PDA

View Full Version : Best zombies?

Siouxsie
05-27-2007, 08:54 PM
What are your favorite zombies from any zombie film?

I think the zombies in Zombi 2 are the scariest. I like zombies that have been dead for a long time, and are decayed. Not like the NOLD series where they are mostly "fresh".

The zombies in the M.J.'s Thriller video are actually pretty scary too, I think.

Rich
05-28-2007, 09:20 AM
My favorite zombie is probably Fly Boy's zombie from Romero's Dawn of the Dead. I remember, when I first watched that movie, I was so disturbed when that elevator door opened and there he was a dead and messed up. I also thought it was creepy how Roger's zombie just rises up as if out of a grave, roght before Peter has to shoot him.

Khan
05-28-2007, 09:45 AM
The best zombie ever is the worm zombie from Lucio Fulci's Zombi/Zombi 2.

wyatt s
05-28-2007, 09:53 AM
My favorite zombies are the zombies in Day of the Dead/Night of The living dead remake. Those zombies to me are brilliant. I can't get into the Zombi 2 zombies because they've always looked kind of cheesey to me. That and I find the movie a bit boring. I also can't get into the modern running zombies because it doesn't make sense to me.

Khan
05-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Zombies don't run!

wyatt s
05-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Zombies don't run!

auh, yeah totally in agreement there. Makes no sense to me, anatomically speaking.

WhiteZombie
05-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Day of the Dead Zombies are possibley the best looking. Mostly because by this time there starting to decay more. Zombi 2's are pretty cool, its just Romeros movies are alot better, making the Zombies just...better.

Khan
05-29-2007, 05:47 AM
Yeah, Romero created the modern zombie, so I will forever idolize him.

NightmareMan84
05-29-2007, 07:17 AM
I love Romero's zombies, especially in Day of the Dead, but my favorites are the ones in Fulci's Zombie and The Gates of Hell. I wouldn't want to meet those guys in a dark alley.

Khan
05-29-2007, 08:56 AM
I have to give a mention to the zombies in Burial Ground, as they had a great look to them.

Rich
06-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree that zombies DON'T run. I also liked the movie Burial Ground a lot. I just rented it one day because it looked cool and it became one of my favorite zombie movies.

MMyers89
06-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Zombi 2 has the scariest to me, you could smell those suckers in your living room.

Day of the Dead has great looking zombies, and Burial Ground has some that are scary as hell too.

Khan
06-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Zombi 2 has the scariest to me, you could smell those suckers in your living room.

Day of the Dead has great looking zombies, and Burial Ground has some that are scary as hell too.

Fulci knew how to do a zombie movie just right.

Bub the zombie is an excellent zombie.

The zombies in Burial Ground somehow had advanced weapons and siege training.:roflmao:

Silverpsycho
06-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Romero's zombies are of course my favorite but as winners of best looking, most convincing and most scary...the victorious ones are from Fulci's Zombi 2.
However, my personal favorite zombie out there is and always will be Flyboy...that walk was perfect!

Chuck D
06-08-2007, 03:21 AM
Tar-Man from ROTLD, probably.

zombie commando
06-08-2007, 06:52 AM

Hell yeah!

Actually Bub's my favorite zombie.

Rich
06-13-2007, 10:41 AM
my personal favorite zombie out there is and always will be Flyboy

Flyboy was the definitive zombie in all of zombie movies for me. I think it was a nice touch by George [and/or Tom] to give Flyboy and Roger more eleborate zombie make-ups then the rest of the zombies, because these were characters we cared about and it makes it all the more devestating to see what had happened to them.

Khan
06-13-2007, 10:56 AM

BRAINSSSSSSS!!!

MORE BRAINSSSS!!!!

Chuck D
06-13-2007, 02:37 PM
BRAINSSSSSSS!!!

MORE BRAINSSSS!!!!

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive/rotld/tarmanface.jpg

Rich
06-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Tarman is an awesome zombie!!!! You know, I was watching Return of the Living Dead Rave from the Grave on sci-fi and the movie sucked, but when I saw Tarman, I was like, "Oh fuck yea! Now this movie is watchable, just because of Tarman!"

I wish they would have put him in Return Part 3. I would have liked to see him interact with the hot chick zombie.

Shamrock-Robot
07-15-2007, 09:18 PM
I really like the Zombie's from Day, I like how they have gotten stronger and can tear people's head's off.

