PDA

View Full Version : Watching JC's Halloween Before You See RZ's

MyersFan75
06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I am planning on turning the lights down low, blasting the surround sound, and popping in my 25th anniversary edition Halloween DVD on the night of August 30th before I see Rob Zombie's version the next day. Or possibly at midnight...! :nodsmile:

I don't mean to say I will be comparing the two, because I know many here have been saying this will be an entirely different film, and RZ himself has stated this. He also mentioned, however, that certain parts will feel so familiar and classic.

So, basically, who will watch the original one last time before going and seeing the remake?

Not so much for comparing the two, but mostly to get into the Halloween spirit and go into the remake with an open mind.

Scoot
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
I will probably come home from RZ's version and watch JC's version...

if that makes sense..

MyersFan75
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I will probably come home from RZ's version and watch JC's version...

if that makes sense..

Yeah, it makes sense. :nodsmile:

EDIT: But you voted choice number one, but in your post you said you want to see RZ's version, and then watch JC's. Poll number three gives that option.

mr32
06-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I dont know i might, shit i watch it every weekend. My gf be tripping about i cant help.

Roswell
06-07-2007, 03:59 AM
I'll probably watch it after I see the remake since I want to go into the film with a clear mind.

MM41
06-07-2007, 04:10 AM
I do not want to see the original before I see this movie. It would make no sense because this is a different way and direction the series is going in. I've seen the original so many times, I know what will be similar in RZ's version. Everyone knows there will be similar scenes.

Psych0ticNemes1s
06-07-2007, 04:37 AM
I'll probably watch it after I see the remake since I want to go into the film with a clear mind.

Good point, however we have all seen the original so many times that when we watch the remake, we will be referencing the original in our minds unintentually...

I will watch RZ's on the 31st and then the original on Halloween. In my opinion, waiting all year to watch the original makes it that more special/ surreal.

halo thirty one
06-07-2007, 06:00 AM
I only watch Halloween on Halloween night, so I voted no, but not because I didn't want to be comparing the two. I have seen the original enough that I wouldn't need to watch it right before the new one. Comparing the two is inevitable, whether I watch them both on the same day or 6 months apart.

mcilroga
06-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I watch the original most Halloween's, so I don't think that will be changing this year.

I know the original like the back of my hand, and most others do as well. But going in with a completely clear mind? Absolutely impossible. You'll be comparing this remake to the original, and you know it. So how did McDowell shape up when compared to Pleasance? If there's a similar scene to that in the first one, you will be thinking just of that film. Being such dedicated fans, I don't think you physically can not remind yourself of the original... especially when the theme music starts playing.

MichaelMyers04
06-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Well, I'm going to start watching the series, from the beginning, leading up till Aug. 31. I'm going to start with H1, on Aug. 23, then H2 the next day.....all the way until HR on the 30. On the 31, it's HalloweeN all over again :D

Scoot
06-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Yeah, it makes sense. :nodsmile:

EDIT: But you voted choice number one, but in your post you said you want to see RZ's version, and then watch JC's. Poll number three gives that option.

Not true!
i just voted the proper catagory now...;)

Silverpsycho
06-08-2007, 12:40 AM
I plan on watching all the HalloweeN movies right before RZ's version of HalloweeN hits the theatre. I won't be comparing the original to the new version at all. This is just one way for me to get psyched about the whole thing.:nodsmile:

wyatt s
06-08-2007, 01:04 AM
I suspect that I'll probably watch the original halloween, and perhaps H2 but that's not a definate, right before going out to see the remake. And when I say right before I really do mean starting the film about 2 hours or so before heading out to see the remake. This is exactly what I did when I went to see Rocky Balboa and that worked out well for me so maybe I'll make it a tradition with sequels and the like who knows. Besides I watch the original Halloween roughly once a week anyway so it's not as if it'll be completely out of the ordinary for me.

Laow-Z
06-08-2007, 05:15 AM
I know the original like the back of my hand, and most others do as well. But going in with a completely clear mind? Absolutely impossible. You'll be comparing this remake to the original, and you know it. So how did McDowell shape up when compared to Pleasance? If there's a similar scene to that in the first one, you will be thinking just of that film. Being such dedicated fans, I don't think you physically can not remind yourself of the original... especially when the theme music starts playing.

