has been mentioned before, just look at the trailer. If you want to convince yourself that RZ's Halloween is not anywhere near an HR sittuation, just view both trailers. That, and take into account how much we already do know about the film. If we all had looked at it honestly, we would have had a very good idea that HR would suck, before even seeing the movie. Webcasts, Busta, you name it... I think it's reletively safe, at this point, to say that RZ's won't suck the big one (barring unforeseen catastrophic developments). With that in mind, I also say that it's jumping the gun to assume that this film will be excellent (or even good). I, personally, will wait to pass judgment untill August 31st.

AJ*
07-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Promotion usually has begun by now. I keep wondering when we will see a new trailer or tv spots.

I'm guessing you won't see any TV spots until about 2-3 weeks before the movie comes out. I'm not sure what some of you are expecting in terms of marketing but this movie isn't supposed to be some huge tentpole summer blockbuster film like Spider-man or Die Hard so it's not going to be heavily advertised weeks or months in advance. I'm sure Dimension is going to treat it like any other horror movie.

mattc_85
07-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm guessing you won't see any TV spots until about 2-3 weeks before the movie comes out. I'm not sure what some of you are expecting in terms of marketing but this movie isn't supposed to be some huge tentpole summer blockbuster film like Spider-man or Die Hard so it's not going to be heavily advertised weeks or months in advance. I'm sure Dimension is going to treat it like any other horror movie.

True, but with a little over a month until the release you would expect a little more. At least another trailer and some posters in some theaters. I have yet to see a poster for this movie at any theater that I go to. Even the smaller movies have one of these by now.

Khan
07-16-2007, 10:39 AM
This is essentially a low budget horror film, and a remake at that, so as another poster said, it won't get a ton of promotion.

mattc_85
07-16-2007, 10:45 AM
I may be wrong, but didn't the TCM remake have a far lower budget than Halloween? I can remember seeing tons of pre-release marketing for that film.

Khan
07-16-2007, 10:56 AM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tcm03.htm

Production Budget: $9.5 million

The site gives no information on Halloween.

mattc_85
07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't know if it's true but I have read that the budget was estimated at $20 million, that seems a little high to me.
Back to the topic though, the reviews have made me feel somewhat better about the movie. I don't usually put that much into reviews but I was anxious to read them for this film. The only bad thing is that the reviews confirmed that the suspense would be lacking this time around but I had suspected that all along.

ColadaSplash
07-16-2007, 01:55 PM

I expect this to be marketed on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake/H20/Amityville Remake/Freddy vs. Jason level.

It's an event film, and on the same level, those films were.

I don't expect blockbuster marketing, but I expect a little more marketing than the average horror film. All above films were marketed above the average level. Granted, people are expecting too much... They seriously expect Spiderman-like promotion which is ridiculous. Tv campaigns, etc., wont start until several weeks before the release. Seriously people... not even "The Simpsons" spots played 6 weeks before release.

---------------

There were two budget estimates displayed at different points: $15 million/$20 million. Supposedly, it's $15 million, but I can't verify it.

EvilOnTwoLegs
07-16-2007, 02:15 PM

I don't think so. Strange things happen, though. I remember once my girlfriend told me that Less Than Zero had been on TBS, and I was shocked. I figured that once they cut out all the sex, drugs, etc., it would be about ten minutes long and completely incomprehensible.

Reminds me of Bruce Campbells talking about how back int he '80s, they cut Evil Dead 2 for broadcast...they have yet to air this version on television. haha He said the edited version was actually more disturbing because they cut out the over-the-top cartoonish violence (which made the whole thing funny) and focused everything on Ash's horrified reactions. :crazy:

ColadaSplash
07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
For all we know, these reviews could be written by Rob himself, posing as several different individuals...

I highly doubt this. I see what you're saying (and if it were someone else, I might say it's possible), but I highly, highly doubt it in this situation.

Why?

Rob's writing is generally full of grammatical/spelling errors, and he is, in general, not a good writer at all -- not technically. Writing is not the guy's specialty (check out the guy's scripts and personally written blogs)... The man may have talents, but writing is not one of them.

