PDA

View Full Version : Would Donald Pleasence Have Returned?

Myers Insurance
04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm just curious as to everyone's reactions, but do you think that IF Donald Pleasence was still alive today, that he would've returned to play Dr. Loomis in the new movie?

mcilroga
04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
No. I mean... he was dedicated, but he wasn't that dedicated. For God's sake, he'd have been 87! I think he'd be on a beach sucking back a Piña Colada or something.

Laow-Z
04-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Exactly....waaaaaay too old. Looked like he was about to keel over in H6.

Dark Vampire
04-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah I think he’d be to old

Random fact I was born in the same town as Donald Pleasence (Worksop UK) I don’t live there now moved when I was 18

I wonder if my Granddad knew him they were both born and or raised in Worksop and were only 1 year in age apart so I think there’s a chance it was only a small town really so they may of gone to the same school or something.

Myers Insurance
04-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I did remember him doing an interview saying he'd stop at 22. He was probably lying, but still is interesting to note.

benluvin
04-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I think he would have been too old. If he was able, then there's a good chance. I just don't think he would be physically able to. I think H6 looked hard enough for him.

MMyers89
04-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Some people that are that old are in great condition, and I think if Pleasance was in that kind of position, he would play Dr. Loomis in the remake.

MyersFan927
04-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Would they want him? It's a remake...new actors, different takes.

I'm sure he'd have returned for H7. I'd bet that H20 wouldn't have gone in such direction if he was alive.

DeanCorso
04-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Donald his a great actor but i think he wouldnt have return to play Loomis, what would have been the point for him to play his character once again in the same basic original story he did in 78.

i agree with you MyersFan927...with Donald Pleasence H20 would have definitely not gone in the direction it decided to take.

The Kilted One
04-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I think that if they wanted him, and he was physically able, he'd have loved to return.

No offence to the great Donald Pleasence, God rest his soul, but he was about to keel over in H6... it was still a hell of a performance, though.

shoe1985
04-27-2007, 07:21 PM
If he was alive H20 would probably not have happened. We would of gotten a direct sequel to H6, or something close to that. A remake would not be heard of. He wasn't a big draw, but I know I went to the Halloween movies just to watch him perform. He was an amazing actor.

ILoveHalloween3
04-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Some people that are that old are in great condition, and I think if Pleasance was in that kind of position, he would play Dr. Loomis in the remake.

Exactly. I saw Ernest Borgnine the other day, and he still looks great, and can totally act, and he's... 90.

If they wanted him, he could easily reprise his role in the "Escape From N.Y." remake.

I think it all boils down to health. Unfortunately Donald's health was failing him by 1995, but had he stayed healthy, I think he would returned, no problem, even at 87 to reprise Loomis in a remake.

I mean, Donald was and still IS the heart & soul of the "Halloween" franchise as far as i'm concerned. His spirit still lives on. :bow:

ALDO
04-28-2007, 04:01 AM
Donald his a great actor but i think he wouldnt have return to play Loomis, what would have been the point for him to play his character once again in the same basic original story he did in 78.

i agree with you MyersFan927...with Donald Pleasence H20 would have definitely not gone in the direction it decided to take.

I'm not too sure if he would have taken the role either. If it was a sequel then possibly. At the end of the day Rob Zombie wouldn't have wanted him to play Loomis again. This movie will be compared to the original as it is and casting the same actor to play such an important character would have been a bad move i think.

Todd
04-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Donald wasn't exactly in good health back when they were filming H6, which was close to 13 years ago. Even if he was still alive and in good shape, I doubt they would have wanted him for a remake. I can't think of any movie remake that has used the same leading actor who originated a role.

The Frightmaster
04-28-2007, 12:37 PM
If Donald took the role of Dr. Loomis the character would have to much older than in the original. They probably couldn't count on donald returning for any of the sequels if any are made because if he was still alive he'd be pretty old. I think someone wrote that he would be 87, so yeah. Since he would be so old he probably couldn't continue after RZ's halloween then they would have to find another Loomis or continue without the Loomis character which I would hate either one.I would hate for Donald to play him in only one movie of a possible new series and then have a different person play him in the next movie. And I would hate if they killed off the Loomis because I like the character.After Donald died and the Loomis character died in the original series the series was never the same. And also I don't know if Rob or who ever would want him to play the part because Rob is remaking halloween he would probably want someone different, somone younger.So I don't think Donald would of come back or if he would even be asked back.

renee30152
04-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I agree. He has stated in an itnerview I believe that he would come back if it was the hundredth Halloween.
I think he would if where able too.

The Frightmaster
04-28-2007, 02:57 PM
But my question is since he would be 87 would be asked to do another one. Because I think that since it's a remake Rob wouldn't want him to play Loomis but if It was going to be a sequel instead of a remake then maybe donald could of returned.