I 100% agree. I know I will be comparing RZ's to Carpenters. I'll be looking for similarities and nods to the original, it's just natural to do so...however.....I do realise that this is a different version and we are told that so if and when i see similiar scenes to the original I won't get all pissy for the slight differences.

Kildo
06-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Here's a novel idea. I think I will wait till october 31st to watch the original in the privacy of my own home, by which time I will have forgotten about rob zombies summer blockbuster 'remake' because I would not have wasted 10$ on it. Instead I will use that 10$ to purchase Halloween II at my local FYE while equally forgetting about every other sequel that was spawned from these two amazing films. But that's just an idea.

Kildo
06-10-2007, 01:11 AM
I 100% agree. I know I will be comparing RZ's to Carpenters. I'll be looking for similarities and nods to the original, it's just natural to do so...however.....I do realise that this is a different version and we are told that so if and when i see similiar scenes to the original I won't get all pissy for the slight differences.

Right, why get 'pissy' over that when you can get 'pissy' over the fact that you wasted 10$ on another tired 'shock' and 'gore' film with the Halloween label slapped across its face?

mcilroga
06-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Here's a novel idea. I think I will wait till october 31st to watch the original in the privacy of my own home, by which time I will have forgotten about rob zombies summer blockbuster 'remake' because I would not have wasted 10$ on it. Instead I will use that 10$ to purchase Halloween II at my local FYE while equally forgetting about every other sequel that was spawned from these two amazing films. But that's just an idea.

Right, why get 'pissy' over that when you can get 'pissy' over the fact that you wasted 10$ on another tired 'shock' and 'gore' film with the Halloween label slapped across its face?

Welcome to the boards, you're pretty outspoken for a newcomer. Truth is, most people on here are either a) supportive or b) neutral about the remake, so you'll fit in with people like Inhumane and TheTerminator (but he's banned now, so...) Don't worry, you'll get to speak in flawed Swedish in no time!

Frazetta
06-10-2007, 09:19 AM
I have the whole week already planned out. Halloween & Halloween 2, the 25 years of Terror dvd & House of a 1000 Corpses & the Devil's Rejects are all on my dvd list that week.

The Frightmaster
06-10-2007, 09:22 AM
you can get 'pissy' over the fact that you wasted 10$ on another tired 'shock' and 'gore' film with the Halloween label slapped across its face?

Well how do you know it's gonna be a tired shock and gore film when it hasn't even been released yet. Why judge it before it even comes out. Give the movie a chance.:nodsmile:

But anyway back to the question. I'm either gonna watch JC's halloween before or after RZ's halloween.

Kildo
06-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the boards, you're pretty outspoken for a newcomer.

I'm only a 'newcomer' to this message board, not to life in general. So i'm not going to act naive around people just because I don't know them yet. And I don't give a shit if I get banned from this or any other message board. They are all insignificant and inconsequential to my state of being. But while i'm here I may as well have fun saying how I feel. btw you can't ban people in real life so get over your word sensitivity.

Kildo
06-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Well how do you know it's gonna be a tired shock and gore film when it hasn't even been released yet. Why judge it before it even comes out. Give the movie a chance.:nodsmile:

You'll see how crappy it is soon enough.

The Frightmaster
06-10-2007, 10:46 AM
You'll see how crappy it is soon enough.

Well unless you've seen it already, nobody including myself has the right to judge the movie before it even comes out.

The Kilted One
06-10-2007, 05:29 PM
[Let's get back on topic] I'll probably pop in the 25th Anniversary addition the night before, or the day of. Honestly though, I'm sure that my sittuation is no different than most of the folks here... I've seen it soooo many dozens of times that watching it right before watching the remake is not going to make the film any more fresh in my mind than it always is- therefore, I'm not worrying about it messing up my "this is a re-envisioning, not a remake" mentality... that was a lot of rambling, sorry:)

MetroidSA-X
06-10-2007, 05:34 PM
I'll probably end up watching the original on a whim out of my excitement for the remake.

Well, I'm going to start watching the series, from the beginning, leading up till Aug. 31. I'm going to start with H1, on Aug. 23, then H2 the next day.....all the way until HR on the 30. On the 31, it's HalloweeN all over again :D I don't think that's too smart, the crappiness of HR may just kill any excitement you have for the remake.