Donnie Darko
07-16-2007, 05:13 AM
when someone says to me the words "best zombie" then Bub will always be the first in my mind. bub is the all time coolest zombie, hands down, no argument there. theres also gotta be an honorable mention for Flyboy from the original dawn as well for doing a hell of a job playing a zombie with his broken ankle and flailing gun.

there is a few more that will stick out to me though, not as much as the best zombies but ones that just stick out. the bald monk looking fella from the original Dawn was pretty cool, the guy that resembles Maynard from Tool. the little girl zombie from the original Night has always stuck out to me because you dont see many kid zombies for some casting reason, my guess is parents dont wanna see their kids "dead". there would probably be an issue of kids acting the part, an example would be the fast moving anti-rigor mortis kids attacking ken foree in dawn. i liked melinda clarke from return 3 for making zombification hot and doing body mods not to feel pain but to get her mind off the pain, thats definitely a change up.
just a few that come to mind.

Pug-a-Licious
07-16-2007, 05:45 AM
While I don't consider her to be a "best" zombie..I do love the nurse in the original Dawn of the Dead...I just love looking for her, she cracks me up. The original DOTD is prob my favorite zombie movie as of right now. I'm prob one of the rarities, because I love the remake as well...fast moving zombies scare the hell out of me.

I love Bub from Day, I don't know how anyone couldn't :D I also really like Big Daddy from Land of the Dead.

I just watched Zombi 2 the other day for the first time, very entertaining, good zombies...and I love the zombie vs shark scene, I'm sorry, but it cracked me up.

Khan
07-16-2007, 05:49 AM
While I don't consider her to be a "best" zombie..I do love the nurse in the original Dawn of the Dead...I just love looking for her, she cracks me up. The original DOTD is prob my favorite zombie movie as of right now. I'm prob one of the rarities, because I love the remake as well...fast moving zombies scare the hell out of me.

I love Bub from Day, I don't know how anyone couldn't :D I also really like Big Daddy from Land of the Dead.

I just watched Zombi 2 the other day for the first time, very entertaining, good zombies...and I love the zombie vs shark scene, I'm sorry, but it cracked me up.

Zombi 2 is amazing!

The zombie vs shark scene is classic.

Dawn Of The Dead is my favourite movie of all time.

Pug-a-Licious
07-16-2007, 06:20 AM
I still remember the first time I saw the original Dawn..I was a late bloomer in zombie movies, the only ones I had seen was ROTLD and ROTLD 2...but it was about 10 years ago..I was laying on my couch, on my birthday after renting a boat load of horror movies for the day, so I could just relax. I can't say that about alot of movies, remember what I was doing or where I was when I first watched it, but I remember putting it in and loving it. I saw Day right after that, and I really enjoy it, but Dawn is the one that I happened to dig the most. It just seem...more real for me I guess, than Day.

LOL I'm SO glad I have netflix, because even though I have a nice little collection of horror movies, you can never seem to get them ALL..and I have been wanting to see certain movies for a long time, but didn't want to actually BUY them without seeing them...just in case. Zombi 2 was one of the ones I had heard about and wanted to see.

Khan
07-16-2007, 06:27 AM
I got into zombie movies through the Dawn remake in 2004, and had to check out more.

I was a late bloomer to horror in general, only seeing my first true horror movie (Psycho) when I was 15 and my first gore flick (Lucio Fulci's House By The Cemetary) when I was 17.

Pug-a-Licious
07-16-2007, 06:32 AM
I suppose I'm lucky.. I had parents that didn't monitor what I watched growing up, and we had HBO LOL I recorded ALOT of horror movies on the vcr. ROTD was one of them..I remember watching it OVER and OVER. Our little town had a SMALL horror section at the video store, and nothing too great there but the mainstream stuff. I grew up on horror, but it was limited to certain movies over and over again, mostly Friday the 13ths and Halloween (of course my town didn't get any sequels to Halloween past part III for a LONG time) ..and NOES. So I missed ALOT of gems along the way growing up, and trying to make up for that now :D

Shamrock-Robot
07-16-2007, 06:45 AM
I got into horror at a young age by watching Joe Bob Briggs MonsterVision on TNT every friday or saturday night, They showed stuff like ROTLDII and NOTLD 1990 and alot of the stuff scared the shit outta me but I was glued to it for some reason and I made a point to watch Monstervision every friday or saturday.

Khan
07-16-2007, 07:02 AM
I was easily scared as a kid, so it was a good thing I didn't watch horror movies.

I made myself watch as much horror as possible until nothing scared me.

Pug-a-Licious
07-16-2007, 07:13 AM
I was easily scared as a kid, so it was a good thing I didn't watch horror movies.

I made myself watch as much horror as possible until nothing scared me.

LOL Well, whatever works right? There are still random horror movies that will scare me, or make me jump :D

I think, for me, zombie movies aren't exactly frightening in themselves, but the THOUGHT of zombies in reality freaks me out. The "what if" it COULD happen just freaks me out. I'll be first to admit when we moved here, and we went by the cemetery my first thought was "Well..IF zombies ever happen this is the direction they will come from first" to which I pointed it out to my husband who looked at me as if I had lost my mind. I can't help if I have a vivid imagination!