Lupinus
04-28-2007, 03:12 PM
as a remake I don't think so. He'd be way to old. But as sequals yeah I think he would keep going as long as he could.

ten31
04-28-2007, 04:56 PM
If he was alive H20 would probably not have happened. We would of gotten a direct sequel to H6, or something close to that. .

Who knows, maybe it might of been him getting killed at the beginning instead of Marion.

Myers_0728
04-28-2007, 06:23 PM
If he were alive, maybe he would come in for a quick role/cameo. It would please the Halloween fans (including myself). But, no he wouldn't return to play his role. He was too old.

bucky01403
04-28-2007, 06:32 PM
The lack of Donald Pleasance is the only major downfall of Zombie's Halloween so far. Danielle Harris makes up for it though.

Frazetta
04-28-2007, 07:40 PM
No way he would have returned for obvious reasons but I do think if he was alive today he'd give both Rob Zombie & Malcolm McDowell his blessing.

brandon13
04-28-2007, 08:40 PM
He would have been to old.

Crystal Lake'80
04-29-2007, 07:48 PM
I think he would have respected the remake and handed on the role to Malcom.

Danyuld
04-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah I think he’d be to old

Random fact I was born in the same town as Donald Pleasence (Worksop UK) I don’t live there now moved when I was 18

I wonder if my Granddad knew him they were both born and or raised in Worksop and were only 1 year in age apart so I think there’s a chance it was only a small town really so they may of gone to the same school or something.

LOL random fact... SO was I.
Lived in Retford tilli was 18, then nottingham, now in Toronto Canada.

Good to see another Worksop lad is a halloween fan :)

zombie commando
05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
If he came back to do H5 he'd come back to do anything.

madmax4000
05-11-2007, 01:30 AM
He Wouldnt Have Come Back
Simply Because Rob Zombie Is Looking For New People :)
Which I Think Is Good :nodsmile:

samhain51
05-11-2007, 05:56 AM
I agree with everyone , he would be too old on the other hand i would have liked to see a cameo like you guys said

Khan
05-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Pleasance has his legacy and respect as the original Loomis, so he wouldn't be worried about a remake if he was still alive.

Dark Agent
05-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Donald Pleasence would most likely have retired by now if he did not pass away.

wyatt s
05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Zombie most likely wouldn't have cast pleasence if he was alive anyway. He would probably have seen it as being untrue to the film he was trying to make. It would have been exact same thing he said about Jamie Lee Curtis.

DonaldPismyHero
05-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't think he would have cast him either. Aside from the fact that he would have been entirely too old, Zombie really has been sticking to his idea of a fresh new start, which I admire. I think McDowell is going to do an excellent job.

The Frightmaster
05-12-2007, 05:18 AM
Zombie most likely wouldn't have cast pleasence if he was alive anyway. He would probably have seen it as being untrue to the film he was trying to make. It would have been exact same thing he said about Jamie Lee Curtis.

What did he say about JLC.

slasher2040
05-13-2007, 04:54 PM
no, he'd be too old.

InTheDeep2007
05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I would have at least put Donald in this as a small role or something

punkrocklove
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
No, he wouldnt have. Rob would have been the daftest bread in the loaf to cast an the original actor in a remake
Do you see JLC starring as Laurie? No.
Fair enough Danielle Harris is back but she's playing a different character.

Zombie
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
If he were in good health and willing to do something, I bet they would have had him do a small role, or a cameo. But no, I doubt he would have been picked to play Loomis again.

sahin
05-23-2007, 11:15 PM
sure! why not? i mean he played looomis so many times and for so a long time. i think he would!!!

Jack-o-lanturn
05-27-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't think he would have taken the role because he would be to old. But one thing is for sure no offense, but the new Dr. Loomis won't be as great as Donald Pleasence.

stickalot
06-02-2007, 12:09 PM
no to old

PG Soul
06-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Nope.

InTheDeep2007
06-12-2007, 05:48 AM
I think if his health was in top shape, and he got a good deal, and if he was still alive, then he might have returned

MovieGod3000
07-04-2007, 09:43 PM
well it would be cool but he is too old, he'd be walking with a walker probably

Victim
07-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes, I think if he were still alive and physically able to withstand filming a movie, Donald Pleasence would definately have resumed his role as Dr. Loomis.

alienchrissy
07-05-2007, 06:00 PM
He would have been retired by this time. So no I dont think he would have been back. But I loved him and its not the same without him. It was really great though how dedicated he was to Halloween films

mmyers78
07-06-2007, 07:48 AM
he would of been way too old to play dr. loomis again, but if he wasnt i'm sure he would of loves to play him again

ColadaSplash
07-07-2007, 05:20 PM
He would have returned for H20. H20 would probably be a completely different film.