Yes, some reviews could very well be studio plants, but there's no way to guarantee that. It's impossible to prove/disprove unless some news leaks on it.

You're right: It's true that studio plants do exist for many films. They existed for Jason X due to the major pushback problems with that film.

However, this film is actually in an odd situation: It's actually some of the negative reviews that are getting discredited due to disgruntled John Carpenter fans writing pure dribble -- they never saw the movie. My favorite part: the fan in question becoming slightly confused when they're called out on it; consequently, quickly trying to cover their tracks with half-baked excuses such as "bathroom breaks" and "soda refills." It's really kind of pathetic. Seriously now... It's laughable.

Khan
07-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Seriously people... not even "The Simpsons" spots played 6 weeks before release.

The Simpsons is way more of a household name then Halloween, so all it needs is the buzz to keep interest.

Todd
07-16-2007, 03:46 PM
The Simpsons is way more of a household name then Halloween, so all it needs is the buzz to keep interest.
There's one thing we agree on.
Some movies don't need as much promotion as others.
The Simpson movie is pretty much pre-sold to a large segment of the movie going population.
Rob Zombies Halloween?
Not so much.
When it comes to the box office, horror movies miss as often as they hit, whereas most animated movies do well.

scoob
07-16-2007, 04:44 PM
However, this film is actually in an odd situation: It's actually some of the negative reviews that are getting discredited due to disgruntled John Carpenter fans writing pure dribble -- they never saw the movie. My favorite part: the fan in question becoming slightly confused when they're called out on it; consequently, quickly trying to cover their tracks with half-baked excuses such as "bathroom breaks" and "soda refills." It's really kind of pathetic. Seriously now... It's laughable.

I agree with you on this. A lot of the more critical reviews seem to want to hate it and keep comparing it to the original. That is fair enough - it is a remake at the end of the day - but it's harsh. It seems this film is just going to be dogged by comparisons and it's just not realistic to square them both up. Its thirty years later and things have to change.

I wil go in an attempt to watch it as one-off and try as hard as possible to distance the previous series when I see it. Plus, I take every review from a test screening very lightly as Im sure things are still being changed which is probably why promotion has been low key.

Khan
07-16-2007, 04:45 PM
When it comes to the box office, horror movies miss as often as they hit, whereas most animated movies do well.

Captivity is the latest horror film to under perform, earning only $5 million on it's opening weekend internationally.

Monte
07-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Captivity is the latest horror film to under perform, earning only $5 million on it's opening weekend internationally.

Five million? That actually doesn't seem all that bad, considering that movie is apparently playing in like, what, three theaters?

Khan
07-16-2007, 05:06 PM
It is playing in over 1000 theaters.

Monte
07-16-2007, 05:10 PM
And in Hollywood speak that's about three theaters. Kind of like how $100 in profits equals $1 when your movies have the budgets of Spider Man and Johnny Depp: Crazy Pirate Dude

Khan
07-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Borat was initially in a mere 1700 theaters when it opened, but with it's success, more were added.

POTC 3 was in over 4300 theaters initially, so I see what you mean.

FreakZILLA
07-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Sorry I missed that question, here you go:

- I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for with the "how was the chase layed out" question. Laurie was in the police car because Loomis stole the car to get from the Wallace house (where they found Annie and Paul) to the Myers house, where Michael took Laurie. Once he saved Laurie from the pool, they both got in the police car. Michael does not say anything as an adult.

scoob
07-16-2007, 06:25 PM
hi FreakZILLA - have a couple of questions if you wouldnt mind.

1. How does Michael get to Haddonfield?
2. In the scene where he is beating up Annie, he does this how? Just throwing her about or does he actually give her a whack?
3. Did you notice many Halloween decorations - just to keep the mood set? Or was it similar to H8 where the odd pumpkin was shown once and that was it.
4. Was the dialouge vulgar or was it used to actual effect? Pointless or just saying fuck for the sake of saying it?
5. What was the teenagers dialouge like? Was it all about sex or?
6. How was the cinematography? Did you pick up on certain scenes that you thought - that looks great. Just simple stuff like the still where we have seen Michael in the background in a dark street.