I know alot of people don't like the running zombies, but the Dawn remake freaks me out soooo bad on many levels. That little girl is just FREAKY the way she jumps and runs. Oh and I really freaked out on the baby zombie. Mostly because my son was just a few months old when I watched it... I had to pause, get up and walk away for a minute. THAT is rare for me.

Khan
07-16-2007, 07:30 AM
I have a hard time watching the zombie baby scene in the Dawn remake because my parent side kicks in.

That scene was initially going to be far more graphic.

Pug-a-Licious
07-16-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm glad it was NOT more graphic, and I'm glad it didn't show them killing the baby...zombie or not, like you said, the parental thing kicks in.

Khan
07-16-2007, 07:52 AM
SPOILER: The zombie baby scene was originally going to portray the baby killing the mother. It was altered due to its graphic nature.

On topic, I am not too keen on the running zombies.

wyatt s
07-16-2007, 08:08 AM
I am not too keen on the running zombies.

Running zombies can be creepy, and they can indead be scary, I just don't like them because from a purely scientific stand point (and I know, bringing science into a zombie movie is pretty rediculous but so be it) it doesn't make any sense to me. And because of that I am personally not scared by them, because I find them absurd.

Donnie Darko
07-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Running zombies can be creepy, and they can indead be scary, I just don't like them because from a purely scientific stand point (and I know, bringing science into a zombie movie is pretty rediculous but so be it) it doesn't make any sense to me. And because of that I am personally not scared by them, because I find them absurd.

i prefer the slow zombies over the cokehead zombies but the running zombies arent completely wrong according to science. rigor mortis starts to set in minutes after death and its speed is determined on things like the ambient temperature, the health of the person, and cause of death. it takes anywhere between 12 to 72 hours to fully set in.

the exception here being that the fast zombies zombify almost instantly after death so theyre screaming and kicking before rigor has time to even set in which would make their bodies stay softer giving them easier movement for a longer amount of time. i would guess rigor would set in at least 3 times slower if theyre still moving around, maybe even slower than that since theyre not just walking outside to get the sunday newspaper but theyre moving fast, hunting even. so i think its feasible.

another aspect would be to say the severity of the disease/chemicals/re-agents (or whatever you have) could also effect them more or less depending on how strong and effective that is. if it can regenerate anything dead the who is to say that 5x that amount wouldnt make them have faster spasms.

while i still think the slower zombies are more effective cinematically there is some logic behind both types. personally i wouldnt go as far as to call the fast ones absurd at all. more absurd then the conception of zombies anyways.

wyatt s
07-16-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm not really referring to rigor mortis at all, although that is an aspect of it. It just doesn't make any sense to me that if someone were to die and come back they would still have full control over all of their motor skills. It seems to me they would have less "brain power" and as such would have far less control over their body movement and thus it would seem that they wouldn't be really capable of doing things such as running and the like.

Khan
07-16-2007, 08:57 AM
I think that a zombie type of virus is quite possible with all of the scientists playing God these days.

wyatt s
07-16-2007, 09:00 AM
I think that a zombie type of virus is quite possible with all of the scientists playing God these days.

That's a truly horrifying notion. I don't know how close we are today to being able to produce something like that, but it does certainly seem that we are headed toward a world where such things are not altogether unthinkable.

Khan
07-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Resident Evil has a slight basis in truth with its story, as people today are experimenting with various chemicals and formulae to halt aging and/or increase the the human lifespan.

Also, they may not be exactly like a zombie, but voodoo produces eerie results and that is very simple science that doesn't need a labrotory.

WhiteZombie
07-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Walking is definetly better. Also way more correct, as far as Zombies go.

Hallow's Eve
07-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Who knows, maybe they will come up with some kind of serum to inject dead bodies and make them come to life like "Re-animator" some day. As far as which Zombies I like, that would be the ones from "Zombie" (or Zombi 2), they are the scariest and most realistic looking I think.

Shamrock-Robot
07-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Walking Zombies definately are the best as far as Im concerned.

Khan
07-25-2007, 05:07 AM
I am not too keen on running zombies either.

ROTLD is the exception.

Shamrock-Robot
07-27-2007, 09:43 AM
ROTLD is the only exception I have.

Khan
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
In the Dawn remake, there is one scene with a one-armed athletic sprinter zombie that irritates me.

Shamrock-Robot
07-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Like Romero himself said, If the dead tried to run their legs would break in half due to the rot.

cinezombi
07-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Go ahead and hate me, I like the fast moving zombies. I will always be devoted to George's Films but, It isn't everyone bag to have something slow after you and not everyone likes the political back story that George brings out. The fast zombies made it possible for zombies to be scary to a general audience again.