I doubt he would return for this remake. Casting the same actor for a remake is highly unlikely, and he would probably be too old now.

shoe1985
07-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I was just thinking, if he was alive, he would have probably played a minor role in this movie. Similar to Danielle, it would probably be a different role then what he previously played.

Butchered_victim
07-08-2007, 02:23 AM
I think he was very honest when he said he would stop at 22. I don't think he would've reprized his role as Loomis. Maybe a cameo or something wouldn't be out of the question. Still though it would've been bad ass to see him in the remake, even for just a cameo.

Nrious
07-23-2007, 08:23 AM
I think he would have returned for sure. And even as old as he would be now, if they altered the character a bit, made him retired, or something, I think he could play the part as good as ever.

brain eater
07-23-2007, 08:35 AM
No, as everyone has pointed out he would have been way to old.

Shamrock-Robot
07-23-2007, 10:17 PM
I think if he would have been in good health he would have returned, But I dont think a director would have wanted him in the remake though because that kinda defeats the point of a remake if you cast the same person for the same character.

Khan
07-24-2007, 03:43 AM
No, as everyone has pointed out he would have been way to old.

I agree.

Bogatyri
07-24-2007, 05:39 AM
No. I mean... he was dedicated, but he wasn't that dedicated. For God's sake, he'd have been 87! I think he'd be on a beach sucking back a Piña Colada or something.

Laurie: He was watching me.
Annie: LAURE! Mr. Loomis is 87!
Laurie: He can still watch.
Annie: Probably all he can do.

Psych0ticNemes1s
07-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Laurie: He was watching me.
Annie: LAURE! Mr. Loomis is 87!
Laurie: He can still watch.
Annie: Probably all he can do.

haha... very nice

muse-ic
08-02-2007, 06:58 AM
I doubt Zombie would have wanted him

Cereal Killer
08-07-2007, 01:09 PM
He would need a wheelchair if he did.

I say no. Maybe a little cameo like being a patient on the forensic psychiatric hospital's geriatric unit, but he'd be to old for the task of treating psychiatrist. I love the actor, but if you're gonna "remake"... you really need to remake. Like said prior too, he'd be way to old now.

RIP

YourAverageJoe
08-07-2007, 05:17 PM
It would've been nice to see him in a cameo as a crazy mental patient.

horrorfreak123
08-13-2007, 09:10 AM
If he was in the correct physical state I'm sure he would have, but being 87 I'm not sure there is a good chance of that.

Hallow's Eve
08-16-2007, 07:57 AM
I think he would have returned for sure. He was very loyal to the series, even when it was getting bad. For a high profile film like this he would deffinitely be on board.

renee30152
08-16-2007, 08:50 AM
I think he would have.

JHalloween1979
09-02-2007, 08:20 PM
This new movie would destroy his career.

nwiser
09-03-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm just curious as to everyone's reactions, but do you think that IF Donald Pleasence was still alive today, that he would've returned to play Dr. Loomis in the new movie?

If the price was right...he might. However the bigger question to be asked is if he were still alive and willing, would RZ have asked him to play Dr. Loomis?

I'm guessing no, seeing as how RZ initially wanted to distance his movie from the original series, which is why he was leery about Danielle until after her audition.

nwiser
09-03-2007, 07:51 AM
It would've been nice to see him in a cameo as a crazy mental patient.

actually, now that you mention it that really would have been a good idea...have him sitting in a wheelchair in the background of a shot or something mumbling softly "I shot him six times" over and over. :nodsmile:

Thurisaz
09-03-2007, 07:54 AM
This new movie would destroy his career.

If Puma Man or Halloween 5 didn't do it then nothing would have.

Myers Insurance
09-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Or Halloween 6's theatrical cut for that matter.

HALLOWEENSHAPE7
09-03-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm sure he would have returned. HOWEVER . . . he would be so old that he probably only had like two scenes of him sitting in a wheelchair or something and talking about michael, or maybe a shot of him telling the police where he was- I'm talking about a future movie. Im sure he wouldn't do the remake, maybe he'd be a side character.
The thing is, I don't care who the hell is playing the new Dr. Loomis. It can be anthony hopkins, jack nicholsen, johnny depp brad pitt i don't give a damn! No one will replace Donald Pleasance!!

Rich
09-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I think if Donald was still alive he would have. The only problem is he might be too old to be a convincing Loomis. The Loomis in the new movie sucked big time.

Khan
09-03-2007, 10:34 AM
If Puma Man or Halloween 5 didn't do it then nothing would have.