Thanks!

Cheers!

shoe1985
07-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I am sure half the people will love ithere. The other half half will hate it. :bastard:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

From all indications, it has been Rob who has had any problems with the ending. Dimension wants it to setup a sequel, but you can make a sequel to anything. Rob wants to make everything work, one reason he went back to shoot more material. The only thing I have heard that Dimension is worried about is the lack of suspense. They love how it plays out as a movie, but considering how much the original was built on suspense, this doesn't have that as much.

mattc_85
07-16-2007, 06:36 PM
The only thing I have heard that Dimension is worried about is the lack of suspense. They love how it plays out as a movie, but considering how much the original was built on suspense, this doesn't have that as much.

Fingers crossed for more suspense

Khan
07-16-2007, 06:37 PM
It is too late for massive reshoots, isn't it?

Then again, they could just re-edit the whole movie.

Monte
07-16-2007, 06:37 PM
If Rob ended the movie with a title card saying "and Michael was never seen again, ever ever ever, times infinity" would they be able to make a sequel to that?

Khan
07-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Infinity would change it's mind.

scoob
07-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Im sure they would just add same title card with " Until now" - cue Halloween theme.

MichaelMyers04
07-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Im sure they would just add same title card with " Until now" - cue Halloween theme.

Hahahahaha, honestly, I can see them doing that:nodsmile:

ColadaSplash
07-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Supposedly, no one has heard the final soundtrack yet. Well, some guy over at DVDtalk is stating this anyway...

I didn't see this film, so I don't know if that's true.

However, music helps generate the suspense. It's not the only thing, but it plays a big part.

What was the number one Halloween '78 problem: This film isn't scary; there's no suspense. That's exactly what people stated when seeing it early. Then they added the music which completely shifted every scene.

So, the music could make a big difference in how this film feels. That's why I think test screenings should screen with the final soundtracks. It's a more accurate represention. I think straight horror needs to actually use "scary" music too (whatever that means anymore), not all this hip nonsense to cater to Jack and Jill.

An example: Several who saw "Freddy vs. Jason" early mentioned they enjoyed the soundtrack on their early screenings better -- it supposedly focused on Friday the 13th/Elm Street themes.

That's another reason why I don't think all these different soundtracks are a good idea. It changes the tone -- sometimes drastically.

shoe1985
07-17-2007, 03:17 AM
If Rob ended the movie with a title card saying "and Michael was never seen again, ever ever ever, times infinity" would they be able to make a sequel to that?

They would find a way. Look at how many times Jason died in Friday the 13th movies. There is no way they could bring him back, yet, money came flying in, and another sequel was made.

Supposedly, no one has heard the final soundtrack yet. Well, some guy over at DVDtalk is stating this anyway...

I didn't see this film, so I don't know if that's true.

However, music helps generate the suspense. It's not the only thing, but it plays a big part.

What was the number one Halloween '78 problem: This film isn't scary; there's no suspense. That's exactly what people stated when seeing it early. Then they added the music which completely shifted every scene.

So, the music could make a big difference in how this film feels. That's why I think test screenings should screen with the final soundtracks. It's a more accurate represention. I think straight horror needs to actually use "scary" music too (whatever that means anymore), not all this hip nonsense to cater to Jack and Jill.

An example: Several who saw "Freddy vs. Jason" early mentioned they enjoyed the soundtrack on their early screenings better -- it supposedly focused on Friday the 13th/Elm Street themes.

That's another reason why I don't think all these different soundtracks are a good idea. It changes the tone -- sometimes drastically.

The soundtrack should be done or close to be doing done. I have a feeling this will be like the Planet of the Apes, where Burton was editing it close to the release date, and still needed more time, but the studio said no.