WhiteZombie
07-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Go ahead and hate me, I like the fast moving zombies. I will always be devoted to George's Films but, It isn't everyone bag to have something slow after you and not everyone likes the political back story that George brings out. The fast zombies made it possible for zombies to be scary to a general audience again.

:gtfo:

Joking. Running zombies are cool. But nothing too walkers.

Shamrock-Robot
07-28-2007, 08:42 AM
I will stick with walking zombies myself.

Twisted Sister
10-14-2008, 09:23 AM
1. Julie, of course!!!! (ROTLD 3)
2. Bub - Day 85'
3. Tarman - ROTLD
4. Mr. McGruder - NOTLD 90'
5. Sarah - NOTLD 90'
6. Worm & Maggot Zombie - Zombie 2
7. Mata Hari Zombie (or whatever) - Dawn 78'
8. Luda - Dawn 04'
9. Vivian - Dawn 04'
10. Andy - Dawn 04'

Khan
10-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Hare Krishna zombie. ;)

Twisted Sister
10-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Whoops. I knew it was something like that. Don't tell anybody. Mata Hari popped into my head.
Add on Michael Jackson zombie from ROTLD 2 :)

zombie commando
10-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Whoops. I knew it was something like that. Don't tell anybody. Mata Hari popped into my head.
Add on Michael Jackson zombie from ROTLD 2 :)That part where they get electrocuted really cracked me up as a kid.

Twisted Sister
10-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Oh god it was so horrible it was good, lol..I just got this in on DVD finally.

jbyrd123
10-19-2008, 07:51 AM
I would have to go with Romero's Dawn of the dead, but I also like the Zombies from Return of the living dead as well they would be alot harder to survive because they can't easily be killed.

Brimstone
10-19-2008, 02:09 PM
The cemetery Zombie from the original Night of the Living Dead has always been one of my favorites.The worm zombie from Fulci's Zombie is another.

The Frightmaster
03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I like the zombies from Day of the Dead(1985). The were really mangled and messed up looking.

Khan
03-29-2009, 06:11 PM
I like the zombies in all of Romero's "Dead" films. :D

The Dark Knight
03-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Flyboy!

Lord Thurisaz
03-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I say that Bub and Flyboy were the best zombies. I like the "Mummy" action David Emge has going on when he comes out of the elevator.

Torgo
03-29-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm quite partial to the Dawn of the Dead zombies. They could be mistaken for smurfs at some points, but heck I love 'em anyway.

TouchMe4Money
03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I would absolutely have to say the best zombies I've ever seen in a horror movie are in Pet Sematary. You can see and feel the pure humanity through the evil, yet they are actually pure evil. And they are truly terrifying. I can't say that about any of Romero's zombies that I've seen.

I'm quite partial to the Dawn of the Dead zombies. They could be mistaken for smurfs at some points, but heck I love 'em anyway.
:roflmao:

The Frightmaster
03-29-2009, 06:35 PM

I'm not a big fan of the zombies from the original Dawn of the Dead zombies. I'm a special effects kind of guy, so I like zombies to have a lot of character to them.

But I will say I did like Zombified Stephen in the original DOTD.

Khan
03-29-2009, 06:38 PM

The vacant look of the Hare Krishna zombie as it goes after Fran is quite menacing, as its utter lack of emotion while going about the goal of eating human flesh is reminiscent of some of our daily lives.

TouchMe4Money
03-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm not a big fan of the zombies from the original Dawn of the Dead zombies. I'm a special effects kind of guy, so I like zombies to have a lot of character to them.

But I will say I did like Zombified Stephen in the original DOTD.
Agreed on Stephen.

In terms of character, my favorite individual zombies are Tarman from Return of the Living Dead and Nathan Grantham from Creepshow.

Khan
03-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Agreed on Stephen.

In terms of character, my favorite individual zombies are Tarman from Return of the Living Dead and Nathan Grantham from Creepshow.

I want my cake!

TouchMe4Money
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I want my cake!
"It's Father's Day, Bedelia!!"

Lord Thurisaz
03-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Tarman rules; can't believe I forgot him! Is he in all of the sequels?

TouchMe4Money
03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Tarman rules; can't believe I forgot him! Is he in all of the sequels?
I don't think he's in either. But I don't count the new ones. Just the first three.

And, yes; he does rule!

Khan
03-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Tarman makes an appearance in at least one of the Sci-Fi pieces of crap.

Lord Thurisaz
03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
He does appear in 2, I believe... It's when the main kid goes to the place where the canister is and then a zombie pops out and scares the living bejesus out of him.

Edit: He's also in Rave to the Grave.