The Kilted One
06-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't think that's too smart, the crappiness of HR may just kill any excitement you have for the remake.

Well said! :roflmao:

MichaelMyers04
06-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I'll probably end up watching the original on a whim out of my excitement for the remake.

I don't think that's too smart, the crappiness of HR may just kill any excitement you have for the remake.

That's true, OR I might just appreciate RZ's HalloweeN a hella lot more ;) I mean, if I watch the original right before it, then I might feel as if the new one came up short (I won't, though, I'm just trying to make a point). But if I watch HR right before, I know I'm gonna love this movie once I see it ignoring the crap AKA Resurrection......

It's risky, but I wanna watch the whole the series before this one (and to me, HR is included in the series....)

MyersFan927
06-10-2007, 07:42 PM
It won't make a difference for me either way. I know the original like the back of my hand, and since the remake will be so much different, it'll be like seeing an entirely different movie - having the impulse to compare them in the theater probably won't cross me much if at all. If they were closer together I would consider it.

I probably will compare McDowell to Pleasence a couple of times, though. Nobody can replace Donald and it might irritate me personally to see another Loomis.

MyersFan75
06-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Some really interesting replies in here.

Personally, I'll most likely end up comparing certain things to the original. I do this with just about anything, and I think it's a reason for my fascination with remakes. I love to compare and contrast differences and similarities; and I'll most likely be comparing McDowell to Pleasence as well. It's kind of, impossible, not to.

The Frightmaster
06-11-2007, 09:20 AM
I just know that I'm gonna compare the characters like Annie, Lynda, Laurie, and Loomis. Who played the parts better is what I'll be thinking.

Laow-Z
06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
So i'm not going to act naive around people just because I don't know them yet. And I don't give a shit if I get banned from this or any other message board. They are all insignificant and inconsequential to my state of being. But while i'm here I may as well have fun saying how I feel. btw you can't ban people in real life so get over your word sensitivity.

You don't have to act naive around here but i wouldn't come in here with the "don't give a shit" about anything or anyone and say what I want attitude. I can't ban people in real life but I can here. Just have fun give good debates about the pros and cons if you want and just respect others opinions like you would want them to do to you.

InTheDeep2007
06-12-2007, 05:46 AM
I plan on watching it after I see the remake, because after I see a remake before or after I've seen the original, I ALWAYS compare the two.

slasher2040
06-13-2007, 10:05 AM
why would ya want to compare them, it's pointless, but I think RZ can't do it like JC.

wyatt s
06-14-2007, 01:20 PM
why would ya want to compare them, it's pointless, but I think RZ can't do it like JC.

though I don't think it's necessarilly fair to Rob or his movie to compare the two films, I do tend to agree with somebody's previous post that said something to the effect that it's kind of impossible not to.

Khan
06-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Exactly.

horrorfreak123
06-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I know I will watch it, just because I will need something to tide me over until August 31, but I will still go into RZ's with a good attitude and compare it to the original as little as possible.

Flash Over
07-01-2007, 09:06 AM
I'll watch the original EXACTLY before I leave to the mall to see RZ's Halloween...not to compare but just cause I can =P

HannibalBEATNGU
07-01-2007, 02:48 PM
I'll watch them all in the week building up to the remake (except the Halloween in name only part III).

Lucifer
07-02-2007, 02:16 AM
I'm not watching it , i want to try and judge thefilm on its own merrits

The Clash
07-02-2007, 06:51 AM
i dont know what ill do. ill probably watch a little.

FooFighters
07-02-2007, 07:07 AM
i will watch it the day before. smart thread!

renee30152
07-02-2007, 09:05 AM
I will watch it the night before I go check out the new movie. Can't wait! :D

Todd 78
07-02-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm not watching it , i want to try and judge thefilm on its own merrits

Yep. I have started a Halloweeen embargo until August 31.

MyersFan75
07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Yep. I have started a Halloweeen embargo until August 31.

No Halloweens until August 31st?

Or just the original?

:bigeyes:

Todd 78
07-02-2007, 09:22 AM
No Halloweens until August 31st?

Or just the original?