Khan
07-17-2007, 05:10 AM
The soundtrack should be done or close to be doing done. I have a feeling this will be like the Planet of the Apes, where Burton was editing it close to the release date, and still needed more time, but the studio said no.

So in that case, Rob would only get his true vision shown on DVD.

Flash Over
07-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Sorry I missed that question, here you go:

- I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for with the "how was the chase layed out" question. Laurie was in the police car because Loomis stole the car to get from the Wallace house (where they found Annie and Paul) to the Myers house, where Michael took Laurie. Once he saved Laurie from the pool, they both got in the police car. Michael does not say anything as an adult.

Ok thanks!!

When I said "Layed Out" I meant exactly how it all happened....the whole chase sequence/ how she ended up in the pool...from when Michael grabs her in the car to the end basically xD but if you cant remember then thats fine/I can wait ^_^

shoe1985
07-17-2007, 02:15 PM
So in that case, Rob would only get his true vision shown on DVD.

Maybe, maybe not. There is still a lot of time to get it done. From the sounds of it, it is only minor tweaking left to do.

Bogatyri
07-18-2007, 10:36 PM

How many Friday the 13ths do we have?¿?

My point exactly.

As long as it makes a profit, there will always be a sequel. Hopefully, the Halloween franchise will keep up the getting "horror" directors to make future films, and not resort to the old ways of Rapper cameos and sub par plot lines.

Nightmare13
07-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Hopefully, the Halloween franchise will keep up the getting "horror" directors to make future films, and not resort to the old ways of Rapper cameos and sub par plot lines.

Maybe Darren Lynn Bousman and Eli Roth? :bastard:

FreakZILLA
07-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Shuyin, the exact details of how that scene was laid out have mostly slipped away, but here is a basic layout:

Michael brings Laurie to the Myers house. Laurie finds Linda dead. Michael corners Laurie, but puts his knife down and takes off his mask. He shows her a photo of them as children. Laurie grabs the knife and stabs him in the shoulder, and starts running. Michael chases her through the house, and she finds her way outside. She struggles to get through a locked gate, and finally makes it out, only to stumble into the empty pool.

JP
07-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey guys...

I saw that a few posters were wondering if we're still editing... but the truth is:

Halloween is locked.

August 31st isn't too far away!

scoob
07-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Great news, good to hear it!

Monte
07-20-2007, 05:31 PM
So it's all set? Music and color timing and prints and everything? Holy shit, was this the least troublesome Halloween to make or what? That's honestly shocking.

Man In Black
07-21-2007, 07:10 AM
Another review:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33403

Another middle of the road review - but he says of the people who stayed behind afterwards, he probably was the one who was the least impressed. The talkbacks are hilarious though - they rip on the guy because he fell asleep during the original and uses the term "kills dead animals":D

Todd
07-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Another review:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33403

Another middle of the road review - but he says of the people who stayed behind afterwards, he probably was the one who was the least impressed. The talkbacks are hilarious though - they rip on the guy because he fell asleep during the original and uses the term "kills dead animals":D
Anyone who admits they fell asleep while watching the original has no business reviewing this new version. At least he admitted that a lot of people in the audience liked it.

Khan
07-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Not exactly the best writer, but it is good to see someone who isn't a rabid fan of Zombie or Halloween review it.

SLAB
07-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Not exactly the best writer, but it is good to see someone who isn't a rabid fan of Zombie or Halloween review it.

I tend to agree, it's probably one of the more objective reviews you'd get. I had to shake my head at people tearing him a new one in talkback because he's not a fan of the original. Guy went to see a movie, wrote what he thought.

Easy enough. :)

Todd
07-21-2007, 08:29 AM
So you think that those who have given the movie positive reviews are all fans of Rob Zombie or of the Halloween franchise?
I have no problem with someone who is neutral reviewing this movie, but since this guy admits that he fell asleep while watching one of the greatest horror films of all time, it's hard for me to take his critique that seriously.