Good point.

bradleyvoorhees
09-03-2007, 10:58 AM

Donald would have returned. He DID in fact say he'd keep returning for as long as they made the Halloween movies. And hello, the story was SO DIFFERENT then J.C. intended that I'm sure, for Donald, it would feel as though he was preparing for a brandnew storyline. Plus, the actor they had play Loomis SUCKED majorly! And he too was old... He actually looked a LOT older then Donald did playing Loomis in H1. And since they were so off with casting (Like casting little Jamie Loyd to play a character, as apposed to letting her play Jamie when she died.) They should have had Jamie Lee come back to play the mother LoL

LiQuidIce944
09-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey guys,
I just wanted to put my 2 cents in about loomis in the new film. I think that he deffinetly died. He started internally bleeding, i think he is done. Also, i would expect the next film would go back to the series right after ressurection. Michael is dead and so its not like a whole new rob zombie series. So if loomis died or not, it seems to be insignificant. Anyone agree?

freethy
09-03-2007, 01:13 PM

And he actually did...lol

Silverpsycho
09-03-2007, 01:21 PM
If Pleasence had the ability to do so if he were still alive and was asked, he would most definitely have been up for anything. He loved the series and the portraying Loomis so he would have gone for as long as possible. He showed an appreciation for these films, no matter how bad the script. Pleasence was the man and he made the films far better than they actually were.

RazorBlade101
09-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I thought McDowell did a HELL OF A JOB!

What EXACTLY do you see in this guy that I dont that makes you think he was horrible ??? I think that nobody could have played the Loomis role any better then he did. He talked and acted EXACTLY like the original Loomis. Is it because he doesnt exactly look like him? Is it because he said one "F Word?" If its any of those stupid reasons, you guys just judge too much. He did fine.

wyatt s
09-04-2007, 08:10 PM
The bigger question for me at this point is, would he have approved of the direction that Zombie and McDowell took the character or not

Dr_Loomis02
09-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I think he would've wanted to, but his age would've been a problem I think. They likely would've cast someone else, like Mcdowell.

myerslilBRO
09-14-2007, 08:46 AM
If he were alive, i would have liked to see him in a cameo working at Smith's Grove...maybe just a quick blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of a cameo...that could have been fun...and i also agree with what someone said earlier, that if he were alive, H20 would have gone in a totally different direction instead of creating another continuity...then we wouldn't have had "HR", which would have been a blessing.

Reobeem
09-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Donald could have been the head of Smith's Grove since we saw the guy for less than a minute

Danny Strode
09-14-2007, 12:47 PM
That's a really interesting question. I know he was extremely loyal to the series and fans, but I don't know what it would be like at this point. I would've loved to see him in it.

4BarrelHemi
09-14-2007, 09:56 PM
I think he would have been in it.

ColadaSplash
09-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Never in a million years would have thought that McDowell was a bad casting choice...

And he was...

As for Donald... Even if he wanted to return, I think he would have been recast anyway. I don't believe there are many remakes that recast key characters. For example, PJ Soles wanted to be in it, but Rob refused to cast her. Danielle Harris got lucky, but didn't play the same character anyway.

Donald would have been in H20 though, and that would have been a very good thing.

Myers Insurance
09-15-2007, 06:43 AM
Danielle Harris got lucky, but didn't play the same character anyway.

How exactly could Danielle have played Jamie in the new film? :bastard:

NickSacco
09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
If he were alive, i would have liked to see him in a cameo working at Smith's Grove...maybe just a quick blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of a cameo...that could have been fun...and i also agree with what someone said earlier, that if he were alive, H20 would have gone in a totally different direction instead of creating another continuity...then we wouldn't have had "HR", which would have been a blessing.

exactly what i was thinking

JWILL2
11-02-2007, 10:02 AM

took the words right outta my mouth :nodsmile:

ThornMember83
11-05-2007, 09:55 AM
I am sure for the love that he had for the fans he would have at least made a cameo.

Evil on 2 legs
12-16-2008, 06:40 PM
"It would've been nice to see him in a cameo as a crazy mental patient"

LMFAO....I can just imagine it looooool !

HoozKook
01-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Some guy asked him "Hey donald when are you gunna stop making these Halloween movies" Donald simply replied "I'll stop on number 22", Just showed how much he loved making them

SasorRegateme
01-08-2009, 06:37 AM
I think he wouldn't have minded coming back, but the chances of him returning again especially since H2's coming out now, wouldn't been good do to age.

I was okay with Mc.Dowell.

Khan
01-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Some guy asked him "Hey donald when are you gunna stop making these Halloween movies" Donald simply replied "I'll stop on number 22", Just showed how much he loved making them

Akkad said that.

It was clarified in another thread when another person misattributed that statement.

The Devil's Reject
01-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Yeah I just saw that last night. Anyway Loomis would have been done after 6 honestly I can't think of why he decided to do six anyway.

SasorRegateme
01-08-2009, 07:27 AM
I can't think of why he decided to do six anyway.
The fans.