:bigeyes:

Particularly the original, but I doubtI'll watch any before than, although I get the itch to put part IV on. I have watched the 25 anniversary, and the cut above a rest documentary

renee30152
07-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Kildo, I am very confused by your post. :D

WhiteZombie
07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I problably will. Not to compare, but to get myself in the mood. Although all this damn excitment will be enough.

njdevs03champs
07-02-2007, 10:16 PM
That sounds like a great idea!!

alienchrissy
07-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Im planning on watching the whole series before I see the new one. My friends havent seen any of the Halloweens so Ive convinced them to have a Halloween marathon before the new one comes out so they can go see it with me in theaters, so they at least have to see the first 2 before they see Rob Zombies film

Lucifer
07-04-2007, 08:20 AM
All of them? including 3 ?

mmyers78
07-06-2007, 07:54 AM
i voted no because i want to go into rz's halloween with an open mind or else all through the movie i'll just end up comparing the two and i dont want to do that.

Crystal Lake'80
07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm going to watch H1,H2, and H20 with a group of friends the day before we go to see the new one.

ColadaSplash
07-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm not going to watch the original. I really don't see the point because I've seen it already.

I understand the whole movie marathon thing, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it myself before the film opened.

njdevs03champs
07-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I'll end up watching all of the Halloweens before the new one comes out.

DareDevil5016
07-10-2007, 11:22 AM
i am going to watch jc's halloween first then see the new one twcie that day

Lucifer
07-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Why you watching it twice on the same night?

Padams
07-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't want any impression of John Carpenter's masterpiece in my brain while viewing this movie. I know the original better than I know my mother, so to say that I won't be comparing the two is rubbish. I'll at least be open minded enough to accept RZ's movie as simply an interpretation of JC's creation. I find it fun to torture myself and sit through screenings criticizing every little thing -- in my head, of course.

scoob
07-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I voted no as like many, know the original off by heart. I also want to go in somewhat fresh minded, especially after all this time. I want to just appreciate the film for what it will be.
If the film sucks or if its good/great will depend on it's own merits the first time I watch it.

Bogatyri
07-18-2007, 10:33 PM
I will surely be watching the original Halloween before I see RZ's. I watch all the Halloweens pretty regularly so it wont be some special occasion for me, but it will be sort of nostalgic, kind of like a build up to the opening.

Shamrock-Robot
07-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Im not gonna watch any Halloween film again until after I see RZ's Halloween, I havent watched any Halloween's in about 2 months and Im gonna hold off till I see the new one, I just want to go into this one fresh and not burnt out on Michael Myers.

Khan
07-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Im not gonna watch any Halloween film again until after I see RZ's Halloween, I havent watched any Halloween's in about 2 months and Im gonna hold off till I see the new one, I just want to go into this one fresh and not burnt out on Michael Myers.

Great avatar and signature!

On topic, I don't watch the original that often, so I likely won't see it before the remake comes out.

kooshdidude
07-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Yeh ill be watching it... ill probs watch the whole series tbh, just to get me in the mood!!! lol :yar: :D

MyersFan75
07-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Wow. 12 people voted this thread pointless.

Ouch. :)

DrReAnimator
07-24-2007, 09:45 PM
The reason I've decided to wait until afterwards is because I've felt the affects of comparing the two. Only a few nights ago, to be precise. I happened upon a copy of the script to Rob Zombie's Halloween and decided that, for atmospheric purposes, I'd watch/listen to John Carpenter's original in order to compare. There is a distinct feeling I get whenever I watch the original, an undescribable sensation that sends shivers down my spine and chills my blood, but while trying to compare the two, that feeling was lost. However, when I shook off this senseless need to compare the two and enjoy them individually, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed Zombie's rendition. Both are unique works, made so through the eyes of the director, and should be seen as such.

To be quite honest, I think that Zombie's got decent film on the way and we won't be disappointed with the final result.

MyersFan75
07-24-2007, 10:35 PM
The reason I've decided to wait until afterwards is because I've felt the affects of comparing the two. Only a few nights ago, to be precise. I happened upon a copy of the script to Rob Zombie's Halloween and decided that, for atmospheric purposes, I'd watch/listen to John Carpenter's original in order to compare. There is a distinct feeling I get whenever I watch the original, an undescribable sensation that sends shivers down my spine and chills my blood, but while trying to compare the two, that feeling was lost. However, when I shook off this senseless need to compare the two and enjoy them individually, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed Zombie's rendition. Both are unique works, made so through the eyes of the director, and should be seen as such.