I tend to agree, it's probably one of the more objective reviews you'd get. I had to shake my head at people tearing him a new one in talkback because he's not a fan of the original. Guy went to see a movie, wrote what he thought.

Easy enough. :)
Okay, but my mother isn't a fan of Rob Zombie or of the Halloween franchise, but I can assure you that her review of this movie wouldn't be objective. I doubt she would have anything good to say about it regardless of its quality.

Khan
07-21-2007, 08:33 AM
So you think that those who have given the movie positive reviews are all fans of Rob Zombie or of the Halloween franchise?

No, but this is the first review I have seen where the person wasn't a big Halloween and/or Rob Zombie fan, so it was a different look at the movie.

This group of people is a good sized part of the target audience for the film.

wyatt s
07-21-2007, 08:48 AM
No, but this is the first review I have seen where the person wasn't a big Halloween and/or Rob Zombie fan, so it was a different look at the movie.

Oh C'mon! We all know the target audience for this film is and has always been Halloween fans. Nobody else! What you're trying to say is simply rediculous.

:bastard:

Todd
07-21-2007, 11:35 AM

I am very aware that the target audience will be the casual movie goers and not only people like us. I'm just not going to get overly concerned by a critical review from someone who admits he fell asleep while watching the original. I'll have to look at some of the other reviews, but I don't recall any of them saying that they were rabid fans of Rob Zombie or of the Halloween movies. I might be wrong about that, though. I do remember one of the positive reviews coming from someone who said he had expected the movie to suck, though.

Khan
07-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Some of the reviews were by people who were fans of the original and I believe some of them were by people who were somewhat into Zombie's films, but none so far have been anywhere near "rabid" fans.

Gringo Loco
07-21-2007, 11:42 AM
I think one reviewer even went by the name of Captain Spaulding if that tells you anything.

Khan
07-21-2007, 11:52 AM
You are correct.

They will obviously praise anything Zombie does.

ColadaSplash
07-21-2007, 11:57 AM
The Captain Spalding review was the really bloated one. Basically, it made this sound like the best horror film in the last decade.

I'd love that to actually be true, but...

Khan
07-21-2007, 11:59 AM
It went something like this:

Liek OMG!!!!!1111 I loooooove anithing Zoombie does and this kickz azz!!!111:roflmao:

Gringo Loco
07-21-2007, 12:01 PM
lol..

Todd
07-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Some of the reviews were by people who were fans of the original and I believe some of them were by people who were somewhat into Zombie's films, but none so far have been anywhere near "rabid" fans.
Well, you're the one who said he was glad to see the movie reviewed by someone who wasn't a "rabid" fan of Rob Zombie. It seemed like you were implying that anyone who gave a positive review of this movie must have a tatoo of Rob Zombie on their arm. None of the reviews I read were from people who claimed to be fans of his. One guy who gave it a positive review said that he didn't like Zombies first movies. I'll agree that it's good to read a review by someone who is neutral. I'm just not sure that this guy was the best man for the job. If people who were fans of the original actually like Zombies version, that's a pretty good sign, no?

ColadaSplash
07-21-2007, 12:34 PM
One guy who gave it a positive review said that he didn't like Zombies first movies.

Well, that's true. I remember that one too.

It will make me feel better if Freakzilla isn't a plant because Freakzilla likes the movies I do. It was just strange that the person hasn't had a single post since '04 and then all of a sudden posts again, out of the blue, promoting this film.

Could be JP's old screenname for all we know.

I'm sure that will be taken out of context so... I'm not saying it is, just that we never know because we are online.

Khan
07-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I'll agree that it's good to read a review by someone who is neutral. I'm just not sure that this guy was the best man for the job. If people who were fans of the original actually like Zombies version, that's a pretty good sign, no?

This person wasn't the best at getting their feelings down on paper, but I can understand what he was trying to get across.

It is certainly good that a few moderate fans of the original aren't totally let down by it.

Roswell
07-21-2007, 12:44 PM
It will make me feel better if Freakzilla isn't a plant because they like the movies I do. It was just strange that the person hasn't had a single post since '04 and then all of a sudden posts again, out of the blue, promoting this film.

Could be JP's old nickname for all we know.

Wouldn't it be more suspicious if the person just joined instead of being a member since 2004? Just a thought.

Flash Over
07-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Shuyin, the exact details of how that scene was laid out have mostly slipped away, but here is a basic layout:

Michael brings Laurie to the Myers house. Laurie finds Linda dead. Michael corners Laurie, but puts his knife down and takes off his mask. He shows her a photo of them as children. Laurie grabs the knife and stabs him in the shoulder, and starts running. Michael chases her through the house, and she finds her way outside. She struggles to get through a locked gate, and finally makes it out, only to stumble into the empty pool.

KK thats exactly what I wanted to know thanks!!!

Patrick1679
07-21-2007, 06:33 PM
For anyone that has seen the advanced screening, do we hear Michael breathing in the background in this one?

FreakZILLA
07-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Not a studio plant, just a fan. I was somewhat active back toward the end of the old UHMB, but around the time everything switched to the new OHMB I kinda stepped away for a while. I figured seeing the screening of the new film would be a great way to return to the boards.

Patrick, I don't remember hearing any of Michael breathing, but it could just be that I didn't notice.

shoe1985
07-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Not a studio plant, just a fan. I was somewhat active back toward the end of the old UHMB, but around the time everything switched to the new OHMB I kinda stepped away for a while. I figured seeing the screening of the new film would be a great way to return to the boards.

I remember your screenname from back in the day. Not sure if you remember me?

ColadaSplash
07-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Wouldn't it be more suspicious if the person just joined instead of being a member since 2004? Just a thought.

A plant who both criticizes and publicizes the film?

I certainly wouldn't be a very good one -- either way -- for the film or against it. Try again little man.

I might work in the business, I might not. One thing I can assure you: it's certainly not as a plant -- I'd be too up the ladder at this point. One thing I can guarantee you: Plants actually do exist and it's naive to think that they don't. Very naive...

Gringo Loco
07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
A plant who both criticizes and publicizes the film?

I certainly wouldn't be a very good one -- either way -- for the film or against it. Try again little man.

I might work in the business, I might not. One thing I can assure you: it's certainly not as a plant -- I'd be too up the ladder at this point. One thing I can guarantee you: Plants actually do exist and it's naive to think that they don't. Very naive...

I think they are talking about Freakzilla.

ColadaSplash
07-22-2007, 07:51 PM
I think they are talking about Freakzilla.

Your mostly right. Mark was talking directly to me 'cause Mark doesn't like me. I could personally care less. However, he tends to pick apart things I say, and only takes what he wants to hear from it; consequently, leaving 60% of what I was really saying behind. Trust me! I've been there already. It's alright though -- that's his choice and he can do as he pleases. I don't hate him; I don't even know him. Maybe when he's a little older and gets through college, film school, or whatever his plans are, he'll understand a little more about life and difference of opinions. I wish him the best success.

--------------

In addition, one more thing about those plants from my previous post: I don't specificially mean plants on this particular film -- there could very well be none. I just mean plants, in the business, in general. They do actually exist -- for films and against them. Yes, it actually works both ways. Writers do get paid to write plants, and some of them are very, very good at it. Some, for major studios, are elite college graduates afterall. The best plants (what I consider the best) generally have a miraculous ability: They don't really overbloat a film, they're quite subtle, and they can fit in just as easily as anyone else. They're basically your neighbor or friend who slowly builds up the promotion in their writing. It's a lure... and you're the fish... They'll go along with you, ask cutsy questions, laugh, and even agree with you against certain things early on... A predator basically.

If I were a plant, that's how I'd play the game. And I certainly wouldn't tell you this.

Of course, there are also the "overly bloated planters" too: they tend to liven up the world, claim their film can cure cancer (not literally), and make the film sound like the best thing invented since "stuffed crust cheese pizza," the "Coco Cabana Splitz," or whatever else... I consider them pretty weak in their craft personally. I understand how they operate and can easily catch them. Too obvious! However, others (depending on the person) fall easily into this.