To be quite honest, I think that Zombie's got decent film on the way and we won't be disappointed with the final result.

That's a damn fine post.

Well said. I can certainly relate to what your saying here. Especially about that feeling you get when watching the original.

Boogeyman Beau
08-12-2007, 10:49 PM
I voted option 3, although I could possibly change my mind between now and then by watching the original before 8/31 gets here. My vote was based primarily on past history.

In 1998, after seeing the Sony/Tristar Godzilla remake (aka GINO for Godzilla In Name Only) I came home and popped the 1956 original in the VCR. I wanted to get the remake off my mind. But I don't expect RZ's Halloween to be as disappointing as that movie was. I'm what you might call cautiously optimistic.

Hope I wasn't too far off-topic with this post.

moviestud87
08-12-2007, 11:09 PM
idk if you guys saw this or not but ifc is going to show it the night of and the night before the new movie comes out.

Fiberawptic
08-21-2007, 04:22 PM

Totally makes sense and convinced me to do this. Plus i can watch JC's version just sitting back and relaxing but i want to be on the edge of my seat with RZ since ive never seen it before. And i like to handle the bigger stuff first and do the simpler stuff after word which in the case is watching JC's halloween.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-21-2007, 04:41 PM
For me, options 2 and 3 are essentially the same, though I will watch the original afterward, so I chose #3.

I've gone a long time without watching the original, for this very reason, and I'm not gonna watch it again until after I see the new one. Obviously, I'm going to be drawing parallels, anyway, even if it's subconsciously...but I don't want to be comparing them point-for-point. I want to at least give the new one a chance to exist as its own film. Since it's obviously going to be different from the original in many ways, I'd like to view it that way first. And then, of course, I'll rewatch the original and compare away.

MichaelJrdnMyrs
08-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm going to take a portable tv and DVD player into the theater and watch them both at the same time.

*wanted*
09-30-2007, 03:25 PM
i never got a chance to
busy life u know haha

but i would recomend anyone going to see the new one...to watch the classic if they havent alredy...infact i would tell them to go rent out everyone halloween except 3 (coz it a waste fo time if u wanna get the whole story of micheal alone)

WhiteZombie
09-30-2007, 07:47 PM
i never got a chance to
busy life u know haha

but i would recomend anyone going to see the new one...to watch the classic if they havent alredy...infact i would tell them to go rent out everyone halloween except 3 (coz it a waste fo time if u wanna get the whole story of micheal alone)

There's absoulty no reason to see the entire series. Its not like this is a sequel.

Boogeyman Beau
10-01-2007, 07:06 PM
There's absoulty no reason to see the entire series. Its not like this is a sequel.

Yeah, I'd recommend the Original & H2 to anyone seeing the remake. Anyone seeing just the original & remake would think the whole "Laurie as Michael's sister" angle was RZ's idea.

slasherama
10-05-2007, 04:00 AM
i watch halloween resurrection before i saw saw rz's just to get me pumped for it. besides if i would have watched the original i would have been comparing them andi would have hated the remake

Mr. Bruce
10-05-2007, 04:21 AM
I went and saw RZ HalloweeN then came home and watched JC's. John Carpenter's HalloweeN is fair better then Rob's IMO no matter now nice it was seeing Danielle Harris topless.

EvilOnTwoLegs
10-05-2007, 06:40 AM
i watch halloween resurrection before i saw saw rz's just to get me pumped for it. besides if i would have watched the original i would have been comparing them andi would have hated the remake
See, that's the right idea...watch the last (godawful) film in order to prepare for the new one. Maybe if people compared it more to H:R and less to H1, there would be more positive comments. haha

metallicabowler
10-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I didn't want to watch the original before seeing the remake as, like it says, I would have compared the two. I kind of wanted to see "House of 1000 Corpses" before seeing this but, based on the same principle, I didn't.

I wasn't looking for nods to the original since I knew I'd notice them right away anyway. (I know Halloween backwards and forwards.)