For instance, someone once im-ed me calling me a Death Sentence plant. Although, if that were true, why would I be offering my advice towards Halloween's marketing campaign? Wouldn't I be trying to get Halloween out of the August 31st spot, not keep it there? I've stated several times before why I think moving it near Saw 4 is a drastic mistake. I also think it's a mistake moving this film, at all, after the date has been promoted countrywide for months. Do you see what I mean? People will just take what they want to hear, and nothing else.

Basically, if I were a Death Sentence plant, I would want Halloween moved to compete with Saw 4 -- because I wouldn't care about Halloween. I would only care about securing Death Sentence's number 1 spot -- at any cost. That would be my job.

What it all boils down to is the following: certain people just don't like that I criticized young Mikey's "Kiss" T-shirt, the excessive long hair usage on the male characters (from what I've seen), or whatever other thing I criticized. I'm sorry, but I think the "Kiss" T-shirt was beyond ridiculous for this specific character (Michael Myers) when I first saw it, and I still think so. I'm sure some of you other guys, who grew up with this once "scary" character (one that might have given some of us nightmares), thought the same thing.

It's alright though: I'm prepared for what I might hear, and I'm also prepared to back it up. This is nothing more than "child's play" really -- no pun intended. :winkgrin:

Like it or not, I really do care about Myers, this series, and the success of this film. I just want the best for it -- I don't want 6th rate quality hand-me-downs anymore. I'm sure many of you, particularly those who enjoyed the early films, probably feel the same way. The rest of you can believe it... or not... That's up to you. You're entitled to that and I respect your opinion.

FreakZILLA
07-22-2007, 10:12 PM
I remember your screenname from back in the day. Not sure if you remember me?

I do remember you actually; one of the few names I recognize from back then! I haven't seen too many people from back in the day since I've been back to the boards, but that could be because I've pretty much just been in the RZ HALLOWEEN area lately.

The Frightmaster
07-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Of course, there are also the "overly bloated planters" too: they make the film sound like the best thing invented since "stuffed crust cheese pizza,"

I love stuffed crust Pizza..........just trying to lighten the mood in this thread.

brain eater
07-23-2007, 08:46 AM
I love stuffed crust Pizza..........just trying to lighten the mood in this thread.

Stuffed crust pizza sounds good right now. :drool:

The Frightmaster
07-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Stuffed crust pizza sounds good right now. :drool:

I could go for a stuffed crust pepperoni and sausage pizza about now. :nodsmile:

JP
07-23-2007, 04:35 PM
So it's all set? Music and color timing and prints and everything? Holy shit, was this the least troublesome Halloween to make or what? That's honestly shocking.

That stuff is still being worked on... You lock the picture so music, sound and color timing can happen. There will be no more changes to the movie, from a cut/version standpoint.

Everything is going pretty damn smooth! *Knock on wood*

Khan
07-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Why did Zombie shoot a more open ending then the previously one?

Was it so that a sequal could be made?

In a recent interview, he said he didn't care about restarting a franchise.

FreakZILLA
07-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Maybe he felt that a more open ending that leaves room for speculation worked better than a closed end. I personally prefer it when horror movies end with you feeling somewhat unsure as to the ultimate outcome.

Or maybe it was a studio mandate.

JP
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Can't get into those kinds of specifics.... but are you sure this ending is more open ended? Some may argue that point.

Khan
07-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Well, according to these recent test screenings,

it doesn't say if he lives or dies, so the studio could get the sequal machine going.

Shamrock-Robot
07-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, according to these recent test screenings,

it doesn't say if he lives or dies, so the studio could get the sequal machine going.

From what Ive heard the new ending is actually pretty closed.

Khan
07-24-2007, 03:45 AM
They can make a sequal out of anything though.

Shamrock-Robot
07-24-2007, 05:03 AM
I know, Michael could be blown to bits by a rocket and they would still figure out something, Damn studios.